[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm heading to Philmont this summer, and I need to pick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
I'm heading to Philmont this summer, and I need to pick up a backpack soon. Anyone have any recommendations? Should I get interior or exterior frame?
>>
>>955803
whats your height and weight?
where do you carry most of your weight?
are you planing on getting buck or taking it easy?
what merit badges do you have?
>>
File: Plastique.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Plastique.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
>>955803
>>
>>955819
I'm about 6'3" and 180 lbs. Most of my weight is in my legs. My crew is doing the most rigorous course. I have basically all the eagle required ones except a partial in personal fitness and personal management.
>>
Philmont is fucking great, have fun OP.

I've always preferred exterior frame, but only because I find it slightly more versatile for different environments and pack loads. They can also let your back breathe easier, but that's up for debate.
>>
>>955826
since you are tall and im going to guess at little gangley i would say interior. exterior carries a little higher and might make you feel a little off balance where interior will hug you a little better.

ftbhimho senpai the only people that should have external frame packs are slightly overweight short sherpas.
>>
>>955838
Thanks for the advice man
>>
>>955841
np just remember i am a random person on the internet who may very well have no idea what hes talking about. support your local shop (if you have a good one).
>>
I did it with an internal frame, but anything it has to offer can still be provided by an exterior frame, but I still prefer the internal frame because I feel that it offers better load bearing characteristics.
>>
File: v69mj sm.jpg (143KB, 500x789px) Image search: [Google]
v69mj sm.jpg
143KB, 500x789px
I think internal/external frame is largely personal preference. I have one of these now (Eberlestock V69) and the contour+close to spine is so very comfortable but I also really like my old ALICE. the external feels more durable and I like being able to set it down in the mud
>>
What is philmont?
>>
>>956018
Boyscout world
>>
>>956018
A magical place where scoutmasters will poz your neghole or groom you for trannydom
>>
>>955803

went to philmount in 2010, did 78miles in 11 days or 12, cant remember. whats your hiking course look like?

Inter frame is best, most comfy. medium weight hiking boots too, make sure they are sturdy in the ankles. trust, last thing you want is to roll your ankel and still have to hike another 5+miles.

also boil your water, Seems silly... but trust. one of our guys got 24 hour flu from unclear water. he could have sipped from a stream, but it was not pretty.... just dont take the chance.
>>
>>955803
I prefer external frame bags. As long as the bag you choose fits you well you should be fine with either kind. I used an old external frame Kelty that I found at a thrift store. The one thing I wish I did was bring spare parts for the bag since I lost a couple pins.
>>
>>955803
Depends on how much you're carrying anon. If your total pack weight goes over 70lbs, definitely try to get an external. An internal would suit your needs much better for anything under 50lbs. In between it's kinda your call. Knowing you little trail clogging knot tying bastards like to pack a ton of stuff and opt for unnecessary weight, I'd say go external..
>>
>>956103
Our troop is fairly cut down on the retardation, they're grilling us on cutting unnecessary weight so I don't think my pack should be more than 50 lbs.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.