[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Occasionally you hear about people giving it all up and going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1446395154782.jpg (428KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446395154782.jpg
428KB, 1920x1080px
Occasionally you hear about people giving it all up and going to live in a cabin in the woods. How do they do this? I don't mean living off the land. These people often have electricity and shit. How do they support themselves?
>>
>>965022
Movies make it look like they "have electricity and shit"

You need land and a cabin or the means to build one first. It's not a last ditch act of jobless desperation. That's called being homeless.
>>
>>965033
I don't mean as a last act of desperation. Even with some planning, I'm wondering how somebody living in the middle of nowhere could support themselves.
>>
>>965036
i've notice a lot of through hikers are trust fund kids or only children who live off mom and dad. i would also guess some people are using an inheritance.

not saying its everyone. like that maine hermit who stole materials in the off season. some people also do odd jobs.
>>
>>965036
It's not doable by one person without help.

The closest you'll find to that is our /out/ lord, Dick. Look up alone in the wilderness. Even he had supplies flown in multiple times a year to last him through long winters. And he most certainly did not have electricity. And he's one in 600 million.

The only realistic way to do this is to make an off grid homestead, which legally cannot be off grid at all. But why would you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and countless hours of time in something that far off grid that your government can condemn and destroy in a matter of weeks?

As ideal as your fantasy seems, it's heinously unrealistic, and most people who could afford to do this are usually smarter to spend their money on other things.

Or you can take the easy rout and just become white trash. But even then, still good luck with ever owning land, millennial.
>>
>>965042
>good luck with ever owning land

[spoiler]I already own land.[/spoiler]
>>
>>965043
Absolute bullshit. If you truly did, you'd know how much work, money, and taxes/restrictions go into owning land. Which would also give you an idea of the amount of money time and work it would be to build an off grid cabin. Don't fool yourself, kiddo.

Keep saving money instead of buying games for your iPhone and Playstation. Work hard, and research what you truly want in life. Nobody is going to give it to you. And for fucks sake, lurk more.
>>
>>965042
Not him but why would I want to own land when I have literally millions of acres of wilderness at my door step, that are free to access whenever and for however long I want
>>
>>965041

>i've notice a lot of through hikers are trust fund kids or only children who live off mom and dad. i would also guess some people are using an inheritance.

Did you do a survey or something or did you make that up as an excuse for you doing nothing
>>
>>965042
This post mostly sums it up, except for one point:
>But why would you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and countless hours of time in something that far off grid that your government can condemn and destroy in a matter of weeks?
If you build your own cabin, even using store bought materials and hiring other people to help you with some of the work, there's no reason it should cost you more than $20,000-30,000 to build a pretty good, basic bitch cabin.
>>
File: 1477539032486.jpg (216KB, 959x963px) Image search: [Google]
1477539032486.jpg
216KB, 959x963px
>>965055
>Absolute bullshit. If you truly did, you'd know how much work, money, and taxes/restrictions go into owning land. Which would also give you an idea of the amount of money time and work it would be to build an off grid cabin. Don't fool yourself, kiddo
Property taxes aren't that bad if you just own a small plot of unoccupied land for hunting. If you lease some of the land for farming use, you could dramatically lessen the burden of any taxes or loan servicing every year. That's what my grandfather did through my childhood and I think a lot of people who own land do that. I don't know what other hassle you seem to have in mind. Obviously you need to patrol your land for squatters every once in a while, depending on where you live, and clearing the roads of deadfall comes down to you, but that is self-explanatory. What other sorts of work and problems are you thinking of?
>>
>>965138
I built a 16x20 cabin here in Canada for less than 5 grand including windows, stove and solar set up. But I cut all my own boards and framing studs.
>>
>>965158
Pretty impressive that you found a solar set up for so inexpensive. I was rounding up because everybody has their own concept of what constitutes a "cabin." I can definitely believe that it can be done for under $5000.
>>
>>965162
I only use it for lights, radio and fridge. If I was retarded and had a TV toaster microwave and all kinds of amenities I could have sunk a few grand easy into my set up. I plan on building a few windmills too.
>>
>>965157
Income tax will be spotty. It doesn't seem an issue, but not having a steady income causes issues with the tax man because, all of a sudden, you're not reporting anything. Audits occur and it could get dicey. That being said, property taxes aren't too insane and anyone doing this can pay them easily and make enough money on the side that won't require taxing, legally.
>>
>>965225
I'm not that fella but you need to take off your tin foil hat bud. If you do not have an income for the year and plan to pay for taxes with savings you still file a tax return you just don't have any taxable income. To be audited due to no taxable income is highly unlikely. That said he could probably go on the dole for a while and get a few bucks.
>>
>>965022
>Occasionally you hear about people giving it all up and going to live in a cabin in the woods
No, NEETs start shitty threads about this fantasy every week here
>>
Where to buy land is the question? I have money and can afford and nice size lot, but IDK what state to buy in.
>>
>>965435
>has the discipline to save enough to purchase Land
>doesn't have the discipline to actually search for land

How has /out/ managed to get worse since last year....
>>
>>965472
Why do you assume so much retarded stuff and then complain that things are worse? You are the problem, faggot
>>
File: thats-real-retarded-sir.jpg (25KB, 477x314px) Image search: [Google]
thats-real-retarded-sir.jpg
25KB, 477x314px
>>965472
>doesn't have the discipline to actually search for land
You are super retarded. "The discipline" to search for land, has nothing to do with discipline but being indecisive. To buy cheap abundant land in Maine, where it is very rural and also very cold. Or somewhere in the deep south not as rural but maybe in between hillbilly trailer park and niggersville but weather is better. Too many variable is my problem.
>>
>>965065
Words of the Cuck
>>
>>965022

They either got loaded parents or made some early investments and got lucky.
>>
>>965435
Clean, protected water supply should be a top consideration.
>>
I know a few people that retired by moving to the middle of no were. They had it on easy mode though since they sold their houses in the crazy Toronto market, made a cool million off of that then just bought 50-100 acres way up north and paid people to build them a nice cabin/home
>>
>>965022
it's sort of like the people who take a year off to travel the world and find themselves in their early twenties. they make it sound like a bohemian existence but mom and dad were wiring them a grand a week
>>
>>965042
>still good luck with ever owning land, millennial.

I didn't ask for this feel anon.
>>
>>965828
It's called work, basement dweller.
>>
>>965851
Fucking Trustafarians. I went to high school with a bunch of these pretend homeless people with millionaire parents, it's kind of a trip.
>>
>>966082
And it made you butthurt. Jokes on you faggot
>>
>>966090
It's just weird seeing rich people try to seem like they are poor when you yourself are poor.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.