[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How far is it realistic to travel with camping equipment on foot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (57KB, 197x190px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 197x190px
How far is it realistic to travel with camping equipment on foot?

How many miles could I realistically walk with a tent, sleeping back and other bits? My stamina's quite good and I can clock 30+ miles in a day but that's without any equipment.
>>
>>936756
Several hundred people each do thousands of miles every year. Check out whiteblaze and then come back to ask something a bit more specific.
>>
how heavy is your gear? how comfortable is your pack? what elevation? how steep is the trail? how much water is available? how long to you want to be out?
>>
>>936756
How heavy is your pack, moron
>>
On average, when i'm hiking with friends (meaning that you take time to enjoy, cook, have a smoke), here are the statistics :

Bag : 25kgs with water (55.11 pounds)
Mileage : 30 kms a day (19 miles)
Meteo : Mediteranean climate, travel is not impacted by moderate wind, rain, sun etc... Heavy rain, heavy wind or snow obviously slow us.
Terrain : Flat, uphill, medium diferential, sand, rocks, earth, mud, grass.
Duration : Never did more than 2 weeks straight as this pace, but depending on yiour physical condition, it can be followed for way longer.
>>
>>936913
That seems like a pretty heavy bag to me, but I'm a wiry little fucker.

That's about the typical distance and terrain for most thru-hikers, you must be in pretty good shape.
>>
>>936922
Indeed, this bag can seem a little bit too heavy for a 1-2 week near-autonomy hike, and probably is. The fact is that i like too pack extra stuff for training. Despite my relatively good level of hiking and good stamina, I always underestimate myself and think I need to weight train to make sure I'll realize some hardcore hikes one day. This extra stuff give me extra confort, so i believe that is good.
Just believe in your back and a quality bag. I'm really thin as well : 1m99 (6.34in) for 72kg (158lbs) at 24yo.
But I realize that I maybe didn't put enough emphasis on the difficulty of it. I mean this pace is doable, and maintanable over a longer period of time if you are really motivated. My friends and me take time to enjoy the view and all, but when we're walking we are going pretty "rough" and "fast", and obviously finish exhausted at the end of each day.
If a a tense/survival/shtf/anything situation, you could go further, with more weight on your back for a longer period of time, but i'm not sure it is what you created this thread.
>>
>>937100
Oh, not my thread, just a general observation. Still, appreciate the clarification.

I should probably do some actual preperatory training as well, but I only carry about 4lbs in gear, so I hardly notice it.
>>
>>936756
If all of human history is any indicator, 10 miles a day is all you can sustain on a regular basis without your body breaking down.
That allows time for you to break down camp, travel, set up camp again and do chores along the way every day.
>>
>>937117
I disagree, fuck you.
>>
>>936756
I am not fit
and I can carry bag, shelter, food, snivel gear (~40# total) at a 20/day pace for ~3 days
I've tried going longer by having my dog pack some of the weight
but for me I reach total exhaustion after 3 days, so the extra weight my dog can carry does no good
>>
>>937120
Good for you. Have fun.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.