[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can short swords be /out/? But I can see it replacing a standard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 15

File: s-l225.jpg (19KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
19KB, 225x169px
Can short swords be /out/?

But I can see it replacing a standard knife in terms of use with enough heft to clear brush and cut/split wood
>>
>>953851

No. Stop being such a weeboo.
>>
>>953851
only if you wear a cloak and a bow also
>>
File: Schrade Priscilla Brush Sword.jpg (25KB, 1024x126px) Image search: [Google]
Schrade Priscilla Brush Sword.jpg
25KB, 1024x126px
>>953851
Honestly, there is nothing more fun than running around the woods with a sword... It's not practical though, at lest for bushcrafting. I normally have a swordchete on me though just for the fun of it. Currently I have a Cold Steel Cutlass Machete and a Cold Steel Chines War Sword Machete.

I just bought one of these yesterday, I'll post about it when I get it. It's a Schrade Brush Sword, I'm excited because it's more sword and machete. Also looking into getting the Condor Naval Cutlass and Hanwei Banshee at some point, they are pretty much actual swords that could be used at some effect on brush.
>>
>>953851
OP you are a genius, also use it like batonny knife and report results
>>
>>953851
i'm working on smithing my own seaxs, so yah, kinda. think a scaled-up woodcarving knife with a bit of a cleaver feel
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25KB, 336x188px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
25KB, 336x188px
>>953851
this is how do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxH2QordzyE
>>
File: Moth.gif (309KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Moth.gif
309KB, 480x360px
>>953884
Oh gawd... it's everything wrong in the eyes of an outsiders view of sword collectors.
>>
File: the moth man of out.png (595KB, 1508x2116px) Image search: [Google]
the moth man of out.png
595KB, 1508x2116px
>>953885
we all know why that moth is angry
>>
>>953885
Looks like a typical sword collector to me.
>>
>>953876
did you get that out of necessity or just for fun? and where are you planning on using it? (As in, where do you go for bushcrafting)
>>
>>953903
I think I explained it pretty well already. Not out of necessity, just for fun. I don't do too much bushcrafting in the traditional sense, a lot of path clearing and trail blazing.

Typically I would carry a blade like this, or a machete, or a small ax, along with a more traditional knife. I think this brush sword will be far better suited for the kind of stuff I'm up against, in Central Maine, a lot of junk wood like Bass, Poplar, white pine, all around 1"-4"
>>
>>953876
is that pre or post shit tier schrade?
>>
Stay inside you neckbeared.
>>
>>953851
Only appropriate if the blade is rated a minimum of choppy chop by the /out/ hammerhead system. (ASTM spec is escaping me, but check under section O.P. subsection faggot rating.)
>>
>>953884

oh lawd
>>
I carry ww1 bayo replica instead of machette. It's lighter and more practical in my euro climate, and good enough on bushes etc.
>>
>>953851

If you think that pussy little katana can cut or split wood, you have never cut or split wood.
>>
>>954036
does that look like a fucking katana to you?
>>
>>953851
Not sure about splitting but I know some swords are basically just monster machetes which makes them useful brush clearing and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAE1vHqsxE
>>
>>953851
Yup. In the twelve years you've been alive, you've outsmarted thousands of years' worth of skilled tradesmen who dedicated their lives to building tools to precise specifications unique to their intended purpose. Good job, OP; I'm jealous.
>>
>>954105
/thread
>>
>>954066

The fact that you know either way says a lot more about you. You fat, neckbearded, foreveralone virgin.
>>
>>954128
Knowledge is power and ignorance is weakness, but shunning knowledge is just plain retarded.
>>
>>954105
I mean, machetes are just a cross between knives and swords pretty much aren't they? And machetes can be /out/
>>
>>954155
I've stated my opinion sarcastically. What more do you want? If you're going to ignore it so you can justify doing things the hard way rather than using a tool designed specifically for the job you intend on performing, go for it. Will it work? Probably. Would it be better, easier and all-around smarter to use dedicated tools? Definitely.
>>
File: ProdPhoto88821[1].jpg (21KB, 650x262px) Image search: [Google]
ProdPhoto88821[1].jpg
21KB, 650x262px
>>953851
Fascine knife is sorta a short sword.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascine_knife
>>
I think it would be good practice and exercise to sword your way through thick ass briars or a stand of cane. Seems like a legit /out/ activity to me.
Just make sure no hunters have video trail cams set up though. It would probably look pretty gay on youtube.
>>
>>953855
fpbp
>>
>>954155
Machetes have always been explained to me as a cross between a knife and a hatchet. While the form of a machete might seem more akin to a long knife, the function of the tool on the other hand is suited more to slashing and chopping, much like an axe.
But as for taking a short sword, all swords are at their heart military instruments, not really a tool dedicated to clearing away brush or chopping lumber. It seems to me that while they may be able to satisfy the roles of a machete or hatchet, they would do it with far less efficiency while also potentially weighing more.
>>
>>954238
True machetes are lighter in the blade, meant for tropical undergrowth and sugar cane. Chopping knives, kukris, etc. are heavier and often shorter.
>>
File: 3766894627_1121395a00_o.jpg (88KB, 900x333px) Image search: [Google]
3766894627_1121395a00_o.jpg
88KB, 900x333px
I use a Swamp Rat Rodent Waki for bushcrafting. Going to be taking it if I make it on Alone Season 5.
>>
>>954273
Anon, Day 1: "I don't know a whole lot about surviving in the wilderness, but if we get attacked by zombies, I'm winning this thing!"
>>
>>954177
Now that's an /out/ short sword. Heavy enough to split wood, weighted like a machete for brush clearing. Apparently used for digging by troops as well
>>
>>954273
I've wanted one of those for a long time, never got around to getting one when they were in production.
>>
>>953980
That is a truely fine ass I would gladly sheath my sword in!
>wink, wink, nudge, nudge
>>
>>953980
welp, looks like I have a new fetish
It's funny how if this were a male it would be pathetic and something everybody would make fun of, but since it's a (not-fat) woman it makes it sexy AF
>>
>>953855
how is roman gladius weeboo?
>>
>>954277
I would root hard for the guy who spends his first couple days putting up anti-zombie pallisades, gotta admit
Could definitely be a good way to differentiate yourself from the rest of the applicants they get. Really play up the cringy autist angle, but back it up with at least some amount of real knowledge and skill, all of which you explain off with shit like
>I learned to make this solar distillery because it would be great for removing any traces of z-virus or bacteria from the putrefaction of zombies caught in your water supply, but in this case it makes a handy desalinator
>Snares are only one line of defense against zombies, and won't be lethal on their own. They're simple enough to make however that they can still be worth the time to set up, particularly when you're only expecting individual stragglers rather than hordes, or don't have time to prepare more elaborate traps. Their advantage is that they don't require much in the way of material and can be set up in many different places that zombies are likely to stumble into, but you will have to walk the line and execute and captures regularly to keep them active, which can be a risk. Also they catch rabbits and stuff.
>>
>>953851

not really.

Swords, that are deemed "battle ready" are hardened to around 50 hrc, to withstand the rigors of combat. That makes them poorly suited for /out/ related tasks. Not to mention that the hilt and guard design is really at odds with what you want in a bushcraft/survival knife.

Best you can hope for is some kind of cutlass, or something like a 1796 light cavalry saber replacing a machete. A langseax might work as well.

That, and numerous bowie knives and/or langseax being long enough to maybe consider them short swords.

TL:DR: some designs might work in lieu of a machete, but most are useless for /out/
>>
>>954153
>and with that final quip he tipped his fedora and disappeared into the night
>>
>>954383
>thinking it's the swords and not the leather straps
>>
File: woman with sword.jpg (127KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
woman with sword.jpg
127KB, 957x1300px
>>954520
>this didn't give him a girls-with-swords fetish
>>
>>954590
>jacking off to stock images
>>
>>953851

Ignore the avalanche of utterly clueless comments from these fagg/out/s.

A modern chopping knife is pretty much a long piece of 5160, A2 or S7 hardened to the mid 50s HRC with a blade heavy balance.

Many of them are pretty much short swords, so yes.

Here is an example of some in use:

https://youtu.be/gFIQe9ie6ng
>>
>>954636
cool video. But I'm not sure how transferable that would be to chopping at slightly larger wood- for example splitting firewood from a log
>>
File: 00403a.jpg (48KB, 1000x277px) Image search: [Google]
00403a.jpg
48KB, 1000x277px
heavy blade and thickness, used historically for cutting shrub

Is it /out/?
>>
it's called a machete you fucking weeb
>>
>>954636
It looks like a short sword, but it's not, it's a chopper. A defining feature of what makes a sword a sword is it having a good design for killing people if not going up against other swords.

This blade would be very bad as a weapon for it is so heavy and weight forward, like a machete/chopper. It would be slow to recover, now there were some swords like this, and plenty of machetes have been used as weapons, but I would really consider this somewhere between a large chopper and a heavy machete.
>>
>>953980
god i would want her to keep the swords on
>>
>>954597
>yes
>>
I carry my Enfield's bayonet (along with the rifle), so it's not ridiculous. It might as well be a short sword. I also carry an entrenching tool and either a hatchet or axe depending on where I'm going.

If I'm going where I may need to split up rocks I will also include a mattock.

I just like being prepared.
>>
>>954900
I want an Enfield bayonet so fucking bad.
>>
>>954903
Yeah they are cool, I have a 1907 (pic related)... But they really are not great for anything other than stabbing... I mean it's a bayonet after all, not a sword.
>>
>>954900
Just get an etool with a pickaxe
>>
>>954155
Machete where originally a sword, more first world one are too thin to be useful as one though.
>>
>>953851
What are you expecting to run into Orcs? This ain't Baldurs Gate lad
>>
>>953851
Only if you wield it in your offhand with a long sword main hand. If you don't, you'll get a negative to hit.
>>
>>954105
/thread
>>
>>953876
This guy... this guy gets it.

It's all bullshit, in the end. Any hobby is bullshit. Just do what's fun, and admit you're doing it because it's fun.
>>
File: 1479787149147.jpg (6KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
1479787149147.jpg
6KB, 237x213px
>>954483
God damn why are there so many imaginary conversations on this website.
>>
>>956093
>>>954483
>God damn why are there so many imaginary conversations on this website.
Because this board is for people who imine they will some day go outside..
>>
File: My Valiant Armoury Rhinelander 3.jpg (490KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
My Valiant Armoury Rhinelander 3.jpg
490KB, 2048x1536px
>>956071
Ayyy. My Schrade Brush sword is arriving today... and I got this yesterday... unfortunately it's a bit too expensive for me to actually use out in the woods, not to mention it has no practical use, unlike a swordchete.
>>
>>956345
>it has no practical use

Correct.
>>
File: IMG_4969.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4969.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>953876
>>956345
I got it!
>>
>>953884

what's this? Will Keith's skinnier European brother?
>>
File: 1_Rangthylliang_1.jpg (4MB, 4320x3222px) Image search: [Google]
1_Rangthylliang_1.jpg
4MB, 4320x3222px
>>956404
Looks like a Bolo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_knife
I like the design more than the typical machete or kukri, but I'd rather have a filipino-made original than a schrade clone
>>
>>957873
story on the pic?
>>
>>953851

Sure

You have a thicker machete

No doubt useless for most things you do when /out/, but you can use one for things /out/.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.