[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /out/! I have a dream and that is to climb this thing. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: aconcagua[1].jpg (101KB, 590x386px) Image search: [Google]
aconcagua[1].jpg
101KB, 590x386px
Hi /out/!

I have a dream and that is to climb this thing.
The higher place that I "climbed" was a 2100 msnm hill and I know the difference is huge, but I sill want to do it maybe in 5 years or more.

Well, the question is how hard could be to a city guy that goes to gym but never really climb a mountain to do it?
>>
>>935215
Haven't climbed Aconcagua myself, but I have several friends who have, as well as having climbed several 5000m peaks myself, the highest being about 1000m lower than Aconcagua.

A few things about Aconcagua itself
>it's not a technically challenging climb
>unless approached from some specific valley - can't recall the name - it's actually ugly
>you have to collect all your shit (yes, actual shit) in an official plastic bag and hand it back after the climb or get fined
>said plastic bag is prone to tearing, so bring extra bags to secure official bag

About high altitude in general
>you'll probably be fine until ~3000-3500m, after which headache and shortness of breath will occur
>loss of apetite is common as well - stuff your fucking face every chance you get, you WILL lose weight even if you do, and you don't want to fail because you didn't eat enough
>drink even more, you will breathe out more hydrogen at high altitude, leading to dehydration and the classic headache
>many first time climbers resort to Diamox - I did as well - but almost everyone who uses it eventually stops if they continue mountaineering as the side effect are annoying and it camouflages altitude sickness signs rather than preventing them, potentially leading to dangerous situations - a regular painkiller to ease mild discomfort is fine though
>climb high, sleep low, go slow
>get used to walking with a backpack
>if you hit the gym work on cardio, rows, deadlifts or other stuff that really strengthens core and posterior chain
>don't overdress, also, don't underdress
>weather can take very sudden nasty turns
>invest in really warm gloves and shoes, you don't want to lose fingers or toes

Can answer more specific questions if needed.
>>
Bump and a question. What Is the apeal of climbing this high mountain? Is it just the thrill of doing something very hard or something else? For me, as an amateur outist I see no reason to put myself thru it.
>>
>>935237
Not easy to describe, but it's a combination of various elements
>you're /out/
>scenery is often amazing
>to add, it dwarfs you like nothing else can
>varied vegetation and environment
>them mountain sunsets
Everything is just more awe-inspiring to me. Also, it's a challenge and, potentially, an accomplishment like few you're likely to achieve during your lifetime. You have to be able to cope with discomfort to enjoy it. Much like bing sick for a while, then suddenly experiencing a massive natural high. Ive tried and done my share of things, but It's the only thing that can give me an endorphin rush. Also, the walk back down. Read some Reinhold Messner if you want a better understanding, I'm being too short and concise to really convey how it is. I personally never got it either until I actually did it.

Wish I had some pictures on this laptop.
>>
>>935243
Well that was nicely put. Kind like finding pleasure in mastering something hard, I can relate to that. For me personaly the best thing is finding a forest without trails and just walk around, maybe find a nice view and just chill in the silence of the woods, with no people around.
>>
File: 1467802101723.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1467802101723.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>935294
I can relate to that - the calm does it. Mountaineering just adds the awe and a certain feeling of peaceful insignificance to that for me.

Pic is from last mountaineering venture. Phone cannot into turning it.
>>
Thank you very much! I didn't think about the food and water thing... After that simple and obvious thing I know that I should learn a lot before even contact a guide to try it.

I will save your post a make some manual with all the info that I got
>>
>>935365
walking up a hill=/=mountaineering

to n2 mountaineering you need technical and/or mixed terrain.
>>
>>935678
Just a pic from an acclimatisation hike on a 8 day summit - only pic I have on my phone. Lost phone with pics on.
>>
File: do people really do that.jpg (44KB, 361x391px) Image search: [Google]
do people really do that.jpg
44KB, 361x391px
>>935853
>>
>>935237
Not trying to be a dick but it's usually an inner drive that you either have or don't have.

There's a huge appeal to me to climb mountains but not everyone has that same desire.
>>
>>935657
Keep in mind I only scratched the surface, there's a lot more. I recommend you use the next few years to gain some first hand mountaineering experience. Altitude does funny stuff to your system, and you should know how you respond in such circumstances.

>>936047
Why would I lie? There's nothing to gain in it for me. Anyway, if you want to verify, pic is Elbrus north route base camp valley, taken from approximately 43°25′58.51″N 42°31′40.58″E.
>>
>>935215
If this bug-eyed goblin can do it with almost no preparation then I'm sure you could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYCODMuoHNI
>>
>>936196
>with almost no preparation
That is not true. That faggot has a lot of preparation (in other areas, maybe).
The thing interesting is that he did it without a guide, that it seems is not a great idea for a guy that never climb a mountain.
I need all the info that he got and he don't share it in the video
>>
>>936182
>Why would I lie?
i don't know why people estat. but they do.

but elbrus looks pretty cool. go with a tour, or part of an independant team? climb anything else similar?
>>
>>936741
>i don't know why people estat. but they do.
Fair enough.

Anyway, went with a tour, all the interested members for an independent team I know had decided on Ama Dablam in Nepal/Lenin Peak in Kyrgyzstan/were working in Iceland. Tried Kazbek (twice - bad weather and hip injury respectively) and Tetnuldi (bad weather) in the Caucasus, but other than that only a few small 3000m peaks and Kilimanjaro, neither of which compare to these Caucasus summits. Was very tempted to join the Ama Dablam team but went overlanding on a motorcycle in West Africa and got stuck there. Have my eye on Kazbek still, and Lenin Peak as well as the other 7000m Soviet Snow Leopard peaks. We'll see.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.