[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Land purchasing thread. Is it worth it? I'm a young /out/ist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Desert Land.png (767KB, 558x609px) Image search: [Google]
Desert Land.png
767KB, 558x609px
Land purchasing thread. Is it worth it?
I'm a young /out/ist and have been putting money into savings for a few years now.

If I buy land I know I can camp out, but could I hike on it?

How much should I get? 1-5 acres seems too small. I wouldn't be able to hike very far.

100 acre plots are out of my price range. I only have close to 25k saved up.

Are auctions or fixed price sales better?

If I just get a couple acres out in the middle of the woods, can I hike on my neighbors land?

Should I just not buy land and use public land?

Are there better websites than what google gives me? (landandfarm, landwatch)

What is a good price/acre ratio. Pic related is about $250/acre
>>
Is this a bait thread, or is op just stupid?
>>
Fuck that buy a hovercraft
>>
>>952185
Yes, it is very worth it. If you can pay for it in cash all the better. No one will be able to take it away from you for a long time if you lose your job for whatever reason. Paying taxes is far far less than paying rent.

You probably need 10-30 acres. That will help you have some buffer room from the boarder. As far as neighbors go, you have to ask for permission. Be a good neighbor. If you buy something, pay extra money to have it surveyed even if it was just surveyed not long ago. Never allow anyone to make a fence or keep a fence across ANY part of your land. Some states give that chunk of fence properly to the other person if you don't get rid of it in x amount of time (years normally).
>>
>>952203
OP lives in the city and has never bought property before. So yes he is stupid in that regard.

>>952231
What exactly is the purpose of getting land surveyed? Is that just an evaluation, and what are my options for talking the seller down?
>>
>>952185
Go to a real estate agency, preferably local to where you want to buy. They can check the MLS for new land listings. MLS is a subscription service that you can only view if you have a real estate license. The best deals in terms of price and most desirable land in real estate tend to get bought up within a week - or even a few days - of being listed, and you probably aren't getting the most updated listings by looking at free websites, which are really more meant for advertising and not inventory.

$25,000 will get you some land for sure. How much land, where it's located, what it looks like, what kinds of things you can do on the land and so forth will determine the price.

For example, you might be able to buy dozens of acres out in the desert for that price that you can do whatever you like on, but it may be a hundred miles from anywhere or there may not be any easy way to get electricity or water to it. On the other hand, there is such a thing as undeveloped land in a "cabin community" (basically, a plot around a lake or something in the mountains) where you might only get about 1 acre and be limited in terms of what you can build on it (i.e., just a single family cabin), but it might be pretty close to a town or be located in some scenic mountains and there would probably be a relatively affordable way to hook up utilities.

I would not buy $25k of land specifically to go hiking on, simply because the cost to benefit ratio is really low, unless your idea of hiking is just walking around the same mile or so of trail over and over. Camping, fishing, hunting, target shooting maybe would be another story, but you can do all of these things on public land too - and the most prime private land for all of those things is going to be more expensive anyway.
>>
>>952236
There is a thing call averse possession. If your neighbor builds a fence on your property, or even if he just uses it regularly to let his cows graze on it or something like that, and you don't petition him to stop, he can legally be awarded the part of your land that he was using. It's a pretty stupid law, but something you need to be careful of.

If you do decide to let his animals roam on your property be sure to consult with an agricultural lawyer, there are a ton of weird laws regarding this stuff. Just watch your back.
>>
>live near a beach in Texas
>Hurricane wipes it out
>land selling for $1k an acre beachfront
>BEACHFRONT
>don't buy because various reasons
>10 years later
>selling for $40k an acre

I pray for another hurricane every summer.
>>
File: i-kvwNKjg-L.jpg (69KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-kvwNKjg-L.jpg
69KB, 800x451px
Buy a place to live first, and start squirreling away funds into a retirement account. Condo, townhouse... something affordable and within your means now. That'll typically grow more and be more useful to you for the next 5-10 years, while getting the tax benefits of home ownership. Keep the place up, make improvements, that'll be a better investment than bare land.
If the company you work for offers a percent match on retirement investments, take full advantage of that (if they match 3%, put in 3% to start with - it seems like a lot, but you're effectively putting in $2 for every $1).

Make good choices, get a solid job/career, live within your means, then when you can comfortably afford that additional land, do it.

It's not a bad investment, but you're going to have to sit on that for 10+ years (if not longer) to make it worth it, and it's a big investment up-front.

Kitchen/bath remodel for my place coming up in the next couple months, hopefully list/sell it this fall. Still need to talk to some bankers, but looking at things now it should be a good move for me.
>>
>>952236
>What exactly is the purpose of getting land surveyed?

So you know 100% what you own and where it is. Updating the local public land records when you buy it with a new survey will go a long long way in your favor if any legal actions are taken against you or you against someone else.

>>952315
Same with someone growing something on your land too.
>>
For 25k you can get 3 acres on the creek (it's actually a river) with 640,000 acres of DeSoto National Forest, Black Creek District, right on the opposite bank.

Downside is that, if you ever decide to build on it, the structure will have to be 12 feet off the ground if you want insurance, and still, you have to add flood insurance.
Rednecks were pretty much invented here, but if you respect them, they respect you.
Canoe traffic is not too bad on the creek during the summer, but can get busy certain weekends.
Pretty big Rainbow Gathering around Christmas, but it would be few miles from you at least (pro or con depending on how you feel about that).

Upside: 640,000 acres of NF, 160,000 acres of which is protected hardwood forest, the rest is pines. You can hop in your Canoe and float for 4-7 days until you come out in the Gulf of Mexico, and it's NF 70% of the ride.
Cost of living is cheap here.

It's hot and humid as fuck in the summer, but CREEK. Winter is hardly winter. 2-5 days and 25 nights a year with highs and lows below 40°. Might snow for a day in 2 years if You're lucky.

Check it out.
>>
>>952430

Buying a place is dumb as fuck.

Watch the video, look at the facts that they actually link you, shut the fuck up. Cause you don't know shit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHU_KLYhibI
>>
>>952430

>tax benefits of home ownership

Generally nothing, unless paying tax is a benefit to you. You is dumb
>>
>>952465
Must be eurotrash or stupid person. In the U.S. there are many tax advantages for home owners.
>>
>>952500
Yeah. Like $3000/yr in County Property tax and $3000/yr insurance, $5000/yr intrest, $2500/year on principal, then $2000/year maintenance with $25,000 down on a $125,000 house. But I "own" it, and the intrest is tax deductible.
>>
File: 1467111379675.jpg (87KB, 567x564px) Image search: [Google]
1467111379675.jpg
87KB, 567x564px
>>952543
based af
>>
>>952543

>the intrest is tax deductible.

Not the first $6000 ($12,000 if married)

Obviously you don't own a house
>>
>>952185
I know a few smart people who bought small plots of land adjacent to gigantic tracts of state park lands so as to obtain the benefits of owning tons of acres without paying for its use. Just walk out your backyard and roam
>>
File: 1487348939972.jpg (90KB, 500x576px) Image search: [Google]
1487348939972.jpg
90KB, 500x576px
>>952543

>hes so poor he doesn't buy real estate with cash
>>
>>953255
No. Obviously I take the standard deduction because we don't make enough dough to warrant itemizing.
>>
>>953288
I have just enough. So yeah. Poor and Happy is a real thing.
>>
>>952543
Yes goy keep renting my shack for $3500 dollars a month. You don't want to own that is for suckers.
>>
>>954085
I do own. Problem is that it's worth less now that what I paid. If I put 30,000 into inprovements, then I can get what I paid, bit then I won't have that 30,000 for a down payment on moving where I want to. So, I'm stuck in town till I get a better job, or the market changes drastically in my favor. I wish I was renting. Then I could just say fock it and go.
>>
>>954133
If it is worth less get it reevaluated to lower your taxes and deduct the loss on your return.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.