[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start a Homestead with the prospect of growing it into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

I want to start a Homestead with the prospect of growing it into a community. My area of choice is near Wien Lake in Alaska, there is a piece of land 4.85 acres for sale for about $3,500.

Logistically speaking how would I go about making this into a homestead and potentially growing it into a community of people (not including recruiting people to the little community).

This has been a fleeting thought in my mind for a few years, I want to start thinking about it seriously a few years before I'm actually going to implement it.

Pic Unrelated.
>>
>>933693
>4.85 acres for sale for about $3,500
>In Alaska
Fucking nice. Any pics?
>>
>>933693
Land will be garbage for homesteading if it is that cheap. You won't be growing much without significant investment in other areas.
>>
>>933705
>>
>>933708
Areas such as?
>>
First- make sure you have access readily available(which may be hard in rural Alaska)
Secondly- Communication out, if anything goes wrong, and temporary shelter(tent, camper, etc)
Establish a water supply and filtration.
Third- get /diy/ and build a more permanent shelter.
Then you are safe to move on to luxuries like food supply/farming, income, sewage treatment, electricity, running water, internet, dedicated work structures, more homes, etc
>>
>>933693
4.8 acres is only about two city blocks; not two square, just two total. Even if it were densely forested, that'll have only enough trees to build one decent sized cabin and leave you nothing to burn throughout the winter. You also need to consider the amount and types of food you'll be able to produce with 50F, two month growing season... So, pretty much just turnips.
>>
File: 1412046786573.jpg (47KB, 926x515px) Image search: [Google]
1412046786573.jpg
47KB, 926x515px
>>933693
This thread interests my relevant
>>
>>933972
> luxuries like food supply

preddy shure food is a not a luxury
>>
>>933693
Sees homestead thread... Insta follow.
Just do it! Idk why in 4 chan there are so much faggots that whine about this will be hard and shit. Life is hard if you dont live with your mother and suck on her tits all the time.
I highly suggest exploring the area before buying. Dont buy land where its hard to get water or wood. A running spring would be ideal and a dense wood. Soil is a thing that is important if you want to manage your gardens and not just pick fucking rocks all day... Btw will follow this
>>
>>933693
I wouldn't try it with anything fewer than 20 acres unless you're planning on buying firewood.
>>
>>933693

I too would like to start my own cult... I mean community. Far away where no one can escape.

If your goal is a community, focus on the people, not the land. Good people can work any land. Bad people will ruin everything.

Plan housing lots. Plan septic areas. Plan well water locations.

If you want to be self sufficient... plan what you can hunt. Plan what grows food wise in your climate and soil.

For the community to work you need something to connect over. Weekly meetings. Get everyone together.
You need rules and contracts set out from the beginning.

Have people rotate out, treat some buildings like time shares or vacation spots. Ease them into living there.
>>
>>934509
>For the community to work you need something to connect over. Weekly meetings. Get everyone together.
>You need rules and contracts set out from the beginning.
Nah. Just start a religion and brainwash people. Have giant orgies with their children. Get everyone to commit suicide. Write a book and publish it anonymously. Live the rest of your life a rich man hiding in some third world country.
>>
>>933693
I can't exactly promise to be on board at this point in time OP, but what you're describing is extremely up my alley as far as what I want to do. If you actually do get this off the ground in a substantial way, I'd be more than happy to pitch in. I'm currently working myself into shape and practicing my innawoods and other out skills right now, because I was planning on taking a very long hike in the near future, so I won't be completely useless. Homesteading will definitely be easier if you have a community and not just a single person /family.
>>
Yeah, OP your weather is gonna be pretty hard to cope with. Local temp in Fairbanks AK (close-ish major population point) is -32 degrees F ATM.

From March thru May it will still dip to freezing temperatures, so you'll have to stick to cold hearty plants like greens. Once May rolls around you can attempt other vegetables, but keep in mind that September brings hard frosts again.

Are you going to have electricity and running water up there? It sounds like you won't and that'll make extending your season via starting indoors impossible.

Look into cold-hearty breeds of small livestock and maybe into greenhouses and coops that can help keep shit alive in Alaska winter.
>>
>>933693
I think recruiting people is the hard part OP, the logistics are pretty easy. Most people don't want to meet, let alone live with anyone else from this Mongolian architecture forum. And those that do will likely be a tad bit crazy themselves.

I'd go if you
1. Provide a food source that I can live off of
2. Better laws than my current state
3. A decent fiefdom for myself
4. Most important is a societal dream or goal that even if I don't share I can at least agree with. You can just be some bureaucrat keeping order, I seek purpose.

In exchange I will learn whatever trade you want and bring it to you OP. hopefully in five years one of you /out/ists will actually have started the dream and I'll have an option. Still pretty young, the only thing I have now is experience from a few fights, not much money, basic spanish speaking abilities and 1 year experience fixing and building computers. And a very extensive knowledge of classical world literature from the Bible to the Odyssey to Arabian Nights. Oh God I think I'm useless. All I can do really is swing an axe OP. good luck with your dream.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.