[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright guys, I like /out/ings as much as anyone, and get innawoods,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

File: DSC_0048.jpg (3MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0048.jpg
3MB, 3008x2000px
Alright guys, I like /out/ings as much as anyone, and get innawoods, sleep in my bivvy and love my dented old trangia.

This said, WTF IS WITH BATONING?

Every time I see Americans (mostly) pull out a knife, ya'll start trying to slam it through a bit of wood.

Aussie here, and our wood is either so damn hard there's no point in this, or it's so soft/flammable/fluffy that this doesn't make sense.

Either way, why? I've put my knife through all sorts of bollocks over the years but it doesn't make sense.
>>
Meme
Batoning is a survival skill for when you don't have the right tool for the job
It's just been pushed in media and YouTube a lot for the last 10 years

I've only used it once when carving a hardwood branch into a bow, didn't use too much force and would not try to split a log with it
>>
It's an Axes job desu
>>
File: Mom don't look.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Mom don't look.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>932864
People are fucking morons. That's the only answer. Americans do it more because they've been subjected to bullshit youtube "survival" channels longer than anyone else online.

>>932865
>Batoning is a survival skill

Complete ignorant lie.
>>
>>
File: solo camp gludsted.jpg (1MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
solo camp gludsted.jpg
1MB, 1500x1125px
for fun :^)
>>
File: Batonning for Dummies.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batonning for Dummies.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
>>932897
It's stupid for processing firewood
But it has a place in crafting for extended survival situations.
I would only baton something that I could carve without batoning, for big projects it reduces the time and energy expended.
>>
File: Rocket Stove - Batonning.jpg (2MB, 4088x3864px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Stove - Batonning.jpg
2MB, 4088x3864px
>>932908
I don't think OP is referring to bushcrafting and 99% of batonning on youtube and online is for firewood. Batonning for fuel isn't a survival skill. It is a retard skill.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 620x430px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 620x430px
I don't get it either. I only have a Mora and leatherman though so I haven't tried

Tbh most of the time I see it done on fairly small logs that you can just lean against a rock and stomp. Way easier technique and doesn't wreck your blade.

Between my bahco saw, Mora and my boot there's not any realistic situations that I couldn't gather plenty of firewood.
>>
>>932864

I've batoned before and I honestly have no problem with it, so long as you're not being autistic with it. I've only ever used two knives for batoning, a Glock field knife, and my primary tool at the moment, the Becker BK7. Thing's a fucking beast, but it's also a huge knife that pretty much doubles as a hatchet. If I don't want to carry my hatchet on me, I will baton. I will only do this with logs that are only 5-6in diameter max. It's a good way to work with wet wood, getting to the inside to make feather sticks and what not.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're not using a reliable and large knife.
>>
>>932899
does it mean there's not reason to add logs the size of your forearm d in the fire after the fire has been well lit?
legit asking since i'm just lurking
>>
>>932864
Burger here, I've never seen anyone baton anything in real life. I'd never even heard of batoning until I came to /out/.
>>
>>932918
I can't stop yelling at batoning but the second one should be called "intelligently planned camping", not survival.
>>
File: Batoning.jpg (3MB, 4088x3864px) Image search: [Google]
Batoning.jpg
3MB, 4088x3864px
>>932918
I upgraded it.
>>
>>932864
It's kind of like ferro rods or debris shelters; it's a good skill to have and should be practiced on occasion, but doing it exclusively is an inefficient waste of time and resources that only idiots and autists would pride themselves on.

As an American myself, I can confidently say that the grand majority of Americans are in fact either idiots or autists.
>>
>>932905
if i remember right, this was actually an intentional stress/breakage test for that knife (vs another). i was impressed as fuark that the knife didnt snap when it had the second stump (repeatedly) thrown on it
>>
>>932864
batoning makes no sense in a lot of different woodlands.
that said: in some places, a large knife and saw is all the cutting tool you need. can process green sapplings, or break down standing dead (wood). think low altitude pine forest with riparian zones

most people are fucking up when they baton, but with good judgement/execution in the right habitat it has a place. clearly that place is not the australian outback- just like i wouldn't try n make a swedish fire torch out in the desert. like most memes it's overused.
your cutting kit should be tuned to the wood, and therefore your biome.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (34KB, 330x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
34KB, 330x400px
>>933009
>>932918
Sometimes the smallness of 4chan blows my mind.

The rocket stove in those images is mine...

......that Dakota fire hole is also mine....

....the MS Paint pic in the Dakota fire hole is also mine....

>>932992
Doesn't matter. There's no survival situation where you need to use batonning to make fuel for a fire. You are better off making a feather stick with the knife to use with tinder to make a proper fire.
>>
>>932905
I want one.

where 2 cop?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.