[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> I suddenly received the news that twenty Red soldiers had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: Beast Men Gods_Ossendowski.jpg (16KB, 242x354px) Image search: [Google]
Beast Men Gods_Ossendowski.jpg
16KB, 242x354px
> I suddenly received the news that twenty Red soldiers had surrounded my house to arrest me and that I must escape. I quickly put on one of my friend’s old hunting suits, took some money and hurried away on foot along the back ways of the town till I struck the open road, where I engaged a peasant, who in four hours had driven me twenty miles from the town and set me down in the midst of a deeply forested region. On the way I bought a rifle, three hundred cartridges, an ax, a knife, a sheepskin overcoat, tea, salt, dry bread and a kettle. I penetrated into the heart of the wood...

Recommend me mouth-watering /out/ literature. The best of the best.
>>
>>955383
Found your book for you and it reads as you say. Beasts, men and gods.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2067/2067-h/2067-h.htm
>>
>>955465
Fuck me, this keeps getting better and better.
>>
>>955383
bump for interest
>>
If you like POW literature with /out/ elements, I'd recommend 'The Long Walk' by Slawomir Rawicz, also about escaping Siberia (though there's some shit I don't believe in it, like going 12 days in the Gobi Desert without water) and also '450 miles to freedom', about a band of British officers escaping from a Turkish prison and hijacking a boat to get to Malta. Good shit.

The Andersonville Diary by John Ransom is the best POW book I've read (you can find it on Archive.org), but his escape attempt is short-lived.
>>
>>955383
Just started this shit- audio book on youtube- it's really fucking good! They're just crossing the border out of Russia where I'm at.
>>
>>956897 The long walk is a fiction novel.
>>
>>957115
According to Wikipedia it's a true story, only based on someone else's experience, not the author's.
>>
Call of the Wild is sorta compulsory outcore

Heart of Darkness is great too, bit less outdoorsy stuff but the colonial africa setting is really interesting
>>957115
No.
Honestly, we won't know for sure what parts are true, stretched or false.
Just take it for what it is, a good book.
>>
Are we doing some mandatory /out/ reading?
I'll throw in a few then
>>957179
Call of the wild is great, jack london's white fang is on pat with this as well, tells the reverse story of a half wolf/dog coming into society.

In Patagonia for those interested in a non fiction

Have a son you want to get into /out/ shit?
Read that boy Hatchet, then brians winter. Fantastic stuff that while a little unrealistic, pretty much sparked my own interest as a kid.
>>
File: 2940014446907_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg (26KB, 260x316px) Image search: [Google]
2940014446907_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg
26KB, 260x316px
Any of this series if you enjoy the classics
>>
>>957236
>Have a son
Remember where you are mate
>>
>>957236
>tfw we did a unit on the Iditarod in grade school because my teacher was an Alaska freak
>placed my bets on the author of Hatchet, he wrote Hatchet so he must know his shit
>only makes it a few miles out the gate before dropping out

fuck that guy
>>
>>955383
>>955465
Amazing book anon. Great read.

It reminds me of a book I read in a library that I have never been able to find again. I cannot remember the title or the author. It was filed in the anthropology section of a college library.

The book was a true story about a westerner in Russia. For some reason he was deemed suspicious by the government (spy). He worked with the natives (yes, Russians also have Indians) and so promptly disappeared into their world for several years. The whole book was about him surviving in Siberia and balancing on the mental edge. He was often alone for months or only in contact with one or two other people. It was absolutely packed with interesting stuff about surviving in the tundra.

I remember the title has something to do with Werewolf, Skinwalking, or something like that because I thought it incredibly strange that A. a hyper Christian college had it in their library and B. that it was Russian. The title was important as for a while there the author actually starts mentally devolving into a wolf and his friend has to snap him out of it.

The natives had a habit of religiously asking the Ocean to yield food and if they caught nothing they would curse her for being a stingy bitch.

The author was frustrated at the native belief that there was a finite number of souls. No such thing as over hunting, since those souls would just cycle back up next season.

The only other bit I can remember is the Russian government thinking the tribes were embezzling money because as soon as a native received anything he promptly gave it to anyone who asked.

It bugs the hell out of me that I can't remember what it was called since it was such a fantastic resource. I went back a year later to track it down, and the college had gone through and "cleansed" the library. Nothing mythological remained.
>>
>>955383
Just another old world man dying in the early 20th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg
>>
>>958128
Sounds badass. I'd be very interested to know the title.
>>
>>958128
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/266485.Last_of_the_Breed

This?
>>
File: the_dog_stars.jpg (17KB, 280x365px) Image search: [Google]
the_dog_stars.jpg
17KB, 280x365px
This one was pretty good and /out/ as fuck
>>
File: abstract wild.jpg (47KB, 237x400px) Image search: [Google]
abstract wild.jpg
47KB, 237x400px
>>955383

>"The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction."
>>
>>959019
>The Dog Stars is a post-apocalyptic fiction novel by Peter Heller. Set in Colorado, a man lives a lonesome existence in an airplane hangar with his dog and dour gunman he has befriended.
Minus the dour gunman, this is the fantasy I fall asleep to every night. Will check out.
>>
Can anybody recommend journal accounts of woodsmen in North America?

Pic related. Great read. It's about a timber cruiser in northern Ontario through the 1950's. Cozy descriptions of nature and his general day to day life throughout a year.
>>
File: CacheLakeCountry.jpg (65KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CacheLakeCountry.jpg
65KB, 715x1080px
>>959250
of course I forgot pic
>>
>>955383

Walden by Henry David Thoreau should be /out/ enough. Opinions and a cabin in the woods.

Also, check out John Muir if you're interested in great descriptions of the great outdoors and every great flower on the way.
>>
>>959289
This
>>
>>959250
Look up Nessmuk. He was a wilderness guide around NY state back when it was true wilderness, and made it his life's pursuit to build the lightest canoe possible. He's a true legend. There's a reason when you put a hatchet, knife, and jacknife together it's called a 'Nessmuk trio'.

There are some diary-style anecdotes in this book http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34607/34607-h/34607-h.htm
>>
File: 9780394416908.jpg (50KB, 184x280px) Image search: [Google]
9780394416908.jpg
50KB, 184x280px
Big Woods, the hunting stories of William Faulkner.
amazing reading, kind of sad as he describes how the wild woods of Mississippi are increasingly invaded by civilization.
>>
File: ursu.jpg (11KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
ursu.jpg
11KB, 182x276px
>>959803
also, and kind of strange for this board, The Left Hand of Darkness, a science fiction novel by Ursula K. Le Guin. it describes a planet where is always winter and two guys have to cross an endless tundra in the harshest weather.
>>
>>955383
r-ing more true /out/ stories, the older the better
>>
>>959803
I can taste burning circuitboard whenever I try reading his fictional works, but this sounds interesting.

Anyone else read 'Endurance'? The story of Shackleton's final voyage
>>
I like survival stories set in civilization; about surviving extreme poverty for the same reasons I like stories about surviving in the wilderness. It's all about doing what you can, with what you have, where you are.

-George Orwell's non-fiction stuff is the best. 'Down and Out', and essays like 'The Spike'.
-Jack London's 'People of the Abyss'
-Knut Hamsun's 'Hunger'
-Frank McCourt's 'Angela's Ashes'
-Mohamed Choukri's 'For Bread Alone' (only book ever to have made me cry)
>>
File: mbd.jpg (23KB, 228x346px) Image search: [Google]
mbd.jpg
23KB, 228x346px
enjoyed this
>>
>>958128
>>958139
>>958529

Finally found it!

Soul Hunters: Hunting, Animism, and Personhood among the Siberian Yukaghirs by Rane Willerslev.

On the Run in Siberia also by Rane Willerslev

I read Soul Hunters, but On the Run looks to be even more survival oriented. I'll have to pick up a copy.
>>
>>959806
How is it possible to cross an endless tundra?

t. my autistic side
>>
>Not one mention of Butcher's Crossing
>>
>>959898
WTF!
I know about this guy.
He and his identical twin brother are both renowned professors in Denmark and have both lived and hunted in Siberia.

Can highly reccomend!
>>
>>955383
The Border Trilogy by Cormack McCarthy

Im only on the second book now but its pretty incredible
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.