[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I kinda wanna try backpacking. Does anybody have a list of recommended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 2822-4328.jpg (171KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2822-4328.jpg
171KB, 1000x1000px
I kinda wanna try backpacking. Does anybody have a list of recommended stuff to bring? I already have a fuckhuge backpack, pic related.
>>
>>948786
That's a pretty autistic pack desu.
>>
>>948786
First of all you need fuel. Cheetos and moutain dew are tons of calories per weight.

Next you need a huge knife. I would recomend a bear gryls, but some people take kabars or even katanas. Pretty much just take the largest you can carry.

After that you need shelter and warmth. The weekend warriors take heavy ass tents and sleeping bags, but me? I take a treated woolen cloak since it can do both.

After that, everything else is gravy. Like chairs, or pots and pans to make more elaborate meals
>>
>>948791
It only cost me 6 years of my life.
>>
>>948793
That think looks shittier than the day packs we got issued. And if u were in for 6 years, what kind of shit units where you in that you never got a better pack no sign from supply? And if your pack was that shitty and had that bad of supply, why didn't you just buy a better pack?
>>
>>948801
Closing in on 7 years and ETS now, actually.
I don't even know why they issued us these big-ass things since we weren't a "combat' unit or anything. I can fit an insane amount of shit in it, though.
>>
>>948793
Oh please you can buy that shit from Amazon. I actually bought mine in Benning px in coyote when the brand was known as bug out gear.
>>
>>948822
Okay. Mine was issued to me, though. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to put it in since I have a job that doesn't require them to teach me how to go camping in shitty places.
>>
File: 4X8KqYe.jpg (711KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
4X8KqYe.jpg
711KB, 2448x3264px
How about get a real backpacking bag. Army rucks are absolute shit tier compared to civilian stuff.
t.former light infantry
>>
File: v8Lgnzt.png (311KB, 435x664px) Image search: [Google]
v8Lgnzt.png
311KB, 435x664px
>>948828
I was also issued one of these, but it's downright tiny in comparison.
>>
>>948856
I would take the Kelty, you don't need a huge back for backpacking. In fact, you're better off with less shit thus a smaller bag. Here's a simple list of what most people bring http://www.backpacking.net/27-pound.html
You really need a sleeping bag, some extra clothes, and food. You could use a bivy bag, hammock, or tent for sleeping, it just depends on preference.
>>
>>948878
The prices on that list are hilariously far off in some cases, but that's the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks.
>>
>>948893
I'm retarded. Those are weights.
>>
>>948856
>>948878
Kelty for sure. 50L is more than enough room to pack all the essentials for backpacking. You"ll find yourself carrying extra unnecessary shit just to fill up the space if you go much bigger than 60L. My pack is 44L and its plenty enough space for backpacking.
>>
>>948935
I'll most likely expand it to a BoB, though, but I guess I can always switch backpacks then.
>>
>>948955
>>948935 here again. Use the giant tacticool backpack for the bug out bag. Kelty for backpacking.
>>
I can't believe it's possible to be in any country tries military, no matter what your job, and not at least have a vague idea what to pack.
>>
>>948791
Why do people always shit on camo gear? I'd prefer not carrying around a faggot lime green pack everyone can see from a mile away
>>
>>949055
You have to keep in mind that most of the autists in this board use the Flextrek Whipsnake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
>>949055
Unless you're active in the armed services camo is for 14 year olds and adults wanting to play commando. The real reason people tend to prefer "faggot lime green" backpacking packs is that they are designed better for backpacking. They are lighter and you don't need velcro,and MOLLE attachments. The materials and construction used on tacticool packs leads to a very heavy pack. Military packs also are less comfortable than backpacking packs. About the only thing going for them is they are cheaper than a proper pack.
>>
Well OP, welcome to the great /out/doors. I'll make a short list of things you'll want backpacking. First off though, you'll want to do a shakedown run. Pack up all your stuff and camp in your yard, or just hike a very short distance and set up camp. This will give you a test, so you can figure how to set stuff up, and what does and does not work.

You really need 3 things. Food, water, and shelter.

The basics:
-Small lightweight tent
-Sleeping pad
-Sleeping bag

Food water and cooking:
-Dehydrated meals (like mountain house brand)
-Small stove and fuel (look at etekcity brand on amazon, $10 and works fine)
-Stanley Cook pot (to boil water in)
-Sawyer mini water filter (you have to filter all water when backpacking)

Misc:
-Bug spray (depends on time of year)
Knife, any small knife works. Don't buy into the bullshit about needing an expensive knife, you dont.
-Folding saw if you want to process wood for a fire
-Bic lighter and/or fire starter
-flashlight and head lamp (I bring both)
Toilet paper (for obvious reasons)
-Small basic first aid kit
Compass and map of the area

That's the basics for a beginner. I started out with similar stuff (except I use a hammock). Years later I've slowly upgraded everything.
>>
>>948828
>t.former light infantry

Just curious, is heavy infantry the unit for the fatties? Is there a heavy infantry?
>>
>>949210
Not always cheaper, since the Tacticool craze started.

>>948786
Military bags have their place and if you pack properly, they're not terribly uncomfortable. If you can stand the weight penalty, they're great for grab and go weekend with the buddies, drinking and goofing around the fire type of bag. Load it up with some gear and old clothes and leave it in the back of the car or by the door kind thing. They can handle that kind of abuse.

For serious living from a pack, I agree though, go for a proper backpacking pack. The makers have been catching on, and you can find them in subdued, earth tone and even camo now.

Don't get me wrong, I love my military bags, but when you have to haul your entire life around with you, you'll praise every ounce of weight savings, they can handle quite a bit of abuse in their own right and those "faggoty bright colors" will come in handy if your off in the woods with a blown knee and somebody has to come find your ass... Personal experience, its not fun spending four days stuck in a swamp unable to walk more than 15 feet at a time from the pain, no matter how much gear you've got.
>>
>>949293
Heavy infantry would be mechanized infantry. They sure as hell aren't fatties and uphold the same standards across Army infantry. The difference is that they aren't expected to ruck march 30 miles a day and they take Bradleys and Strikers everywhere.
>>
>>949210
What is stealth camping?
>>
>>949462
Stealth camping is camping off the beaten path. i.e. not in camp sites or around other people.
>>
File: 1486646136310.png (97KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1486646136310.png
97KB, 500x522px
I'm not very /out/, I'm more a /v/irgin but I want to get out more and got a bigger backpack some time ago.

Problem is, although I love this pack the straps are more strained on the inner part than the outside. Like when I put it on I feel like I'm only using the inner part of the straps while the other side are practically in the fucking air.

What do?
>>
>>951278
>What do?
Go to outdoor retail store. Find ones on the rack that are the size (capacity and size (fit)) your looking for. Ask clerk to try different packs on with a load in them. Find one you like & buy. Sell old ill-fitting pack after you find one that's comfortable.
>>
>>951306
Sound advice.
>>
>>949061
what really gets me was the implication that the undulation is intentional, and a feature instead of an emergent property of it. I spit some of my drink btw
>>
>>949054
Most of the military does not consist of infantry or even combat troops.
Some intelligence or logistics office spawn is not going to know shit about anything non office like.

>>949055
To add to the wise words of >>949210 bright colors are useful in case of an emergency. especially if you go off trail. You want to maximize the chances of being found, and as SAR often uses helicopters, stealth is your enemy.
>>
>>952090
I love the fact that there are at least 2 sigint morons here that really beleive that the hilltop base rhey spent 2 weeks at wqs roughing it. And nit only that, thwy brag qbout the fact they qre marines.

I qm a fat 40 yr old drunk and i can still do 3chin ups.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8KB, 195x259px
Woot has the kelty redwing on sale today only, great price for a nice pack, I have one.
>>
>>952234
Are you insinuating I said I was in the Marines? I was not.
>>
How can I tell if my pack is too heavy for a hike?
>>
>>953120
The pack its self? or the load that it carries?
>>
>>953123
The load.
>>
>>953123
I suppose if it's uncomfortable. That would be one way. You shouldn't need much for a hike. I'd say if it's more than 12 lbs you're doing something wrong & bringing too much. For hiking all you really need is enough clothing for the temperatures, a rain jacket, water & snacks.
>>
>>953128
Above post intended 4 u not me. Sry
>>
>>952306
No. I was referencing a avery specific convo i had on this board with a marine sigint moron that really and truly beleived he was roughing it up on that hilltop. When i was fthe guy in the valley hiking 10 miles a day with a 90 pound ruck waiting to get ambushed.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.