[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok so i am homeless. I live in my truck. Doing it since october,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 16

Ok so i am homeless. I live in my truck. Doing it since october, breddy comfy. But it just got 85 in the day and 75 and humid at night. How do u guys deal? Do u just move to maine?
>>
Gyms are a cheap way to shower if you get sweaty.
>>
>>943597
I would think it should be obvious, anon. Where are you living?
>>
>>943613
H town

And i don't see how it is so obvious. Of course i have a gym membership.
>>
>>943597

What does your setup look like? Any pics?

What kind of truck do you have?

Tell me your story.
>>
>>943619
No pics. I haven't even figured out how to name my pics right on this phone.
>>
File: boxingladies.jpg (92KB, 768x593px) Image search: [Google]
boxingladies.jpg
92KB, 768x593px
>>943597
Dunno what to say except the obvious, park in the shade, park near water (streams/lakes/ocean), park where there's good breezes (hilltops).

I'm interested to see what /out/ comes up with so this is more of a bump
>>
>>943626

What about the rest? Where are you? What truck? What is your setup like? Details, Nigga. Give me details!
>>
>>943618
you aren't going to be able to survive in houston much longer. If you think 85 is hot (it's not, that's actually very nice weather for us), wait for may-september where it never drops below 90 in the day or 80 at night.

t. houstonian for 23 years and counting.
>>
>>943618
Lol ffs come one state up
>>
>>943597
if you move to maine and sleep in a truck you will freeze to death in the colder months
>>
>>943670
this has to be the biggest meme ever.
If he has proper gear, no, he won't die.
>>
>>943597
You could make one of those bucket ac systems with a battery powwered fan some Styrofoam and ice
>>
>>943742
he'll spend a million dollars in gas keeping warm.
>>
>>943597
Tell me more about twinky trap in op pic.

I have a weird boner commencing.>>943602
>>
>>943643
H town and like the other guy said, summers here are get brutal.

Ihave a low miles 2009 f150. Ihave window screens that i made, butdont need them in the city thank you zika. I haven't seen a mosquito inside houston in 3 years.

I have a bed cover and a 5th uton matress, but sleeping in the bed is often times more work than worth it. Most days i just recline my seat.
>>
File: 1479059279517.jpg (179KB, 1242x1229px) Image search: [Google]
1479059279517.jpg
179KB, 1242x1229px
>>943597
>85°
>uncomfortable
You don't belong /out/ yuppie. Park in the shade if you insist on being a pansy
>>
>>943773
>Most days i just recline my seat.
Jesus that was depressing to read.
>>
File: 1482949952024.jpg (35KB, 567x437px) Image search: [Google]
1482949952024.jpg
35KB, 567x437px
>>943773
Do you hate your life?
>>
File: tmp_26322-147810072341162938358.jpg (195KB, 644x884px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26322-147810072341162938358.jpg
195KB, 644x884px
>>943858
Of course. Everyone hhates their life. That is a retarded question.

Think about shit. Every hollywood movie tries to tell you that allour mistakes is our life. Which isn't exactly wrong. But they take it to extremes, saying they wouldchange nothing.

For fucks sake it's 1330 and i have 8 things i would do different today
>>
Hey I love my life. and I live in Houston, but I do own a house with A/C.

If I had to live in my truck I would do enough work to earn gas money to get to Colorado for the Summer, and back to Texas in the winter
>>
>>943888
I love my life. You should love yours. Go do what you want to be doing.

You live in your truck you have no excuse
>>
>>943928
>>943951
You really love your life? Warts and all?

Not the "well the alternative isn't much better" lovers of life, but you genuinely think that your life is awesome?

I seriously doubt either of you truly love your life in a non creator way, but i am a horrible person.
>>
>>943957
Only simpletons "LOVE"life.
Life is to be endured and examined .
Otherwise you are a pathetic sorority girl on instagram.
There are amazing days filled with awe at existence for sure, but if you do not see the basic horror of the human condition you are ignoring, willfully or through ignorance, huge chunks of data.
>>
>>944044
That's dark. But atleast you got doubles :^)
>>
File: rsz_img_20160605_092512.jpg (150KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160605_092512.jpg
150KB, 1328x747px
>>943957
Nah man i love my life. I do nothing but what i want to be doing. Even the worst days arent bad, simply inconvenient. Barring some fucked up emergency i have it made my friend. Why dont you?
>>
>>944070
Hey if you can reallly believe that shit then go ahead. I was a paid galveston county life guard, you think about waste?
>>
>>943597
If you can dig up a computer fan and the solar panel from a garden light, you can rig a camp fan. The solar panel puts out about 6 volts DC, which will run the fan at about half speed.

It doesn't move a huge amount of air, but it's noticeable.

For night time, use a spare car battery or booster pack to run the fan. This'll run it at normal speed, which should help with the comfort factor a little. I've run 4 computer fans for about 84 hours straight off of 1 scavenged car battery.

If you come across a second solar panel, experiment with rigging them in series to run your daytime fan at regular speed.
>>
>>944082
Live it my nigga

What about waste? Why arent you happy? Youre a truck living life guard? Were? Unemployed now?
>>
File: 006.jpg (844KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
844KB, 2272x1704px
>>943597

go to Maine?

it gets cold enough to gel diesel fuel.
thats fucking cold
>>
>>944086
i like you.
>>
>>944044
Well, I respect your opinion, but have to disagree. Just because I happen to love the life I lead and have created for myself, does not mean I am some simple, oblivious to the human condition, moron.

I am not talking about the masses of the world starving and sick, political unrest and instability of the planet. I am talking out my personal existence, things I have control over and the way I live my life. The great friends, family, and many things I do that bring me happiness.

Of course there is always some sadness and things we regret in life. I am not saying it's all rainbows and unicorns shooting out your ass...but you have to have both sides of the coin. If I had not gone through a terrible year with a divorce, I would not appreciate my drama free life now. My mother died in my arms, and now I never miss a chance to hug my daughters and tell them how much I love them.

I think to say, yeah I am miserable, everyone is miserable and unhappy, if not your just to stupid to realize the reality of life.... is just an excuse for people to blame the everyone and everything else for their crappy life, instead of doing something about it. It's easy to say, "it's not my fault, it's just the human condition". But what the hell do I know, I am just an old guy living a great life. Perhaps being the tortured, depressed, directionless, pessimist, really makes you happy and you just don't realize it?
>>
>>944227
>Perhaps being the tortured, depressed, directionless, pessimist, really makes you happy and you just don't realize it?
Thats bullshit, but i want to beleive.
>>
>>943747
I live in the province above Maine. I know people who sleep outside you just need a lot of blankets. But still people in hot climates have no right to bitch when up here you'll die if you try sleeping outside I winter.
>>
>>944269
Old folks die all the time from heat. I double dog dare you to walk 3 fucking blocks in downtown Houston in july.
Dieng frimm cold is a relaxing trip. Try stewing yourself.
>>
>>944316
fucking easy how fat and lazy are you try drinking some water.
>>
>>944044
>this is what miserable fucks tell themselves to cope

sorry bout ur shit life anon
>>
Hey op, now you know that unprepared (what most people are going to do) car living absolutely sucks. Pass it on!
>>
>h town

Move to the Permian basin. It's a little hotter, but 0% humidity so it's not bad at night in the summer time. Plus day laboring is common in the basin. Source: grew up in Amarillo and have family in midland.
>>
>>946330
Im going to amarillo can you get me a bed to sleep in and a shower
>>
>>943597
>>943618
>>943648
>>943670

Homeless here too, except I dont have the blessing of a vehicle like yourself.

Texas is the worst place to be.

People will say that you should live in warmer climates if you're homeless but this is BS, all it means is you'll be exposed to mosquitos and sweating more makes it harder to maintain your clothes.
> washing clothes costs money

You're in a Truck so you can leave, get the money together for the gas.

Maine might be an okay pick but I would suggest somewhere up like New York State.

Also there's some place in Colorado that has a good homeless shelter that can be used for resources and likely access to day labor.

Winter can be dealt with easier than the summer can, trust me. Made even easier if you're a bigger size guy.

(contd)
>>
>>946382
(contd)

> Clothes
Russel brand synthetic training jogging pants provide surprising warmth, especially if you wear two layers. They cost about $11-15 at walmart.

They can be washed in a sink (laundromat style sink, using scrounged soap) and then tossed in the dryer and get dry enough with about 2 quarters.

> Shelter
Being in your truck isnt the best place to actually hang out and sleep. Go into the woods some place near your usual access to food and other town needs - try to find some place thats rather inaccessible.

Some place that isnt easily traversed or reached, like on the other side of a creek. Its worth it to walk an extra 10 minutes roundabout to get back there (just so that you wont get stray people going that way).

Get a Tent and some Shipping Pallets. Or just extra shipping pallets and the tools necessary to construct a shelter with them. Dont do it in any place where the water rises obviously.

You can make the shelter with the shipping pallets. They can be "tied" together stiffly with something resilient like wire or 550 cord, so you dont need necessarily to do heavy woodworking on them (a hammer would be nice to have around though).

Tent is sorta the crappier option, thats what ive got. 4 shipping pallets with a tent on top of it. Even if you dont carry food into the place the animals will still eventually get in it, because possums are stupid when they're young.

So anyway, you can use Tarps to cut off airflow and keep bugs out. You can use grocery bags to plug holes. Since the pallets give you a wooden floor, you wont get wet when it rains for 2 days straight and the water upwells from the ground.

You should also stuff the bottom of it with sticks and bottles to make it hard for animals to get under there (if you break any of the boards moving around, it also makes that issue less of a hassle too).

Roll-Out Carpets from Walmart can provide a surface to lay on. I got one for $13.
>>
>>943597
Some nights it is 100F and 100% humidity here in the summer at night. You hydrate and find a place to melt if you don't have AC. I normally stick my feet in buckets of cold water and wear a dish towel on my head with a box fan blowing across me the entire time. When sleeping I have a box fan on high on me the entire time.

I suppose you could buy ice and place the bags all over the inside of your sleeping space in your truck before going to sleep. Just make sure to have a way to deal with condensation on the bags.

Just sticking your hand in a bucket of cold water can help cool down your entire body by a great deal and you can sleep.
>>
File: aaaaaaa.jpg (13KB, 338x395px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaa.jpg
13KB, 338x395px
>>946382
>>946388

> Shelter Contd

The location for the shelter should also be somewhere thats easily camouflaged - small bushes and those little trees that always whip you in the face provide good visual cover during the growing seasons.

Bramble Patches are the best, nobody wants to deal with that crap.

So you find a good strategic spot to lay down your new little home.

When it comes to camouflage dont get any tarps or tents that are bright blue, red, or orange. Thats obvious. But the less obvious part of this skill is arranging your camouflage properly then Leaving your home and Looking Back at it.

You want to make sure that it is either nothing out of the ordinary, or anything that can be spotted could be some misc bit of trash just sitting about.

This way if somebody does go back around there or happens to be very lucky looking across the creek, they wont recognize it as being otu of the ordinary (ie, "they dont know what it is they're looking at").

> Bedding For Winter

Sleeping Bags make excellent blankets. Open them up completely, do not be a human burrito. If you store other things in the shelter with you, you can sorta be scrunched up between them (so its not so easy to end up with gaps in the bedding exposed to cold air).

Im a big guy and im practically a space heater myself and ive learned that these layers are what I end up needing:
* 50-60F - maybe my coat and a towel
* 35-50F - 1 Sleeping Bag
* 15-35F - 2 Sleeping Bags
* -5 to 15F... 3 Sleeping Bags

But below 10F its gonna hurt to breathe and youll need to keep your face covered all night too (like cold weather mask). Nights like those it may be best to seek out a homeless shelter.

Below 20F its also advisable to attend to any drafts you feel in the tent/shelter because one reason its warmer inside is because your breath/body heat will accumulate and be insulated. If there's a draft it wont feel as comfy.

And below 25F your breath will form frost on the walls, attend to it or end up wet.
>>
Live in a truck....down by the river
>>
File: trout.png (50KB, 616x599px) Image search: [Google]
trout.png
50KB, 616x599px
>>946398

> Shelter Contd

For summer and spring, just about anywhere in the states you'll need to protect against insects because mosquitos will be the death of you, or make you wish you were dead (all those scratched places, getting infected).

So your shelter or the tent will need decent ventilation as well as properly sealed. Mosquitos follow breath, co2, so they will be drawn to the cracks in it's cover.

You'll also want to be able to get in and out quickly for the same reason (and you'll still get maybe 2-3 that will follow you in, make sure you kill them).

During the summer you also need ventilation, so you cant just use tarps only. Some Screen Mesh might be in order.

I might also suggest a USB powered Personal Fan combined with a rechargeable external cell phone battery thing (just not PocketJuice, they are fire hazards).

Im gonna say at least 4000mah rating if not higher. You can take the battery and plug it in a wall wherever you go in town to get online, then bring it back out to the tent when you come home.

> Few other notes:
You dont wanna stay out there all the time, and be careful about visibility of the way you get in, or out of that location.

Make your trail zig zag, make it so you have to step over bushes to proceed. You can even have some downed branches that you simply move out of the way. Only police dogs will be able to follow it.

Even if you dont need blankets or inflatable mattresses, snatch them up anyway. You can use them for various things.

air mattresses make excellent tarps

> Truck

Be ultra damn careful about going some place that has towing zones. If your truck is towed, its gone pretty much.

Most towns have a 3 day parking limit even if it doesn't say so on the signage coming into town.

You want your Truck to be a Backup Plan to stay in, not the place where you actually live. And the last best hope of getting a job somewhere, if you care to do so, because of having transportation.
>>
File: b1edcb_5623166.jpg (712KB, 3004x1567px) Image search: [Google]
b1edcb_5623166.jpg
712KB, 3004x1567px
>>943597

Been living in my Toyota Tacoma truck since 2012.

The reality is unless you get a van that can host an AC or something your only choice is to AVOID the heat.

- Library's and other public buildings are your friends (you have a license so you can probably get a library card).

- Gym membership

- Get a job with access to showers or other utilities (Hospitals, Utilities such as wastewater/water treatment ect.). Even better if you can get a job where you can work graveyard shifts (janitor, security ect.)

As for the night, you can either just deal with the heat, get a job that allows you to work through it or get anything cold while you run a battery operated fan and sleep on something flannel with the windows open.

I wish I could say there was some magical mini air conditioner but being homeless sucks for a reason dude.
>>
>>946410
>>946399
>>946392
>>944316
>>944185
>>943597

actually if anything id suggest Seattle area, washington state

rainy and wet alot, but at least its cool all the time

probably work in that area to grab onto anyway
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.