[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

staying in the amazonian jungle for 4 days soon. anything i should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: amazon-rainforest-ecuador.jpg (571KB, 2048x1154px) Image search: [Google]
amazon-rainforest-ecuador.jpg
571KB, 2048x1154px
staying in the amazonian jungle for 4 days soon. anything i should know before getting zika
>>
>>946297
Pack a butt plug for invasive insects.
>>
Bring gin & tonic to cure malaria
>>
>>946297

I was in the amazon a few years ago around this time of year, its fucking amazing and youre gonna have the time of your life.

ALWAYS check your shoes before putting them on. I went on a multi hour hike, and when I got back I took my shoe off and out came a fucking massive cockroach. I was lucky it wasn't something more nasty.

Enjoy the 'mazon anon.
>>
The moss on some trees is poisonous to the touch. Watch out for it.
>>
>>946297
Don't forget your penis gourd. Freshest fashion from Papua New Guinea, got to stay ahead of the jungle abo curve.
>>
>>946297
Knee-high rubber boots are some of the best footwear if you're going to be hiking around. Heavy rainfall can turn trails into small rivers and seas of mud.

Wear a hat or a bandana. A few species of mosquito carry bot fly eggs, and you don't want bot flies in your scalp. Although the rivers and streams aren't very hospitable to mosquitoes due to the high tannin load in the water from decaying leaves, within the forest there are a lot of plants that trap water, so there are actually more mosquitoes there than along open water.

The combination of a hammock and mosquito net under a thatch or tin roof roof (or a tarp if you're out in the middle of nowhere) is super comfy at night.

Out in the sun it gets brutally hot and humid because of the intensity of the sun being directly overhead. Sometimes there's a 20 degree Fahrenheit temperature difference between open areas and the middle of the forest.

The coolest animals are all active at night, so strap on a headlamp and grab a spotlight and go wander around after dark.

Things get moldy super fast, so pack things in sealed bags and make sure things are dry before you put them away. Also, the humidity can kill electronics, so get hold of a bunch of silica beads and wrap them up in a sock to pack with anything like a phone.

Bring a headlamp and a spare headlamp. Bring a lot of batteries. Bring really good rain gear.

Don't expect things to run like clockwork. Due to the environment and the local culture, nothing is ever on time and if you're not on a guided tour something will probably go wrong at some point (hopefully only a little wrong instead of a lot of wrong).

It's an awesome place. Enjoy it.
>>
File: onça pintada.jpg (182KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
onça pintada.jpg
182KB, 800x534px
You won't be walking, you're going to be swimming through the air. It's incredibly humid, be prepared for that. It's like walking through pudding.

Don't pee in water, ANY water, you never know when one of those swim-up-your-piss-and-enter-your-dick fish will be there

If you do walk after dark take a lot of care with snakes and such. And while I doubt you're going to be wandering that far off, take care not to wander into these things' territory. They're not like cougars where you can scare them off.

If you have the chance eat some pirañas, shit's delicious

Swimming in the black river is fucking amazing, but said pirañas live in some of those parts. And on some others you can see fresh water dolphins, some of which are pink, so plan that well
>>
>>946710

Candiru don't swim up your piss, retard.
>>
Wear long sleeves and long pants, the only thing that will protect you from mosquitoes and other parasites is clothing. Make sure all your clothes are quick dry, as everything will be in a perpetual state of dampness, and mold and insects will infest wet clothing like you have never seen. Practice walking very slowly and quietly, most animals don't want to be seen and will actively avoid you if they can. Listen to the advice of all the other anons that have posted, I can attest to their advice about headlamps and rubber boots. Also, I assume you are fairly familiar with the discomforts of being /out/ but the Amazon is not a "comfy" place. Being in the Amazon is one fo the most intense, and incredible experiences of my life, but it is not comfortable, at least not to non-natives. You will be hot, sticky, sweaty, and itchy for the whole time. Accept that as the new norm, and enjoy the most biodiverse ecosystem on the planet.
What part of the Amazon will you be going to?
>>
>>946710
Jaguars aren't aggressive. They get curious sometimes but I've never heard of one attacking people. Stories told by drunk dudes in little villages don't count.

Also, piranha don't attack people unless it's the dry season and a whole school of them has been stranded in a small pool away from a river, where there's no food.
>>
>>946857
Stop making up lies anon.
>>
>Also, the humidity can kill electronics, so get hold of a bunch of silica beads and wrap them up in a sock to pack with anything like a phone.

i really needed this, thanks for the info anon :)
>>
>>946911
Nigger you atop making up lies
>>
>Swimming in the black river is fucking amazing, but said pirañas live in some of those parts. And on some others you can see fresh water dolphins, some of which are pink, so plan that well.
This is something that always amazed me. I spend years as a child living next to this river. My friends and i would SWIM ACROSS IT just because we saw something interesting on the other shore. Remember we were schoolkids. And we never, ever saw a piranha or an anaconda or any of the kind of wildlife that documentaries imply the river is full of.

Never even heard of this "swim up your piss" fish that suposedly lives there until i was living in the states and saw a documentary.

People at work that knows where i grew up asks me about those critters and when i tell them i never ever saw one they think i'm bullshiting them.
>>
>>948179
What South American country did you grow up in amigo?
>>
>>948179
People is terrorized with this fairy tale of "swim up your piss" fish when they should be preoccupied with the dengue fever when they go to the urban cities.
>>
>>949646
That's because in America, the media sensationalizes everything. I don't know when it became okay to lie in the news, but it's so common now that people don't even notice.
>>
>>949776
It's not so much lying as it is being lazy with their reporting and caring more about ratings than substance. Which in many ways is worse than outright lying, because it requires the audience to be even lazier and just lap it up instead of thinking about it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.