[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turns out there are some disused quarries near me that are pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: fossil.jpg (1018KB, 1500x1408px) Image search: [Google]
fossil.jpg
1018KB, 1500x1408px
Turns out there are some disused quarries near me that are pretty good for finding fossils. Anybody got any tips or safety precautions? I promise to post any cool stuff I discover.
>>
>>967574
Consider wearing hi-vis vests like the sort highway department crews wear when they're working on the roads. People will just assume you're out working on something and that you aren't causing trouble.
>>
>Find fossil
>Extract DNA
>Profit from theme park

Just don't spare any expense.
>>
>>967640
Good shout, thanks
>>
>>967674
>>
>>967574
Obviously a rock hammer is handle, pick end is good for harder rocks, but the chisel end type is good for shales and shit. Other than that... Just go bust open tons of rocks until you find shit.

Oh also if you do find something, like rocks usually split open preferentially around the fossil, but after that it's better to take a bigger chunk with you then try to chip away too much and break the fossil.

The hi viz vest and anything else to look "official" is a good tip, people don't question things if they look like they're supposed to lol.
>>
>>967574
Oh one more thing, be a good idea to read up on the geology of the area, your state geological service most likely has papers online covering the geology and fossils and shit, that way you can know what formation you're digging in and roughly what age the stuff you're finding is, as well as probably be able to identify what it is you're finding, and find out what sort of environment it was (though 99% it was wet/underwater lol). A notebook is handy too.
>>
File: Spared no expense.png (162KB, 979x729px) Image search: [Google]
Spared no expense.png
162KB, 979x729px
>>967674
>spare any expense.
>>
>>967574
>Hi-vis vest and a hard hat.
Generally keeps unwanted attention off you. The second is very important because if a rock hits the top of your head you will likely die without it.

>Geological maps
Check what period the rock is from and that will give you an idea of what fossils to expect

>Keep your eyes peeled for certain shape rocks
A lot of fossils like the Ammonite create "signature" rocks usually flat disks or dome like protrusion in a larger rock. Just because you cant see any of it doesn't mean it isn't there.

>Chisel and hammer
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do not be one of those self dubbed "geologists" that just smack everything with a hammer. If you think you have found a fossil but cant see it line your chisel up with the grain of the rock and give it a TAP not a WHACK. IF there is something in there the rock will break around it along any cleavage planes and you can then carefully pry the rock open. Just smacking rocks with a hammer often breaks the fossils, a chisel gives higher control and allows you to direct the force where you want it. Also dont hit the flat part of a rock hit the ends this is another good way to avoid turning a nice fossil into a jigsaw.

>Scare you might break the fossil?
Don't risk it just take the rock home with you if it small enough and slowly get it out under a more controlled environment. Its been in there for thousands of years it can wait another week.

>Visit after bad weather or a storm
If its a popular spot people who know what they are doing will quickly scoop up any good finds. A storm can bring new rockfall and easily expose fresh fossils it basically does half of any rock breaking for you.
>>
Talking of fossils I got a few that need cleaning and tidying up. I was think along the the lines of some kind of small pneumatic hammer. Any idea what sort of thing I should go for?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.