[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retarded ideas in camping Exhibit one: placing tarps or footprints

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 19

Retarded ideas in camping

Exhibit one: placing tarps or footprints (for the eco-warriors) under a tent
>>
>inb4 footprints make your tent flood
>>
>>963217
>living room camper detected
>>
>>963224
Well I hope you're a better camper than you are a fisherman because your bait is fucking terrible.
>>
>>963226
agreed lol
the "footprint" thing is great for keeping your tent clean from mud when you have to pack it back up, keeping moisture from the ground seeping through the bottom(extra barrier between the ground and your sleeping bag). tarps don't weigh much at all, why waste you're time with even mentioning if you dont use one.
>>
>I can't properly pitch a tent and it always floods
>>
>>963229
>Prevent moisture from seeping from the ground at the cost of moisture seeping from rain or condensation plus $45 plus hassle of extra junk

Seems retarded to me but a certain percentage of people are retards so there ya go
>>
>>963216
>using a fuckhuge tarp instead of a properly sized one
>>
To add to OP's related content

>not shooting dogs off leash because they could have attacked me

>not taking 5 fire starting methods and a surgeons kit with you on a 2 day hiking trip because you never know when you will be stranded a few hundred yards from a trail or road and nobody can hear you
>>
>>963216

The foot print is supposed to be smaller than the tent dingus.
>>
>>963258

Fold the tarp in 6 inches from the edge of the tent, that should keep the rain from getting between the tent and tarp. It also saves your tent floor from wear and tear. As long as you don't track water in there really is no condensation unless you're a fatass sleeping on the bare floor on a hot night with the rain fly on
>>
>>963258
>$45 plus hassle
The tarp I use was $8 and folds up to the size of a thin paperback book.
>>
>>963262
>5 fire starting methods 2 day hiking trip

Guilty as charged.
>>
>>963265

All this effort and you only "protect" half your tent floor. And that protection of half the floor is completely unnecessary

>Fold the tarp in 6 inches from the edge of the tent, that should keep the rain from getting between the tent and tarp. It also saves your tent floor from wear and tear.
>>
>>963229
>the "footprint" thing is great for keeping your tent clean from mud when you have to pack it back up
>what is a drybag?
>>
File: necessary.png (409KB, 1024x740px) Image search: [Google]
necessary.png
409KB, 1024x740px
>>963280
You have a 2'x2' tent? You must be a pretty small dude.

Also,
>necessary
>>
File: FBUI7DHHJKBU118.MEDIUM.jpg (63KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FBUI7DHHJKBU118.MEDIUM.jpg
63KB, 620x465px
Windproof, waterproof, 4 season tent using hiking poles
>>
>>963283
2'x8' you must have a small mind. First order thinking is lame
>>
>>963216
>he didn't fold the tarp under the tent so you can just barely see it.

>>963258
>$45 tarp

I paid $16 for a fucking massive one to cover my truck. A $45 tarp would be large enough to cover my entire house. One for the footprint of my tent would cost all of $5.99.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170306-101844.png (457KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170306-101844.png
457KB, 1200x1920px
>>963294

Oooo sorry $70, on sale now for $50
>>
>>963289
>2'x8' tent
Holy shit! You have a 2' wide tent? Where can I buy one?
>>
>>963216

Keeps the bottom of my tent dry

Keeps the bottom of my tent clean saving me a lot of time and effort when I pack it up

Protects the bottom of my tent from punctures due to the terrain. It's a lot easier to replace a tarp than to continuously repair a tent.
>>
>>963285
Is this bait
>>
>>963289
>2x8=16

>2-1=1
>8-1=7
>1x7=7

>7/16 =/= 1/2

So much for your "big" mind. Pic of your tent pl0x. I need a good laugh.
>>
File: FCRHJ70HJKBU111.MEDIUM.jpg (117KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FCRHJ70HJKBU111.MEDIUM.jpg
117KB, 620x465px
>>963337

No it's legit, lots of /out/doorsmen™ use these

http://www.instructables.com/id/Trekking-pole-Blue-tarp-tent/
>>
>>963371
>Common core true believer detected
>>
>>963334
I really thought this was common practice, it also gives you a little extra padding for sleeping and gives you a place to take your dirty boots off without getting your socks dirty.
>>
>>963381
I just don't see how you could claim that it's waterproof or windproof
Unless you're talking a light drizzle and winds less than 10 mph
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (2MB, 1223x819px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
2MB, 1223x819px
>>963216
>retarded ideas in camping
>calling this camping
Man, I really despise normie campouts. Story time.

>Friends and I are going on a 1.5mi backpacking trip, have beginners with me
>2 groups, first is 4 people including myself, second is supposed to be 3 people
>I am with the first group to go up, most are at least moderately experience in camping. Everyone carries their own weight, no overpacking.
>Have a great fucking time the first night, find an awesome, cozy area
>second day, we spend all day gathering wood for a real cozy bonfire, get the area set for the second group
>expect second group to show up around 1pm, they don't arrive until 7pm
>they have 5 people instead of the 3 that said were coming
>they are carrying way more than they need, chairs, tables, etc.
>they get to our site, first thing they do is bust out a 3ft bong
>ask us for help carrying the rest of their shit, one of them says "ugh I just came all the way over here, I'm too tired to get the rest"
>herewego.jpeg
>2 of my group and myself help, only 2 from the group that brought all this shit go back to the car to carry
>go back to their car, they have 2 coolers and a 2 boxes full of blankets, utensils, and fruits
>one cooler full of ice and bottled beers, the other ice and about 2 weeks worth of food, including 4 full size salmon fillets
>haul this bullshit the entire 1.5mi back to camp
>stoner girls have already taken more than half of our wood to a different campsite they made to show they can make a fire
>literally just burning up all of the wood before it's even dark out, have to go chop more wood
>second group cooks wants our fire to die down so they can cook their food
>they cook food for 3 hours while their other fire blazes while barely being attended
>they bring out speakers to our campsite, start blasting Animal Collective so the entire canyon can hear
>my campsite becomes the designated trash site, they don't want to "breath in the fumes" of burning plastic at their site
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
>>963444
>don’t even get offered a beer after all this, have to ask to get one
>they even destroyed the log we were using to sit on by stomping on it all night while drunk
>pissed all night, went from a great trip to a super shit one in as soon as group 2 shows up
>morning time comes, I tell group one I’m pissed and we are leaving ASAP before they ask us to help them take their stuff back
>never go camping with those people again

To their credit, the salmon was pretty tasty. Pic related is the aftermath with the smashed up log we were sitting on.
>>
>>963444
>Backpacking group with 7 people...
Stopped right there.
>>
>>963216
i don't know about this or eco reasons but you fold it under the tent to keep it dry underneath. if you put it like that water just pools under the tent. 35 years camping experience says this works. Especially with old tents it used to be an issue.
>>
>>963285
>4 seasons
>clearly doesn't live in northern latitudes
>>
>>963226
lol
>>
>>963216
wait, eco-warriors?
>>
File: happy merchant.webm (687KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
happy merchant.webm
687KB, 480x360px
>>963310
>>
>>963454
There's always that sugar addict or drunk with hypoglycemia that throws a bitch fit at least 2 times a day.
>>
>>963444
>1.5 miles
>backpacking
Kys you're self tripfag
>>
>>963503
>beginners in group
>kill yourself you are self tripfag
compelling argument friend
>>
>>963508
How is your name pronounced? O'Queer?
>>
>>963517
Why not? What are you, gay?
>>
>>963226
Top kek
>>
>>963274
Me too
I will have my fire
>>
>>963381
generally end up using a bivy bag with a tarp tent anyways which makes the weight savings argument somewhat hard to believe especially when you are lugging around a stupid blue tarp instead of some nice thin material
>>
>>963596
All that stuff is in my EDC so it's a weight free tent really, net net
>>
>>963444
So you carried that trailer all the way huh? Cool backpacking trip. You're the retard for going with people you don't know. Was there some kind of blind date hook up going on for rookie backpackers and their bitch made porters who lug all their shit and the whine for a beer afterwords? You sound like a bitch
>>
>>963614
>I had to beg for a beer

Faggot should have drunk a few while he was tobying they shit
>>
>>963454
I stopped when I saw the post was made by a tripfag
>>
>>
>>963444
>>963447
Taking inexperienced potheads camping is confirmed as worst camping.
>want to go camping
>invite buddies
>word gets around to that one "buddy" that you never want to invite
>he wants to come
>sure, whatever, as long as you help pay for food
>show up to campsite
>"buddy" brings only a blanket and a tiny backpack
>backpack contains only weed and weed accessories
>"buddy" refuses to help set up the tent because "he doesn't know how this camping stuff works"
>start fire for cooking, "buddy" starts smoking
>finally get around to cooking some tasty brats
>discover that "buddy" has spent the last 30 minutes eating all of the buns plain
>"buddy" spends the rest of the night screaming whenever a bug flies past him
>go to sleep
>get woken up by "buddy" losing his fucking mind because he heard a dog bark
>the next morning "buddy" refuses to help carry anything out
>asks when we're going camping again
>kindly tell him to go fuck himself with a cactus
>mf the entire trip
>>
>>963258
I use a sheet of 8mm plastic I cut into a footprint. If it rains, no water gets under the tent. My floor stays clean and dry and it doesn't cost me any noticeable extra weight. Probably wouldn't cost more than $7.
>>
>>963310
why would you buy that when you can get a tarp?
brand name footprints are high level gear-faggotry
>>
>>963444
it sounds like you & group 1 really needed to step up and lay some groundrules for the children
>up your stewardship game
could've been an opportunity to spread good camping/environmental etiquette
>>
>>963648
agreed, if i was gonna bust my ass for their comfort, beers would be the least invasive tax
>i carried it; it's mine now
>>
>>963216
ecowarrior?

based on your pic and opinion: you're doing it wrong
>fold it to fit the floor of the tent (shouldn't interfere with stakes at all)
>makes your floor softer, so better for sleep and less beefy pad
>helps insulate from the cold ground
>blocks wind, rain, or sand if you tuck extra up under the rainfly
>can double as a canopy where ground is soft but sun/rain is strong
>can separate you from
>helps block ants/ticks etc that might've been dormant when you set up
>can provide a doormat/vestibule for placing boots etc
>keeps everything cleaner without having to shove it into a stuffsack still dirty
>makes picnics wildly easy
>>
>>963454
>seven people going into wild
Dorfy

My jimmies are rustled by the way
>>
>>963262
id shoot at any dog that approached me at a sprint while I was in the woods. Thankfully my area has leash laws, so there really cant be any misunderstandings when I shoot their dog, and it was their fault.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170308-074618.png (138KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170308-074618.png
138KB, 1920x1200px
>>964426
Eco warrior, usually pejorative
>>
>>963444
>>963447
>Norway
>Going /out/ with inexperienced stoners
You only have yourself to blame, there's no lack of organisations and Facebook groups for people who know what they're doing. If you really, really want to bring newbies, make sure you have a 1:1 ratio of experienced people to idiots.
>>
>>963281
You're not meant to wrap it in the footprint, it keeps filth from sticking to/through the floor of your tent while its set up. It's not meant to be larger than the floor of your tent though b/c if it is, generally you wind up sleeping in a puddle.
>>
>>963283
For you
>>
>>963262
>>964749
For the good of the human race, please kill yourselves. No one will miss you. Do it.
>>
>>963285
>4 season
That isn't even a one season tent where I live.
>>
>>964752
no shit; but how is protecting the bottom of your tent and being more comfortable an environmentalist thing?
>>
>>963447
Man, this story makes me thirsty for a RAGE/retarded campers thread. Reading the stories of what shitty people do while outdoors is like watching car crashes; fucken sucks it happens but I can't look away.
I'd go and start one myself but I don't have any stories of my own to contribute.. Probably why I like reading em so much.
>>
>>965440
Tents don't need protecting. Do you have a special cover for your shoes so the bottom doesn't wear out? No of course not but that's what an eco warrior does, buy something gimmicky that is totally unnecessary and attribute magical properties to it and claim it is saving the snails or the climate
>>
>>965457
are you a retard, do you know that decent tents cost money and replacing the sewn in groundsheet is not always feasible, so guess what, when you're not packing for low weight you can carry some extra protection for the base, prolonging the life of your tent and gaining additional benefits
>>
>>965467
>Shoes cost money we must protect the bottom of the shoe to prolong the life of the shoe

Sure thing nerd. Do you also have a protective cover for the top and sides of your tent?
>>
>>965484
>shoes can be resoled
>protective cover for the top and sides aka fly sheet which is replaceable

i know you're trying very hard to troll through-out this thread but you're just a retard
>>
>>963281
why the hell would you put your tent in a drybag?
>>
>>965457
>Tents don't need protecting. Do you have a special cover for your shoes so the bottom doesn't wear out? No of course not but that's what an eco warrior does, buy something gimmicky that is totally unnecessary and attribute magical properties to it and claim it is saving the snails or the climate

Yeah sure, like socks?
>>
>>965555
If you're rafting or kayaking
Nice numbers btw
>>
>>963444
>>963447
>it a tripfag acts like a retarded bitch episode
first mistake is planning a 1 1/2 mile trip; that's not enough to weed out the people who don't really want to hike. second mistake is not having the most experienced, bossy person go with the least experienced group. third mistake is being their sherpa bitch; that immediately let them know they could walk on you. fourth mistake is continuing being their bitch all night long.
>>
>>963614
>>963648
>>963809
>>964397
>>964772
>>965442
>>965571

Well at least I can learn from you cunts and step my shit up next time I go with others similar to them.
>>
>>965555
Drybags, like footprints, save on weight and protect various surfaces of the tent from wear, saving money and extending the service life of the sleeping module
>>
>>963444
I have a story

>Some guy my friend knows wants to go camping
>friends ask if I know any places
>There are some woods near my place
>Friend insists on walking even though it's several miles away
>finally make it, been carrying heavy shit all day
>we get to a secluded area and notice a makeshift shelter which has saws and hazmat suits inside
>people are freaking the fuck out
>oh for fuck's sake
>I just go gather wood while friends bicker amongst each other about how the tent and my other friend uses his girlfriend being scared as an excuse to not help
>me and this guy are trying to set the wood on fire while the girls are hanging inside the tent and the other guys are just not doing anything
>can't fucking set this shit on fire and its getting dark
>everyone gets too scared and decides to leave
>walk home from the woods in total darkness because people are fucking gay
>>
File: toronto.jpg (118KB, 1180x664px) Image search: [Google]
toronto.jpg
118KB, 1180x664px
>>963809
Why didn't you tell the police about this weed cunt?
>>
>>965600
Well that's 30 seconds I'll never get back
>>
File: disgustingphoneposters.png (730KB, 1270x623px) Image search: [Google]
disgustingphoneposters.png
730KB, 1270x623px
>>963310
>ill cherry pick and pretend thats the only option

I expect nothing less from one of your ilk.
>>
>>965618
Wasn't worth the time.
>>
>>965600
>complaining about walking
>can't start a fire
Why are you here again?
>>
>>965631

We weren't prepared at all, they insisted on walking several mines with people who had never been camping before with a fuckload of food on them and no items. I was struggling to start a fire because it was dark (and it would be by the time we got there) and we didn't have any tools, yet they still wanted to walk there.
>>
>>965561
You wear socks on the outside of your shoes?

That's pants-on-head retarded.

Sorry, you might understand it better if I say, "That's hat-on-head retarded."
>>
>>965626
How many of these tarps will totally encapsulate your tent?
>>
>>965637
Tent:footprint
as
Sock:shoe
>>
File: th (5).jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
th (5).jpg
7KB, 300x300px
>>965713
No, more like this. The cover has to be something totally useless like

Tent: footprint
Boot:bootlet
>>
>>965810
No. The more you argue that tent footprints are useless, the more clear it is that you don't tent camp.
>>
I wanna add batoning to the list.

I can just pick up a bundle of wood at the grocery store.
>>
> be buddy of mine, short fat Messican who has no indoor voice.
> takes a couple of his hoodrat friends "hiking".
> they're only about 3 miles out a heavy traffic trail.
> they all start fanning their revolvers at once.
> helicopter seems kind of close, just over the next hill.
> SWAT team raids the camp, "report of automatic weapons fire"
> loudmouth buddy tells them they're dipshits, get out of our camp
> doinkers tear their camp up, find a .357, .38, and a .22 revolver.

Never camp close to town, or the road.
>>
>>965832
Or just use the proper tools.
>>
File: bombsinternally_zps29c4a812.jpg (21KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
bombsinternally_zps29c4a812.jpg
21KB, 224x225px
>>963216
Raft trip on a calm stretch of the Colorado, with oil drum rafts we build ourselves. Big rafts, so luggage is not a concern. About 25 college kids doing this on Spring break.

I and one other guy are the only ones who bring a flashlight. Constantly being borrowed.

mfw
>>
>>963262
>not taking 5 fire starting methods
The reason to take 5 fire starting methods is to laugh as people fail to use every method except the lighter.
>>
File: cynicalcontactothers.jpg (80KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
cynicalcontactothers.jpg
80KB, 500x663px
>>965959
Forgot to mention that this was in ancient times, before everybody had a cell phone.
>>
>>963483
>>965434

You took the bait
>>
>>963648
>tobying
My sides.
>>
OP is the same troll that made those amateur archaeology threads.
>>
>>963447
>destroyed the log
How does someone destroy a log by stomping on it?
>>
>>967171
It's decaying matter that provided a home for microbes, insects, funghi and ferns. Doucheanons stomped it into oblivion removing it's cohesion, animal life and utility to nordcuckanon for setting his rump and kettle
>>
>>963416

It is. But some people have to count ounces for their roleplaying.
>>
>>963268
Kek, this. You can even get super shitty ones for $6 where I live. Carrying one or two is a decent idea.
>>
>>963216
Jesus christ, as I was reading this, something happened.
>Be part of an fb group
>A bunch of them are going camping
>One chick doesn't have a tent
>Posted asking if anybody has a spare one, since she doesn't want to share, and wants to have one to herself
>Must be big enough to fit a queen sized airmattress
>She also wants to borrow a pump
>Pretty sure she is getting a lift from somebody else too
>Apparently she doesn't help setting up or packing up either
>Isn't even that hot, but dresses really slutty
>Think boots with heels when camping

Jesus, why do some people have so much difficulty with the "camping sites aren't hotels" concept?
>>
>>967252
She doesn't want to camp, she just wants to be part of whatever he social group is doing.
>>
>>965432
>t. fido
>>
File: 1488426163783.jpg (191KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1488426163783.jpg
191KB, 960x960px
>>963226
kek pot
e
k

p
o
t
>>
>>963317
Not him but I have a "pup" tent that I got when I was a kid, it's barely big enough to lay down in, but sure folds up small. I'd still use it if I used a tent at all.
>>
>leaving the tent opened during the night in summer
bad idea if you don't want to sleep in a small space with a variety of spices that you didn't even knew that exist, including the typical big spiders, elephant mosquitos & ants.
>>
>>965567
anyone else just want to set up camp near a calm river, build their own raft and see where the river takes them?
>>
>>968831
Not a good idea. Check maps.
>>
>>968831
Now listen here, Huck... most rivers are dammed up to help make electricity for normies.
>>
>>963444
happens every time I make a beach fire, I am the only one who knows how to make the fire, collect good wood and I'm the only one who goes out to get it and those who don't even after I ask don't contribute anything, not food, not booze. It's why communism fails, only a select few of a group can actually be motivated for the benefit of the group, everyone else is out for themselves.
>>
>>963262
you take in your firestarting method you fuckin city slicker? why are you even on /out/ if you dont make your own fire plough and collect your own cedar tinder??
>>
>>963262
>dogs attack you
are you Satan?
>>
>>967323
Based Mariners
>>
>>968831
Spoiler alert: it's either another river or the ocean
>>
>>967323
dang, more? that one of the leaked marine photos?
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.