[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many days' food can you realistically carry with you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (133KB, 750x588px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 750x588px
How many days' food can you realistically carry with you before running out?

Assume 12-15km per day on varying terrain.
>>
>>955866
What's your height, weight, and age?
>>
If you're good at packing and choosing foods, you can get around 9 days in 10 pounds of food.

You should be more worried about water, you will never be able to carry more than 3-4 days.
>>
>>955871

5"9, inb4 manlet
9st5 toned/muscular
22yo

I have good stamina for hiking if it's worth mentioning.
>>
>>955875
Quit speaking british homo, this is an AMERICAN website
>>
>>955874
This, and dehydrated food that is easy to ruck can also dehydrate you. If there is water, pack a filtered pump and some iodine just in case. If you have that, you could make it about 8-10 days.
>>
>>955866
Need milk? Use a pack goat.
>>
>>955875
Here's the basic daily caloric use formula
9.99 x your weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x height centimeters) - (4.92 x your age in years) + 5

For you,
(9.99 × 59) + (6.25 × 175) - (4.92 × 22) + 5

Comes out to 1,580
Add in 15km of backpacking, at an average pace of 5km per hour (at sea level which in the UK I assume you are near), that's 3 hours which is about 620 calories for your age, height, and weight.

So overall you need 2,200 calories per day for 15km backpacking.

Obviously you need calorie dense and lightweight foods. Supposing you don't need to carry water and have a nearby river/stream (also it's the UK so you will have rain water), you can easily carry 4.5kg/10+lbs of food. For example at 260 calories and 68grams, you would need 1.25lbs of Clif bars per day, so 10lbs would last you 8 days. Nuts like almonds and walnuts are another source of lightweight high calorie food.

TL;DR: a bit over a week if you have a nearby water source
>>
>>955906

do you have any idea how bulky 10lbs of energy bars would be

how stupid are you, plus why would you want to live of the same thing for 10 days anyway.

>>955866

about 10
>>
>>955909
You wouldn't want to, and I'm allotting for 10lbs of food overall, should be about 1/5 of your pack weight and 50lbs is a normal size. Obviously you wouldn't want to eat just 8 Clif bars a day, but it's an example of the type of high cal low weight food you want, that's why I said "for example..."

Point is you want to keep in that calorie density/weight range so 8 or 9 days is reasonable, 10 or 11 if he doesn't mind losing a pound or 2.
>>
I've been /out/ for 2 weeks without resupply
And this was 20 years ago, so I could probably go longer now since I've learned to pack lighter
>>
>>955923

How/what would you recommend packing? Any tips?

>>955916
>>955906

Thank you for the advice and crunching the math.
>>
peanut butter is supposed to be one of the most calorically dense and complete foods you can have, and is also very flexible. different spices can turn peanut butter into a sweet or savory inclusion. for example, rice meal, spices, and peanut butter can make a host of different meals. do not take advice concerning the safety of your life from anons though
>>
>>955926
When I was younger I tried to crunch the numbers and find the food with the most calories per gram
Then I realized that the calorie counts for foods are ALL wrong (don't tell /fit/)
They do not include the digestibility of the food or the cost in digesting it
So nuts and seeds look like a good source of energy, but they are overvalued due to their cost in digesting and low digestibility
>>
>>955978
Calories are only a guideline anyway, it's not a measurement of how much energy the human body gets from it, it's a measurement of how much heat is generated by burning it. A quarter cup of beeswax is nearly 2000 cal, but you get nothing from it except waxy poops.
>>
>>955986
Bomb calorimeter data is modified by a set of equations to determine calorie counts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwater_system
It's still sketchy
>>
>>955866
You can't ask this question without saying how much weight you will choose to loose before giving in to burgers and doughnuts.
>>
>>955882
>calls someone homo
>is themselves a homo
>>
>>955875
>5'9" 131lb
>"""muscular"""

WEW
>>
>>956896

>he isn't part of the /skinny fit/ master race

wew

>>955866

it really depends on how much your other stuff is going to weigh. if, for example, you're also carrying a tent, then you'll have to sacrifice some food.
>>
>>956963
>he thinks you have to """"sacrifice some food""" to carry """a tent""" because he's """skinny fit""" and can't carry a man's pack

W E W
E
W
>>
>>956963
shut the fuck up about pack weight dont even go there
>>
>>955866
a lot, water is bigger issue. it takes up a lot of volume too.
>>
>>955866
fat is the most calorie dense for weight.

bring smoked bacon! some cheese some eggs for a little taste. eggs keep very well the cheese needs a little consideration or eaten early. you can also throw in some nutella. i would also pack some flour to make bread because eating fat in itself is not so fun.

2kg of bacon contains nearly 18000 kcals
2kg of flour contains 7200 kcals
1kg cheese 4000 kcals
10 eggs 740 kcals

this weights little over 10 pounds which is baby weight. should be enough for 15 days easily.
>>
>>957138
oh and 500g nutella would pack 2700 kcals

2kg flour would be enough for 12 larger baguettes or 24 smaller ones.
>>
>>957142
what about medium or average size baguettes
>>
>>957138
I'd recommend whole meal flour over white flour, if only because it'll supply macronutrients the rest of your diet won't like manganese and potassium (white flour will still supply b-vitamins but not nearly as much manganese and potassium).

Dried fruits are light, high calorie, and a good way to break up the monotony of meat products every day. Also pickled or fermented vegetables, etc if you don't mind lugging an extra jar or two.
>>
>>957148
no pack calories fuck retarded shit like whole flour that is literally the devils invention full of shit that does you harm and not enough calories!!

if you are worried about micros you can throw in a pack of multis and not even notice the extra weight.

dried fruit is a good idea in smaller amount and nuts too.

you can vacuum pack pickles without the extra water weight same for cured meat. put meat into heavily salty water add some lemon juice and you can put in some seasoning too if you like. after a couple of days of curing take the meat out drip it off and vacuum pack it it will be good for days up to a few weeks definitely even in hot climate. before eating you can soak it in water to leech the salt out some. i like salty so this is no biggie for me.
>>
>>957155
>full of shit that does you harm
to elaborate on this the fibers in it are actually damaging your gut without providing any scientifically provable benefit and the immuno proteins like lectin of the grains are all in whole flours which are basically designed to irritate anyone stupid enough to eat them.

you can avoid the lectin problem if you make flour out of germinated grains (very expensive if you can even get your hands on it) not sure if worth the hassle.
>>
File: ha.jpg (44KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
44KB, 446x400px
>>957158
>immuno proteins
paleofag detected
>>
>>957199
well they are part of the plants immune system what the fuck would you call them?
>>
>>957147
T'es un mal gars
>>
>>957210
>Lectins in plants are a defense against microorganisms, pests, and insects. They may also have evolved as a way for seeds to remain intact as they passed through animals’ digestive systems, for later dispersal. Lectins are resistant to human digestion and they enter the blood unchanged.
>Because we don’t digest lectins, we often produce antibodies to them. Almost everyone has antibodies to some dietary lectins in their body. This means our responses vary. Certain foods can even become intolerable to someone after an immune system change or the gut is injured from another source. The presence of particular lectins can stimulate an immune system response.

people are fed literal garbage that is bad for them at a premium price to white flour. fucking amazing if you ask me.
>>
>>957214
>what is cooking proteins to denature them
>quoting Precision Nutrition
>thinking nutritional science is a science
>>
>>955866
>pic

By eating watercress.
>>
if you had access to water, you could realistically carry enough for a month. 2x dehydration packs will keep you (poorly) fed for a month or so. Just have to be prepared to go hungry.

Other than that maybe 10 days if you wanna be comfy
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.