[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A post in the comfy cozy thread got me itching for my dream again.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 1489094823959.jpg (181KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
1489094823959.jpg
181KB, 630x473px
A post in the comfy cozy thread got me itching for my dream again.

Do any of you guys own a cabin? Not like a multimillion dollar mansion on a lake with neighbors in your ass, but more like pic related. A very secluded lake with deep woods all around and it's just you and your closest friends/family for miles.

It's always been a dream of mine to have a place like this to just escape to. How would I go about securing something like this?
>>
>>966077
Building laws in the USA will never let you do this "legally" without hooking it up to the moneymachine. Perculate for septic, hook it up to the power grid, laws and regulations.

You can thank all the fags with tiny houses or people who want to make a house of used soda bottles.

The alternative is just doing it anyways, but you'd need some serious land to get away with this.
>>
>>966077
>It's always been a dream of mine

And it always will be you lazy faggot. If someone handed you a deed and a key you would still find a way to fail
>>
>>966094
>Building laws in the USA will never let you do this "legally" without hooking it up to the moneymachine. Percolate for septic, hook it up to the power grid, laws and regulations.

That's not entirely true. In most parts of the U.S., you can have a cabin with no electricity or septic, and you can live there a lot of the time. But in most parts of the U.S., you can't legally claim a place like that as your primary residence, as it doesn't meet most states' minimum habitation requirements.

Then again, I know more than a few people who live in places that never got a Certificate of Occupancy, and claim them as their primary residence. Nobody really checks, and at least around here, nobody really cares.
>>
>>966077

I'm saving for one here in Colorado. As a full time residence though, since prices are so high. Also, the cabins in the Rockies are not very secluded. Most of them are near the main highways in expanded neighborhoods. I've seen some with less than 800sf going for $300k plus but with 30 acres in the middle of no where though. Still too much money for a "weekend getaway" for me. It sucks because the same cabins that sold for $130k 3 years ago are in the $300k range now.
>>
>tfw watching the entire country gradually turn into a massive suburb
>>
>>966096
had a bad day?
>>
>>966122
It varies wildly from state to state. Mostly depends on how densely populated it is.

East coast it's hard to get away with, but as you move west it gets easier.

Once you get to Alaska nobody gives a fuck, like 25% of the population lives in a cabin, shack or camper.
>>
File: 245.jpg (572KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
245.jpg
572KB, 1600x1200px
I feel you. It's so beautiful. My family has an A frame in northern Quebec on a big lake, but it's so isolated usually it's just us and the loggers. Pic related.
>>
>>966633
is that you sitting in the back there?
>>
Yeah. A little cabin in the middle of the north woods. Only property on the lake, it's very secluded.
>>
>>966122
You don't realize how how desperately the system wants you to remain a part of it till you try to leave. Not having a house, car and a steady job is borderline illegal in "the land of the free"
>>
>>966773
No it isn't, stop being melodramatic.

>t. Technically homeless /out/ bum
>>
I have a job and theres no Lake, but this is where I live.
My commute is 30 minutes. I live in the Maritimes
>>
Move to Finland. Half the population has a cabin as a secondary residence here.
>>
File: 0227171524a.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
0227171524a.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>966077
Here is my current home i built with my wife last summer. Its not completely finished but we currently live here full time. Its off grid 12 miles in the back country of the sierra nevada..we rely on snowmobile to get out for supplies
>>
>>966863
Nice. My wife is way too nervous to do something like that. Sucks.
>>
>>966863

I'm getting such cozy vibes from your A frame house. I am building a cabin this year as soon as the snow melts(Northern Ontario). I love the look of A frames but if it's harder to build an A frame compared to a standard 15 x 30 ft rectangle for example, I'll opt for the easier route since I'll be mostly building alone.

What would you recommend?
>>
>>966863
what do you use your solar panels for ?
>>
>>966910
water collection
>>
File: free everything.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
free everything.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>966094
Get outta here with your bullshit you uneducated cracker. If you own the land, you can have a solar power only and outhouses. You don't need to be "on the grid". You have to own the land, pay your property taxes, and in most places get a building permit if the structure is over a certain size.

But the gov't can't force you to install septic or be on the grid.
>>
>>966658
>me on the right
>>
>>966094
It's possible. Build in an unincorporated community, there are a couple of them up here in Alaska and I think there are a couple in the Northeast somewhere as well.
>>
>>967210
A couple in Alaska? Dude, most of the Mat-Su Burrough is unincorporated.

Chase doesn't even have a road to it, just a 4-wheeler trail.
>>
>>966077
>Tfw all I want to do is this
>Started learning to use tools a while ago, and I'm pretty confident I could build a (shitty) cabin over time
>Been frequenting threads and learning how to farm small scale; I know how to plant crops now
>Engineering student so I'm learning to use shit like solar panels
>All I want is a small plot of land to try to make a cabin to escape too every now and again
>But I'm an Ausfag so there's no fucking way to buy land here without several thousand dollars
>The only ones under 30K seem to be ones that must be used in a specific way or the government violates your asshole

Just fucking kill me now chaps.
>>
>>966658
No, brother. Pic was taken probably 10 years ago.
>>
>>967217
If you're white please immigrate to Canada
>>
>>967217
what state?
>>967309
No, we need as many whites as we can muster down here. Your country is too far gone
>>
>>966894

I too would like to know this.
>>
>>967210
Unincorporated communities throughout rural America. Every state that legally allows them has them.
>>
>>966077
I have this, I've inherited it through my family. You could move to Canada.
>>
>>966094
Maine has thousands of these types of "3 season" cabins. They call it "up ta camp"
>>
>>966633
>averagepaymentforfirewoodincanada.jpg
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.