[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So just heard that Canada's opening all its parks up. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: iu[1].jpg (17KB, 815x464px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
17KB, 815x464px
So just heard that Canada's opening all its parks up. How can a city-dweller (Toronto) who's never been camping make use of it? Can I get some complete beginner advice. Anything is helpful desu: where to visit, how to travel, minimum gear req, what gear to get, etc.

And how are you using it/where are you going or have went?
>>
>>934767
Not all parks just national parks. So there's like 2 or 3 in Ontario, closest is about 2 hours from Toronto.
>>
For camping you can go all cushy style or you can go full Rambo or anything in between.

When camping in the parks you'll basically be renting a designated camp site. (I imagine they are just waiving the park entry fees) So it'll have nice groomed ground for you to park a camper or pitch a tent along with usually a picnic bench and a fire pit.

Rule #1 bring your own water. Most camp grounds have water outlets but the water is all silty.

When you factor in drinking water cooking water and water for cleaning stuff you can easily go through 1 or 2 gallons of water a day.
>>
>>934793
If you are park camping in a cushy family-friendly campground I'd say minimum gear:

-bug-spray (and even with it you are going to get eaten alive)
-Sun-screen(assuming you'll be going in the warm season).
-Sleeping bag; weather rated for the expected temperature range.
-Air mattress or sleeping pad. (if you are a newbie, an air mattress would probably be best.)
-Matches
-Cordage (like rope, jute, paracord, etc. Marine rope and paracord are best cord)
-Wood (parks don't allow outside wood so you'll be buying it there anyway if you play by the rules)
-Fire starters (like those little cardboard square ones)
-food
-water
-Lawn chairs
-Tent (obviously)
-Tarps
-Comfy footwear if you want to walk any hiking trails
-A survival style knife.
-Camp stove. (it'll cost you an arm and a leg if you plan to cook everything over a log fire)
-Proper fuel for that stove.
-A cooler
-Clothing for all possible weather related contingencies.
-First aid kit
-A good full brim hat. There's two kinds of people on a hiking trail. People wearing hats, and corpses.
-Some method of carrying water with you if you go wandering around. Even an easy hike on a hot day, you'll go through water like a MF. For an afternoon hike I always bring a 2 gallon canteen full of nice cool fresh water, so I can rescue all the fools I encounter who thought a little sippy cup was going to get them all the way. And salty snacks to go with it. Because if you are going through water quickly your body will also be losing electrolytes. I like to bring a few tins of herring with me, but if you aren't strong enough to fight a bear you might want to pick something less smelly.
-Cookware. All I bring is an iron skillet and a 1 quart saucepan. It's all you need really.
-Plates/utensils/etc.
-Paper towel
-Hygene stuff, stuff you would pack for any road trip etc.

If I missed anything others feel free to chime in.
>>
>>934809
M8, that's not minimal gear at all. Are you setting up a base camp for 3 months or something?

It's very simple. You just need to fulfil your physical needs to a reasonable level. Essentially you need shelter , food and water. What and how much to bring is all based on how comfortable you want to be. The most comfortable being at home and the least comfortable is really cold and hungry. Find your middle.
>>
>>934895
Hes talking about being a city slicker camping for the first time. He clearly has no intention of living off grubs and wiping his ass with leaves.
>>
>>934809
Holy shit. Don't forget the generator, satellite dish and television, you don't want to have to actually feel like you're outside.

>>934767
Start small, take what YOU think YOU need since you know, you're going to do that anyway. After a couple trips, cut back on what you carry so that you can carry it further, see more stuff that fewer people get to see. Practice practice practice, eventually you'll get to the point where you don't think twice about carrying nothing but a bedroll, a knife and a few days worth of food when you hike 50 miles deep into the woods to go hang out at the lake for a month of fishing.
>>
File: 1482763727339.jpg (70KB, 661x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1482763727339.jpg
70KB, 661x1024px
>>934895
>>934912
To defend that poster, I go to a park named "Sibbald Point" here in Canada, and compared to the shit other families bring that is very minimal gear. Remember that not all parks are your open-land parks. There are lots of very controlled ones here (mainly talking about Ontario since that's where I live) that limit you a lot due to preservation.
>>
>>934767
https://www.parkbus.ca/
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.