[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ I'm a first time backpacker and I've recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5073.jpg (811KB, 1802x2245px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5073.jpg
811KB, 1802x2245px
Hey /out/ I'm a first time backpacker and I've recently come across some gear, my local gander mountain was closing down and had a massive sale so I bought what I could and everything else seen was either given to me or bought secondhand. Any thoughts on my general setup? Is there anything that the people of /out/ think I should add or subtract from my pack?
>>
The thing with the boys out logo on it is a quilt that folds into itself for transport and the ziploc bag has bug spray and some fisrestarting stuff in it if anymore clarification is needed feel free to ask.
>>
>>966619
>Namefag
Aren't you that knife freak? As for your gear unless you are going to the Artic or climb Everest, it seems pretty much ok.
>>
>>966631
Idk I started a thread a few weeks back with a picture of my esee 4 plumb axe and folding saw but I haven't started any knife threads. It was probably someone else with the same name
>>
>>966619
A better tarp unless that blue thing is a tent.
And 550 cord.
And a fishing kit.
>>
>>966677
>550 cord
is overrated.
Your setup looks okay. I'd pack a stainless steel water bottle, tho.
>>
>massive roll of tp
>entrenching tool / shovel
>rope
>full roll of duct tape
>massive first aid kit

All these things can be substituted for better things for just as cheap.

>small roll of tp
>a stick
>bank line / mason cord / paracord
>a short section of duct tape wrapped around something (a lighter for example)
>a smaller fak

You're definately going to need more cordage.

Blue tarps will be the first thing to upgrade IMO

Most newbies tend to overpack. What do you need a roll of duct tape for, other than tying up your murder victims?
>>
Never had much call for a trench tool while backpacking, if you're digging cat holes a plastic garden trowel or even a stick will work fine.

Will also concur that you don't need that much duct tape or TP, you can downsize those portions a bit and still be fine. Otherwise looks like a pretty solid set up.
>>
>>966788
>trench tool
It's nice for digging a trench fire when tarp tenting in cold weather. I'm going to bring a "Trunk Buddy" next trip to drop some weight.
>>
a small knife (an number 8 or 9 opinel will do) in addition to that esee (it's a 3, amrite?

Some mylar (read up on super shelters, or just youtube it), a bit of tin foil (for isolating your fire from damp ground), some extra fire starters (tea lights, cotton pads soaked in some fuel, etc.)

pot for cooking water. Not sure what that pissbottle is made of, might want to get a stainless steel, or at least something like a nalgene.
>>
>>966619
I'm assuming you'll be using the ENO to sleep in? Make sure you have proper insulation. Hammocks are extremely cold without. You'll need at minimum a good pad to lay on. I'd ditch the blankets and get an actual sleeping bag.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.