[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long would it take me to hike an 830-mile route in Scandinavia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

File: 78e4e89a57c861a4.jpg (357KB, 1012x995px) Image search: [Google]
78e4e89a57c861a4.jpg
357KB, 1012x995px
How long would it take me to hike an 830-mile route in Scandinavia (cold, dry conditions)
>>
File: 1446361787565.jpg (43KB, 465x465px) Image search: [Google]
1446361787565.jpg
43KB, 465x465px
>>936941
ca. 1 hour if you hike 830 mph
>>
>>936941
It depends
>>
>>936962

Give me a ballpark figure
>>
>>936941
Not less than month, no more than three. If you're pic related, then you (are autist and) get raped and killed by tanned Swede quickly...
>>
>>936941
That's about half the distance of the PCT. The PCT can take anywhere from a couple months to six.
The typical hiker in decent shape if very determined and not carrying excessive gear can do 20-30 miles per day. If it were me, I'd do 10-15 miles on most days, and stop for a day or two every time I found a good place to fish.

So why would you be doing this? To prove you're a badass thru-hiker, or because you enjoy being in nature and want to take the time to enjoy it?
>>
>>936941
>Scandinavia
where? terrain varies highly for county to country
>>
>>936989
>>936984

Iceland, I want to hike Route One (road that goes all the way around the island). I could either get a bus ticket and travel X miles per day and camp, or hike it.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170108-160622.png (471KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170108-160622.png
471KB, 480x800px
>>936941
Only as long as it takes me to catch op pic related by the golden locks and drag to cave for upgrade.
>>
>>936965
Aroumd 15000 football fields
>>
>>936941
You can average around 10 to 15 miles a day. 20 miles is probably the most you'll want to do in a day and you'll need some lighter days or rest days. Or days where the terrain is tough so you get so far.
My guess is 2 to 3 months but it could be done quicker if you pushed and were experienced enough not to have to ask.
>>
>>936994
dude why would you hike route one? it's just the road around the island; biking it would be more fun probably. But if you want to do an extended hike in Iceland, do it in the interior.
Additionally, there's long stretches of road without campgrounds, and I'm decently sure you can't just camp off the road. Get the bus ticket instead.
>>
>>936941
It'd probably take you awhile to die on you're way there. Then you've got to wait for some other weirdo to find you. Maybe your corpse would make it back to civilization after a year or two
>>
>>937267
This exactly.
>>
depends how much elevation change mile to mile as well.

I'd guess 6 weeks. You should be able to average 15 or so miles a day, maybe even 20
>>
>>936965
>he's never hiked before AND he's fucking dumb
>>
File: tmp_25052-p12614891306476482.jpg (67KB, 401x348px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25052-p12614891306476482.jpg
67KB, 401x348px
ITT op isn't do the maths

So how can op be expected to do simple tasks like calculations for fuel consumption, hours of daylight, how much water to carry?

ITT op is a fag destined to die alone on his third night out.
>>
>>937267

The problem with hiking the interior would be supplies (water/food etc). There are no shops on the interior and I'm not very outdoor-savy, so I think route one would be a betetr option.

>>937779

>never hiked before

(You)
>>
>>937909
Maybe.

But I remember that based anon who did it for almost three weeks with his powdered cheese soup mix and such. Crossing rivers of snowmelt and hiking to hotsprings filled with hot, topless Icelandic bitches.

So based Viking anon.
>>
File: RIMG0366.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0366.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>937909
>The problem with hiking the interior would be supplies (water/food etc). There are no shops on the interior and I'm not very outdoor-savy, so I think route one would be a betetr option.
Not a problem, you can send supply packages to various mountain huts by bus. I walked 3 weeks in Iceland and had a great time.
Just prepare packages with food/supplies and send them to your route points. You can do this for a small fee from the main bus station in Reykjavik, the wardens on the huts will keep it in storage for you.

>pic related, the hot pool at Laugafell, fucking great!
>>
>>936984
> 800/2650 = 30%
> 30%
> about half
>>
>>937929
Dude, you're still here.

That was fall in 2014?
>>
File: RIMG0311.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0311.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>937929
Just prepare for being really alone, like last guy on the planet. And for bad weather, I managed to have a snow storm and a sandstorm, both end of July.
Also, hike for the hot springs, a hot bath, clean balls, and bikini chicks are a nice reward for days of heavy lifting.
>>
File: RIMG0338.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0338.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>937933
Summer 2013, but I guess there must be several people here who went to Iceland. The nature is just breathtaking.
>>
File: RIMG0205.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0205.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>937938
>remember, Iceland is not well suited for hammock camping.
>>
>>937940

OP here, please give me as much advice as you can

I'm looking at doing an extended trip this upcoming summer and I'm not sure what to doe exactly.
>>
>>937943
おまえわもしんでいる.
>>
File: sheeps-head.jpg (121KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
sheeps-head.jpg
121KB, 640x427px
>>937943
Ok, it started all with this guy here: http://www.isafold.de/
Run him trough google translate, the info is fucking gold! Especially the trekking routes!
then http://www.nat.is/fjallaskalareng/accommodations_in_highland_Kort.htm
http://safetravel.is/
http://www.nat.is/travelguideeng/bus_stop_the_real_icelandic_old.htm
https://ja.is/kort/?type=map
I first walked the Laugavegurin form Thorsmörk to Landmannalauger, which is pretty touristic (lots of daywalkers) but then the scenery and geology is off this earth.
Then I went for the central highland and the desert of Sprengisandur. I went for the hot springs and huts when I had time. Water is no problem, you'll find a creek or a spring even in the middle of the desert. If you go solo, rent a beacon from https://www.landsbjorg.is/.
Theres off road buses that connect to the bigger huts, you can send parcels to those huts.
Hardfiskur is air dried fish fillets, dirt cheap (by Icelandic standards) 83% pure protein and together with the heavy dark rye bread they make a good iron reserve.
Get good gear, good sturdy tent, good jacket, good rain trousers, the weather can be incredibly rough, and sometimes you won't find shelter or even a rock for miles and miles. If you find a decent spot you likely wanna take a rest and brew some tea. When it is nice weather, you'll get a sunburn quickly, bring sunscreen.
Hot springs are the best, make sure to visit some on your trekk.
The hostel in Reykjavik is decent. If you feel adventurous, try the sheep head at the fast food restaurant at the main Bus stations. Try buying trekking food at home, Icelandic prices are high. Skyr is fucking delicious.
>>
>>937943
I'm going to sleep now, let me know if you got specific questions, but then, I only walked for 3 weeks and seen only a small part of the island.
>>
File: 20170121_120339.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170121_120339.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>937938
No, I felt fall was late in season and am likely wrong in my estimate.

I do remember your op from '13.

With the guy in Ireland long term camping in the quarry, your posts made /out/ with it that year!
>>
>>938099
Thanks man, I got some OC from my Norway trip this year, but so far hadn't had the time for a thread.
>>
>>936941
Bring some rollerblades and have a good time
>>
>>937909
there are lots of rendeers in the wild and while in Lappland they belong to Lappland's people, in Iceland they belong to noone. sooo. catch a reindeer. first hike with it, till it drops dead, then you can eat it.
both problems solved. this is awesome.
>>
>>937935
and especially for rain from the side. that is what iceland can do best!
>>
>>937944
this!
>>
File: matte.png (164KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
matte.png
164KB, 659x525px
>>936941
>830-mile

Are you talking about the english mile or the scandinavian mile?
The scandinavian mile is 10 kilometers.
>>
It would normally take about 20 days but recently you had to start factoring in the delays caused by tan German rape gangs. The good thing is they will probably shit in your face and then kill you on day one so the math is easier
>>
>>937953

Thank you so much for all of the excellent information.

How much money would you estimate the entire trip cost (flights out there, plus all supplies and all money spent out there)? Discounting the cost of the tent and outdoors equipment (of which I have already).
>>
>>938228
>flights out there,
No idea, especially not because I don't know where you are flying from. Book early, like 3-4 months before and you should be good.
You will spend most on lodging in Reykjavik, you'll spend around €20 per night for the excellent city camping and €40 for the hostel.
Bus tickets are fair price, you pay around €12 per hour drive.
https://www.re.is/media/brochures/IOYO-Bus-Schedules-Summer-2016.pdf
Price level is EU average x 2, some stuff is ok pried like milk products, fish or vegetables, but stuff they need to import comes at a markup. Nightlife, Restaurants and Pubs are expensive.
I did prepare my own trekking meals at home, they cost huge at the shops in Reykjavik. I locally bought chocolate/granola bars, trailmix, dried meat, dried fish, crackers, rye bread, sugar and tea as well as gas cartridges for the stove and some whiskey at the airport duty free (on arrival). Divided that equally into 3 stacks, loaded one into the Rucksack and the other two into drybags. Then I sent the bags to huts along my way, payed around €10 per bag.
In the national park you have to camp at campgrounds, that will cost you €18 a night. Off the park you can camp wherever you want for free. You still want to visit huts now and then to pick up your supplies or visit the hot springs, hut wardens usually like hikers and give you the cheapest price they legally can if you only need to take a shower or a bath.
Fresh vegetables and fruits is all you want after a week dehydrated, ask locals to explain you what plants are edible, I learned about a broccoli like flower, great addition to my stews. there is also wild herbs and salads. If you are at a hut, always scrounge for oranges, apples and the like.
Avoid Lavafields in your route planning, no water and extremely difficult terrain. If you go Sprengisandur, bring enough water for a full day. There is lots of mini springs and creeks in the desert to resupply, just watch for the green patches.
>>
>>938250
When the Icelandic road authority says a road is closed, it is fucking closed, like glacier flashflood or volcano eruption closed.

Fording rivers can be really difficult, bring sandals/crocs, learn about fording techniques. There is almost no bridges and you need to ford some broad icy rivers which have quite a current.
Hiking poles are recommended, not only for the fording but every now and then you have to cross snow fields and such. Calculate your daily legs/pace for really difficult trackless terrain.

Bring map, compass, and maybe GPS or beacon, on average the mobile phone coverage is excellent, but then you are all alone in the highlands. Visit every hut, say hello, state name and where you are hiking to.

There is one shop at Landmannalauger, it's the only shop in the highlands.

For the highlands bing a -5°C comfort zone sleeping bag, frost can happen every day of the year.

Usually there is not many bugs, but when there is no wind and you are close to water there can be myriads of gnats, a mosquito headnet and light gloves are a blessing on such occasions.

On the highland routes are many tourists and locals in 4WD vehicles. If you ask nicely you are usually able to hitch a ride somewhere. Also, upon request you can have the highland bus pick you up or drop you off at any place of the route.

I haven't been to the Westfjords, but they must be stunningly beautiful. In the central highland the old horse tracks are pretty cool to follow.

You can get the key for non service huts at the tourist administration, if you pick a remote hut chances are you will have it all to yourself all week.

If locals tell you to keep away from a certain rock formation because its a troll castle, do as they say, shits magic yo!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.