[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time poster, long time lurker. I'm new to this so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1148.jpg (211KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1148.jpg
211KB, 960x960px
First time poster, long time lurker.

I'm new to this so I'm just curious to your thoughts on machetes/hatchets.

Which is best? I understand they have different uses, but if you only had to purchase one. What would it be?

Kukri machete, normal machete, long handle tomahawk, or small hatchet, or just a strong bush knife?
>>
>>935811
Get a cheap one you don't care about damaging or wearing out and go for it.
>>
>>935811
Like he said, get a cheap hatchet
That pic might work for someone just going through a rough week or so of sleep, but I've had insomnia my entire life and always sleep at random hours even when on a camping trip. I can force myself to get up at a certain time, given 39-45 minutes to roll around, but I can't fall asleep naturally at a time of my choosing.
>>
File: becomeonewithnature.jpg (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
becomeonewithnature.jpg
188KB, 1920x1080px
>>935811
What I have learned from trying to answer questions like this is that you base your gear on the environment you are going into, what you intend to do there and what you have to be prepared for. Starting with the gear without considering where and on what you intend to apply that gear will only lead to confusing and uninformed choices.

In the case of bladed tools, most can be used interchangeably for nearly all blade related tasks(with enough creativity and determination), but their specific characteristics are usually a response to a certain common problem or primary intended application.

A machete isn't as good at processing wood as a hatchet, but unlike a hatchet it excels at clearing dense light vegetation. So for jungles, rainforests and swamps a machete would be a better pick, but for most other areas a hatches would be better. If you are going out in a desert you might forgo both of them.

Bush(craft?) knives are typically intended for more precision woodwork, but won't be ideal for processing game, where as game knives are harder to use for woodwork.

All these tools can in some shape or form do what any of the other does, but processing game with a hatchet will quickly become a cumbersome chore, and batoning wood with a game knife will eventually snap it.

So, in summation, a tool can only be the "best" at a given task under a given set of conditions. If context is not specified then there is no metric against which to determine merit. Hence, there is no universal "best" tool for anything. People that claim some tool is the best are either trying to shill shiny crapware or lack /out/ experience in more than one environment.
>>
>>935844
Second.

I live in the PNW, where deadfall makes excellent firewood (and doesn't necessitate tools to process), and while I do know how to build natural shelters, I prefer to carry a bedroll. The only bladed tool I carry is a folding knife.
>>
File: IMG_4222.jpg (139KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4222.jpg
139KB, 800x600px
>>935811
Get a $15 traditional Tramontina. It will serve you good
>>
>>935844
i like this advice a lot.
i live in the lands of pine and oak.
having a machete makes pretty much zero practical sense for me when im camping in my own neck of the woods.

however when i travel to the land of coconut trees you best believe i keep a machete in the jeep.
>>
File: Smoking.jpg (35KB, 396x492px) Image search: [Google]
Smoking.jpg
35KB, 396x492px
>>935837
That sux dude. The first night out is always kinda rough for me (acclimatizing to a new environment, not my usual bed and all that) but after that I sleep like a baby. It's one of my favorite parts of going /out/ overnight, but I guess I would be the one who gets mauled by the bear and you'd be the one running away huh?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.