[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 21 years old and my dad never taught me how to do anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: confused-man.jpg (217KB, 925x572px) Image search: [Google]
confused-man.jpg
217KB, 925x572px
I'm 21 years old and my dad never taught me how to do anything outdoors and build things for myself. I've been raised by a single mom that lived in its own misery and lived in flat all my life.

However, I do have a dream of building a house before I hit my 30s and have a garden/farm outside.

Can anyone give me some insight to where should I even begin, as I said, both of my parents taught me nothing about life or being a man in general. I did pretty damn good on my own and digested a lot of their depression/anger, but it's time to move on my own and plan life out.

I have no idea about welding/being a plumber/working with wood and making things out for myself/electricity,.. The only thing I know and am pretty good at is pretty much cooking/chores/cleaning,.. Things that normally women do.

How do I make a plan to see how much will building a house/land cost me, learn about gardening, maintainance of house, etc.. I don't know how to put specific question, but I hope you understand my situation.

I'm currently a student and don't really have much money, but I want to plan this shit out to perfection and have a goal to strive for.
>>
Self Bump.
>>
>>949118
I had compassion for your poor me story, until you waited _5_ minutes to bump.
>>
>>949120
Saw the thread was on the bottom of catalog and didn't want it to die out. But I realized now that I have filtered the most replied threads to show first and the less on bottom, so yeah, it was not on purpuse.

Carry on..
>>
>>949115
A father's job is to transfer knowledge of his failures and successes to his son so that he may grow into an even better man than he. I guess your case, you just need to give it a try and see what shakes out. You're probably not going to get it right the first time. Keep a safety net so when you fuck up you don't ruin yourself and try try again.

Make smaller and more direct short-medium term goals and work from there. You should also strive to surround yourself with similarly dedicated people, the more important they become to you the more you don't want them to think you're an asshole. This will encourage you to achieve.

Go now, do something valuable with your time.
>>
Work and learn. Read up about home electrical. Save up, buy basic tools, start small wiring lamps and fixtures, replacing outlets and such. Hell I'm sure the outlets where you live now could use an update. They're cheap and easy to replace.

Next step, find a construction site, residential or light commercial. Ask around for the guy in charge, bust your ass for a day or two, but gravitate to the electricians if they're on site. It may take a few tries.

Always be learning and THINKING while you're sweating and slaving, the rest will come.
>>
>>949115
as soeone who does construction, plumbing, and electrical
go get a job, and hire someone to do it,

you dont want to build your own house having it be the first job you ever do ,
if youre planning on building the house yourself start reading today , on legalities what the best way is etc

also have fun with pipes leaking , as its not the easiest thing to learn

at least save up and hire someone to do the fucking electrical so you dont shock and kill yourself, or burn your house down
electrical isnt something to fuck with
>>
>>949131
I have smaller and short-medium term goals of course, but I've come so far with everything that I have some spare time to plan out some bigger things I'd like to have once also.

I'm friends with some very good successful people and they respect me a lot, which is weird since I can be full of anxieties, but w/e.

>>949132
Thanks man, solid advice. I'm not afraid to go and ask questions and get my hands dirty.

>>949137
I'm a student, I work in manufacturing shitty job 6x per week. Pay is good, but it's brain killing job, doing 8 hours of same shit.

Also solid advice, thanks! Know few guys that are electricians.
>>
>>949142
have an actual electrician do the majority of it, ive been working this type of job for 7 almost 8 years and i still usually go to someone who works as a full tie electrician instead of doing it myself
i know guys who have done it 40 years and still have full time electricians come in for each job
i and any people wont risk burning down a job that took months, or more of our time
learn general framing etc, do it right , make sure you follow codes etc if youre going to have it inspected
>>
Building a house won't lead to fulfillment OP. By all means, find a goal and hobbies you enjoy. If you want to learn about carpentry or electrical work or something because it interests you, then great. But "building a house" isn't going to fill whatever void you're noticing or make you feel any more like a man.

Just get a respectable job that's suitable for you and work on being the kind of person you respect. If you respect people who waste their youth chasing ridiculous dreams in order to demonstrate their worth to themselves then I have bad news.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.