[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else agree that the "survival/bushcraft" fad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1484343958478.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1484343958478.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Anyone else agree that the "survival/bushcraft" fad needs to die?
The only time these skills get used is when people PUT THEMSELVES in these situations and put it on YouTube.
>If you find yourself in a "bushcraft/survival" scenario, youve already failed.
>>
>>935676
Faggot
>>
>>935676
Anyone else agree this "outdoors/fun" fad needs to die out. The only time its useful is after you've already put yourself in the situation
>>
>>935676
I don't think most people who practice Bushcraft do it for the reasons that you're stating.

I enjoy bushcraft because it's a hobby. I like learning about how I can use natural materials to my advantage. I also enjoy developing the skills associated with Bushcraft. In my opinion, it's a much more gratifying and hands-on approach to enjoying the outdoors.

For example, why spend money on commerically made fire-starters when you can learn the skills nessecary to make a fire using natural, renewable materials?

That being said there are a lot of people who think they're survivalists because they bought a $20 Gerber machete and water purification tablets at Wal Mart.
>>
>>936025
>I don't think most people who practice Bushcraft do it for the reasons that you're stating.
They do it because they saw it on TV or youtube. Monkey see, monkey do. This makes it a fad.
However, the real problem is that this fad encourages irresponsible stewardship of what little we have left of the natural world
>batoning a 6000 yr old bristle cone pine
>building a shelter
>pulling down snags and burning them
Sounds like bushcraft mischief to me. They come with fire, they come with axes. Gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning.

Practice your bushcraft down in the treeline, at your local state park or on private land but leave ecologically sensitive areas alone.
If you are inexperienced, worshiping a bushcraft celebrity, and following a fad, you don't see this side of things.
>>
>>936087
Sure but why did they see it on TV or YouTube? Why did it become popular?

Personally, I've just gotten sick of video games and sitting in my office. I wanted to do something outdoors and independent. Seems obvious. It's not meme lords destroying nature. Destroying nature creates meme lords.
>>
>>936087
I agree.

I practice Bushcraft in a healthy forest in Eastern Nebraska. My doings leave little impact on a constantly growing forest. Most people who practice Bushcraft only use dead materials. I've been fucking around in the woods and I've never killed a live tree or plant.

I agree with what you're saying, though.
>>
>>935676
you seem to think that bushcraft and survival are the same thing, which is false

buhcraft is literally just a hobby you do mostly for fun, like the name implies you craft shit innawoods, there are many other hobbies that are about crafting shit
>>
>>935676
People going out into the woods and cutting down live trees so they can build a shelter that they'll use once when they'll never be more than walking distance to their car is a problem, sure.

But for those of use that only use deadfall to practice skills that we may potentially end up having to use for self-preservation? Totally different scenario.

I pack pretty light and hike days or weeks away from the nearest road. If I were to get caught in a storm, misjudge the weather or have an equipment failure, knowing how to stay warm and dry or start a fire without normal means could very well save my life.
>>
File: IMG_2081.png (577KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2081.png
577KB, 604x453px
>>935676
Bushcraft is fun. I enjoy creating sculptures deep innawoods, mainly in the PNW. Pic related. You may see them on the television where lunatics make crazy assumptions about them.
>>
>>936152
Some squatcher is going to come across that and shit his pants.
>>
>>935676
>If you find yourself in a "bushcraft/survival" scenario, youve already failed.

or just damn unlucky.
>>
I go out as part of my other hobbies, shooting, camping, hunting, exploring,skiing, so on and so forth. When you spend that much time in wilderness, occasionally things go wrong. I get turned around in the woods at least once a year bad enough that I almost need to spend the night rather than find my way back. Last time was 30km from last cell signal, at least as far from any occupied building through dense woods. It hasn't happened yet, but knowing "bushcraft" skills has always put me at ease for those times.
>>
File: IMAG0172.jpg (4MB, 3808x2144px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0172.jpg
4MB, 3808x2144px
It's fun and constructive, you need some creativity in your life, Op
>>
File: ent.jpg (122KB, 400x493px) Image search: [Google]
ent.jpg
122KB, 400x493px
>>936087
>They come with fire, they come with axes. Gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning.
you sound like an ent
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.