[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if you were turning 22 in 13 days and your parents ask you to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 20150912_111916.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150912_111916.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
if you were turning 22 in 13 days and your parents ask you to buy something good and worthy for you, i am out of ideas, i sort of want a new sleeping bag that is more of an all season but i think would be better with a 1 man tent maybe?

i do a lot of solo hiking, i am out of idea, please help, major things please

what would you wish for need inspiration sorry for my english i know its bad

i do hiking and fishing, maybe a more traditional knife? although i have many knives,

what would be the "ULTIMATE!" in gear catagories like the BEST sleeping bag and the BEST tent ?
>>
>>942846
Feathered friends makes the best down gear. Could get a down bag for whatever season you want. Lifetime warranty. I had the zipper break on a 20 year old parka and for whatever reason they couldn't fix it so they sent me a new model. Unreal.
>>
>>942855
that does sound nice! however i have 2 hagloff paraks already and not really looking for clothes, maybe pants but i am so in love with my snickers work pants i think i would just be diapointed by anything else
>>
>>942858
Non clothes... Right now I would buy a nice flash light. Head lamp if you are into ultralight camping. Fenix is good
>>
>>942859
that is true, i do hate my current LEDlenser light
turns on in my pack all the time and drain batter and the turn dial is super confusing not nice. bought cheap shitlight as a substitute,

what are the TOP headlights? red light feature is a must! was looking at PETZL STRIX VL
>>
>>942865
i meant PETZL TACTIKKA + RGB sorry
>>
What more shelter gear. How about is bivi bags GENERALLY good or regular out, ? Bivi and tarp ?
>>
how about just a home cooked meal with your loving family you faggot

you're 22, not 12. you shouldn't even be getting gifts anymore, certainly not if you can't even think of anything you want
>>
This
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBBYCND
>>
>>942865
Tikka RXP is great.
>>
>>942846
Chunk 'o land.
>>
Backpacks last a long time. I stopped camping for some time, and when I wanted to start back up again, I realized I needed a lot of small things, like a stove, dishes, etc. Not a bad idea to ask for a bunch of little things you might need.
>>
You could get a bike.
>>
>>943126
This is not bad advice.

FWIW i mostly hate my one person tent. I've used it a shit ton too. Its to small to really be comfortable in. You can't sit up comfortably and its a pain in the ass to get into. Its at the loosing end of the comfort/weight/bulk ratio.

If you're really looking for shelter, go with a small tarp. Infinitely useful. You can use them for ground sleeping or if you transition to a hammock you're covered too. Rectangle 8'x10' provides good versatility. You can go smaller if you don't ever plan on doing the hammock thing. You'll probably have to seam seal it yourself. Tarps also make great additions to a more traditional camp. You can set them up over the kitchen area of camp and have an area to cook & chill in that's out of the weather. This way you don't have to be confined to a tent if the weather turn absolute shit.
>>
>>942846
a 1" diameter hemp rope necktie, make sure to loop it 13 times, you can use this as a fall arrest harness.
>>
>>942846
A travel ticket for some country that I would like to visit.
>>
>>942846
A nice down sleeping bag that is compressible and high quality will greatly improve your backpacking experience by freeing up room in your pack and keeping you warmer at night. I'd go with Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, or another brand made in the first world (i.e., not China, Vietnam, etc.). I think Rab sleeping bags are probably pretty good too, but don't have personal experience with them, as I do the other two.

A nice sleeping pad will also help insulate you at night and help you sleep better, albeit at the cost of some weight in your pack. The Exped Downmat is really nice, and I would say is an essential luxury item in my current load out. I use the Downmay 7 UL LW, which is rated as more of a 3-season pad (the 9 is the winter mat), is made of ultralight materials, and is "long and wide" to fit your whole body.

As others have mentioned, an LED headlamp is always nice. Flashlights have come a long way in the past 10 years and you may still be using an out of date item using a battery-draining, dim halogen bulb. I have a Fenix HP25 (http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=86&tid=13&cid=2#.WJT-IPKxU3E), which is basically an older version of this:
>http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hp25r-led-headlamp/
The design is awesome for backpacking. You never have to focus your beam, but it gives you the option to have a specialized flood light, and a separate specialized ultra bright spotlight (with separate switches for each), which can be VERY nice when you're out camping by yourself, hear something go "bump" in the night, and want to totally dispel the darkness. I never would have dreamed that a backpacking light could be this bright just 10 years ago. What's even more amazing is how great mine is at 360 lumens, but the fact that they bumped the new one's output up to 1000 lumens in spotlight mode is pretty damn bright. I may upgrade just for the fun of it.

1/2
>>
2/2

There are two other essential pieces of gear for me, but they may be harder for you to be sure about, since they are smaller custom makers in the US and if you don't like the gear, it may be harder to return.

ULA Equipment backpacks. I've owned the Conduit (small), Circuit (medium) and Catalyst (larger), and they are all good. The Conduit was a little too small for me, but other people like that size, as well as the even smaller Ohm (more like an extra small. I mostly use the Circuit and Catalyst. These backpacks are extremely well made; they are more supportive than other ultralight packs; and they have a lot of cool design features that even mainstream packs lack (or at least, until the bigger makers started copying the ultralight industry).

Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid. This is an ultralight one-man pyramid tarp. You could fit a second person in it, snugly, but it's really best with just one person. It's avery weather-proof, strong and lightweight shelter. If tarps aren't your thing, you might want to avoid it. I really like tarps because they give me the ability to pitch it high for an airy set up if desired, or to pitch it low and still have the ability to glance out from under it while I'm sleeping to keep an eye on the area around my campsite.
>>
>>943939
>Downmay 7 UL LW
Sorry, that's supposed to be *Downmat 7 UL LW
>>
>>942967
>you're 22, not 12. you shouldn't even be getting gifts anymore
I'm 31 and I still get gifts from my parents. I also give them gifts. It's a Northern European tradition that is widespread in much of the civilized world that involves employing empathy to better understand those around us and better get along with them in the coming year. Maybe because you live in Mexico or somewhere else filled with savages, you think of gift-giving as a sort of welfare or free handouts?
>>
>>942865
Best headlamp is petzyl myo, without a doubt. I use it for hiking, cycling, skiing, and its never let me down. Good beam length, option for dispersion (nice touch cos you dont always want it) and real good battery life, even on a relatively high setting. My dad still has his from the 70s, and its never failed him either. Retails at 80 britpounds
>>
>>942846
First of all, if I was 21 years old and my parents were still buying me birthday presents I'd be ashamed of myself. Double that if I used the word "worthy" to describe the gift list.

Second, there is no "best" bag, no "best" tent. There are a number of excellent bags: JRB; FF; EE; Kuiu; North Face; etc. There are a number of excellent tents: Kirafu; Seek Outside; HPG; Big Agnes; Hillerberg; etc.
>>
>>943946
I live in México, and we recive gifts in our birthdays.
>>
>>943970
>First of all, if I was 21 years old and my parents were still buying me birthday presents I'd be ashamed of myself.

Northern Europeans, who built great societies in cold climates and even went to the Moon, think of holiday gift-giving as a way to build social cohesion. Societies that have not been to space seem to look at Christmas gift-giving as a way to condition their kids for receiving welfare when they eventually go on the government dole. I would be much more ashamed of the latter, but then again, my people have been to space.
>>
>>943978
>Europeans
>Went to moon

Pick one
>>
>>943986
Northern Europeans built America and Americans went to the Moon.
>>
>>943987
> mfw apes went to the moon
>>
File: 14844289630680.jpg (47KB, 320x380px) Image search: [Google]
14844289630680.jpg
47KB, 320x380px
>>944023
>mfw this is the best rebuttal that a mexican can come up with
>mfw the mexican posts "mfw" but forgets to upload an image, probably doesn't know what it means
>>
>>943987
Ah ok. So people flee northern europe and settle a new land.

They decide to fight for their independence.

They are successful and found a new country intended to correct the problems they saw in their former one.

Nearly 200 years go by.

They land a guy on the moon.

Actual northern europeans, having done nothing good for the world in those intervening 200 years (nor the 40 some years since) look to the moon landing as some sort of validation of their own culture and believe that the people who actually accomplished the feat should carry on with their idiotic and outmoded traditions.

That probably makes sense, to a northern european brain.
>>
>>943987
You are wrong. Africans slaves built america.
>>
>>944114
This is a bit like saying that Mexican immigrant grape-pickers built the wine industry in Southern California, when it's obvious that without the capital and ingenuity of white Americans, there would be no wine industry in Southern California. Don't believe me? Then I guess you think that poor Mexican immigrants will just spontaneously start producing fine wine when left to their own devices. A good test of this idea would be to look at Mexico itself and see if there are any good wine brands that come out of the country. In reality, there is not a single one, so the theory falls flat on its face, like a Mexican tripping over a grape vine.

Are you unable to differentiate the intangible concept of something like a business or a nation from the tangible concept of a replaceable element in the chain of resource gathering? America was founded by (mostly English) Europeans, for those same people who founded it. The fact that slaves were used in place of mechanized farm equipment in certain industries doesn't mean that the slaves "built" a single thing.

>>944060
America was founded upon the culmination of European ideas that began pretty much all the way back around the time of the death of Socrates. The idea of America is separate from the land of America. It may be a foreign concept to someone from anywhere else in the world, but "America," as a noun, is thought of as an idea here. We don't think of it as a place. We count the entirety of Western Civilization as part of our tradition, and if we went anywhere else, it would still be America. Western Civilization includes ancient Greek philosophy, and also now includes the tradition of Yule from Northern Europe. Not all European civilizations have survived, but I look at America as the utter pinnacle, built with all the best elements of all the greatest civilizations that have risen and fallen in our history.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.