[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most devastating natural disaster barring a massive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

What is the most devastating natural disaster barring a massive asteroid strike?

Hurricane?
Tornado?
Volcano?
Tsunami?
Earthquake?
>>
Mankind.
>>
>>957931
/thread
>>
File: 1487636893434.png (62KB, 794x578px) Image search: [Google]
1487636893434.png
62KB, 794x578px
>>957931
fpbp
>>
File: 8ab.jpg (53KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
8ab.jpg
53KB, 640x640px
>>957931
>>
>>957930
Despite the thread, a volcano can probably do the worst damage worldwide because huge volcanoes with lots of ash shooting into the atmosphere can change weather for years.

Tsunamis and hurricanes with bad storm surges are devastating to populated coastal areas and hurricanes can send real heavy rain pretty far inland and flood places so that's probably #2. Tornados are bad bud not very widespread. Most first world areas that are prone to earthquakes are also built to withstand them, but they are unpredictable unlike a lot of the other ones.

>>957931
People are pretty shitty, but this is Trump's America so I assume you aren't talking about "Cl***te Ch***e"
>>
File: tips.jpg (1MB, 1901x1144px) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
1MB, 1901x1144px
>>957936
m'lord
>>
Ok most devastating natural disaster, is going to be a Solar Storm.
One hasn't hit earth since 1859(Carrington Event), one almost hit earth in 2012
This will cause devastation to Western civilization because of our technological advancements. This will cause massive fires to all electronics, burning whole cities to the ground. This will destroy the equipment that farms our crops. People will starve, people will burn. I didn't feel like really getting in depth of what will actually happen. But this is pretty much the basis. Fires, starvation, economic collapse, complete loss of infrastructure.
>>
>>957964
>off-grider's paradise
I'm a high-tech guy with a low-tech backup plan.

>have job installing smart homes and home theaters
>lots of high-tech gadgets like tablets, custom PCs, stereo and entertainment center
>vidya galore
>in-home fiber network
>streaming media and cloud storage
>amazon echo
But if a solar flare hits and sends us back to the 1700's?
>massive garden that would rival a factory farm
>small livestock (goats, chickens, hogs)
>mason jars by the ton
>.223 rifle and hunting bow + ammo and arrows
>pre-milennium truck that features a distributor cap
>wood-burning stove
>fireplace
>outhouse
>water filters
>antibiotic and painkiller stocks
>food stocks good for 3+ years
>50+ rolls of duct tape
>forest property close to the shore (plenty of wood and salt)
>small faraday cage housing emergency electronics (solar panel charger, emergency radio, tablet loaded with PDFs and other digital media, USB flashlight, and battery bank).
>silver and gold pieces for bartering
>3 dogs for protection and entertainment
>acoustic guitar with 5 changes of strings

End of the world be damned!
>>
File: missouri-floods-january-2016.jpg (46KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
missouri-floods-january-2016.jpg
46KB, 650x366px
>>957930
Rain and Flooding. There's more damage done around the world every year by flooding than anything you listed.
>>
File: IMG_1500.jpg (347KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1500.jpg
347KB, 1200x1200px
>>957930
Is this a serious question? As if you didn't know already.
>>
A volcano that causes earthquakes and tsunamis and releases so much ash that it causes hurricanes and tornados
>>
>>957930
Bushfires, they're so deceptive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIHIsSJ2Txk
>>
>>957930
Massive fucking asteroids are natural disasters. Stop worrying, you pussy. All life could end tomorrow.
>>
>>958007

Only fucking idiots live at sea level or on flood planes. Even ants won't rebuild in the same spot after getting flooded.
>>
>>958114
The ants in my yard I piss everyday on still live in the same ant hill
>>
>>958114
That fact doesn't lessen the amount of damage it does.
>>
>>957964
A solar flare wouldn't be that dramatic. A few satellites would bite it, and some computers would die, but it wouldn't be as bad as you say.
>>
>>958148
Speaking from what had happened from the Carrington event. Telegraphs caught fire and sparks flew from them. Yes there would be massive amounts of fires. Since we don't know much about Solar storms, it's hard to say how much worse one can be than another one. Don't be ignorant, it would be devastating.
>>
>>958151
The difference is those telegraphs had thousands of miles of wire connected to them, which acted as a big antenna. Modern electronics are very different from old telegraphs.

>We don't know much about solar storms
Correction: You don't know much about solar storms.
>>
>>958148
>>958151
Actually, a solar flare can completely scour the entire Earth of life. We are just very lucky the sun is so stable and that the more recent large flare in July 2012 didn't hit us. The STEREO-A spacecraft was in the direct path, but it was built to watch and measure solar storms, so it was undamaged. Ground based electronic stuff would have been fucked and it wouldn't have affected life on Earth much if at all. But, the sun is capable of sending an ejection far past the orbit of Earth which would be like a blow torch.
>>
>>958152
Wow and what does our electronic grid do? Does is not connect thousands of miles of houses?
Guess what bud whats going to happen, is our electronic grid is going to shut down
the machines used to harvest our crops will break
machines used to mine our minerals that we need for automobiles, for infrastructure will break
Any centrifuge making our medicine is going to break
It will destroy nuclear power plants
We aren't even prepared for a situation like this, unless we harden every electrical system on the earth. And good luck doing that.
>>
>>958160
Our electrical grid is also designed to keep from eating itself if there's a fault. There would be damage, but it wouldn't be as bad as you make it out to be.

Are you that same guy from /k/ who claimed that a few people could shut down all electricity in the US?
>>
>>958162
No, but I'm sure a few people could do that lol, but not for any elongated period of time.
And believe what you want nigha, I'm sure your closet is a nice safe place
>>
>>957936
He's right though, mankind has done more to alter the earth and wildlife than any other factor for the last 65 million years.
>>
>>958170

We don't really know that though outside of politically driven narratives. We don't even know for sure what the deepest point of our ocean is, so how can we say that we know all about the geologic history of a huge period of time?
>>
>>958202
>We don't really know that though
Where do you think all the trees went you fucking retard
>>
>>958211

>chopping down trees > natural geological changes over 65 million years

Nah
>>
>>957964
>our understanding of electricity and electrical safety hasn't advanced since the 1850s
Nope
Not saying there won't be damage, but it won't be the apocalypse everyone says either. Good electrical safety practices make for a grid that is quite durable.
>>
>>958007
Quit talking logic and sense
This is 4chan.

>>958114
I agree with you that perpetually susceptible areas should not be insured in priniciple, thereby discouraging construction and investment in flood-prone areas.
As for ants, if what you said is actually true, there would be no ants at all where I live.
And yet they are still here in large numbers.
Nature doesn't care as long as there's food nearby. They deal with the catastrophes when they happen and eat good inbetween.
>>
>>958224

Don't be a shitlord. This is a safe space.
>>
Supervolcano

Yellowstone, Campi Flegrei or various other ones
>>
>>958007
That's basically what I mentioned here >>957939

Aside from a supervolcano wiping out all of our crops because no sunlight and freezing temps, hurricanes with storm surges and heavy rain bands going inland are probably the worst. Most of the other shit like high winds from hurricanes and earthquakes, the buildings in the area are constructed to survive them to an extent. But floods ruin everything.
>>
>>958005
What season of doomsday preppers were you on?
>>
>>957930
the 1931 chinese floods killed over 2 million people. the worst disaster in history in terms of human life...
>>
>>957964
>This will destroy the equipment that farms our crops

Yeah.... nah. Ag-head here.

I suppose a few of the farms that have gone full automated and computer controlled everything will get fucked, and Boswell won't have the international edge they've had since the 80s a lot of agriculture is still very hands on and labor intensive and there's just a fuckton of analog equipment that cutting edge tech simply hasn't been able to replace because farming is just too damn hard for sensitive equipment, and the fact is, even with a lot of the advances of the last few years in regards to tech, the basics remain pretty much the same and most tractors will probably need a couple hours work after a solar storm before they're up and running again if that.
>>
>>958202
I'm not really talking as much about modern climate change/global warming. Look into things like Martin's Blitzkrieg theory. Humans, and the animals they domesticate, are a serious force of nature. Hunting, accidental disease spreading, slash and burn agriculture, damming waterways, creating islands, etc. We can seriously alter the flora and fauna of a place sometimes.
>>
>>958212
6th largest mass extinction in history if we continue at the current rate
>>
File: 1481984783943.png (643KB, 649x703px) Image search: [Google]
1481984783943.png
643KB, 649x703px
Women's rights.
>>
>>957930
Solar flare/EMP probably worst sigler catastrophic event for humans.

Super/multiple coinciding volcanic eruptions probably worst for global biodiversity on the whole. Tsunamis, floods, fires, earthquakes and general nuclear winter type conditions could follow as side effects of a single event.
>>
>>958524
>mfw an abbacus that goes to 2M
Citation needed.
>>
>>957930
Depends what you want to devast, volcanic winter can fuck you up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event
>>
>>958673
An abacus can go 0 to 25,937,424,600.
>>
>>958230
>shitlord
>safe space
Hello, Reddit.
>>
>>957930
Volcano.

When jellystone blows billions of people will die, mostly in the third world.
>>
File: 1448069712820.jpg (153KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
1448069712820.jpg
153KB, 495x495px
>>960659
>Volcano?
Volcano.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Traps
>>
>>958593
What's the first? The dinosaurs, you dummy. We had nothing to do with that. I'd say 1/6 is pretty good.
>>
>>957964
So every preppers dream
>>
>>960905
>mass extinction
>good
>>
>>958202
The Loess Plateau begs to differ. So does the Middle East. We have been wrecking entire ecosystems for millennia.
>>
>>958005
You bought alot of shit there.
Why not just make a Faraday cage/garage & store your shit in that?
>>
>>957930
People killed by the most deadly [insert disaster here]:
Hurricane-8,000 to 12,000
Tornado-695
Volcano-71,000+ (possible up to 6,000,000)
Tsunami-280,000 (possibly up to 500,000)
Earthquake-830,000
Flood-4,000,000
A VEI 8 volcanic eruption could probably fuck shit up the most but its pretty unlikely to occur anytime soon
>>
File: e934SmB.jpg (48KB, 700x718px) Image search: [Google]
e934SmB.jpg
48KB, 700x718px
>>957930
Volcano for sure. Oh they can be so fun. A really big one makes for a grand time! Ash blotting out the sun, snow in summer, agriculture destroyed, oh what great fun. Localized extinction events linked to volcanos, I mean come on, that's where it's at! What a blast!

But hey, you like earthquakes? Look up the one that reversed the flow of the Mississippi River. Oh wowee what a beaut. Pioneers sure had a magnificent time with that one! Spectacular timing. If love to see an earthquake of that magnitude shake up the Midwest in my lifetime.

Geology is such fun. You drink beer, go for hikes, toil in nature, sit at a desk, and learn about how hard the earth can fuck life. Best major, but please don't join us. It's a difficult enough job market as it is. Fuck off. Here's a pretty opal with jasper inclusions. Look at the pretty rock and fuck off.
>>
>>960899
I mean no flood basalts have happened in like 10 million years
>>
>>961281
>You drink beer
Definitely a geology major
>>
>>961291
every geologist drinks beer
not every beer drinker is a geologist

there are a couple other requirements aside from benign alcoholism
>>
>>961316
And what could they possibly be?
>>
>>960905
>What's the first? The dinosaurs
Retard.
>>
>>961345

Don't they also have to like digging through dirt on the 1 in a billion chance to find an old bone?
>>
>>961316
I always get comments about how I'm the only geologist that doesn't drink. Mostly asking how I can call myself a geologist
>>961399
Is really not that hard to find fossils. Decent ones and ones that are significant to research are a bit more rare
>>
>>961399

That's paleontology dummy
>>
>>961291
I like beer
>>
>>961442
It's how we bond. You don't need to get plastered. You just need to share a few drinks and mingle. It how I got my first internship and part of how I was given a free ride through graduate school. It helped that I worked at a liquor store with a fantastic beer section and always brought the good shit to field camp (yes they didn't give a damn if lugged it in yourself and you do good work. In fact they loved it). It really pays to be a part of the culture.
>>
>>963147
Sounds fun desu. What is the pay like? Lots of camping involved? What do geologists think of axe collecting?
>>
>>963239
/out/ experience is well appreciated. /out/ hobbies like collecting axes would be similar to the rock hammer collecting that goes on.

The pay varies wildly depending on your specialty. How much time you actually spend outdoors varies just as much. Reddit has a surprisingly good "geology jobs" forum if you want to look into it. Be ready to be disappointed by how competitive it is.
>>
>>963472
Does anyone wear an Indiana Jones hat and carry a bullwhip?
>>
>>957930
Super Volcano like Yellowstone. It buried north america under ash. Ash from that event circled the globe creating a nuclear winter effect.

If that mountain side in the Gran Canarias breaks off and falls into the ocean whole (former volcano) then the resulting tidal wave will devastate coastal communities in the north and south Atlantic.
>>
>>958151
We had a solar storm strike in 1989 that shut down eastern Canada.. and another in 2003 that shut down the U.S north east states.

We still have them. Unlike the Carrington event there are cut outs in the transmission system that stop the massive surge from getting to far.
>>
>>963549
2003 wasn't a solar storm.
>>
>>963557
and what is your redefinition /out/lier?
>>
>>963489

Most of us do.
>>
>>963566
As with many disasters, many small and serious failures coming together to cause far more damage than they would have caused on their own. From what I remember, much of it was software failures.
>>
>>958601
Fuck me i think you are correct.
I am down in mexico and there are tons of male divorce refugees here.
Its depressing
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.