[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Almost every shoe has an elevated heel, why is this? What benefit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

Almost every shoe has an elevated heel, why is this? What benefit does a sole with an elevated heel provide over a sole that is flat?
>>
>>944972
when you have to stop suddenly you can really set your heels into the dirt.
>>
File: Obi_Wan_Kenobi_Rebellion_.jpg (38KB, 247x332px) Image search: [Google]
Obi_Wan_Kenobi_Rebellion_.jpg
38KB, 247x332px
>>944972
Makes your ass look thicc
>>
>>944972
btw modern footware seems to move away from them even military boots are more like comfier hiking boots nowadays.
>>
>>944972

I like vans slip ons because they are like moccasins w/ great grip and I pretend to be an Apache scout
>>
>>944972

Stops you getting shin splints, lets you carry more on your back (stop over to /fit/ and look at the lifting shoes we wear for back squats if you think I'm joking).
>>
File: 11920988059_3[1].jpg (44KB, 479x709px) Image search: [Google]
11920988059_3[1].jpg
44KB, 479x709px
>>944972
As an aside - WW2 British commandos had heels with metal segs for pic related, 'bronco kick', as taught by W E Fairbairn, a very very hard man.
>>
>>945022
/fit/ here, that isn't why olympic weightlifting shoes have an elevated heel
Having an elevated heel allows for more forward knee travel during a squat, that is all.
>>
File: baroque-costume-musketeer-003.jpg (88KB, 618x900px) Image search: [Google]
baroque-costume-musketeer-003.jpg
88KB, 618x900px
>>944972
Heels on shoes were originally necessary for riding horses- the heel keeps your foot from slipping through the stirrup and getting dragged to your death by the animal if it gets spooked. As only rich people tended to ride horses, the nicer shoes had heels. Like anything, everyone likes to emulate rich people and started wearing heels.

I think there's an added benefit of making you slightly taller, walk with a little bit of a strut and flexing your legs in an attractive manner. French noblemen would flex their calves when they'd bow to ladies in an attempt to impress them.

Currently they're important on job sites because you can stand on a ladder safely and for a hell of a lot longer.
>>
>>944972
Because Jews are typically short/manlets. They think everyone is like them and wants to appear taller while wearing the shoes they sell.
>>
File: 1471190830132.png (200KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1471190830132.png
200KB, 800x800px
>>945080
that ladder point is absolute BS. climbing speed, agility and feel through the soles are extremely important when doing about 12-20 ladder set ups in an hour. want to climb in boots now? thought not.. never used anything other than conventional footware with thin soles in the 5 years I've spent earning a living up and down ladders.
>>
>>945301

Was a ladder accident how you got that chip off your shoulder Anon? Though so, you sound like a fag when you type like this. I'very been reading posts like this since 4chans inception and never once have I had the desire to talk like an absolute boner of a human being. Still want to chat a load of shit and school other kids about minor points now? Thought not...
>>
>>945077

Well yes, it compensates for lack of ankle mobility, but in so doing it does allow you to squat more.
>>
>>944972
It makes it easier to ride horses without your feet slipping through the stirrups. .
And that used to matter a whole lot.
>>
>>944972
Runner hrre. For running shoes, it was originally to put more padding under the heel to reduce impact.

Nowadays it's almost a necessity for a lot of people because they have shortened Achilles from not stretching, not being active, and wearing heeled shoes.
>>
>>944972
Chicks dig tall dudes.
My heels are 5-6", MINIMUM!
>>
File: 1469156439770.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1469156439770.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>945313
excuse me but you seem to have made a mistake in your post; using a tripcode when your identity is not essential to the topic being discussed. perhaps you would prefer to try posting on another website like tumblr or reddit?
>>
File: heelz.jpg (71KB, 299x450px) Image search: [Google]
heelz.jpg
71KB, 299x450px
>>945301
I'm so glad you like your Keds anon. Maybe if you pulled your head out of your ass you could find a better job than climbing ladders for cuckbux.

http://www.americanladderinstitute.org/?page=BasicLadderSafety
>>
File: IMG_2830.jpg (57KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2830.jpg
57KB, 480x720px
>>945626
wat
>>
a raised heel is just a better way of walking, which is why nearly every walking animal on earth is either a digitigrade or unguligrade (walking with wrist/heel permanently raised off the ground)

We share the distinction of being plantigrades (walking with heel or wrist on the ground) with only a few other species including; Raccoons, Skunks, Bears, Rats, Mice and Hedgehogs
>>
>>945951

Nobody cares. Literally nobody cares.
>>
>>946188
lawl
>>
>>946167
Why didn't humans evolve a raised heel then? I'd imagine that walking has always been a pretty important thing for humans.
>>
How does the Danner Light II fit? Big or small? I wear a 9-9.5 US size usually.
>>
>>946555
Well presumably our evolution revolved around making our brains bigger. Humans have always relied on tools to be superior to other beasts, so I suppose the trade-off would be less than ideal physical capabilities.
This is all just conjecture though, go read a book nigger.
>>
>>945951
>>946188
I care. Tripfags are stupid and there's no need to encourage them on a nice board like /out/
>>
>>946865
this doesn't make sense; unless walking on your heels would have a direct advantage for having a bigger/better brain.
>>
>>946555
>>946865
>>946970

walking on our heels was probably a result of having an opposable toe and toes suited to climbing and grasping when we first left the forests, look at how chimps walk upright now
>>
>>946188
faggots like you are the reason we care. kys
>>
>>945951
>>946890
>>947068
Autism.
>>
>>944972
increased access to powerful prescription medication. once you roll your ankle, you can get some vicodin or something EZPZ
>>
>>945845
Pics or fuck off.
>>
>>946167
if you wear a high heel shoe you actually walk on your heel, which transfers the force up to your knees and will cause damage over time

think about it for a moment
>>
>>946167
I mean to be fair there's nothing stopping a person from walking around with their heels off the ground. I'd even call it comfortable.
>>
>>946865
But that's fucking retarded, evolution doesn't revolve around one fucking aspect of a certain species.
>>
>>944972
It compensates for the rigid sole, so your muscles are not stressed too much.
I always have muscle problems and have to wear inlays because i have flat feet which makes it just slightly worse.
>>
>>946188
Inadvertent troll: the post
>>
>>946555
>>946865
This is partly it, but humans are also highly specialized towards endurance running and walking, eventually while carrying loads. Besides, what do you do when you sprint? Run on your toes. Supporting heavy loads on our heels was probably advantageous for endurance.
>>
>>948282
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Alright y'all just siddown n' shuddup n' watch this David Attenborough narrated shit.
>>
>>945313
No offense, but you're the one who sounds like a fag.
>>
>>946188
You don't speak for anyone besides yourself.
>>
>>948952
>>948953
lol, not the same anon, but you sound like more of a fag getting all worked up about shit.

>>948374
this is some intense shit, kinda want to go big game hunting in Africa now.
>>
>>946167
If you walk without shoes you'll automatically walk on your forefoot ie naturally raised heel without foot crutches aka shoes.
>>
File: trips.png (278KB, 554x539px) Image search: [Google]
trips.png
278KB, 554x539px
>>946188
>>
>>946865
>Well presumably our evolution revolved around making our brains bigger.
retard detected.

we evolved as runners, and we run on our toes
>>
>>946167
This is bullshit. A padded raised heel encourages heavy footfalls, which jars your spine and joints, and alters your gait to something very unnatural.
>>
>>946890
>nice board
Look how nice we are telling off on this guy. Why does it bother? Trips, or at lest a name, are useful if you are having a conversion with a particular, or multiple, people. It helps keep track and let the debate develop.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.