[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

question to the bushcraft bros. should I bring a 1" hex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 44

question to the bushcraft bros.

should I bring a 1" hex cold chisel or a 1" mason chisel with me to baton wood?

I'm thinking that I wouldn't have to put my knife through unnecessary stress if were to use something that was similar to a splitting maul. It seems small enough to fit in my pack and weighs a little over 1 pound.

have any of you guys tried this before? these chisels cost about 3 dollars. pic is a mason chisel.
>>
these are cold chisels.

bushcraft yeah?
>>
Bit heavy if you're a gram weenie but yeah that shit'll make short work any thick, heavy, cleanly sawed stumps and logs you find out there and need to split into wedges.
>>
>>947166
why would anyone baton with a $50-$200 knife then?
>>
>>947164
what do you plan to batton it with? usually its a thick branch right? now you've got to bring some kind of hammer
>>
>>947169
you can still baton the chisel with wood, that hasn't changed.
>>
>>947168
>why would anyone baton with a $50-$200 knife then?
I have no idea! If one must baton (for some reason) your chisel solution is far better IMHO. I just reckon it's gonna be heavier'n horsecocks and still pointless as bunnycunts.
>>
>>947171
making kindling is pointless? and it weighs about 1 pound, it's not going to break your back from the load. you can put it your damn pocket for Christ's sake.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x327px
>>947175
Nah it's not about the chisel, the chisel's a good solution and I like it. It's actually using the right tool for the jerb. I just have never in my life needed to baton, seen someone who needed to baton, or been convinced that batonners ever actually need to baton either. Any wilderness situation that has wood at all has shitloads of kindling about. Once you get some hot coals you just roast full logs on it. No batonning needed.

Also, the only concern with the chisel I guess is that it's a 1-trick pony. You could just bring a hatchet that can both chop and split...
>>
>>947180
thanks bro. i'm going to buy one tomorrow and see if it works. if it does i'll never try it with a knife again.

I got the idea today watching some video of a canadian using a small wood wedge to split logs.
>>
>>947182
Good luck bruv. Report back with photos. If it works it might just turn all the baton shitposting on its head!
>>
>>947164
>>947165
cold chisel looks superior to mason chisel because of its gradually broadening thickness, as opposed to the concave faces of the mason chisel

$0.02
>>
File: IMG_5041.jpg (6KB, 114x108px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5041.jpg
6KB, 114x108px
This is literally a bad hatchet head you retards.
>>
>>947205
no, it's literally a cold chisel. a variation of a tool that's over 10,000 years old.

not to mention small and relatively light weight. It's designed to split things apart with little effort. you could use a rock or a big stick to push it through and split a log.
>>
The rule with chisels is to always use one that's bigger than the workpiece.

If you try to use a tiny thing like >>947165
to split down the middle of a log, all you're going to do is get it stuck in there.
>>
>>947164
dude just get a hatchet
>>
>>947212
>batonning with a hatchet

Are you tarded? That sounds just stupid.
>>
>>947164
chisels are not right to baton wood with neger, bring a froe!
>>
>>947231
It actually works pretty well if you want to have a finer control over the splitting.
>>
>>947231
you have never split firewood in your life have you?
fucking autistic basement dwellers
>>
>>947165
>>947164
Yes, those could work, but a "froe" is the proper tool. You only need to bring the froe head and source a limb handle on site. The advantage of the froe is that it can be levered to aid in splitting and won't get stuck.
>>
>>947270
if you people make the froe into a new bushcraft meme you deserve to be nuked
>>
>>947273
Everything related to bushcraft is a meme.
>>
>>947273
Using a froe while out is traditional.

Axe
Knife
Froe
Saw

Just because your father didn't teach you correctly as a child doesn't mean it isn't true.
>>
>>947268
Not with a motherfucking hatchet, faggot.

I use a splitting maul to split firewood, you autistic batonning fagotronic retard.

Goddamn city fuck posers.
>>
>>947277
You and your post are memes.

Checkmate meme.
>>
>>947278

>tfw give me a basic knife and i could process wood more efficiently and faster than you with all your bullshit knick knacks
>>
>>947319
bullshit! no knife beats a good hatchet.
>>
File: on the internet.webm (1MB, 726x504px) Image search: [Google]
on the internet.webm
1MB, 726x504px
>>947319
>>
>>947164
>>
>>947327
This.

fucking christ. Why do bushcrafters insist on batoning things when it requires clean cut wood of just the appropriate size? I have never had a problem- even in heavy traffic parks on the east coast- finding deadfall that's perfect for a fire.
>>
>>947355
because bushcrafters especially on this board are daydreaming retards
>>
>>947355
>tfw local parks make it "illegal" to source deadfall and instead source it themselves to sell it to campers

I'm really glad I go to the wilderness management areas or my own property instead when I camp and need a fire for something.
>>
File: Axe-batoning.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Axe-batoning.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>947319
If you have your axe with you, there's no reason to ever baton your knife when you can baton your axe.
>>
>>947543
no according to this genius >>947231
batonning an axe is retarded but batoning a knife is perfectly ok
>>
>>947366
Well thats the fucking point, moron. Go to a national forest and cut down a fucking tree. Parks are PARKS.
>>
>>947558
Why cut a tree down? I use deadfall.
>>
>>947562
Aka mulch. Youknow anything about soil?

Yea dont cut down that tree, they live forever, right?

Deadfall has a purpose, especially in parks. You do realize that the wood you buy was once a living tree too? Oh shit, i hope i don't need to explain where hamburgers come from.

Deadfall is fertilizer. Unless you want parks people roping off sections of parks for revitilazation, leave it. Its a fucking park.
>>
File: BATONNY.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
BATONNY.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>947558
>cut down a fucking tree.
and then what? wait for +1 years for it to dry? then what anon? do we dust of the ol' saw again and make nice lil' sections? THEN do we get to use our knife to batonny chop chop the wood? OH BOY I'M SO EXCITED IMMA CUM IN MY PANTS.
>>
>>947568
omg you are so obnoxious pls get out of here go back to your basement and play dwarf fortress
>>
>>947567
I think you missed the part where the parks pick up the deadfall and sell it to the campers. Simply grabbing it yourself is considered stealing.
>>
>>947327
The more this is posted the more poignant it becomes.
>>
>>947571
no no anon, please do tell us how we get to batonny chop chop our wood? Are the kindly wood elves going around and section cutting all the trees that we fell in the woods? How are we all supposed to keep track of who's trees are whos if we're all goin out in the woods n cuttin' down trees? An' am I supposed to bring an ax to split the wood into more managable bits for MY BATONNY CHOP CHOP KNIFE BUSHYCRAFT TIME?? I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT.
>>
>>947574
you are embarrassing yourself, go to sleep
>>
>>947577
ANSWER THE QUESTION ANON.
>>
Pic related is a good solution. Can bang it in with the back of a hatchet.
>>
File: Mom don't look.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Mom don't look.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>947577
>>947571
>>
>>947582

That dude just needs a hatchet.
>>
>>947582
OMG THAT LOOKS LIKE FUN I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT. BATONNY CHOPPY CHOP
>>
>>947578
i don't really understand what you want m8
>>
File: Batonning for Dummies.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batonning for Dummies.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>947583
>>947585
>>
>>947579
Only in UL Ti. Else total boat anchor, thus tardable garbage.
>>
>>947164
You will still have to find commercial firewood in the forest.
>>
>>947586
you could read the questions posed to you O GREAT BUSHKEKER, but I'll state them here so you don't get confused.

you said to cut down trees in the name of making fire.

-what about needing to dry the wood?
-what about needing to cut the wood into sections?
-what about splitting the wood into sections you can actually use your FUCKING KNIFE TO BATONNY CHOP?

until then I'll be enjoying these wonderful webms some great anon is posting.
>>
>>947604
*bushKEKer, cucker.
>>
>>947231
Someone, screencap it and make it a banner.
>>
>>947604
Why are people chopping wood into smaller parts when they can collect wood the size they want anyway?
>>
>>947612
dunno anon. that's why I asking captain BUSHKEK why.

>>947558
>>
>>947616
I think the deal with batoning is the same than with firesteel.

It's stupid because there is better alternative, but it feel like you are crafting something.
>>
>>947619
>>
>>947604
I'm waiting anon. I've got my lil' bushcraft ax n' batonny knife all ready an' I'm jest watin' for you to answer me : )
>>
>>947604
i didn't say any of that shit that was another anon but you are an obnoxious idiot
and i actually think batoning is pretty stupid
>>
File: tmp_26597-tipping396497859.gif (997KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26597-tipping396497859.gif
997KB, 500x213px
>building fire
>Splitting rounds
What the hell op?
Do you ebin /out/

If you're using fuel wood for fire, you need to be in burro mode.
>>
>>947625
I'd argue that fuckers wandering into the woods to smack a tree with their ax for 20 minutes until they get tired and bored and leave is more obnoxious.
>>
>>947638
Why would anyone do that?
>>
>>947641
because this >>947558
>>947604
>>
>>947643
Use a rocket stove and some twigs.
>>
>>947607
>do this for me, do this for me
>someone needs to be responsible for fulfilling my desires

Fucking Democrats!
>>
>>947578
lol, so mad
>>
Can I put a batonning chisle in my ass whilst /out/?

Would it be best to start batonning it then?
>>
File: 1407977592825.jpg (27KB, 235x223px) Image search: [Google]
1407977592825.jpg
27KB, 235x223px
>>947661
>>
>>947647
Dakota fire hole and twigs, even. Works good enough for me.
>>
>>947604
>GIVE ME A REASON THAT OUTRULES THE LOGIC I HAVE IN MY HEAD THAT TELLS ME YOUR REASON IS STUPID REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU SAY BATONNY CHOP CHOP I'M BETTER THAN YOU

Not the guy you're arguing with, but what someone else does is their choice. Grow up. That kind of anger is going to give you a heart attack.
>>
>>947858
he doesn't even know who he is arguing with, he's blinded by rage
>>
>>947877
Oh, , I had to go back and read his arguments more than once before I finally replied. Naw, he has no idea who he's arguing with or what he's really even upset about. At first I thought it was a clever troll, then a few replies in I realized how angry and passionate he was. It's almost beautiful... then it's really sad. Like an autistic kids ballon string breaking in a strong gust of wind and sweeping it away at a beach.
>>
>>947858
>all caps reply
>but ur the angry one

kek sure thing, kid.
>>
>>947946
z-zed?
>>
>>947858
>>947908
no, FUCK YOU. If you half-drunk idiots could understand ideas that take more than a three words to explain you'd be on the same page as me. Either that or you ARE that fucker and you've realized you're wrong and decided to play the game of "I didn't really care that much, I was trolling anyways, whatever".

All I want to know is how cutting down a tree is going to be useful for a campfire the very same day.
>>
>>947998
by burning the wood? even green wood burns when you have a hot enough fire, you know
>>
>>948025
But if you've got enough fuel to build a hot enough fire to burn green wood, YOU DONT NEES TO PACK AXES,MAULS, SLEDGES CHAINSAWS, LOG CHAINS AND CAT D6.

Fuck me. I still wish "Bushcraft" meant knowing the way around a pussy.
>>
>>948025
>>948044
exactly anon, exactly. Captain bushcraft said that any wood found on the ground wouldn't be good to burn or to put it in his words "mulch". So that means you'd have to bring a bunch of fuel along with you to make the initial fire that's hot enough to burn that green wood.
>>
i srsly hope they nuke this thread asap
>>
>>948053
They need to. This jackass >>948044 is seriously about to implode over things that people didn't say in made up scenarios he puts "bushcrafters" in to just to prove a point.
>>
>>948052
You do know that hot fires made from things like small sticks, pine straw, leaves and other lighter materials can and will burn exceptionally hot for short periods of time, right? And that if you put a split green log on the middle of that hot fire it can and WILL burn at a slower rate for longer and more manageable heat after the rest of the fire dies down other than the coals and the burning log. Do you do anything at all besides make bonfires in your back yard with your drunk white trash friends? Or are you the minimalist with an alcohol stove in a "no fires ever" park? Either way it's obvious you have limited knowledge of your argument. Most of which you made up on both your argument and theirs.
>>
>>948074
But to add: I'm not against use dead wood for fires. I typically do if I can help it.
>>
>>948072
he's the retard we deserve, but not the one we need
>>
File: tmp_28735-maxresdefault352942075.jpg (158KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_28735-maxresdefault352942075.jpg
158KB, 1280x720px
>>948084
Correct.
You need this, retard.
>>
>>948107
what if i don't want to freeze to death in the winter?
>>
Why do you idiots need to build fires? Scared of the dark?

This whole Bushcraft meme is nothing but a pile of numales trying outgear one another.
>>
>>948110
>Afraid of freezing
>Builds fire.
Lurkmoar, new.
Lurkmoar.
>>
>>948113
you get on my nerves so much you have shortened my life i hate you
>>
File: 20170114_154551.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170114_154551.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>948107
>skate key
Bro.
>>
>>948110
Get some oros wear or wool blankets.
>>
>>948074
OK ya got me. Your infallible logic, knowledge of how fire works, and the fact that you called me white trash have me CONVINCED. Now everytime I go out in the woods i'mma cut a fucking tree down. Hell, why not FIVE since it's the easiest shit to do. Then I'mma battonn the ever-living shit out of that green wood because we all know that when you cut a tree down it just magically turns into beautiful rounds of exactly battonning worthy length. Yep. Yessir. It'll be GREAT. Will ya tell me what else I'm so woefully ignorant of? Huh? Can ya do that for me?
>>
>>948134
why do you insist so much on the neatly cut rounds?
>>
>>947327
/out/ need this image on standby at all times
>>
>>948134
You're a putz. Bring a little pruning saw or frame saw, and you'll realize that yes, it is very easy to fell a small tree and make nice rounds (not that nice rounds are necessary anyways). Then you can feel free to split them how you want, even by batonning if that really tickles your fancy.
>>
File: 177793766.jpg (161KB, 338x506px) Image search: [Google]
177793766.jpg
161KB, 338x506px
A light hatchet can do any work a firebuilding needs, but now I got me some chink woodstoves and twigs is all I need really. In very cold weather, where you need to build a fire to get some warmth, dry deadfall is usually weak enough to be split by stomping on it, so why even bring a hatchet when all you need is your heel.
>>
>>948169
stomping on it srsly?
>>
>>948176
Have you never put a small piece of wood against a rock at one end and the ground at the other then stepped on the unspported part in the middle?
>>
>>947589
Can some one tell me the brand and model name of this knife?
>>
>>948176
Works for trees with leaves (don't know the word for non-evergreen? tree type), soft wood, like alder...
>>
>>948181
>actually built a fire?
Of course he hasn't. He just needs us to circle jerk over his buschkraft toys.
>>
You fucling retards will argue about anything.

I will pepper spray your vagrant asses in a sweatlodge pearldrop.

I can't wait, pepper spray ready, dork fucks!
>>
>>948198
I do stuff like that all the time with hardwoods. I don't have soft woods other than pine here and pine is shit for good fires.
>>
>>947998
Deadfall is fine if it's dry, if it's rainy or wet then standing dead trees are what you chop down, saw and batonny chop chop to get to the dry burny center.
>>
>>948134
I'm glad your assumptions of my statements convince you to do something I never actually said to do in the first place. Please note that I have no interest in cutting down a 30+ year old pine and processing it like a professional logging company using a knife. That was your assumption of my statement. I really hope you don't like a sarcastic douche at your job. You'd be a chore to work with.
>>
>>948405
I really hope you don't act like a sarcastic douche at your job.*
I made a typo
>>
>>947164
STOP BATONING WOOD! If you have to split wood, make a wedge out of other wood.
>>
>>948181
k but you said splitting not breaking
>>
>>948421
Ya I meant breaking.
>>
>>948421
Wasn't me. I was just explaining what the other anon meant.
>>
>>947568
>>947574
>>947858
>>948347
>batonny chop chop
is this seriously something /out/ says to reference batoning? or is this one anon that types comments out like a fucking homo?

i cringe thinking this is how some people talk to their peers.
>>
>>948415
>STOP BATONING WOOD! If you have to split wood, make a wedge out of other wood.
and then what do you do with that wedge? will you by any chance hit it with a wooden maul??
>>
File: IMG_2459.jpg (115KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2459.jpg
115KB, 550x413px
>>947312
In my neck of the woods, all we ever needed was an axe and a spike or wedge. The spikes are great for big ass stumps and larger limbs.
>>
>>949409
nope it's anon that is being an idiot
>>
>>947270
I agree with froe if weight is not an issue or if camping in one spot and improving it is the goal. You can make buckets! Plates! Shingles! Planks! Slats! All joking aside a froe is a valuable tool.
>>
I bring an axe simply because I enjoy using it. The most efficient bushcraft tool is a saw, and even that doesn't need to be used often. The only time I actually use the saw is if I'm cutting large logs for the fire to burn for a long time, or if I'm building something that needs to have somewhat accurate measurements.

Most firewood you can find will be dead and sufficiently dried already, you should be drying out your stockpile near the fire anyways. You can also very easily split logs with a saw, there is literally no excuse for batoning your fucking wood. What really gets me is these people talk about how important their knives are, I've seen idiots break really expensive knives batoning, if you are "bushcrafting" why would you put your most useful tools at risk by using them improperly?
>>
>>949422
You interweb stock image lying motherfucker!

You don't process any firewood, you said you don't even turn on your heater.

You can't change your lies to fit this thread, you posing shitfucker.

You are an idiot.
>>
WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL HERE!?
>>
File: 1487033104441.jpg (53KB, 571x540px) Image search: [Google]
1487033104441.jpg
53KB, 571x540px
>>950705
Sure thing, kid.
>>
>>950746
remove thread

oh wait i shouldn't have posted, now it'll live a little longer
>>
This thread needs to be archived, so that BATTONNY CHOP CHOPPY CHOP BUSHKEKER is never forget.
>>
>>950794
i really want to forget that faggot >:(
>>
>>948186
Seriously. That thing is a CHAMP
>>
File: Turmofen alt 03.jpg (54KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Turmofen alt 03.jpg
54KB, 480x640px
>>948110
get as swiss army turmofen (tower stove)
uses a wick and petroleum
1 tank fill 2l for 20 hours at 1,3kw

pic is the old 1950 version costs around 70€
theres also a new version with 1,9kw for around 50€
>>
File: 56052i-Schweiz-Turmofen.gif (97KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
56052i-Schweiz-Turmofen.gif
97KB, 700x700px
>>950925
new version
the plate on the top is able to boil water
>>
>>950705
>>950769
Kek.

I used to live in the Frozen North for 23yrs. We had a wood burning fireplace in the house and would do bonfires a lot. Ran a couple cords thru the indoor one every winter. Max comfy.
>>
File: 1468271620422.jpg (306KB, 1280x957px) Image search: [Google]
1468271620422.jpg
306KB, 1280x957px
>>949409
>>949844
>>950794
>>950800
CHOPPY CHOPPY lil BUSH-KEKS!! I hope dem knives are GOOD N SHARP cuz we got lotsa BATONNY CHOP CHOP to do!!

>In b4 CHOPPY CHOPPY
>InB4 bush-cuck anger about silly bushy knives they never use
>INb4 all the lil bushy-peenies and their youtube 480p dreams about outdoors get all mad.

ALL HAIL NEEDLESSLY SPLITTING BITS OF WOOD WHEN YOU'RE FUCKING SURROUNDED BY BRANCHES THAT GROW ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT SIZES.
>>
File: WhoahHeMad.jpg (113KB, 477x418px) Image search: [Google]
WhoahHeMad.jpg
113KB, 477x418px
>>950974
you're a faggot

just sayin
>>
>>951170
You want to know where the fuck I've been the past few days? OUT FUCKING SIDE. And you wanna know what? I didn't need to to battonny chop chop one fucking time. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed my evenings- and two mid-day breaks- with fires provided by deadwood that fell from the trees without any human intervention.
>>
>>951212
>You want to know where the fuck I've been the past few days? OUT FUCKING SIDE. And you wanna know what? I didn't need to to battonny chop chop one fucking time. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed my evenings- and two mid-day breaks- with fires provided by deadwood that fell from the trees without any human intervention. alone. forever. because I get mad on image boards and I don't have a clue how to communicate with people. I may be an assburger idk, i probably should seriously consider getting a therapist.
ftfy
>>
>>950974
That .jpg is pretty fuckin funny. Although you do realize that there are times that you may actually have to get to the dry center of larger chunks of wood?
>>
File: batonning chisel with handle.jpg (13KB, 480x353px) Image search: [Google]
batonning chisel with handle.jpg
13KB, 480x353px
>>947164
Seems to me that it would be a lot more effective if it the majority of the weight was in the blade, but that might make it too short, so maybe if it had a stick attached to the side of it, so you'd have something to hold on to. Then that would allow you to swing it, which would actually be more effective than batoning. See if you find a chisel that looks more like pic related, that would work better.
>>
>>951288
I thought concept is a tool that weighs 1lb and is small enough to fit in your pocket.

I'm well aware that a campers axe is the best tool for the job but the point of this thread is to discuss alternate means to acquire dry fuel wood. By engaging a constructive forum and a sincere analog, dissuade against both bringing an axe and batoning a knife, for the sake of argument, to find an alternative method of fire building.

So far this thread has been consistently partisan to collecting deadwood.

But by merely exclaiming that a solution should be the obvious, an axe, without grasping the nature of the question, alternative methods concerning size and weight, you have brought nothing to the debate and revealed your own idiocy.

Good day to you sir!
>>
>>951292
>1lb and is small enough to fit in your pocket
No thanks.
If you really need to baton. Just baton your [fixed blade] knife. Or carry an axe. Or carry a folding saw and split the wood with that.
>>
File: 1440888955999.jpg (14KB, 235x223px) Image search: [Google]
1440888955999.jpg
14KB, 235x223px
>>951234
>>
>>951292
Your "point" took a hot topic and made the people in this thread foam at the mouth and chew each others faces off. Great job.
>>
>>951292

No, the whole point of batonning is to have an alternative for when your dumb ass either forgot to bring the right tool for the job or stupidly lost or damaged said right tool for the job. Replacing the hatchet with a chisel doesn't solve either of those issues, but if you're stupid enough forget or break your tool in the first place, it doesn't really matter what that tool was, now does it?
>>
>>951371
Did your girlfriend leave you or did you lose out on a promotion to that lesbian you tried to sleep with? I don't get it. I really thought you were trolling but you're serious and it's absolutely the most pathetic thing I've seen on this board. Seriously dude, the FUCK is your problem? No one should be this angry over a personal decision that's not your own and has no real consequence. Batoning is a real thing that has NO BEARING on your way of living. None. At all. When you file your taxes this year "Do you baton?" will NOT be on your form. Ever. At. All. Move. The. Fuck. On.
>>
>>951375
Oh, shit... someone insulted me on the internet. I'd better go cry now.

Bitch, please.
>>
>>951288
>>951371
Dude I love you. These fucking cunts have no idea about being out. They've been watchin' cunty ass youtubez and maybe gone camping a couple times where they wore a wool bushshirt while car camping and lectured their weeb friends about the evils of synthetics after theyd had a few beers.

I don't get it. Even as a "survival technique" wouldn't you be blunting and endangering an important tool? To get to the "dry center" of wood- maybe learn to build a better fire? If you're that big on taking one log and making two halves out of it, bring a fucking axe, christ.

>I haven't seen a convincing argument FOR batonning, but I have seen plenty of webms of broken knives.
>>
>>951406
yeah but what is the discussion in this thread? nobody actually said a positive thing about batonning and this guy is chimping out on everyone about batonning being retarded >>950974
>>
>>947568
>and then what? wait for +1 years for it to dry?

Well yeah, maybe not that long but wood needs to age for a while.
>>
>>947604
Anybody got any meat that needs curing? Cause there's an abundance of salt here.
>>
>>947231

A lot of ppl do it. Even ppl Ray Mears, MCQbushcraft, Dave Canterbury, binch others will baton with a axe. Which is a good idea if you're new to axes, want to be more safe. Clearly you never get out, so I don't expect you to know these things. Stupid faggot.
>>
File: geeps_goiter.png (11KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_goiter.png
11KB, 261x195px
>>951416
Careful anon, turns-out it's not iodized salt.
>>
>>951416

He's salty because he's fucking right. The idea that someone is going to chop down live trees for immediate firewood instead of just using deadfall is hilariously retarded.
>>
>>951464
Chopping down live trees is not really that big of a deal, you're not going to fall logs but young trees less than 10cm in diameter which unless you are a fat neckbeard is not very hard to do, and green wood will keep the fire burning for longer than dry dead wood. Also wood is easier to work green than dry.
Anyway that's not really his point, I think not even he knows what his point is

>>947604
If you don't have a forest to go cutting wood around stay home. You should also know the borders of your property so you don't cut into neighbors.
If you are a town faggot and can't resist the urge to go out and you have to go in a park then bring a fueled stove with you or something but why would I bring a stove with me if my country has plenty of unmanaged forest? Again I would rather stay home than go camping in a park

-you need a small amount of dry wood to get the fire going, then you can put green wood in it and it will burn
-chop them with a hatchet, or bring a little saw with you
-nobody said anything about batoning, you can split them easily with a hatchet
>>
>>951479
>chopping down trees

You fucking rapist!
>>
>>951378
dude, this whole board is against you, get lost. go back outside and dont come back. your negativity is a total drag. it seems like it's just (You) being a dick to anyone that comes on this thread.
>>
>>951479
Lemme walk you through the logic steps.

1.You need dry deadfall to start a fire.

2.You walk around and gather the deadfall, feed the fire.

...3.Cut down a tree for green wood?

Look I understand that you may cut down trees for green wood that's easier to work. I understand that you may cut down trees to dry them out to use later as fuel. I understand that one would select a smaller tree for it to be more manageable amounts of wood.

But to go through the extra effort for green wood? There's a better alternative that's literally lying around waiting to be used. If you want fire that will burn longer, build a better fire. Construct something that constricts airflow. Use kinda punky wood. There's a ton of shit out there on the internet on making a fire last longer. Here's an interesting idea that I found in >5 seconds of searching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejfSv3raPDo

The idea that you'd take the extra time and effort- no matter how easy it is for you it's still harder than walking around picking shit up- just for harder to burn wood is just terrible. You already stated that you need dry dead wood to start it, so why not continue and collect some more?
>>
>>951518
Different guy here.

If you're staying at a campsite which you or other people use several times each summer, there is a limited amount of deadfall available, and it's important not to waste it by burning only deadfall all night.

I usually camp in spots where there's plenty of deadfall, but even if your amount of deadfall is practically unlimited, you still want means to process wood larger than 2.5", unless you enjoy stoking the fire every half hour.

I usually pack a pruning saw when I'm planning on having a fire. If I wanted to be able to split wood, I wouldn't hesitate to pack a hatchet too, but as things are, I can find plenty of ~4" deadfall around my favorite spots.
>>
>>951518
Well I don't know but it's not really like deadfall is laying around in small pieces just waiting to be thrown into the fire, you still have to carry it and cut or break into pieces. The whole extra effort of gathering green wood consists in falling it and cutting the branches which at least for me is not a big deal, also green wood is softer and much easier to cut than dry wood
Also you should take in consideration that forests do not have a set amount of green wood/dry wood ratio. In a lot of places you won't find much dead wood and spending a hour processing green wood will set you for the night. If there is a bigger dead tree just laying there of course you should use it before chopping down a live tree. My point is that there is no reason to dismiss either option.

Also you are not going to destroy the environment like some would think, where I am you have overgrown forests of black locust which grows really fast and is an invasive species, it suffocates other trees from growing and thinning it out you are actually doing good for the forest
>>
File: Ailanthus.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Ailanthus.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>951532
>>951528
ok ok, you guys make good points about green wood for fires. Definitely understand the invasive species argument- a huge part of my time spent as a landscaper was putting down the weedwhacker and digging up Ailanthus trees. I'd much rather have a green wood fire of those fuckers.
>>
>>947270
>get froe
>whittle mallet out of log
>disassemble bike for innertube
>get chainsaw to cut logs into batonnable sections
>lay everything out
>pick up each item and carefully shove them into your ass
>turn around
>spend 30 seconds picking up sticks
>voila, you've got kindling
>>
>>951433
oh shit, mah goiter
>>
>>951378
You think I'm trying to insult you? You're making an ass of yourself enough on your own. It's almost like kicking a man when he's down. No point.
>>
>>951546
>burning invasive species for a campfire

That's an exceptional way to get severely poisoned from smoke. If you cook over it the residues are also toxic in most cases.
>>
File: 1418616620715.jpg (13KB, 318x345px) Image search: [Google]
1418616620715.jpg
13KB, 318x345px
>>951622
>invasive species produce toxic smoke
>>
>>951622
Remarkable.
>>
>>951634
it's from china what exactly did you expect?
they also poison the dirt around them to kill off other plants and can re-sprout from root after cut down multiple times.
>>
>>951636
Christ, you said that like it was ALL invasive species though. Yes, the tree of heaven is toxic.
>>
File: Untitled.png (624KB, 1508x1940px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
624KB, 1508x1940px
>>951634
Correct. Some native ones do as well. Ailanthus altissima does. The greener they are the worse the symptoms will be. Here's a short list.
>>
>>951637
There's not too many other types of invasive species that are trees.
>>
File: 1320468651228.jpg (11KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
1320468651228.jpg
11KB, 250x202px
>>951638
>That's an exceptional way to get severely poisoned from smoke
you explicitly stated your belief that invasive species are categorically toxic

you're a retard, kill yourself
>>
>>951642

He's right, they are. So are you. Faggot.
>>
>>951638
Ok, maybe all of the trees on that list have some incredibly minor irritable effects, but several of those are commonly used as firewood, and I've never heard of any issues associated with the ones I'm familiar with.
>>
>>951642
this thread is cursed or smthing it's one retarded after the other
>>
>>951646
I burned 10 square meters of black locust last yeat and I'm still alive. Yeah black locust smoke is irritating, it's thorns get infected easily and it's generally a despicable wood but you don't die from the smoke
>>
>>951648
>>>951642
>this thread is cursed or smthing it's one retarded after the other

Exhibit A
>>
>>951643
>He's right, they are.
...?

The only plant I've heard of someone getting poisoned from burning is poison ivy. I assume it would be similar for poison oak and poison sumac, but I just don't believe that the level of toxicity in most invasive species (or most species in general) is enough to cause someone ill effects just from burning it.
>>
>>951654
that's not very nice of you
>>
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHOPPY CHOPPY BATONNY ACTION

>my knife craves it. its fucking jonesing to batonny them woods so badd.

BATONNY CHOPPY?? Lemme know where/when/what truck stop to chilll at k?
>>
File: 1450907491398.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1450907491398.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>951642
>>951634
>>951647
>>951654
I've never seen an ass wrecking as much as this >>951638 anon has wrought today.
>>
>>949412
...yes?
>>
>>947583
No, batonny chop chop is just fine! No problems ever!
>>
>>952019

So...you baton it?

BATONNY CHOPPY CHOP
>>
>>951924
>Posts one infographic that is largely wrong
>Spectacular ass-wrecking
>>
>>952518
>>952793
CHOPPY CHOPPY!! Lets buy knives and hits dem with woods into other woods cuz BUSHY-CRAFT FUN!!
>>
>>947164
Why fucking bother. Just pick sticks of the proper size, its not that hard.

>b-but all the survival channels on youtube baton their wood
just stop
>>
File: IMG_0972.jpg (123KB, 750x570px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0972.jpg
123KB, 750x570px
The mods need to do a better job of pruning bullshit threads with mouth breathing butt fuckers. This thread is balls. I don't know why personal preferences piss people off so much.
>>
>>953265
because I want everybody to have my personal preferences >:(
>>
File: s-l1600-3-2.jpg (185KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600-3-2.jpg
185KB, 1000x668px
>>953265
>he doesn't know what a containment thread is

Welcome to 4chan. Here's your complementary, "D2 Tool Bushcraft Camp Cleaver Survival Chisel Knife".
>>
>>947355
This. The trees here are constantly dropping branches, I've literally never needed to prepare wood in my life. I just drag it on.

Though there are fire bans nearly everywhere.
>>
>>953265
I don't care how you oozed into this shit box, but it sure as hell isn't a hugbox.
This is 4chan, asshole of the internet.
Welcome, faggot.
>>
This thread is so shit and it has been going on for so long it might actually become gold. Just like 4chan
>>
>>947164

realistically for a tiny bit of extra weight you could just carry a small axe that will do the same job and many others as well
>>
>>953549
are you implying that over long periods of time shit turns into gold?
>>
>>953396
>>953544
I've been here for a long time. I expect this kind of bullshit from /b/ /fit/ /v/ and /k/ but out always seemed a lot better. Until now.
>>
>>947180

>be inna woods
>find pine tree
>find dead branch
>cut dead branch right at trunk

Boom, instant fire starter, use the rest of the dead branch for kindling.
>>
>>947231

Not a day goes by that I am not reminded that nobody on /out/ goes out.
>>
>>953790
if you don't stomp on it, yes
>>
File: il_570xN.467427564_jdzl.jpg (45KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.467427564_jdzl.jpg
45KB, 570x570px
>>953900
well it's hard not to
>>
why not just bring some?
>>
>>953913
Is it hand carved, organic, and GMO free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI
>>
>>953913
>>953937
And it weighs less than a chisel and ham... uh... batonny.
But it's doesn't go "Chop"
Choppy chop.
>>
>>953913
I do this, because I use a rocket stove and 3 fist fulls of sticks is enough to last a couple days worth of meals. I normally source fuel at the site and only use the packed-in fuel for when it starts to rain. That way I always have completely dry fuel to get things started.
>>
File: buckfroe.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
buckfroe.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone have one of these? I really want to pick one up.
>>
>>955504
>omg
>>
File: 1487701962317.gif (93KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1487701962317.gif
93KB, 500x447px
>>947231
>>
>>
>>947231
I very often baton with a hatchet. It is the best solution because you can split bigger logs than you could normally with the same hatchet size, AND I also baton if the piece of wood is too small to be split.

So basically: Bring a hatchet, split what I can with it, baton the rest with it.

Also fuck you all, everyone here is an incompetent retard who doesn't go out. I'm 17 and I swear I've got three times as many nights /out/ as most of you.
This thread is the reason I only come here once a week
>>
>>955615
Careful now there big boy. That kind of angst can cause you problems in your thirties. Which will get here faster than you realize.
>>
>>955696
But do you go /out/?
>>
>>947164
Bring nothing, smash rocks
>>
>>947164

You're not going to bother any bushcraft knife with hitting it through wood vertically

Just don't put lateral pressure on the blade; only vertical
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.