[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi, /fit/ browser coming to /out/ for a question about basic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12

File: redfruitsmokingglassesearring.jpg (186KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
redfruitsmokingglassesearring.jpg
186KB, 1280x853px
hi, /fit/ browser coming to /out/ for a question about basic camping item lists.

from a thread or two ive read here it seems that if you want more of a challenge camping/hiking wise you shorten the item list to a couple universally useful tools like a portable hoe or a knife.

i'd like to start organizing camping trips with my dad, whos pretty out of shape. i lift and run occasionally and have been car camping with my dad a couple times.

what kind of tools are most necessary and what activities fill up your time when you camp?

i'd like to bring less and less every trip and fill the day with creating the necessary tools and shelter that we didn't bring along
>>
This doesn't taste like apples btw
>>
Go away hedonist
>>
File: 1486690009102.png (23KB, 587x466px) Image search: [Google]
1486690009102.png
23KB, 587x466px
>>947867
>there's something wrong with hedonism
Unless you're directly affecting someone negatively, hedonism is cool.
>>
>>947874
Hating hedonists is my way of hedonism

What now bitch?
>>
File: 56543643535435.png (259KB, 854x868px) Image search: [Google]
56543643535435.png
259KB, 854x868px
>>947888
You win, for the sake of hedonism
>>
>>947891
My hedonism feels your display of hedonism very deeply, I respect your hedonism as well for the sake of hedonism.
>>
>>947893
Glad that we are both glad too agree.
>>
File: 1475185924947.jpg (731KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475185924947.jpg
731KB, 1920x1080px
>>947845
Hey there /fit/ friend

What you're talking about with building tools is called Bushcraft. It's fun and makes you feel useful. At first you'll just be making things you already have (like fashioning wooden tent pegs, even though you already brought some because you're not a dummy), but eventually I guess people become reliant on their bushcraft skills and bring nothing they can't make.

Activities with someone who's really out of shape is tricky, because there's not that much to do that's not at least partly physical.
Set up camp, hike a long trail to a nice summit or vista, hike back, make dinner, enjoy fire, go to sleep.

Pic related is /out/'s backpacking list. It all works for car camping too, but with a car you can bring more shit

http://gizmodo.com/so-you-want-to-go-camping-for-the-very-first-time-1582236909
http://gizmodo.com/a-basic-guide-to-cheap-outdoors-gear-for-broke-adventur-1682102787
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.fi/2013/10/beginners-guide-to-affordable-bushcraft.html
>>
>>947901
There is usually tons of arguable things in this kind of chart but not in this one. Good job.
>>
File: 1480806278085.jpg (10KB, 200x248px) Image search: [Google]
1480806278085.jpg
10KB, 200x248px
>>947845
/k/ommando here, try this.
>>
File: 20161224_154610.jpg (995KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161224_154610.jpg
995KB, 2560x1536px
>>947920
I agree with you and approve this very basic infographic.

Which is rare, I usually shitpost HARD on /out/ infographics!

ADD:
>AR FITEEN
>>
>>947845
That image is so stupid, you use apples to smoke if you don't have paper or a real pipe.
>>
File: 1469573173346.jpg (78KB, 640x334px) Image search: [Google]
1469573173346.jpg
78KB, 640x334px
>>948337
>dat pic
>>
>>947874
>theoretical hedonism
"we practice self-discipline to maintain moderation"
>applied hedonism
"I have no self-control to begin with and my concept of moderation contextually changes the more degenerate I become"

get the fuck outta here
>>
>>947901
This is probably the best /out/ infographic I've seen. I think the author is confusing Methanol for Isopropyl (I use Eth/Meth combo and have no issues) Otherwise, just way to heavy for me, personally. Probably a really great starting point for most people.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n0wyibYDZQ1qlkly8.jpg (172KB, 500x747px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n0wyibYDZQ1qlkly8.jpg
172KB, 500x747px
>>949785
Yeah it's a good one. The guy who made it did like 4 versions by the time I stopped reading the thread anyway. Thought i'd save it, as god DAMN we get a lot of "what to bring camping" threads. And god DAMN there's a lot of bullshit nonsense lists out there
>28 camping hacks that are borderline genius!
>Use empty tic-tac containers to bring spices!
>mfw
>>
>>949836
Definitely. I think I'll save it too and just add an addendum for UL'ists so it's clear that there's a range and that there isn't a 'one size fits all' gearout.
>>
>>947845
the vaseline//cotton ball fire starters are pretty fucking clutch. you can watch a youtube video on how to make them. i bring em.

but i think you guys missed his core question
>what activities fill up your time when you camp?

the less you bring the less time you have for activities because you are working to set up camp// find supplies (i.e. if you dont have food you have to fish, if you dont bring a "camping chair" you gotta find that perfect log or rock). but if have the quick pop tent, the fire starters, the stoves, and all that jazz, a deck of cards goes a long fucking way.

i always tell people bring more than you think you need and then every time figure out what you didnt use (or didnt have to use) and take that out.

also if you live in bear country-- hang your fucking food from a tree.
>>
>>950196
>the less you bring the less time you have
I basically carry a bedroll, takes 2 seconds to unclip from my bag and roll out.

As far as 'activities' go, I guess I don't understand the question. If I'm not catching or cooking fish, I'm hiking to the next place that I can catch and cook fish.
>>
>>947845
you've gone car camping, that's good. you get a general base line of what you should be taking with you, plus car camping is fun af.

as a hiker, not bringing a gun or bow or fishing equipment, hike through camping gear is mostly determined by weight. the less weight I can take the better. this usually forces me to find new equipment that will serve multiple functions.

The activities that take up most my time in camp is setup, food prep, waste plan, and gear maintenance. my camp time is not lots of fun, mostly the hike is fun or setting up camp and hiking to a relaxing view. I almost never build a fire, I bring dehydrated foods or dry foods with me.

you should bring a good backpack, i use Gregory Packs, i think they're awesome. bring a knife or gun so you -feel- safe, you'll never use them for self defense, a knife is smarter because it's also a tool. in the summer bring bug spray. talk a lot on your hike. bring a warm sleeping bag, get a good tent or you'll hate life, 2 person or 3 person. bring a first aid kit, they're sold at Dick's REI and BassPS. bring a hat and an extra pair of thick socks. also bring a small-med sized towel, towels are very versatile, they are pillows, blankets, bandage, so much stuff, can be bought a general dollar stores everywhere.

as for food, bring stuff that can be eaten cold. canned chef boyardee ravioli is amazing cold, better than served hot. if you want hot meals don't feel bad bringing camping stove. I use a Coleman Triton Propane Stove, it's huge and I have no problems on 2-4 day hikes. Bring lots of water or a way to get clean water. bring more water than food.

have a plan, a backup plan, and a back up to the back up plan. bring some booze too, not a lot.
>>
>>950233
shoot, i forgot lights. bring 2 headlamps.
>>
>>950233
>Do this. Do that. You should.
Just because something works for you doesn't mean that's what everyone else should do.
>>
>>950254
nigga you serious?

get the fuck out of here. Do that!
>>
>>947845
>/fit/
>bring less and less

somehow these don't seem to be compatible with the whole /lift/ modus operandi.
>>
>>950200
>As far as 'activities' go, I guess I don't understand the question. If I'm not catching or cooking fish, I'm hiking to the next place that I can catch and cook fish.

what do you cook in if you only bring a bed roll

also you kind of proved my point-- you dont bring food so you spend your time focusing on getting. if you brought food and didnt have to fish you would have more time to kill.
>>
>>950233
>canned chef boyardee ravioli is amazing cold

Matt is that you? if not, dinty moore beef stew satisfies cold.
>>
>>950982
>Matt is that you?
nope
>dinty moore beef stew
gunna look into this thanks
>>
File: midget_woman.jpg~original.jpg (57KB, 446x536px) Image search: [Google]
midget_woman.jpg~original.jpg
57KB, 446x536px
>>947845
>a couple universally useful tools like a portable hoe or a knife.
>>
>>950254
Better than confusing the guy with 100 different suggestions.
Same goes with gear. You have to go try stuff out to figure out what are the options, what do they really mean and what you like.

Following in the footsteps of others is a good way to avoid major fuck ups.

My routine is very different, I make a fire when time/humidity/location and resources allow, nearly every time.
I try to walk over to a lake or a stream if possible and go in, yes even if freezing temps.
I almost never go to sleep without cooking, and making some tea. Only exceptions were due to exhaustion or lack of time.

I don't take guns while hiking.

Water is very route dependent and should be researched in advance. Are there water sources, how likely they are to be dry? How likely they are be safe to drink, and what gear is needed to purify.
>>
>>951182
kek
>>
bringing a "Classic" novel that's shortish but not an easy read. I've taken the prince, the Iliad, all quiet on the western front and the epic of Gilgamesh. if you have enough time to read you should also take extra time contemplating.
>>
File: 1431145067166.gif (2MB, 352x326px) Image search: [Google]
1431145067166.gif
2MB, 352x326px
>>948337
fug
>>
File: tarpology.jpg (121KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
tarpology.jpg
121KB, 450x600px
>>947901
>>947920
>>947937
>>949836

Thanks, my dudes. I made it for you sick fucks.

>>949785

Nope, not at all. The best you can use in a Trangia stove is ethanol, which is why they recommend it. Ethanol is the drinkable kind, think Spiritus in Poland or Everclear in the US.

Around here they add some shit so you can*t drink it, then the booze tax doesn't apply and the stuff is 2 Euros per litre.

If you have no issue, fine, but Methanol burns hotter and has in my experience a bit of soot.

I have all the gear and can say that it's ok. Not the lightes or smalles or best, but mid level tier.

>>950192

Do it.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.