[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone raising animals with 0% store bought feed? All food coming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (179KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
179KB, 1280x720px
Anyone raising animals with 0% store bought feed?
All food coming from kitchen scraps or foraging.

Please share your story.
>>
>>954103
It's expensive and most of them die from improper nutrition.
>>
>>954106

Expensive how?
>>
>>954103
Grow maize, soy and pumpkin together in the same patch (they are meant to be crowded). Separate into chunks and sun dry all parts of all plants after harvest and pulverize into granules for storage. Soak each days' worth of granules overnight to make mash for feeding livestock.

Any grain, any legume and any cucurbit should work for this, but I chose the ones I did because they typically produce a larger volume of nutrient-dense seeds and straw (and in the case of pumpkin, fruit) as well as being relatively fast-growing crops that may yield more than one harvest per season, depending on climate. The mash should be edible to swine, bovine, equine, fuzzy bunnies, and all fowl, as well as humans, though many people may find the amount of dietary fiber to be excessive.

Nutrient availability and caloric quantity may increase by fermenting the mash, but you might need to keep an eye on the microflora to prevent undesired bacterial growth. (I don't do this, just saw it on YT once and thought it may also be of interest to you).
>>
>>954103
>animals
Yup, trout and chickens. Nothing big, but your other options are
>>954130
>>
>>954457
>trout
Tell me a bit about trout farming?

do you just have a medium sized dam stocked with lots of trout then let them breed?
Is there anything you need to provide for them aside from food?
>>
>>954111
Cost of opportunity. It cost you time and you can't do someting you could sell.
>>
>>954103

You can raise ducks without buying feed. That's about it. They lay eggs more than chickens, except in winter.
>>
I was thinking of starting a maggot farm for protein.
But saw scare posts about bacterial toxins.

Which makes sense. If hassle free protein like maggots really existed then we'd have industrialized maggot farms selling them.
>>
OP, depends on your latitude and how long you are keeping animals.

You could do fowl, and sheep/goats. Pigs would be trickier.
>>
>>954492
Tilapia is a common choice for backyard farming because they handle crowding well and don't have a strong flavor. You'll probably need to select your brood based on the amount of space you have available and your climate.

Bonus: Emulsion / fish water makes a really good fertilizer, which you'll need in one form or another, since you'll constantly be removing nutrients from the soil in the way of food.

>>955059
We do. What do you think a chicken nugget is?
Kidding. Still, vermiculture (maggots/worms/other decomposers) can be an excellent source of calories for livestocks such as fish and chicken.
>>
Appalachian mountain people fed their pigs using just corn and browse
>>
>>955059
Actually farming insects is the most energy efficient way of farming protein. Things like crickets will eat pretty much anything, have a low BMR, and are something like 90% protein
>>
>>955708
Yeah, but that's not what you want if you're looking for something to live off of. Protein alone causes rabbit starvation; you need fat calories, and bugs are too lean.
>>
>>954902

How big of a pond do you have to build so the pond generates its own feed?
>>
has everyone seen Sepp Holzer's sustainable farm /trout aquacultlure yet? He is a god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMXqgQIU9c
>>
>>958053

this video is specifically about sustainable low maintenance aquaculture/pisciculture and his Amazing system of natural ponds, a legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skn38Wlha8
>>
>>956108
Ducks don't need a pond, just daily fresh water. The forage for slugs and bugs and shit. I would not have them in a pond unless the pond is huge because ducks shit, A LOT in water and most small ponds can't handle that much nitrogen.

If you have a lake or a flowing stream you are set though, you can even free range them and they mostly will take care of themselves.
>>
>>954103
I know someone who fed a pig nothing but biscotti for like 2 years, he said it tasted amazing.
>>
>>954103
>Anyone raising animals with 0% store bought feed?
>All food coming from kitchen scraps or foraging.

I have 3 children so yes
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.