[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to go spend 60 days by myself in deep Fiordland (pic related)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: images (1).png (4KB, 193x262px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).png
4KB, 193x262px
About to go spend 60 days by myself in deep Fiordland (pic related)

My survival kit is basically:

>several drink bottles (lots of clean rivers/creaks)
>a shitty folding knife
>waterproof sleeping bag with cover thing (dunno if they have a name?). Area is wet as fuck
>a small gas cooker + lighter/matches
>PSE Madfish bow + arrows
>some rope, dunno why I'd need it tho
>some instant noodles/chocolate to last me a week in case I start starving
>camera+solarcharger for picture taking

Mainly going to be hunting fish since all our birds down here are protected. We also have deer/pigs which I'll go for if I run into any, got proper permits just in case.

Never been on /out/ desu but figured you guys would be worth asking for advice. Never gone innawoods before, only hiking via tramping huts. Anything I should add to my kit before I leave?
>>
>>947854
A map and compass so that you know for sure which way to hike to salvation once you run out of noodles and start to starve.
>>
>>947855
Oh yeah forgot to mention, definitely have a map and compass lol.
>>
>>947854
Boil the hell out of everything, you don't want to have worms sneaking around in your intestinals.
>>
>>947854
Fiordland with just a waterproof sleeping bag and a bivy bag ? You'll be soaked by day three. Bring at least one proper tarp or you'll be home by the end of the first week.
>>
File: IMG_20131202_225346.jpg (460KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131202_225346.jpg
460KB, 1080x1920px
>>947854
>never gone innawoods before
>wants to go for 60 days
No m8. Cut the length right down, unless you want to live off wetas. Make it 1 week tops
>>
>>947854
I look forward to hearing about you in the news
>>
>>947854
This must be bait.

Never been /out/ before, now expect to live off the land for 60 days.
>>
>>947961
>>947919

You literally can't read do you?
>>
>>948182
So are you implying that
>hiking via tramping huts
and
>never been innawoods before
aren't contradictory?
imo being innawoods means sleeping outdoors in a tent or whatever. That means that this hiking stuff can't have been serious if it doesn't constitute being innawoods.

If i'm wrong here then learn to form sentences, I don't care enough to try to guess exactly what you mean in your cryptic post and i'll just go off what's clear, i.e. >I've never been innawoods and I want to go out for 60 days
>>
>>947854

I am from New Zealand and think you are full of shit OP.
>>
>>948219
Why? I live in Te Anau and have been hiking/camping all my life. Just never gone solo and without food to last me the entire time. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch desu. Hunting with a fishing bow is easy down here, rivers are full of fish and see through.

Only thing I'm genuinely concerned about is the rain. I think anon is right that only taking a waterproof sleeping bag is too risky, so I'll take a shitty tent as well.
>>
>>948220
What kind of fish do you usually get in the rivers?
>>
>>948220

If you live in Te Anau and think that list even comes close to sufficing you may aswell activate your epirb now... oh wait you dont have one.
>>
>>948222
Brown and rainbow trout are very common and get pretty large. We also have native eels, but obviously it's kinda hard to catch them bow fishing.

>>948224
Mate you sound like a fucking jaffa
>>
>>948220
If you're really from Te Anau you should be familiar with Fiordland and realise what a silly idea your proposal is.
>>
For feck's sake please bring a tarp. Makes me cold just thinking about you wet and shivering in a bivvy bag.
I bet anything OP will end up spending all this time in a hut.
>>
File: IMG_1301.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1301.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>947854
I spend 10 days in remote fiordland (fly in) every april for the roar.
>Never been /out/ only stayed in huts
you will die and never be found, fiordland is fucking gnarly

>>947906
I have never boiled water in fiordland and have never been sick

>>948220
>waterproof sleeping bag
I have a mean as 4 season alpine tent and everything is always wet after 10 days, a waterproof sleeping bag(?) even with a bivvy will do sweet fuck all to keep you dry.

there is no way you are from te anau. if you were you would know that this plan is retarded. If you are from te anau go and take a pic of The Moose right now.
>>
>>947918
This. A bivy bag should only be considered as "extra" waterproofing. You need a tent or a tarp - optionally with a ground tarp as well
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.