[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i into hunting /out/? a buddy (well maybe not that good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 14029354399_7f974e09c1_b.jpg (348KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
14029354399_7f974e09c1_b.jpg
348KB, 1024x819px
how do i into hunting /out/?

a buddy (well maybe not that good of a buddy because he won't take me hunting with him) of mine brought me some deer meat and it was delicious.

i don't care about trophies, but if i could stock my freezer with a couple dozen lbs of red meat for the price of some bullets and a tag, that'd be swell. how do?
>>
>>971716
>buy rifle
>put on scope
>go out in the woods during deer season
>shoot a deer
>gut it, butcher it
>?????
>profit
>>
>>971737
yeah, thats pretty much what my friend told me but i'm pretty sure there are some finer details i need to know about right?
>>
>>971740
Yeah. If you're doing things legal and on public land, there is a considerable time investment involved in most places.
>>
>>971740
Not really. It's really up to you how much you personally want to know about hunting certain species and their behaviors but you could just as well just walk in the woods and cross your fingers that something walks by.
>>
>>971744
>there is a considerable time investment involved in most places.
how so?

>>971745
i just want something tasty that will be worth stomping around the woods for a day. decent cuts of beef are like $3-$8 a lb where i'm at. if i can walk out with at least 40 lbs of meat, thats a day well spent.
>>
>>971716
Google hunting regulations < state name >?
>>
>>971752
If you don't know what you're doing, it's just luck. You may be able to get a deer your first time out, but it's not likely. If it were that easy, everybody would hunt; there would be no need to buy meat; and, shortly thereafter, there would be no game.
>>
File: 1489151106430.jpg (57KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489151106430.jpg
57KB, 480x480px
>Fill in a form with 2 additional signatures explaining your firearm usage, places you have already received permission to shoot and your gun rack location
>Pay for council firearm license
>Get interviewed by the police that come to your house
>Your GP gets written to
>Hopefully you don't get denied
>You can now buy a .22 rifle
>Now you are in a country without an inch of private land where all the deer are mostly kept on estates you have to pay to get on
>Apply and pay for a deer hunting license
>Finally tell your local council and any you will pass through you are on your way to private land with a license carrying a firearm in order to shoot deer during season on land you paid to access
Time to kill myself
>>
>>971760
>If you don't know what you're doing, it's just luck.
well then how do i figure out what i'm doing? googling "how to hunt deer" brings up a bunch of stuff that sounds like snake oil. is there a decent book on the subject? a manual or anything?
>>
>>971763
It would be best to learn from someone who knows what they are doing. If not, you're gonna have to do alot of reasearch, while recognizing and steering clear of consumerist propaganda. Remember that even when hunting, you are the hunted. It is the reality, and it helps you to see things from your prey's point of veiw.
>>
>>971752
don't get into hunting thinking you're going to get cheap meat
>>
>>971777
Holy trips speak truth.
>>
>>971777
then how come i see poor af rednecks who live in mobile homes that always have a freezer stocked with game meat?
>>
>>971783
Alot of them use illegal methods. Others are 6th generation hunters who totally know their shit.
>>
>>971783
i'm guessing because you are similar to these people? i've never met anyone like that
>>
>>971791
>Alot of them use illegal methods.

this would explain why none of them want to show me anything.
>>
>>971798
Yeah. It's very easy to spotlight deer at night. Very easy to drop a couple of battery cables in the water, Rev your engine, and harvest 50 fish in an hour. In my state, the law will take away your gun, your truck, $20,000, three years prison for a second offence, and a felony on your record. People still do it. A few consistently get away with it. Sometimes I think they do it more for the thrill of being an outlaw, rather than the meat.
>>
>>971793
Then you are blind or to privileged to notice.
>>
>>971761
Norway?
>>
>>971810
I forgot his name but a game warden from I think Idaho I was listening to on a hunting podcast was talking about exactly this. Very few poachers actually do it because they need meat, they do it for the rush and the bragging rights or to sell the meat, cape, and antlers for drug money.
>>
>>971815
United Kingdom
>>
>>971716
1.) Take a full live class hunter's safety course (not the partially online version offered to adults in many states)

2.) Ask questions, the other hunters and the instructors will be very helpful. Especially over the finer legal points, wildlife management zones in your state, etc.

3.) If you are new to guns, visit a range and ask a lot of questions, if not, make sure you are equipped with the right gun and right ammunition for your hunt.

4.) Study your state's wildlife publication, if you have any questions, contact the local wardens.

5.) Decide what type of hunting is best for you, your area, your target species, etc. Make sure you do your due diligence and are properly equipped. For example, if you are spot and stalk hunting you will need good optics, if you are ambush hunting scent control is paramount, etc.

6.) Make sure you have a big enough freezer and a butcher you have touched base with. I doubt you will want to invest the time and money right now that it takes to process your own meat so finding a butcher that knows what you want and fits in your budget is essential

7.) Deer season is in the autumn, if you start now you will have plenty of time to get ready for this year's hunt. Just remember your goals and keep realistic expectations. It's not dirt cheap, especially of you are starting out, but it is worth it for a lot of reasons.

8.) Good luck, be safe, and happy hunting

*Note
Meat hunting and trophy hunting are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>971835
thanks dude. any other tips?
>>
>>971716
Where do you live?

Most states rrquire a hunters education coursr before you can get tags.

The course in my state covers everthing from laws, to equipment, to shot placement, and gut/clean . Many of them have mentor programs for new hunters.

Call your local DNR or Fish&Game or what ever your state calls it.
>>
>>971716
Decide on the type of deer that live in your chosen hunting area.

Buy a suitable calibre rifle.

Buy some quiet material camo, boots, knives and a backpack.

Try to hunt in the cooler and wetter months when its more comfortable and you move quieter through the bush.

Find out when the deer rut in your region.

Always stalk with the wind in your face, deer will smell you from miles away.

WALK SLOWLY!!! Its not a race to clock up distance. Moving slow will allow you to pickup subtle changes in wind direction, you will find that winds can swirl in different terrain and also be affected by thermocline.

Take breaks often, no help if you are out of breath trying to take a shot. Being /fit/ is good.

Google about what a "gully head" is, deer spend a lot of time here.

Know your terrain before you head /out/, research topography and vegetation density, water sources, natural features - the aim is obviously to target where you think deer will be, this will change based on weather, wind and time of year - research the habits of your chosen species.

Learn what sign your species makes and leaves and how to tell if its age - tracks, scat ID, rubs, scrapes, wallows, sounds?
You want to know that you are atleast in the right area, and finding really fresh sign with wind/weather on your side is always encouraging.

Have a go! At the very least you went on a bushwalk with your gun.
>>
>>971763
what sounds like snake oil? deer hunting in the US is hugely popular and there's a lot of research being done each year on deer behavior and populations.

my advice would be to call up your state's deer biologist and ask them about how to get started on public land and what you should know about deer behavior. it's their job to know and provide that information to the public.
>>
>>971744
It honestly astounds me how hunters in my area rarely shoot anything when I have a herd of 14 deer regularly tearing my woods up
>>
>>973092
Deer, especially larger target buck, hunker down during the rifle hunt season after their rut. They steer clear of common waterholes, large open valleys, they find private land with no hunting, bed down all day, etc. They get a lot harder to find when you want to find them.
>>
>>973092
I own some property that I hunt. All my neighbors hunt too. Except one. The big city liberal that wanted a taste of country life, naturally. Anyway, he only has 40 acres but doesn't allow hunting. So after opening morning, my property has zero deer, all my other neighbors also have zero deer. Basically every single deer in the immediate area has ended up on his 40 acres. After the start of the season, they only leave his property at night.

Which means despite the area having a large - arguably overpopulated - deer population, hunting is almost futile; you simply won't encounter any to shoot.
>>
>>973560
Wont even let yall pay for use?
Is he one of those bleeding heart pacifist liberals?
>>
>>973571
>bleeding heart pacifist liberal
Well, he did have a Hillary sign up...
>>
File: 1473727539889.jpg (178KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473727539889.jpg
178KB, 700x800px
>>971819
*Kuckdom
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.