[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we get a surf fishing thread going? I am in baja trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 8

File: images (2).jpg (5KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
5KB, 276x183px
Can we get a surf fishing thread going?
I am in baja trying to figure it out.
Very different from fly fishing which is all I really know much about.
Any tips welcome.
Targeting yellowtail tonight.
Sierra tomorrow.
>>
File: Fishing.jpg (151KB, 1140x640px) Image search: [Google]
Fishing.jpg
151KB, 1140x640px
>>940750

Position yourself next to a riptide, all fish orient themselves according to currents, and a riptide is easy to spot, just look for the foam headed out to sea.

I like to use a sliding casting bubble for distance with a swivel tied 20 feet up the line as a stop to let the bait drop into the strike zone. Squid is usually my goto bait, though anchovies work too. Even mussels can be used with good results if you're by a rocky point.
>>
>>940750
Wade out about chest deep cast as far as you can and then walk back to the beach and wait
>>
>>940750
>Targeting yellowtail tonight.
>surf fishing

Are you guy that made the other baja posts? I'm the guy that responded about spots in that thread.
Are you on the pacific side or the cortez side?

The main baitfish in baja is the sardina. find a bait that mimics the sardina. look for the local pangeros and buy a few baits from them. then try to match your lure selection to the baits you just bought. match the size and color, they both vary throughout the year. right now my guess is olive backs/brown backs, silver white belly.

I use a variety of soft swimbaits, krocs, deadly dicks, pencil poppers, needlefish, loud swimmers, cast-a-bubble and fly, badonkadonks, plastic grubs, soft jerkbaits, hard jerkbaits, bucktails, skip baits and waxwings in the surf in baja. those are my goto baits there.

I highly doubt you will catch a yellowtail
(jurel - seriola lalandi dorsalis) from the surf. try deeper water pinnacles & rises. yoyo, dropper loop baits and vertical jig them this time of the year. (from a panga)

sierra will eat most things shiny and moving fast. as will jacks, bonito, snappers, needlefish and ladyfish. Fish a heavy leader they arent shy.

roosterfish will eat poppers no problem.

toss lures over rocky points and boulder fields cabrilla will smash your lures. button your drag and try to haul them in before they cut you off in the rocks. they are really fun to catch and eat. also always look for structure. buy a pound of market shrimp and use for bait and tipping lures.

what side are you on? what area are you at in bc? fish the golden hours. have fun bro!
I'll be down there for the month in march
>>
File: reading-beach1.jpg (738KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
reading-beach1.jpg
738KB, 1920x1080px
Useful links.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/33733-Reading-the-surf

http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/

>>940922
you chinks always crack me up, nigga axed for surf fishing tips, you say get a boat. JAJAJAJAJA.

And before you say you're not chinks, funny music side of rice...chink.
>>
File: Yellowtail2.jpg (960KB, 2918x2189px) Image search: [Google]
Yellowtail2.jpg
960KB, 2918x2189px
>>940922

It could happen.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (75KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
75KB, 480x360px
>>940940
kek, you niggers always crack me up.
anon asked for surf fishing advise for a fish that is rarely if ever caught in the surf in baja.
I recommended what to use for surf fishing for other species and the option to hire a panga to catch yellowtail because he wont catch one from the surf there.
you posted some gay ass generic john skinner shit on "how to read the surf" not knowing anything about the area you are commenting on, which i see is rather common on these boards. idiots, idiots errywhere.jpeg
And before you say you're not a nigger. you are. funny music, Taco Bell and McDonalds.
fuck off back to /lgbt/
>>
File: Trigger-Happy-Mexicans.jpg (39KB, 499x449px) Image search: [Google]
Trigger-Happy-Mexicans.jpg
39KB, 499x449px
>>940971
of course it can happen but it is rare. Ive done it only 3 times in over 30 years of fishing baja. I can count on my hands how many times ive seen it happen. its rare not impossible.
>>
>>940973
Of course you can't catch shit, you don't know where the fish are.
>>
Surf fishing is mainly about knowing the structure of the beach, going to the beach on a low tide, you can find all the good troughs and gutters and relate them to landmarks on the beach so you can find them.
The beach fishing where I am is usually lousy here as we're in a gulf, but down south at the mouth; pulley rigs with strapped down baits or medium weight metal lures work pretty well for our bigger fish, otherwise you can fish in close with a small sinker and bait or soft plastics in the wash.
Pretty fun desu, but if you goto a beach that's lacking in structure or you don't know how to find it you'll be wasting your time fishing there so do your research/scouting first!
>>
File: 1485282499653.jpg (98KB, 700x897px) Image search: [Google]
1485282499653.jpg
98KB, 700x897px
>>940994
I normally apply all of that when surf fishing but.. there are tons of beaches in baja that dont have the wave action or tidal rips to create the troughs and feeding paths which are common on most beaches we know.
knowing where he is "surf fishing" would help. my guess is he is near cabo if he is mentioning yellowtail in the surf (or he is meaning yellowtail snapper which are usually always around the rock reefs)
there are king tides happening, baja was just slammed by storms and flooding. It is doubtful yellowtail will be in the surf. if you are aware of mexicos waste disposal and what happens when storms slam their coast you will know what happens to the fishery as well..
I wish him luck.

>>940982
>you must not like fried chicken

kek'd
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.