[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thought it should be time for another /out/ climbing thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 14

File: Boulders.jpg (3MB, 2100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Boulders.jpg
3MB, 2100x1500px
Thought it should be time for another /out/ climbing thread. Bouldering edition. What is everyone's early spring goals and trips? Outdoor/indoor climbing welcome
>>
File: lowrez.jpg (718KB, 1637x920px) Image search: [Google]
lowrez.jpg
718KB, 1637x920px
I started bouldering last autum and been indoors only. I can't wait to get outside and try climbing bouldering in the alps.

I have no specific goal, but one of my plans is spending a weekend at the Benediktenwand (pic related)
>>
Killer weekend at rocktown GA.
>>
>>959156
working on a local V7 roof, the part I used to walk through is impossible for big body me, and the old crux is easy...would be nice to go hit up my V9 project at the Apache holy grounds, super sexy iron cross foot match
>>
I busted an A2 pulley a few days ago in a finger slot on a V0. I just did my first V1 (outdoors) a few days before that. Going to be gradually getting back into bouldering over the next week, finger already feels mostly normal and I think it was a very slight rupture.
>>
>>959349
yea brah, just tape it up and keep cranking, you won't find yourself regretting that in two years when you realize you never let it heal properly. definitely do not research how to rehabilitate a pulley rupture, just tape up and crank!
>>
>>959352
Well you seem like a pleasant person.
>>
>>959357
he's just trying to help you.
and he's probably right.
>>
File: yeah, nah.jpg (157KB, 960x674px) Image search: [Google]
yeah, nah.jpg
157KB, 960x674px
>>959349
did you get it diagnosed, or did you just get an owie and you heard someone drop "a2 pulley" once so now you do it, too, to sound cool?
>>
Start climbing after a two month break due to a work related shoulder injury. Will probably first head indoors and play on the circuit boards and easy routes before trying to get back to where I was before my shoulder gave out. Then if my friends and aren't feeling like little girls we might get back out doors and roped up.

>>959187
Nice. Are you from near the alps or is just somewhere you have always wanted to climb?
>>
File: run.png (224KB, 800x423px) Image search: [Google]
run.png
224KB, 800x423px
>>959187
You realize Benediktenwand has alpine multi pitch routes where you really should know what you are doing and thats not really bouldering?
>>
>>959377
I live like half an hour from the bavarian alps, so I go there as much as possible

>>959434
Yeah of course. I have a very experienced guy among my friends who will come with us and we wont go in without practicing further. We know our limits pretty well.

But the Tutzinger Hut is amazing and I'm looking forward to a 2-3 day trip later this spring/ summer
>>
File: IMG_1986.jpg (112KB, 640x967px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1986.jpg
112KB, 640x967px
What is their endgame?
>>
File: 1488236364105.jpg (6KB, 145x145px) Image search: [Google]
1488236364105.jpg
6KB, 145x145px
>>959156

>It's a mother nature spares your dumb ass when you deserved to die episode

>inna Central Oregon
>rockclimbing with a buddy
>get to the top
>goat view of trees and rivers
>ready to descend
>fail to properly secure the rope
>buddy still fastening his pack
>forget to ensure he's on belay
>start descending
>rope comes loose 4 seconds later
>only survive because I was planted on the face and felt the lack of tension
>buddy yells at me the whole way home
>mfw can only say s-sorry
>>
>>960419
They just realized that their moral crusading is genociding their entire customer base. Time to panic
>>
Making waves
>>
>>961213
What the heck are on your feet?
>>
>>961219
it looks like some sort of synthetic animal skin coated in a tree sap derivative

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding
>>
>>961219
I hope you troll, though I don't see how its funny
>>
>>961393
Its funny because your feet are gay
>>
>>960442
Close calls faggot
>>
>>959156
Headed out to red rocks next week. Bouldering is not my preferred discipline, so I'll probably be devoting my time to sport and trad. However, if I'm feeling up to it, I may devote some time at the Kraft boulders.
>>
>>959156
Noting that the flavor of this thread is bouldering, would anyone mind if I ask about rope?

I need a new lead line and I'm looking for something with a reputation for abrasion resistance; most of the climbs where I live are rough, weathered granite slabs. Should I create a new thread? I know pretty much any decent brand climbing rope should be durable enough but I want to know if a particular product is renowned for its resilience.
>>
>>961464
>Should I create a new thread?
nah, fuck the pebble wrestlers

how far do you have to carry it, and how much is rope weight affecting your climbing relative to technique? thicker ropes are more durable, but heavier. for a specific recommendation, i have a mammut infinity with the dry coat that i've kicked the shit out of and is still super soft and nearly fuzz free. 9.8mm, iirc. it was fucking expensive, but a fantastic rope. alternatively, you could find something cheap on sale and then you won't care as much when it dies sooner. basically, would you rather buy a $130 rope every 3 years, or a $230 rope every 5 years?
>>
>>961213
Can I ask where that one is?
>>
>>961471
Most walk ins are trivial(when they are not the wieght of the rope is a minor concern) and the climbs are largely trad with long, easy run outs peppered with tougher sections, almost exclusively on the roughest fucking granite you've ever laid a hand on so I'm not that concerned with the weight of what's dragging behind just that it won't turn into a fuzzy mess in short order. I wouldn't mind splashing out for a nice line, funny you should mention that, I was looking at the infinity.
>>
>>961475
>trivial approaches
>run out trad
>20 grit granite
j tree?

the only thing i wish was different about my infinity is that it's not bipattern. but a loop of tape at the halfway point replicates that well enough. and it's still the softest, smoothest, most supple rope i've ever held, even when it was right out of the package.
>>
>>961241
LMFAO only those with toes of steel and fire can enter the dragon!
>>
It's not just any old boulder. It's a rock.
>>
>>961481
No, southern Africa, I've never had the chance to visit joshua tree but it's probably similar. Well it looks like mamut infinity might just win, thanks,
>>
>>959156
started in ~november 2016 and currently working on a V7/7a+

i really want to start bouldering outside since i cant stand the greasy holds indoors from retards who use way too much chalk.
>>
>>961400
nice dubs
>>
>>961504
>retards who use way too much chalk

Just bring a brush or use your gym's, brah
>>
>>961473
Rocktown GA!
>>
How can I find right-wing climbers?
>>
>>962157
I'm a right wing climber
>>
>>962178
I know. How do I find more?
>>
>>962188
yell make america great again when you show up at the crag
>>
File: 1459244230381.jpg (532KB, 3110x2073px) Image search: [Google]
1459244230381.jpg
532KB, 3110x2073px
I usually do solo freeclimbs and I have never used equpiment. I want to start using chalk this years though.
Is there anything an experienced climber can recommend me in terms of gear? What do you see as absolutely essential of the stuff you use?
>>
>>962366
nice dubs larpfag, teach me edgy
>>
>>962373
I'm sorry. Did I stumble over a meme or something?
>>
>>962366
3rd class scrambling=/=free soloing
>>
>>959286
Lock your car in the parking lot, it's in the middle of niggerville.
>>
>>962911
get over yourself faggot. If he wants to call it free climbing big fucking deal. Quit sperg lording over every reply, you just sound cranky and easily bothered.
>>
>>963127
first off, my post was an accurate and informative response to his. sorry it was a little too abrupt for your safe space.

second, maybe if instead of
>hurrdurr i saw a video about alex honnold once and now i call myself le ebin solo freeclimber
anon had just been honest about not knowing what the fuck they're talking about their question would have been addressed instead of being called out on their bullshit

finally,
>Quit sperg lording over every reply
exactly 2 other posts in this thread are mine, and they're both helpful, because they're to an anon who asked a reasonable question in a reasonable way. i'd say a better idea is how about you quit white-knighting like a bitch for some blowhard retard you're never going to meet.
>>
>>963138
I'm the OP you sperged on. You're right about me not knowing climbing culture, and I don't really care. I've been climbing for a decade and a half and never saw the need to invest in meme equipment. I climb for fun, not to look like some fancypants faggot.Now, I asked about chalk and what equipment you guys normally use. How about you answer that and ignore the rest of my post.
>>
File: smoke sumthin nigguh.jpg (24KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
smoke sumthin nigguh.jpg
24KB, 604x453px
>>963138
you're arguing with a samefag
>>
>>963127
>>963163
>>963164
>If he wants to call it free climbing
>he wants to call it free climbing
>he wants
>he
>referring to yourself in the third person
you're an even bigger faggot than i thought
>>
>>962366
Have fun dying
>>
>>962366
I am not an experienced. Climber but I like blocky chall which also happenis to be the cheapestas far as I know. O buy the metolius blocks which I can find in cotswold for 1.5 £ and the last me well enough and do a good job considering I have sweaty hands.
>>
>>962911
Seriously. If most of these people who claim to have been climbing for 20 years or free soloers saw actual 5th class rock they would shit.
>>
>>965627
free solo'er here, I shit myself everytime I come up on a new line I don't know yet, even with a rope, I can't break the no fall mindset
>>
File: 1488752637629.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1488752637629.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
>>959156
new climber here. never been bouldering outside of the gym yet but want to try when it gets warm. I know a lot of people say that gym doesn't translate well to real rock - why is that? is it the type of holds? is there a certain style or technique that works better on real rock? I'd like to practice on the gym routes that would help me improve most on my outdoor climbing
>>
>>966781
hard to say. holds and moves are just...different. i know that's not super helpful, but you'll see what i mean. outside grades are also much stiffer than indoor. also indoor you're trained to chase tape, while outdoors anything you can reach is on, so you have to (get to) find your own way more. though that can be less of a difference in popular bouldering or sport climbing areas where every hold is obviously chalked up.
>>
>>966781
it's the same as mexican spanish and european spanish
>>
>>966781
grades are a lot softer inna gym for ego boosting. An outdoor v0 boulder problem can feel like a gym v4
the other main difference is that the gym has the route laid out with holds, you have to find the holds in real life but on lower grades that can mean a whole lot of fun problem solving and each time you do a route it can feel different. Also if you're a strong climber with good technique almost every route has a million tiny situational crimps to help you out.

real rock also bangs up your knees really badly, you have to consider that the jugs are typically IN the wall instead of protruding out like inna gym.
>>
>>966781
>I know a lot of people say that gym doesn't translate well to real rock - why is that?

There are a variety of rock types and all of them are usually feel pretty different from the plastic holds at gyms. Beta is a lot less pronounced. Which is good in the sense that it's up to you to figure out how to get up the route, but takes some time to adjust to that mindset.

There's also a psychological aspect to it. Some boulders you can get pretty high on and you lose that feeling of a safety blanket you have in a gym.
>>
>>963163
>I've been hiking all my life
>up the stairs twice a day

>I'm actually a freediver
>occasionally hold breath for 1 min in the bath

>recommend me some meme equipment

how about you fuck off then
>>
Goals this spring is to be able to climb v3 and 5.10. I stopped climbing after an accident years ago and I got fat from not moving around, but that's going to change. I've been going climbing 3x a week or so and it's been great to get moving around and sweating again.

Luckily my girlfriend is climbing with me so I finally have a belay partner and a best friend to go with so that's really exciting and will keep me motivated since I have no friends besides her. Kinda hard to keep excited about something when the only people you can share accomplishments and goals with are people from /out/
>>
File: s.r.s.p..jpg (474KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
s.r.s.p..jpg
474KB, 1152x864px
>>969071
>Luckily my girlfriend is climbing with me
awesome. did you get her into it, or was it something she already liked? either way you're fortunate.

pic related: my wife at smith rock a couple summers ago.
>>
Are routes in the 5.0-5.5 range even listed in guide books? Starting to learn trad and looking for easy stuff to lead.
>>
>>969120
in comprehensive guides, yes (assuming the area you're going has climbs in those grades). in select guides, maybe.
>>
>>969083
I got her into it. I'm pretty lucky to be dating such a cool girl. At first she was scared to let go of the wall and trust me to catch her, but she has gotten pretty confident.

It's just the greatest thing sharing climbing with the person you love and them loving it too.
>>
>>969120
devils lake.

turks head ridge is chill as fuck, honestly, the whole place is chill. Rock is bomb proof, lots of low grade climbs, I went here specifically to learn trad.
>>
>>969071
>>969083
>>969128

Climbing girls are usually pretty awesome.
>>
File: dat horse pens feel.jpg (115KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
dat horse pens feel.jpg
115KB, 960x540px
I really want to get out to Horse Pens 40 again before it gets too hot and muggy out in spring+summer. Went there a couple times during fall/winter and it was a lot of fun. I'm very new to climbing (started in October) and I'm not that great at it, so I really just want to get out there and get some experience!
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.