[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /out/ Do any of you guys have/use GPS units? What do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

File: etrex.jpg (148KB, 868x1500px) Image search: [Google]
etrex.jpg
148KB, 868x1500px
Hi /out/

Do any of you guys have/use GPS units? What do you use?

What would be a good, affordable unit that has lots of maps available and a workable interface?
>>
>>960055
I have that exact unit and it works fine. Just use it with a 1:100,000 or 1:50,000 topo if you want some serious detail.
>>
>>960055
I have a Garmin GPSMAPS 64st. I haven't had it long, but I'm very happy with it. It's nice having the USGS topo basemap, and the "custom maps" feature allows you to geolocate and drop in your own trail maps or ones you found online, which is very cool. I have a few trail map overlays and I'm super pumped about that feature.
>>
File: 20170110_173327.jpg (1MB, 2077x1103px) Image search: [Google]
20170110_173327.jpg
1MB, 2077x1103px
Mire of a Wakazashi fan, myself.
>>
>>960122
>where do you think you are?
>>
>>960055
>Do any of you guys have/use GPS units?
Nope
Never used one in over 30 years of going out
Don't have a smartphone either because I'm not some silly hipster

What is wrong with a map?
>>
File: focus you fuck.jpg (50KB, 341x598px) Image search: [Google]
focus you fuck.jpg
50KB, 341x598px
I have MM Tracker and pirated OS 1:50k maps on a galaxy S3.

It's an OS map that crosshairs your position, automagically aligns north however you hold it, and doesn't need 4-dimensional origami skillz. I wouldn't -rely- on it but it's a boon when it's working.
>>
>>960125
L2grntxt, fgt.
>>
>>960199

A map doesn't show your present location or log your trail. The cost of good topographical maps adds up. You can't zoom in and out of a topo map, you're stuck with the scale you brought.

Better question: What's wrong with GPS? Are you afraid the keedz are gonna play their damn vidya games in the woods now?
>>
>>960255
you're relying on someting that can fail. I would go with map & compass if I had to choose only 1. Your points on GPS are valid though, as long as you have power, the device doesn't break, get dropped in a river, or the unthinkable satellites failing.
>>
>>960255
>A map doesn't show your present location
>needing a "you are here" icon
Maybe you should stick to the mall
>good topographical maps
are cheap and will last longer than your disposable digital toys
>You can't zoom in and out of a topo map
I can look at one part of it, or the whole thing
>you're stuck with the scale you brought
Agreed, but it has never been an issue
>>
>>960199
>using a map

Why are you not drawing your own map from paper you've made yourself while out and using your skills in cartography, geography, astronomy?

Fucking hipster.
>>
>>960341
>paper, cartography, and writing black magic
>not using inukshuks and petroglyphs left by the ancients

Fucking softcore urbanites
>>
>>960104
Know how I know you're lying? The etrex 10 can't load maps. It's just for waypoints and line of sight navigation. Gotta upgrade to the etrex 20(orange) or 30(black?) To have maps.

Anyway, I use a Colorado 300 with topo Canada v4(can't find newer, don't wanna drop the $$$ on buying) or ibycus Canada. I have all the provinces in both map packages on a 8gb card. Plus the basemap on internal storage.
>>
>>960120
Yeah, if I was gonna buy a new GPS device following hiking, the 64 series would be the obvious choice. It's kinda sad to see how conventional and boring Garmin has become tho. They used to have nifty experimental ones, or refreshes that had quirky extras. Now, the only serious option they have is the 64 series(which is based off the 60 series, which is over a decade old now.)
>>
>>960274
Oh come on. Paper maps are just as likely to get ruined as a GPS unit. Both are susceptible to failure. Be careful with both and both will be just fine.
>>
>>960423
boring reliability is a HUGE selling point. the 64's got hardware buttons and runs on AA batteries just like the 12 did when we were children.

please don't poke the sleeping garmin, they'll wake up and replace it with an iphone app.
>>
>>960441
Oh no, I definitely appreciate it. In fact I wish they'd go back to 2 color screens like on the early etrexs, which were readable anywhere... I'm just sad that there's nothing exciting from them. It's either low-end consumer(etrex), hobbyist/professional(64), and wearable(Fenix).

Everything else they have is more or less a revision of those 3. Where's the RINO(no updates since '14 I think) where's the Colorado, where's the foretrex(way better for hiking than the Fenix)

It's good they're still in business, and I know taking risks will quickly have them in the red(fuck, it's hard to justify a dedicated one when a phone gps is sufficient for 90% of folks) but it would still be cool to see innovation.
>>
>>960438
Most topo maps are plastic and thus waterproof
Even if they are paper, and get wet, they can be dried
If torn in half, both paper and plastic maps still work
They only way I can think of them failing is by losing them

I have a question for you eBackpackers though
Does a satellite phone have all the doodads a GPS has?
If I'm going to carry a digital toy, it's going to be this one
>>
>>960274

>take a spill in the river
>your topo gets soaked in its case and is an illegible mush within a day

>>960323

Topographical maps - folded over 1000 times with finest Nipponese paper!

I've been hiking and hunting with topos for about 5 years now. Frankly there have been times when a gps would have been great - caching, marking the exact spot I fired a rifle shot from, marking a kill, marking sign, finding small features such as ponds and burnt spots in flat terrain... I want one for those times. If you can't understand why it's because you're a fag and you hang your ego on how hardcore you are at activities you rarely participate in.
>>
Garmin 64s.
Great value and picks up sattelites in dense bush
>>
Are phone app GPS's good enough or are they just a meme? There's one called ihunter Alberta and it seems almost too good to be true.
>>
>>961324

They don't work once you're out of cell range.
>>
>>961340
No, they still do. At that point their no longer a(assisted)GPS, which is why they're not accurate or fast to grab your location. If you have data(wither wifi or 3g/4g or even edge) the GPS will work with the towers you're accessing to narrow down your position.

Look at the size of a typical handheld GPS device. See how they're clunky as fuck, and more often than not have a bulky plastic/rubber nub antenna? After your initial setup(which might take 8 minutes to grab satellites) if should be able to grab your location in 5-15 seconds. Turn off your data and try that with your phone... Odds are it'll take a few minutes, and your 'location' is going to sway around +/-50feet of where you actually are.

Though unless you're trying to coordinate artillery fire, or calculate where weather balloon is going to land, you really dont need it to be too accurate.
>>
>>960438
I laminate my maps,
I do use a gps with them but they are water proof
>>
>>960417
Are you fucjing stupid? Did i day the maps are loaded on it? No you fuck face, i carry paper maps issued by adi. Go fuck yourself
>>
File: t_geeps.png (12KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
t_geeps.png
12KB, 261x195px
>>961815
>Write properly, behave politely, encourage a respectful community
anon pls
>>
>>960055
I have a GPSMAP 62S. It's breddy gud, but do yourself a favor and get some premium batteries.
>>
>>960104
anon would this be good for tracking fishing spots and when I trek up and down new rivers?
>>
File: rage-bigstock-300x264.jpg (19KB, 300x264px) Image search: [Google]
rage-bigstock-300x264.jpg
19KB, 300x264px
>>961815
god DAMIT I love the rage :)
>>
>>961815
Sure thing buddy... You got caught in a lie. Another /out/ poser. It's really quite sad actually.
>>
>>961815
>Did I day
>Day

You type with a hair lip.
>>
>>960055
I have an etrex. I load it with an onxmap. Batteries last for a very long time and It seems to work well under the tree canopy.
>>
I just have a spot gen 1 tracker. Otherwise i use maps. The tracker is peace of mind for my wife when I'm out innawoods for days at a time without cell reception.
>>
>>962517
Fuck you, but you made me laugh, still.
>>
>>962164
Absolutely. I find the device to be effective to a 5-10m radius, so you would certainly be able to mark your spot. Akari with the breadcrumb tall feature you would be able to nicely map the river and export as a .gpx file, convert to .wml and put into Google maps.
>>
>>960055
>GPS
>MAPS
Two totally different things. You need both. A hybrid system is for your car, ask/o/. Siri can't get you past the edge of asphalt.

Best compass and map is compass and map. It won't let you get lost.
>>
>>963918
sweet thanks anon.
Is there really a point to spending more for the color displays?
>>
I have a old-as-shit Garmin Etrex H10 or something like that.

I just use it as an electronic compass which automatically points to where I have to go. I don't have a sync cable, don't really see the need for it. Can program things adequately manually.

Things I've saved
-Home
-Friends house (w/ prepper mindset) 15 miles away
-other friends apartment in city 40 miles away (no prepper mindset but a friendly place)
-brothers apartment in same city as ^
-Bug out location (tiny sliver of forest my family owns, has log cabin and water pump 'n stuff), 15 miles away
-2 old cold-war era fallout shelters in my city that aren't used as such anymore. But it still has sufficient protection factor against radiation. Will probably die because of lack of filtrated air, better than nothing.

In the future:
-buried caches
-rallypoints with friendly preppers to link up

Anyone with more ideas of points-of-interest that are to be saved? I know the supermarkets and stuff by heart, and there are always maps and yellow pages for checking places to loot, if the need arises.
>>
>>964745
Does anyone have good ideas for pre-selecting good places to camp out in case I have to walk a few days to home or Bug out location?

I'd ofcource like to need as little stuff with me as possible and still be able to get a few dry hours of rest.

I live in western europe so the wildernesses aren't what you'd call huge.
>>
File: Logo_Teasi_one3.jpg (849KB, 1299x2126px) Image search: [Google]
Logo_Teasi_one3.jpg
849KB, 1299x2126px
garmins are expensive.

https://youtu.be/4VtXXwdWAv0
>>
>>964745
>electronic compass
why
>>
File: Garmin Etrex.jpg (27KB, 501x522px) Image search: [Google]
Garmin Etrex.jpg
27KB, 501x522px
>>964758
Pic related; it's the GPS I have. I think it's one of the first generations of handheld GPS devices, it's more than 10 years old. All it can do is:
>Electronic compass
>Point arrow towards your destination on compass
>make a waypoint path, it points you from current location to destination, at arrival points you to the next waypoint/destination and so on.
>distance to destination, time to destination (based on average speed)
>Sunset/sunrise times
>distance travelled
>time travelled
>elevation (not really useful in the flattest country on earth)
>GPS time
etc.

You can't load maps or anything into it.

It doesn't have any maps. It does save a breadcrumb trial, but since I don't have a USB cable for it, I can't export them to a Google Maps File. I don't need that function anyway. Don't care for places I've been or trails I've followed, if I did I'd just save them manually while on the trail. you can see a map on the image, but it only shows the breadcrumb trail where you were before. It's practically worthless.

Why not use a regular compass you ask? Because you still need to carry maps for that area to find out where you are, in order to find out in which direction you need to go. I can fire up the GPS and be moving towards the destination in a minute. Just uses 2 AA's. And yes, batteries die and maps & compass don't. I'm well aware of this and I ain't disregarding the use of normal compasses and maps. It's just less practical for the Get Home Bag I carry.
>>
>>963990
No problems bro :)
If you want to actually have topo maps loaded on, then yes (provided they can use topos) also guess the other advantage can be relief- the shading associated with the map detail, but if you can use a topo on paper, its not worth it. Also, not entirely sure, but i would assume the colour ones would use more battery power and if like me you like to go away for a few days at a time, then it means less weight to carry
>>
File: TracBack2.png (9KB, 160x240px) Image search: [Google]
TracBack2.png
9KB, 160x240px
>>963990
>color displays
Yes.
If you plan on adding any maps to the unit, you'll want one with color.
Grayscale and maps, whether it's citynav, topo, or the marine maps... adds more stuff than grayscale can really display.
It'll work, but it's much easier with color.

The LCD itself isn't a big power draw - keeping the micro running and doing all the floating-point ops every second from 12 satellites, calculating time differences, ephemeris data, datum corrections, etc is where most of your battery goes in normal operation. LCD backlight will also kill the batteries a lot faster if that's on.

Otherwise it's not a significant difference.

>>964777
>trips
I had a GPS12. Main reason I upgraded to the 60CSx was the track log memory and USB interface. I could fill the 12's track log in about half a day, where the 60/76's I've been riding with since can go for weeks without losing/overwriting data.
Nice to plug in and download data, i keep those tracks/wpts with my photos from the day.
>>
>>965421
>trips/track log
Like I said, I don't use that function. Don't care for it. At all. It's useless for me.

If would be spending 250+ on a new one, I'd do it for:
-Color LCD and topographical maps
-USB syncing (for updating and adding waypoints)
-Being able to save more than a measily 125 waypoints, like I can now (sucks!)
-being able to categorise the waypoints and show only 1 category (not just scroll through thousands of waypoints by alphabet)
-Being able to search through the waypoints would be swell
-GPS *and* GLONASS
>>
File: 81znuZV4rtL._SL1500_.jpg (177KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81znuZV4rtL._SL1500_.jpg
177KB, 1500x1500px
First time GPS Buyer here. I'm really interested in picking up a smart watch for hiking/camping reasons. Never really used GPS for camping before, always just used maps and a compass. But I think I've narrowed my choices down to 3 watches. Which would you guys suggest?

Garmin Fenix 3
Garmin Epix TOPO U.S. 100k (pic related)
Suunto Traverse

Are there any cheaper alternatives to these with adequate storage to install any navigational/weather related apps?
>>
>>960341
well, it would be pretty cool know how to do a map, and having skills in cartography, geography and astronomy, not a fucking crippled minded faggot who literally cannot go outside without muh tech gadgets.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.