[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did anyone go to philmont as teenager? i worked there as an instructor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: images (2).jpg (13KB, 202x249px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
13KB, 202x249px
did anyone go to philmont as teenager? i worked there as an instructor last year, and will be again this summer.

if you're interested, ask me anything. got a slow night.
>>
>>967773
Ranger or Cons?
>>
>>967779
ranger, retiring to backcountry this summer.
>>
>>967773
How many kids have you molested?
>>
>>967786
3edgy5me
>>967784
Do you know which camp yet?
>>
I went, was p cool. My favorite part was the Indian Agent camp.
>>
>>967790
i actually don't know yet- i requested one with a campfire show, and the backcountry manager said he'd make it happen. still waiting on the call for where, i'm hoping for crater lake. climbin spar poles all day would be a hell of a time
>>
>>967773
Did it in '98. 52 miles.
>>
Our troop is rolling out there in the summer. 8 youth, 2 leaders.

Is it true stoves have to utilize those crap prefilled cannister bottles while on the trail?
>>
I wish I had gone when I was a lad.
I had many grand adventures in scouting, but Philmont slipped by.
>>
Do you rock any /out/ patches or pins with your scout swag?
>>
>>967773
What's the pay and work environment like at Philmont? I've worked summer camp staff before at residence camps in the past. Because of council political bullshit* I doubt I'll ever get rehired at the main camp I worked at and my contact for the second camp (Which was run by a different council) I worked at now works at a different council.

*An adjacent Council couldn't make pay role so National forced them to merge. People from the failed council ended up in charge and decided to cut costs by outsourcing Summer Camp Staffing to some shitty company from Utah that only hires Mormons from some school in Utah.
>>
>>967773
Did you complete the Poneal pancake challenge?
>>
>>967773
I did philmont as a scout and it was one of the best experiences I had in the organization.

Does philmont operate in the off season? I'd love to work there, but my current summer job pays too well.
>>
>>967773

Do they hire non-former scouts?
>>
Went twice as a youth in the 80's. Went in 2015 as an adult adviser. Going this summer again as an adviser. Taking 17 people total.

My retirement job plan is to work there as a logistics planner. These guys sit down with crew leaders and go through the details of each day of their trek and help them think about the details.

Big regret in life was not doing Rayado or getting on staff as a ranger.
>>
>>967854
An MSR wisperlite will work perfect.

https://www.msrgear.com/whisperlite

They can fill you up with white gas at the commissaries in the backcountry.
>>
>>968080

Don't know what the pay is like. The culture is very cool. Was there is 2015. Everybody on staff I encountered was nice and helpful.

We had a couple of staff members come up to us at Cito and recruit our crew to troll staff at other camps. They started in talking with us for over an hour. Great guys. Then when they went to leave, they asked where we were going next and told us to report an ostrich sighting at the next camp. I got the impression a lot of that kind of stuff goes on.

As you probably know, most scout camps have some degree of "challenging" people. I did not find any staff member there that was anything but a joy to be around.

I was really surprised by the number of females on staff and doing treks. Nearing 50% for staff and 30% for treks.

It looks like it would be blast to work there. If I were in college I would have probably done it for free as long as I got fed.
>>
File: 1434476090535.jpg (90KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1434476090535.jpg
90KB, 640x640px
>>967854
you will be told to bring whisperlites, and there are quite a few areas in the backcountry where you'll have a chance to refuel the canisters. they're really not that bad, and they're reliable at higher altitudes too. you're allowed to bring jetboils and other camp stoves if you please, but as long as staff is present, you'll have to cook meals with the whisperlite.

>>968024
nah, i'm pretty new to /out/.

>>968080
pay is shit, if you're looking to maximize profit over a summer there are much better options. that being said, food and housing is free, and you barely feel like you're doing work sometimes. all in all, you'll get a little south of three grand for one summer.

the work environment is fucking fantastic. the people there are, above all else, what brought me back. management and leadership take their job seriously, but aren't uptight twats. there are two basic types of people who work at philmont- you've got your super turbo scouts who aged out but wanna take their scouting experience to the next level, and you've people who genuinely love the land, but want to take a summer to live free and kick back. honestly these two groups are about 50/50- but with over 1,100 staff, you'll easily find a group to get along with. some of the craziest parties i've ever been to took place in the desert 20 miles outside of cimarron.

>>968688
christ no lol

>>968735
yes, but offseason hiring is usually restricted to people who have put in multiple summer seasons already.

>>968787
doubt it

>>969642
if you pass through clarks fork, i'll be there. logistics guys are truly living the dream, if you play your cards right you can even get a dorm to sleep in rather than a canvas tent.
>>
>>969769
>pay is shit, if you're looking to maximize profit over a summer there are much better options. that being said, food and housing is free, and you barely feel like you're doing work sometimes. all in all, you'll get a little south of three grand for one summer.
That sounds roughly comparable in pay to the first camp I worked at. Second camp probably payed me better, but I had a NCS card and ATV instructor certs when I worked there.

My biggest worry with wanting to work at Philmont is the program format, I'm used to running programs at residence camps.
>>
>>968787
Yes. You just need to register while you work there
>>969806
What is your concern? The program staff are at the same camp all summer, but the people you're with are cool enough that it doesn't really get stale
>>968735
They do have second season programs (Autumn and Winter adventure) which are open to crews. The staff for those positions tend to be camp directors and ranger leadership since there are very few positions (~12 for winter program).
>>969642
Enjoy the trek!
>>967854
We don't force people to use liquid or canister fuel. Liquid is nice since you can keep pumping to deal with depletion and altitude. You can get canisters and liquid fuel at backcountry commissaries (you should run into two or three on the trek). Be mindful that whatever stove you choose it ought to be able to heat ~4L effectively (small jet-boils have trouble )
>>
>>970449
>What is your concern? The program staff are at the same camp all summer, but the people you're with are cool enough that it doesn't really get stale
Just the format of things. I've always preferred to work programs that have me working with the same group of campers all week rather than ones that last s day or so like the Philmont backcountry camps. I'm a C.O.P.E guy and you don't get to see the same level of growth in a group in a one day class as you do in a week long program.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.