[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you pack with your for emergency survival during a day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 3sixteen-dsptch-daypack-2.jpg (130KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
3sixteen-dsptch-daypack-2.jpg
130KB, 1280x853px
What do you pack with your for emergency survival during a day hike?

In my pack I always have a flint, solar cell charger. I also always pack a long sleeve regardless of the weather. What color shirt is the best for being seen? I mostly hike desert mountain.
>>
>>958064
Depends on your desert. Here in the American Southwest I go coyote/FDE where there are big gaps between flora(cactus,sage,juniper), but lean towards woodland (w/ tan trousers) for denser environments.
>>
>>958064
For being seen?
Reflective, (IR is better), blaze orange, neon green.
>>
>>958113
Yea, I meant for being seen in a search and rescue situation.
>>
>>958226
Obviously Mexican Landscaper Neon Green or Methhead Contractor Neon Orange.

I just keep a bandana for that, but my second bandana is chocolate chip camo.
>>
>>958064

I did geologic surveying in West Texas several years ago and had a surplus backpack which was easy to lose if I set it down for too long because of the color. I had a bright red ditty bag I could stretch over the bag and use as a signal panel if I needed and I still had my old 3M safety belt I'd clip around the bag when I was out in the boonies for visibility. I'd consider maybe getting a bright colored bag to put over your pack and either a bright colored shirt or safety/surveyor's vest to keep handy. Also good for not getting hit when you have to cross a roadway.
>>
I have an emergency blanket in my pack. It's folded up still in the package so it takes little space.
>>
I live in an extremely rainy environment. It isn't particularly hot or cold but hypothermia kills people in the back country every year. This is typically due to becoming wet and freezing over night, unable to dry off.

So if I were to become stranded overnight during a hike or whatever, my main goal is staying warm and dry. I carry in my day pack:

>Extra sweater
>Extra socks (also used as gloves)
>Small tarp and rope
>Waterproof rain jacket
>Standard fire making and bushcrafty stuff
>Whistle
>Mirror

The rain jacket is the most critically important item. It keeps the wind and rain off you. It can also be stuffed with leafs and other debris to create insulating loft. I honestly think a good jacket and sweater are more important survival items than knives and lighters and that sort of thing. If I slip off the trail and break a leg I doubt I'm going to be running around building fires and shit. But I can throw a jacket on and stuff it with leafs to survive through the night.

Fun fact, I have actually been stuck overnight in bad conditions twice before -

Once due to my truck breaking down on the mountain in the middle of winter. Alternator shit the bed and my battery was drained with no way to recharge. This meant I couldn't run my heater to stay warm, and it was freezing cold outside. Fortunately I keep a sleeping bag and extra clothes in my truck, so this potential "survival scenario" just ended up being an inconvenient camping trip, some missed wages at work, and a big tow truck bill.

The other time was worse. I was fishing at a remote hike-in lake, and a freak springtime snow storm rolled in on us. It was a complete white out situation with extreme wind and snowfall. We were unable to hike out safely, and before long the sun had set. My friend and I had to set up my emergency tarp and do our best to shelter a small fire all night. We threw all our extra layers on and sucked it up. One of the worst, coldest nights of my life, but we made it out okay.
>>
>>958622

Never really thought of a rain jacket being used to stay warm the way you suggested, that's a good thought. I hike desert and nights can get really cold. I have been saying I need to get good rain gear, so this is just another reason.

Only time I was stuck overnight was during a climbing trip. My buddy and I got a late start to the climb, which was 5 pitches, after a two mile hike in. We finished the climb and began the 3 rappel descent and the hike back around to our stuff. We had a hard time finding out gear and by the time we did it was dark. We still had about 1 mile of bushwhacking to the trail out. We decided to just use our packs as a bivvy and sleep rather than bush whack in the dark. I am confident we would have find our way out as it was just 1 mile in a straight east direction but we didn't want to risky injury or animal meet up(big cats are prevalent here). We made a small fire and tried to get some sleep. It was mostly just dosing in and out and looking at the time hoping for it to be morning. Worst part was not having food. We only brought snacks as this was supposed to be a day trip. First light we hiked out with no problems and ate the first diner we found.
>>
File: heino.png (134KB, 218x282px) Image search: [Google]
heino.png
134KB, 218x282px
>>958064
>emergency survival
>day hike
>>
>>958671

>Drive down an old forest service road with little traffic
>Get out and begin hiking
>There is some mixed weather, but nothing too bad
>Slip and hurt yourself

You're now in an extremely serious survival situation.
>>
>>958064
What bag is that?

Also, I carry rain gear, a mora, a first aid kit, an emergency bivy sack, matches, dryer lint as firestarter, 50ft paracord, extra boot laces, a headlamp and extra batteries. With the exception of the rain gear it's all in a ziplock freezer bag and goes in whatever pack I'm carrying.
>>
>>959303
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_system
>>
>>959319

So if you're friends are busy, you stay home and rot your brain huh?
>>
>>959319
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=self%20sufficient
>>
>>958064
water bottles
leatherman
flashlight

Also
my passport
letterpage with hentai waifu
enough rope to hang a dozen dindus
>>
>>959323
I'm sorry you don't have lots of /out/ friends and an /out/ gf
>>959326
No man is an island
>>
I used to pack the ten essentials. Now I just bring food, water, sunblock, and a headlamp.
>>
>>959356
go back to kikebook shill, tell us again about your new hit single "afraid to be alone"
>>
>>959356

>Be student in central British Columbia
>Studying wildlife management
>Literally everyone I associate with is /out/
>Gf is microbiology student & /out/

Sorry you're a pussy and can't bring yourself to break away from others for an afternoon and enjoy solitude in nature.
>>
File: BagShowingCondensation.jpg (80KB, 502x458px) Image search: [Google]
BagShowingCondensation.jpg
80KB, 502x458px
Came in knowing one of these faggots would be here:
>>958671
>>959319
>>959356
Just too cool for emergency supplies
>>
>>958671
sometimes unexpected shit happens.

in my fly fishing stuff there's always a reinforced space blanket for cover, basic first aid kit with iodine for water purification if need be, a lighter and some vaseline cotton balls in a ziplock if I need to start a fire in wet conditions, and a small folding saw and swiss army knife.

my making it to being found strategy is pretty much taking care of water and heat.

If you want to be seen I'd go with either neon pink or yellow.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.