[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any PA campers? I want to go primitive camping, but I dont know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (20KB, 273x184px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20KB, 273x184px
Any PA campers? I want to go primitive camping, but I dont know where/when I can. Also what are camping permits and where can I get them?
>>
>>932909
County? Which area you in?
>>
>>932977
Montgomery.
>>
>>933054
Oh shit me too. I came from lower bucks. Just moved over a county.

Your best bet is to go west. There's a ton of hiking trails that are closer than going up to the poconos. Alternativly, the poconos would be better for camping due to it being more spread out and better views.

If you need to get a camping permit I'm sure there's just an office you'd have to deal with to get a permit.
>>
File: 1453333508413.jpg (646KB, 3120x3436px) Image search: [Google]
1453333508413.jpg
646KB, 3120x3436px
Fellow PA sc/out/ here.

You can dispersed camp in any PA state forest or state Wild area. You don't need a permit unless you have a large group or are staying in one spot for several days. It is a good idea to let the local forest office know you're going though, so if something happens they can find you. Honestly every state forest I've camped in the forestry guys are always really cool.

You can't camp in any game lands, even though PA has a ton of land devoted to game lands. You can camp at most state parks, but have to be in designated areas and pay a fee, and usually be next to RVs.

You can also find spots along the Appalachian trail in PA.

PA has a decent state first site that can tell the rules and regulations of the local state forests near you. Most allow fires unless the fire danger is high. Some certain areas do not allow fires.

Personally I recommend the Loyalsock state forest along the Loyalsock trail. It's a very nice area, but any state forest will work, and nearly all have hiking trails.
>>
>>933077
Area code?
>>933177
>>933077
Thanks for the input. Ill check out Loyalsock.
>>
>>933156
There's also William Penn state forest not far from you, but it's only 900 acres spread over 3 separate tracts.

The Loyalsock state forest is something like 100k acres. The Loyalsock Trail is a grrwt, but challenging trail. This summer I started at world's end state Park, hiked from there on the world's end trail to the Loyalsock trail, which loops back to the park. Makes about a 12 mile loop. There's serious elevation change in the beginning, so be prepared. There's no dispersed camping allowed in Worlds End state park, but it's only a mile or 2 and you're out of the state park, and into the state forest (they run together).

Another nice trail is the Pinchot trail, not far from Wilkes Barre PA. It's a figure 8 loop. You can do the north half, South half, or both. I think it's about 13 miles each loop. Can dispersed camp anywhere along the trail.

The Appalachian trail won't be far from you, why not check that out? I've actually never stepped foot on the trail, this summer I might be though.
>>
There are so many shelters and campsites along the AT in Pennsy. You can camp anywhere along it, but only have fires in pre-existing fire rings.
>>
>>934376
May I ask why?
>>
>>934418
Probably since there's so much traffic along the AT, if peiple made fires everywhere there would be small fire piles scattered everywhere.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.