[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ings with a pipe General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 78

File: IMG_6681.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6681.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Finally getting back to normal again edition
Enjoying a surprisingly warm January night with some Dunhill 965 and a pre-WWII GBD.

Have a bunch of tobaccos I haven't smoked yet, anxious to try them out.

Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections,pics of favorite combos for going /out/, and any questions you might have.
>>
>>930645
Serious fucking question.
Why.
Why does this thread always get posted?
Why the fuck do you need a pipe and
>muh blend
to have a good time innawoods?

Serious question.
>>
>>930650
I guess he feels like holding a pipe and wearing flannel shirts and expensive jeans makes him a better looking man.
>>
>>930650
You don't need it but it's nice, same as basically everything else on this board.

If you don't like pipe smoking then maybe this isn't the thread for you.
>>
Bout to pick up a corn cob and my first bit of pipe tobacco. Weirdly excited. Ex cig smoker but miss having that outside smoke and figured this would be a nice compromise since you don't inhale.
>>
>>930650
>no luxuries allowed
I bet you're fun at parties
>>
>>930650
Fucking drug addicts need to validate and normalize thier addictions.

That's all.
>>
File: IMG_1527.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1527.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>930781
Tobacco is worst addiction. It isn't even fun. Do heroin instead.
>>
>>930788
You are an idiot..
>>
File: IMG_6682.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6682.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>930788
That's because tobacco consumption has been sanitized and "niceified" into oblivion. If you really want to get blasted on tobacco, you're doing it wrong if you think you can get there on store-bought varieties.

This is Nicotiana rustica, aka Aztec or sacred tobacco. It's what the Natives were smoking when they met the white man. All of the native stories about seeing shit while on tobacco are true-if you're using this. It's a very easy plant to grow and very cold-tolerant (it'll grow anywhere in Russia, for example), unlike its more famous and finicky relative. Grown more to produce industrial pesticides now, its nicotine content can be as high as 9% (regular tobacco has 1-3%), so it's strong and overdose is in fact quite possible.
>>
File: IMG_0739.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0739.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>930802
Is it menthol?

But seriously I probably wouldn't even get a buzz. I smoke way too many Newports already. And then I would get hooked on that and eventually go back to Newports and have to smoke 10 packs a day instead of just 3.
>>
>>930802
>industrial pesticides

Yeah, that does sound good.
>>
>>930769
Yes, I am. Thank you for acknowledging this.
>>
>>930809
Well that's what nicotine is naturally, so that's why they grow that variety-because it produces the most nicotine.
All many of those insecticides are is just nicotine dissolved in a liquid solution.
>>
Whatever
Anyway, a Dunhill Navy Roll in my little Zulu-and a little bit of Cutty Sark neat in a red Solo cup-is working wonders on my mood right now.
Almost forgot I have to go into work tomorrow.
>>
File: IMG_6684.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6684.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>931051
And I forgot the pic
>>
>>930704
Good on you anon, but be careful-old habits die hard.
Try to make sure that you're actually not inhaling, otherwise it's like trading filtered cigs for unfiltered.
>>
>>930802
>>930923
Nicotine killing the bees :'(
>>
>>931679
You mean the non-native bees that were introduced by Europeans and started wiping out native species?
Such a shame.
>>
File: pipe.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pipe.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>930645
Haymarket- house blend at Hill & Hill is my favorite.
>>
B A L K A N S O B R A N I E
A
L
K
A
N

S
O
B
R
A
N
I
E
>>
>>930788

kek newport-guy
>>
>>932201
Oh how I wish it was still in production.

I would love to try it, but it uses Syrian Latakia, and that's been unavailable for a while due to their civil war.
>>
File: IMG_6736.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6736.jpg
1B, 486x500px
It's a marvelous night for some Moontrance, in a Meer with a beer at my side.
>>
>>931910
What's it taste like?
>>
>>932289
Yeah, I've only been able to get it very rarely. I managed to get it at Iwan Ries a few weeks ago because for some amazing reason it was actually in stock, so I still have half a tin, but now I don't think anyone has it in stock. Not quite as good, but I think Arango makes a pretty good imitation, though that they call "Balkan Supreme."
>>
>>930704
Just sip on it, don't inhale, take your time and get ready to be comfy
>>
>>935128
Mmmm weed is tasty and leaves you happy, tabbaco tastes like shit & effects ware out the instant you stop
>>
Serious question, are people really this autistic about smoking tobacco?
>>
>>935158
Well anon since you're browsing 4chan you should people can get autistic about pretty much everything.
>>
>>932289
You can still get Syrian Latakia blends. Obviously the civil war fucked production but most major tobacco companies have huge stockpiles. It's not exactly a huge market....
>>
>>930806
If you really want that vitamin N get one of the gawith brown ropes cut off a chunk and chew it lol.
>>
File: IMG_5516.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_5516.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>935296
But that's the problem.
The major brands have some stock yes, but a lot of the famous blends that we know and love-like Balkan Sobranie-came from smaller brands, and their back room is just that-a room. It may be a fairly big room, but they're not Altria. They can and do run out of things.
There's also the matter of substitutions. If RJ Reynolds runs out of one thing, they have substitutions ready so they can still make the Newports that keep Pepsi addicted. But once you get into unique and condimental tobacco strains like Latakia or Yenidje, supplies become much smaller and substitutions may not exist. If you're a small time operator who's focused quality and faithfulness to original blends, it may be years until you can make a new run of one product or another based on what's available.
>>
File: IMG_6747.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6747.jpg
1B, 486x500px
60+-mph winds, torrential rain, hail and tornado watches today
Oh well, at least I can enjoy some backyard birdwatching and cherry mead between bands of awful.
>>
Snuff user here. White elephant is my current fav. Nice big niccy hit.
>>
File: IMG_6749.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6749.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>935158
Welcome.
I see you haven't ventured into a knife thread yet to see how autistic people here can get about sharpened pieces of metal.
At least with pipe tobaccos there are different tobacco varieties and flavorings to experience.

Anyway, on to pic related-trying a new thing in a new thing.
Drew Estate Gatsby Flake in a Kaywoodie-made Monterey.
It's a great pipe that smokes well.
The tobacco is mild but lightly flavored and stays lit all the way down straight out of the tin.
Great stuff if you can find it.
>>
>>935938
Never had snuff.
What do you like about it?
>>
My wooden pipe (all wood) has decided to crack and splinter because it's a piece of shit. Probably just going to order a new one soon. I want something shorter, but I don't really want to pay a lot for it. Something straight stemmed too.

I'll probably just end up getting a corncob pipe in all honesty.
>>
File: IMG_6292.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6292.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>937139
Go for it

For $7 you'll have a pipe that smokes well, smokes dry and doesn't gurgle, doesn't hold a ghost, just keeps getting better the more you smoke it and is available at every drugstore in the land.
>>
File: chrry.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
chrry.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Been Smoking the good Cherry Pipe tobacco, smooth draw and the best damn flavor ive had. Favorite brand is McLintock Black Cherry if you lads can find it.
>>
>>936075
What kind of flavor do you get from it? never smoked any Drew Estate but seen in in my local shops before.
>>
Ayy lads about to smoke some El Niño in a basic cheap corncob while I work on making a pyramid bow.

Just waiting on this goopy shit to dry lol.
>>
File: IMG_6792.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6792.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>938802
Nicely flavored but not overpowering.
It's a Virginia-golden cavendish flake, so it has the rich Virginia flavor at equal strength with the mild sweetness of the golden cavendish. It could be stronger, but then it would get harsh, and DE seems intent on avoiding harshness if at all possible.
I'm not a big aromatics fan-I like tobacco flavored tobaccos-so this is the only one of their blends that really caught my eye. But it's good, and I'll probably have more soon.
>>
A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs, and the black stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless.
>>
>>930704
Smoking a pipe instead of cigs is safer, but it will still fuck up your health and there's always a risk of cancer. If you miss nicotine, it would be wiser to choose ecigs, even if they are kinda gay. It's still better to vape than get cancer.
>>
>>939326
Go home King James I,
Your country now peacefully taxing tobacco, and you are dead.
>>
>>939528
Ahem
That's bullshit you've been spoon-fed by teachers and politicians with an agenda to push.
Let's consult the primary source material, shall we?
>For current pipe smokers, men smoking less than 10 pipefuls per day have death rates very close to those of non-smokers.
>For heavy pipe smokers (10 or more per day) two studies show increases of 15 and 12 per-cent in death rates, but the other two studies show little or no increase.
>The over-all mortality ratio of 1.05 does not differ statistically from unity.
-Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health (1964), page 86
https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/access/nnbbmq.pdf
>>
>>939918
>-Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health (1964), page 86
>1964
>Living in 1964 + 53

They've learned some more stuff since then.
>>
>>939957
Doctors recommended smoking.
Asbestos was used.
>>
>>939957
...such as?
Your citation is needed.
I've already provided mine.
Show us all that you're not just spouting bullshit. We're waiting.
>>
>>939979
Not after 1964.
I quoted the big, bad study that ended all of that. That's the 1964 Surgeon General's Report on Smoking.
THE ONE.
Doctors couldn't say cigarette smoking didn't cause cancer after that.
Yet in that same report, it ALSO said what I quoted above-that pipe smoking isn't associated with a greatly increased cancer risk.
>>
>>937109
Imediate nicotine hit, feels much cleaner as there aren't all the secondary problems from the smoke.

I started out of curiosity but now I find myself wanting a pinch of snuff over a roll up or pipe. It's become my go to.
>>
are there any pipes specifically designed for outdoors? all i could find were old Bavarian hunters pipes
>>
>>940712
"Designed specifically", as in? I don't follow.
If you mean easy to live with while /out/, a cob pipe is about the most carefree pipe there is. If it gets wet, just set it out into the sun to dry. And if you lose or break it, you're only out $7 and a replacement is just a drugstore away.
If you mean wind resistance, just about any pipe can deal if you put a $3 wind cap onto it.
>>
File: IMG_6811.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6811.jpg
1B, 486x500px
My favorite kind of vaper-Bell's Three Nuns, a Virginia-perique blend

The pipe is something of a mystery. The brand name on it is Baccarat, which doesn't seem to exist. To add to the mystery it's drilled like a Peterson system pipe, but in a shape that Peterson never seem to have offered.
Since I got it used it was plugged up with all sorts of goop, but fifty alcohol-dipped pipe cleaners later it's all clear again and smokes just fine.
>>
File: IMG_6825.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6825.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>940712
There's pic related, also known as a "hurricane pipe"
The pipe has a built-in windscreen that covered up the bowl of the pipe, keeping water spray away from the embers and wind from blowing hot ashes everywhere.
They were very popular with sailors for obvious reasons.
>>
>>937139
corn cobs actually shit all over briar pipes search your hearts you know it to be true anons
>>
>>943166

I sincerely love my briar, but this $7 Missouri corncob is excellent for the money. Also, meerschaum master race.
>>
My collection:
MM cobbit wizard
Medico churchwarden circa 1970s
Peterson bulldog (Xmas gift from the wife)
MM Washington (spare in case someone else wants a smoke)
MM model unknown. My first pipe.
MM great Dane
>>
>>943896
I forgot the other briar. It's a 1920s era comoys offshoot, "the bohemian pipe"
>>
>>930650
IT'S NOT A BILL OF NEEDS ANON
>>
>>930806
Nice yo-yo
>>
Hey out, gonna get me a concealed carry piece and pipe for the 21st birthday, any recommendations on pipe and pipe accessories?
>>
>>943920
Missouri meerschaum pipe, 3$ Czech tool, pipes cleaners. Maybe a little pouch to carry shit
>>
>>943922
Does one of those crown royal felt bags fit about right?
>>
>>943923
It should work. I have a million of those that I use for d&d dice. They should manage to fit a small tin of tobacco as well as extras. If you do that and end up getting a nicer pipe, I'd make sure the pipe is wrapped in another smaller pouch so it doesn't get dinged up
>>
>>943925
Right. Any packing advice? I did loads of research but it was half a year ago lol.
At any rate, more info is always better
>>
>>943929
Packing your pipe? The old standard is fill then lightly push, fill then medium push, fill then hard push. Like shaking hands with a baby, mother, then father.
For me, it's more about feel though. Do what feels right an smokes well for you
>>
>>943932
Sounds great man, thanks.
Got a specific blend you like?
>>
>>943976
The missouri need blends arrive actually really good. I have some great dane and country gentlemen that I enjoy quite a bit. If you have a local brick and mortar store, head there and see if they have any house blends
>>
>>943983
I live in Humboldt county CA, everything here about smoking, and I mean everything, is about weed
>>
>>943929
I don't even pack anymore.
What I do is just fill my pipe loosely with tobacco, shake it and top it off.
I never could get the hang of packing the way people say you're supposed to. No matter what anyone said, I had more problems and more frustration with keeping my pipe lit due to packing too tightly. I'd go through a whole pack of matches on one bowl.
And the answers I always got were like the other guy said-"it's a feel thing."
That answer doesn't work for me.
I'd rather just take 5 seconds to fill my pipe and have perhaps one relight in the next 30 minutes than take two minutes packing it and have to relight every two minutes for the next hour.
The big thing I learned was pack looser and smoke slower than you think you need to. You can always tamp down a loose fill later, but loosening up a tight fill usually means dumping the tobacco into something like your hand and putting it back in-that's not as much fun.

Anyway, if you want a clear, effective method to pack a pipe that smokes well all the way down with minimal fuss, try the Frank Method, detailed here:
Part 1: http://youtu.be/kJP0JaNRw6Q
Part 2: http://youtu.be/9U5QbtyNxhA
Part 3: http://youtu.be/OMtHOAiO8CI

I don't use it as much now because it takes more time than I'd like to pack my pipe, but it certainly works.

>>943976
As for blends, try whatever catches your eye. Lane 1-Q (only available in bulk) and Captain Black are decent, widely available aromatics. Carter Hall and Half and Half are decent, widely available non-aromatics, Dunhill 965, Three Nuns, and Cult's Blood Red Moon are all great premium blends of various types.

Go nuts, seriously. There are literally thousands of blends out there, from mild to strong, common flavors to exotic artisanal tobaccos, legendary pipe blends to things that taste like cigarettes and everything in between.

>>944216
Go to a website like Pipes and Cigars and get a sampler pack that catches your eye.
And pipe cleaners.
Always pipe cleaners.
>>
>>944216
This sounds crazy, but develop a relationship with that guy. Chances are theyll stock the good stuff if they know what it is, but there's just so much to choose from there's almost no way to know where to start unless someone who does it tells you what to look for.
So start sampling and then ask if he can get some of the blends you find out that you like. Steer them toward some of the premium blends and good pipe brands and I bet you'll start making that place a nice little pipe shop before too long.
>>
I often smoke a pipe while fishing or hunting.
Goes great with coffee boiled over the camp fire.
Favourite pipe Peterson Aran x220
and my all time favourite blend is Peterson 1865
>>
>>943896
damn dat long stem corn cob is sexy, bet it smokes really good
>>
>>945535
Smokes nice and cool, but goddamn, the bowl is huge. If I fill it to the brim, it's easily an hour+ smoke
>>
>>945542
where´d you pic it up if you dont mind me asking, might be in the market for exactly that
>>
>>945548
The missouri meerschaum website. Runs for 18$ I think. Once payday hits, I'm thinking of buying the dagner poker
>>
Taking out some capstan navy cut during some flurries. Anyone else like smoking in the snow? Feels so serene
>>
it takes me forever to get thru a pouch, how do ya'll keep it fersh?
>>
>>945814
Mason jar son
>>
>>945681
with the smoke there it looks like your hair is on fire haha

good day
>>
File: 1383674076501.gif (1B, 486x500px)
1383674076501.gif
1B, 486x500px
How do you keep from leaving teethmarks on the stem when holding it unsupported from the mouth?? fuck
>>
>>945945
i stopped caring,
dont have any delusions that im gonna be able to re-sell them some day or something
>>
File: IMG_2669.jpg (257KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2669.jpg
257KB, 1280x960px
About to break in my new pipe with some Orient 996, gonna be a relaxing morning brehs.
>>
>>945948
lol same I bought pipes to smoke not an investment.
>>945945
If you're really worried about it you can get those ugly rubber things that go on the end of the mouthpiece to clench, apparently they're cheap but I've never bothered.
>>
>>945945
You don't.
Use your pipe, take it everywhere, and enjoy life with it around you.
That's what will make you treasure it more than anything else.
Not saying you look to damage it, but consider the wear more a badge of usage and being a part of the everyday story of your life. The tooth marks are from the pipe being used and slowly fitting YOU better than it did when it was new.
>>
>>946352
>>946061
>>945948
If only it was the same with all the knife collectors around here...
>>
Rainy night, feeling cheap too, so just some Red Captain in my Missouri Meerschaum.
>>
>>946403
Red Cap*

Damn phone.
>>
File: 20170208_004843.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170208_004843.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
This is the smoothest tobacco I've ever smoked. Im on my third bowl with a cheapo cob pipe and it doesn't burn at all.
>>
>>946500
That's because you're using corn cob best cob
>>
>>930704
Get throat cancer instead of lung cancer.
Nice, anon. Keep it up :)
>>
>>946354
I wonder how much autism will be on display if I ever take a picture of the Case stockman I got as a kid, before I knew they were collectible. I used that thing for boy stuff and now it's got the wear to prove it-blackened blades, sharpening marks all over, worn scales, missing pins and a broken backspring that I'm going to get replaced whenever I get the time to send it back to Case.
The wailing and gnashing of teeth would be epic, I think.
But I don't care, it's MY knife.

>>946500
If you got a MM Legend at a drugstore, you just unknowingly got the best deal in pipe smoking. They are a god-tier pipe at beginner-tier prices. And the more you smoke them the better they get.
>>
>tfw you walk past an old guy smoking pipe
>his tobacco smells absolutely godly
>but your two afraid to aproach and ask him what it is because you dont want to apear a novice
>even though you know a guy like that would love to teach a youngling the ways of the pipe

should i try an aromatic? i hear they taste like blerch but smell fantastic is this true?
>>
>>944536
>>944550
Late to reading it all, but thanks anons.
Will report back in July with a piece and pipe
>>
>>946748
Some aromatics are better than others. All smell pretty decent, but some of the cheaper ones taste like burnt sugar. Go to your local Brick and Mortar and check for house blends
>>
>>946748
Aromatics-even budget ones-can taste As good as they smell, but you HAVE TO pay attention to the basic fundamentals of pipe smoking. Don't pack too tight; don't smoke too fast or draw too hard; make sure your tobacco isn't too wet; fully light your tobacco; tamp more lightly than you think you need to; clean your pipe regularly between smokes. All that stuff they teach beginners? It matters A LOT.
And the more heavily the aromatic is flavored, the more the basics matter.

Do it right with a quality aromatic and you'll know. It quickly gets REALLY comfy.
>>
>>946414
>>946403
How is the Red Cap? I heard about them but the only thing I can find where I am are the 1-lb bags, and I don't smoke enough to make that worthwhile.
>>
>>947119
It's actually not that good as a pipe tobacco. It's clearly a roll your own cigarette tobacco labeled as a pipe tobacco to get around cigarette taxes. It's dirt cheap though, so it is good for a cheap puff. I've read the people will blend it with really robust tobaccos to take some of the edge off, since red cap is pretty flavor neutral.
>>
>>947392
Also, check a gas station or Walgreens or something for it, they usually carry 0.75 oz pouches. That way you're not stuck with a lb of it if you don't like it at all.
>>
>>947119
Go get yourself some captain black royal. Cheap and smells amazing. I've made so many friends while smoking that stuff because people think it smells some damn good
>>
gonna go to my tobacconist tomorrow and pick up a new pipe and a new blend

feels good man
>>
>>948077
Post pics
>>
>>948452
shop was closed )^=
>>
>>930781
What a decent well thought argument.
>>
File: Cwlu3VoXAAUApcm.jpg (20KB, 720x533px) Image search: [Google]
Cwlu3VoXAAUApcm.jpg
20KB, 720x533px
>>930781
>>
>>930802
Why would you ever try to hallucinate of something like nicotine when you can easily buy comparatively safer psychadelics legally online? Serious question.
>>
File: Pips.jpg (2MB, 3173x2565px) Image search: [Google]
Pips.jpg
2MB, 3173x2565px
>>930645
I am very glad to see this poster continuing his Pipe at Night excerpts

Equally that the Hot Pocket mods decided to stop deleting Pipe Tobacco threads while leaving 20-50 knife and bait threads open; this topic gets so much OC, that I think the mods forgot what OC looked like and were fearful

I browse and seldom post with fly fishing information, pipe tobacco information, and whatever else I can help others with; but I have my br/o/'s back when man children want to turn this board into tumblr

I do not smoke daily or even weekly, but there is nothing to compare to the ritual and activity of smoking pipe tobacco

Just received some Maltese Falcon that has been on order since last July as well as some Bijou that was on order for almost a year. I cannot wait to try both and if anyone has suggestions for pairing or which to open first I am all ears

I need to update pic related, new pipes since and always accruing more tobacco. I do mix my own blends primarily and will gladly assist with any questions I see and can assist with!

>>930650
Why do you care so much about 1 thread of 100 that probably has more substance than your "WHAT KNIFE SHOULD I GET" threads

Enjoying pipe tobacco is as outdoors as you make it

>Serious question.
That is beyond passive aggressive, this is 'My wife's son' level right there

>>930781
You should be more concerned about the Russian hackers that fake news keeps telling you about than a few people that partake in pipe smoking

>>930657
/thread for anyone not interested in Pipe tobacco and wants to complain
>>
>>950021
what are the two bottom pipes?
they look absolute gorgeousness
>>
>>950027
The longer ones above the cased 4?
If so, those are Briar churchwardens

Same pipe type as the one above the black leather bag except that Churchwarden is made of Cherrywood bowl and stem

The other Churchwardens are made of Briar for the bowl and acrylic for the stem

Historically, Churchwardens were used by wardens of the Church that required an all night pipe that was long enough to hide the ember while they were on watch

I personally like how they feel in my hand, but if I had to pick my favorite pipe type it would be a bent Rhodesian or Billiard
>>
File: 1487011377171.jpg (2MB, 3173x2565px) Image search: [Google]
1487011377171.jpg
2MB, 3173x2565px
>>950043
theese
>>
>>950050
Yes those are the Briar Churchwardens
>>
>>950052
but, where did you buy them? not trying to figure out wha a church warden is, i know that, but what brand are those? who made them? brand or maker?
>>
>>950057
Sure thing, it was a promo from pipesandcigars.com a while back and I am looking through their site now and cannot locate them

It was 2 Briar Churchwardens for something under $100, maybe $30 but that sounds too low; brand on both bowls is Casillero and seem to be made in Germany

Any Egg shaped Briar Churchwarden should look close enough, maybe even Apple bowl

I recommend smokingpipes.com instead for better customer service and less damaged tins in shipment

Although I have ordered more from PandC with 20% off every time, I have not been able to beat those prices aside from making ebay offers
>>
Pipe of the night.
Orange Venturi brand "The Pipe" filled with Casey Jones' Last Ride, a cherry caramel aromatic.

If you ever need a pipe for /out/ings and don't want a cob, a Venturi (also sold under the brands "The Pipe" and "The Smoke") fills the bill very nicely. Constructed of phenolic and featuring pyrolytic graphite bowls for most of them ("The Smoke", as a budget line, didn't) they are completely weatherproof, smoke cooler than you think thanks to the graphite bowl, and can be cleaned with soap and water. They cost almost as much as a Dunhill when new, now they sell for $10-20 used. This one is orange, but most of them come in black.
>>
File: IMG_6849.jpg (1MB, 2432x2583px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6849.jpg
1MB, 2432x2583px
>>950315
Forgot the pic
>>
>>930788
I knew you had to be a worthless smack head, no other way somebody could be such a retard.
>>
>>950319
whats it say on the lighter?
>>
File: IMG_6856.jpg (855KB, 1585x2425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6856.jpg
855KB, 1585x2425px
>>950731
Eniwetok Atoll.

It's a souvenir lighter from Joint Task Force Seven, aka the unit that ran all of the nuclear tests out in the Western Pacific in the 1950s. Hence the mushroom cloud and names of all the islands that don't exist anymore.
I'm a huge fan of nukes and the engineering behind nuclear weapons, and this is about the closest I'll get to one in real life.
>>
File: IMG_6857.jpg (748KB, 1717x2543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6857.jpg
748KB, 1717x2543px
>>951171
Here's the front side if anyone's interested.
>>
File: 123654789.jpg (4MB, 2616x2167px) Image search: [Google]
123654789.jpg
4MB, 2616x2167px
Salerno
Rubino
HIS
Michigan meerschaum hardwood
some cheap corncobs for buddies to use

Ive been smoking something called Honey Clover and I really enjoy it. I moved away from harsher Centurian and Friar Tuck a while back and im hooked on the Honey Clover now.

the old converted cigar box is something i made for storing the pipes at home, and I found that leather, felt lined clutch thing at a goodwill, its great for when i take some of them /out/.

Theres really nothing like kicking your feet up near the fire and drawing long on a good pipe. it has to be one of my alltime favorite things to do. Add a full belly and a good drink and im set.
>>
File: ahb[1].gif (45KB, 435x344px) Image search: [Google]
ahb[1].gif
45KB, 435x344px
>>931722
yeah, so both the native species and the exotic species (notably bumblebees have collapsed in recent years) can suffer while the exotic hybridized africanized bee which is resistant can take over every square inch of america as it has been doing for the last three decades

great job anon, you saved us all! Moron.
>>
>>951171
>>951172
thats pretty neat!
>>
>>930650
Serious fucking question.
Why.
Why does this reply always get posted?
Why the fuck do you need to shit post and
>much luxuries
to have a good time on this board?

Serious question.
>>
>>951356
Calm your tits, kid.
There's not much to worry about as far as native bee species are concerned.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170127142923.htm
>>
File: IMG_6864.jpg (800KB, 2442x1818px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6864.jpg
800KB, 2442x1818px
Pipe of the night

Webco Dublin filled with SuperValue English Mixture
I got this thing thrown in with a pipe stand I bought used, and it's a wonderful pipe.
As for the pipe weed, it's one of those things I saw at my local shop, and as I've now had enough English blends to have an opinion on it, I felt I ought to try it out.
The big difference is it's Burley-based instead of Virginia, so it's a cooler smoke with less bite, but at the cost of being less flavorful too.
It's got many of the same exotic tobaccos like Latakia in there, and you can tell they did their homework and modeled it after things like Dunhill 965. It's just not nearly as heavy.
For $5 it's a great introduction to the style, and recommended as a first English blend for beginners to see what the fuss is about.
>>
>>951494
Because it's the same thread, and the same shitpost that you remember from before when you last checked in

This isn't /b/. Things move at a more leisurely pace.
>>
I made thing. Thing holds pipe while fitting nicely on top of the center console of my truck, as was intended. Going on a short camping/trapping trip this weekend, first time smoking a pipe at camp since I just started last week. Looking forward tomorrow sitting on a bank, the sun setting behind the ridge, and watching garr swim back down river. Get a comfy boner just thinking about it.
>>
>>930704
>ex cig smoker
same here, anon. since giving up my pack a day habit a few years ago i've smoked an occasional cigar for the flavor. i tried a pipe once as a cigarette smoker and couldn't get into it, but i've ordered a "starter" kit and am going to get into pipe smoking. i'm drawn to it because of the smells and flavors, the contemplative aspect of it, the ritual involved in it.
>>
>>944536
>keeping my pipe lit due to packing too tightly
use a very thin nail and poke a hole to the bottom. it works extremely well and is great while learning to pack it just right
>>
>>946059
Nice looking pipe. What is it?
>>
File: 20170218_184309.jpg (2MB, 2120x1885px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_184309.jpg
2MB, 2120x1885px
Bought my first pipe online and it feels too small. Did i fuck up or are they all this small?
>>
>>953698
Way too small.
But I think you knew that already.
Go get you a cob from a drugstore if you want a normal sized pipe to try.
>>
File: th.jpg (9KB, 122x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
9KB, 122x300px
I personally favor Yello-Bole products
>>
File: IMG_6878.jpg (2MB, 3244x2028px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6878.jpg
2MB, 3244x2028px
Pipe of the day

WWI-era pipe filled with 965.

It's a small thing that's looks like it was the personal pipe of someone's great-grandfather. It's got words hand carved around the rim and the celluloid mouthpiece is deteriorating. But it doesn't hurt the experience; if anything, the wear spots actually make it more comfortable. Clenching this pipe is exceptionally easy thanks to the two worn through spots on either side of the button.
Nevertheless, I'll probably get it repaired. With a new stem this thing will be good for another 100 years or so.
>>
File: 20170220_134757.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170220_134757.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I braved the increasing rain to taste this Peterson Irish flake

Really deep dark rich taste. Not easy to keep lit but that may have more to do with the gods watering their yard then the tobacco.

Really packs a punch. Probably best enjoyed after a full meal (and sitting down)

Gonna be great for sitting next a campfire after a meaty stew or something. Maybe with some whiskey in the cup.
>>
>>930650
because it's /comfy/
>>
File: 20160218_162005_zps6ih4zy8x.jpg (311KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20160218_162005_zps6ih4zy8x.jpg
311KB, 1024x768px
is a meerschoum really worth it?

im looking at this strambach bent billard
>>
>>954688

I enjoy them, but I only own one. They're deceptively light which surprised me at first, but I grew to love them. The main boon from the material is that you can smoke and smoke and smoke and not have to take a "cool down" period you'd have to for briars and cob pipes. So it's good for that. The aesthetic is nice, but they are marginally weaker and may not survive a drop from face height if it's still hot etc etc. There are tons of good guides to meerschaum with do's and dont's.
>>
>>954728
>There are tons of good guides to meerschaum with do's and dont's.
please post them
>>
>>954735
http://pipesmokersforum.(com)/community/threads/an-idiot%E2%80%99s-guide-to-meerschaum-pipe-smoking-care.15068/

It's basic, but easy enough. Basic other stuff is don't buy it just because it looks cool and know what kind of material it is
(don't buy a pipe made from pressed block which is basically the particle board of pipe material)
>>
>>951172
>>951171
That is so fucking cool.

I love how out is one of the slowest boards but has some of the best content.

Also keep it up op, I don't even smoke yet but I love reading these threads and intend to pick up the hobby when I'm not dirt fucking poor.
>>
>>954688
Also this one if you're still here.

http://www.puff.(com)/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/45608-meerschaum-pipes-beginners-guide.html
>>
>>954737
>don't buy a pipe made from pressed block
why?
>>
>>954754
It's weaker in general and usually* more cheaply made and with less care. Pressed block can crack more easily etc etc. It magnifies all the problems meerschaum has. You're going to see that a lot in flea markets and on "bargain pipes".
>>
>>954754
Because it does none of the wonderful things people love about meerschaum.

Real, aka block meerschaum is light, naturally absorbent (put a drop of water on the surface of the pipe and it will disappear into the pipe), smokes dry and colors naturally as it is smoked.

Pressed meerschaum is heavy (it's made from meer dust held together with some sort of epoxy like binder), not absorbent or inherently dry smoking, and it doesn't take on color.

That's not to say pressed meer can't be made into good pipes-it certainly can. Good engineering will prevail no matter what material is used. It just doesn't behave like real meer, is less esteemed by smokers, and thus commands (or used to, before Turkey banned export of all raw block meerschaum in the early 1970s) a lower price at resale.
As to the meer above, Strambach is a very good brand don't get me wrong. But they're hamstrung-without legal access to real block meer they've been relegated to making do with what is essentially a second-rate material while native Turkish carvers can thrive with first class block.
>>
File: IMG_6915.jpg (1MB, 2446x2704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6915.jpg
1MB, 2446x2704px
>>954739
Go for it.
You don't have to drop a lot of cash to get into it.
A Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob pipe gives god-tier smokes, yet costs just $7 and is available at your local drugstore.
Tobacco: Captain Black (vanilla flavored aromatic), Carter Hall (mild non-aromatic with) and Half and Half (a non-aromatic with a sweet flavor) are all widely available and cost less than $5 per pouch.
A lighter is $1.50
A pipe tool is $3, but you can also use a golf tee or even an old nail for a tamper and pick if you so desire-they're essentially free.
And a pack of regular pipe cleaners is $2

All told, you can get set up and in the game for less than $20. And it all fits into a single quart sized ziplock bag that you can take anywhere.
Pic related is mine. I found an old carriage bolt that makes for a first-class tamper.
>>
>>954834
>and it doesn't take on color.
is this really true? theres a boatload of pictures of that strambach pressed meerschoum models that has taken on collor
>>
>>954834
This guy does his homework
>>
File: 4381b.jpg (60KB, 800x266px) Image search: [Google]
4381b.jpg
60KB, 800x266px
im considering this churchwarden because i dont own a churchwarden yet,

here are the specs
Length: Aprox. 26 cm.
Weight: 40 grams
Bowl height: 5 cm.
Chamber, inside, diameter: 20 mm.
Chamber, outside, diameter: 3,4 cm.
Chamber depth: 39 mm.

does this seem within reason? general thoughts on churchwardens? are they just a gandalf meme?
>>
File: 4382g.jpg (100KB, 800x492px) Image search: [Google]
4382g.jpg
100KB, 800x492px
>>955181
or perhaps the rusticated version as i dont own a rusticated pipe yet either hah!
>>
>>953698
>buying a child's pipe
>>
>>955181
Good pipe for reading, you will get some weird looks for it though.
>>
File: 1484027978590.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484027978590.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>954890
Thanks for the suggestions.
How do I avoid buying shit tier cigarette tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco attempting to avoid taxation?
>>
>>955240
just go for recommended brands, like dunhill, frog morton, lane 1q is a great beginner smoke
>>
>>955233
>you will get some weird looks for it though.
i already when i smoke my Falcon or a corn cob so whats the difference in the look?
>>
File: 16512.jpg (79KB, 800x274px) Image search: [Google]
16512.jpg
79KB, 800x274px
considering buying this estate pipe from my local tobacconist. great condition and price but ... that stem ... is it really as bad as i think? so far ive only had black stems .. what your input?
>>
>>955288
and i dont mean the coloring on the meerschaum
>>
>>955288
>>955289
comes with a case, about 60$ bear in mind all tobacco related goods prices are ridiculously inflated here
>>
>>955288
Just based on looks alone I wouldn't get it to smoke in public, but it isn't bad looking or anything. If it's a good price I say go for it.
>>
>>955294
im really tempted to pull the trigger, but that stem man, ... it would be my first meerschaum, maybe i could buy a new stem anyone have experience with that?
>>
File: f5j6.jpg (9KB, 720x533px) Image search: [Google]
f5j6.jpg
9KB, 720x533px
>>955307
>>
so, ligthters.
is it worth the steep price to get a "pipe" lighter? i use matches right now
>>
>>955337
imho, no. i don't smoke in windy areas so a match is perfect fine. plus, i go between cigars and a pipe so rather than keep two different lighters i just use matches.
>>
I recently picked up on pipe smoking. My local tobacco shop will special order anything I need. Lately I've been smoking John Middleton tobaccos, decent price and I like the flavor. They've got a bunch of MM cob pipes as well.
>>
Does anyone here order tobacco from any online sellers? I've found a few deals on different sites, but I'm not sure if any are reputable. My main concern is being sent old, dry tobacco
>>
>>955400
Same question ish

Anyone here know of any good tobacco shops in Hawaii or know of any good places to order from that has its still be fresh by the time it gets there?
>>
>>955260
Dunhill tobacco is mediocre honestly. Frog Morton is fucking delicious though.
>>
File: 20170221_192605.jpg (909KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20170221_192605.jpg
909KB, 2064x1161px
Anyone here historic /out/? Clay pipe masterrace.

>>930802
You forget to mention that heritage strains also cause you to violently purge... Both ends.
>>
>>955430
While I agree it is mediocre, it's a well known brand and consistent in quality.
>>
File: IMG_6921.jpg (120KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6921.jpg
120KB, 600x450px
>>955119
I can't talk about Strambachs in particular, but generally meers take on coloring because tobacco tars are absorbed into the pores in the material. With pressed meer, those pores are full of the binder holding it all together. So it can't take on color naturally.
Pic related is how a natural meerschaum usually colors. It starts where the pipe comes into contact with the most smoke-the stem and bottom of the bowl-then slowly progresses to the rest of the pipe over time as tars accumulate in the material.

One other thing I forgot to mention that is key to enjoying ANY new meerschaum is to swab out the stem with a pipe cleaner first. Factory-fresh meers can have some stone dust left over in the stem from drilling, and that is no bueno. Just a wet pipe cleaner or two before the first smoke and you're good to go.
>>
>>955184
>>955181
They're part meme and part not.
Back when pipes were clay, a longer stem cooled the smoke more and gave you a place to hold the pipe that wasn't on the red-hot bowl. That phenomenon still happens with briar pipes, but since briar is a better insulator than clay, you can almost always still grip the pipe by the bowl or just at the base of the stem. So the practical need for a longer stem isn't as great.
They still have their proponents. Some people love them to the exclusion of all others, others got into them because of the meme factor. They had become quite a niche thing until LOTR brought them back, and to say those movies had no effect is just silly.

If you like the look of them and want to try one, go right ahead.
>>
>>955534
>Back when pipes were clay, a longer stem cooled the smoke more and gave you a place to hold the pipe that wasn't on the red-hot bowl.

like >>955431?
>>
>>955240
Look at what you're buying.

RYO-like tobacco is very finely cut, very dry and comes in big bags with flavor names more akin to colors (red, gold silver, green, blue, etc).
Pipe tobacco is generally cut chunkier, moister (depending on the brand and preparation it can range from quite dry to almost wet) and the flavor names are either more recognizable or more descriptive (vanilla, cherry, black cavendish, buttered rum, amaretto, English, Balkan, etc).
>>
>>955544
Yes indeed.
I have a clay pipe. It smokes very true. But you only have to make the mistake of holding it by the bowl once. After that, you'll hold it by the stem.
>>
>>955431
Is that you, Gropey?
>>
>>955400
I've ordered a couple of times from pipesandcigars.com.
I've always received good, fresh stuff and they're always running specials on one thing or another.
>>
>>955556
They're one I've actually looked into. Compared to some other sites their prices are quite reasonable.
>>
>>955431
havnt been able to find one and i dont buy things over the internet
>>
>>955288
I just can't shake the feeling that the mouthpiece looks like someone jizzed into a glass of flat Coca-Cola and the somehow froze it and made it a mouthpiece
>>
>>955337
I have a couple and find they never work quite as well as I want them to.
For me a plain old Bic works fine 90+% of the time, and matches cover the rest. And both are much cheaper than a pipe lighter.
>>
>>955288
Finally got my potato phone to get me a good look at the pipe and stem.
It's not that bad. Likely acrylic with some color in it to make it look vaguely like shell. It won't be as comfy to clench as a vulcanite (black) stem, but it also won't wear nearly as much over time either.
If it's the pipe you really want, get it. If the stem is a deal breaker, pass. There are literally millions of pipes out there, so you can afford to be choosy.
And if you do get it and don't like the way the stem feels, you can always take it to a pipe repair shop and have a vulcanite stem made for it. Prices vary, but generally run about $25-30 plus the cost of shipping.
>>
File: IMG_6926.jpg (42KB, 535x398px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6926.jpg
42KB, 535x398px
>>955408
Mason jars and Boveda humidifying packs are your friends here.

Loose tobacco can indeed be dried out by the time it gets to you, but that's not necessarily a deal-breaker. Just drop it in a mason jar, add a regular cheapo humidifier and wait a day or so. Problem solved.

If you buy bulk bags of drugstore aromatic tobaccos, usually you'll have the opposite problem-they're too wet and have a hard time drying out thanks to the stuff they use to keep the flavor on the tobacco. Both sorbitol (sugar) and propylene glycol absorb water from the atmosphere, which makes the steam that bites your tongue.

This is where the Boveda humidifying packs come in really handy.

They're calibrated for different humidity levels and unlike other humidifiers they both release AND ABSORB water to maintain that level. So you stow your opened aromatic tobacco in a jar and then put a Boveda pack in. It will maintain your tobacco at that humidity level and life is good again for as long as the pack lasts.

As an added bonus, many tobaccos get better with some age on them. The little bit of air in a sealed mason jar helps this process along, softening and melding the flavors over time.
>>
>>955553
Work enough with fire and you get used to it.

>>955555
It is indeed. Also >Quintget

>>955591
Unless you live in an area with a big reenacting scene, or purposefully go to a historic event or rendezvous, you're SOL.

Why don't you order off the internet?

>>955337
As >>955625 says, pipe lighters are a waste of time. Just use a bic. Ideally, you'd want wood matches anyways, but bics are hardy, cheap and convenient.
>>
>>955785
>Why don't you order off the internet?
A matter of principle. I don't like how it's costing jobs and killing small towns. If I can't find a physical shop I will likely not buy
>>
>>955790
Ah, well, when it comes to specialty items that I guarantee that you will not find unless you go out of your way to get them, or order offline, you're kinda up shit creek.

I would offer to grab you one, as I literally live down the road from the Williamsburg pottery where they are produced.
>>
>>954307

Enjoying that 965? Smoke two bowls of it so far and have really enjoyed it. Good taste, easy to keep lit and is quite pleasant on a chilly evening.
>>
>>955966
I really am
It's my first experience with Latakia, but it's really nice.
For all the campfire smell in the tin, you get all of these small flavors that just dance. I can see why it's a legendary blend.
>>
>>951171
>>951172
That's really cool.
I did some research and I can't find any of the ones with the same design as yours, they have the same plate and engraving but the top is different.
Where did you get your hands on it?
>>
>>956005
eBay
I went to the Atomic Testing Museum in Vegas last summer, saw a similar lighter on display, and decided to see if I could find one.
After a few months of searching, I found one at a decent price. It was a Zippo knockoff instead of the Ronson knockoff in the museum (which I would have preferred-I love old Ronsons), but I decided it was good enough.
>>
Thoughts on rustification and or natural edge pipes?
>>
File: img_5492.jpg (111KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
img_5492.jpg
111KB, 640x480px
I live less the a kilometer from thee ocean in flat country. So I get a he'll off a lot of wind. Like no one here wears hats or use umbrellas tier wind.

Does anyone have experience with wind caps? They only opinions I've seen on the Internet are
>lol its never windy here so it's useless lol
>it gets in the way of relighting lol
>lol will this work on my crack/has pipe lol
First two points are valid I guess. But with winds like I've got its not nice for the flavor and makes it burn crazy hot
>>
>>956506
Dont over fill your pipe, and light it correctly/keep it burning.
>>
>>956506
Sounds like you're one of the few who really does NEED a wind cap. I mean, yes it's a hassle to light and deal with, but if hot embers are blowing all around anyway, it's worth a shot to spend $4.
Go find one you like, put it on and report back, because I'm interested in hearing how it works.
>>
File: 1487017987507.png (879KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
1487017987507.png
879KB, 710x842px
>go to two local """""tobacco""""" stores and a drug store to finally pick up my first bag of pipe tobacco
>All they carry is the pencil shavings claiming to be pipe tobacco that's actually roll your own I'm super fucking poor cigarette tobacco
>Nearest actual tobacco store is an hour away
I think I'm going to have to order my first online.
>>
>>956467
Like it. Have a few.
Thing that looks best with them is if there's some contrast in finish between the rustication and the rest of the pipe. If the whole pipe is just the same shade, it doesn't look as good as where the higher ridges or smooth bits are lighter and/or more glossy.
But that's the difference between cheap pipes and expensive ones too-the wood is cheap. It's all the hand finishing that's the expensive part.
>>
>>956594
Oh well. I've been there too.
Are there any drugstores around that carry any pouches of anything?
Something's better than nothing.
>>
File: IMG_6936.jpg (804KB, 2260x2050px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6936.jpg
804KB, 2260x2050px
Pipe of the night
Brewster Rhodesian filled with Erinmore flake.

Brewster was made by Rossi in the mid-60s for a promotional offer from Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco.

The Erinmore is a nice full flavored flake with a nice fruit flavor to it, but not quite an aromatic. It reminds me of a less heavy Royal Yacht. Very comfy.
>>
>>956609
Shit, never mind. Skipped over the second part of your post.
Good luck man.
>>
>>956594
I feel your pain, anon. I placed an order online last week and now it turns out the company changed warehouses and all their shipments are delayed. I should already have my kit but it may be another week at least.
>>
>>956587
I'll definitely make a post reporting back when I get my hands on one
>>
I placed an order for some st bruno flake earlier this week. Until then I shall be smoking captain black out of an amphora x-tra.
>>
>>946542
I love your passive aggressive smile :)
I hope your mother gets raped then murdered :)
>>
anyone ever seen any pipes marketed specifically towards hikers and outdoorsmen? could be interesting to see
>>
>>957661
We'd have to be seeing pipes actually MARKETED first, but I get your point.

Missouri Meerschaum has a picture of a guy fishing while smoking a cob on their website, but nowhere else.
>>
this is how i imagine you pipe /out/ists

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ24RtZNO5o
>>
>>930645
I smoke a pipe too, but just the other day I smoked a romeo and Julieta cigarillo (white tin) it tastes like a real cigar, but you can smoke it in 10 minutes if you're just waiting for a friend. Didn't go out from the cold either despite the fact that it was 16 degrees F. Not too sweet, but also doesn't taste bitter like cheap tobacco.
>>
>>957681
didnt mean marketed like comercials. ... guess i should have types MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR instead. like light weight models for hikers or ones made for having in your mouth and walking shit i dunno gyroscopic stems always keeping the tobacco level shit i dunno
>>
best pipe for /out/?
>>
>>957815
I'd say corn cob or Cherrywood, since both are lightweight and cheap so if it breaks it's no big loss
>>
>>957816
what about shape? stem?
>>
File: IMG_6943.jpg (1MB, 2896x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6943.jpg
1MB, 2896x1952px
>>957772
Gyroscopic stems would be difficult for sure, but pipes are plenty lightweight (a few oz at most) and pretty durable anyway.
For just plain knockabout "I don't care if it gets tossed around, dirty or broken because it's cheap anyway" use, it's hard to beat a corncob. That they're god tier smoking pipes is just icing on the cake here-they're $7 and available at any drugstore in the land.
Or, if you need waterproof and easy to clean, an old Venturi or "The Pipe"-like pic related-fills the bill for cheap. Made of plastic with a graphite bowl. They'll never warp, you can clean them with soap and water and they're cheap on eBay. I got this one for $10.
>>
whats the pipe with the biggest bowl youve ever smokes mine is inside diamtere 19mm
>>
>>957818
Whichever you prefer.
The idea is to have a pipe that if it gets broken or lost, you'll only cry because you came to like smoking it, not because it was a month's salary.
For the US, the Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob comes in either a straight or bent stem for $7 at most drugstores.
For Europe, fruitwood pipes (like cherrywood pipes from Ropp or pearwoods from Eastern Europe) are likewise good, available and cheap.
>>
Late night stroll with the cob

Used to peek at my chemistry teacher smoking a pipe outside this school. He attend my campus for a top off on his teaching. He remembered me cause I chewed licorice root all through school We talked some pipe. Was good times.

Cash in the ears. Pipe in mouth beer In hand
>>
File: 20170226_003539.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170226_003539.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>957859
>>
File: IMG_6946.jpg (343KB, 2999x990px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6946.jpg
343KB, 2999x990px
>>957831
I've got an old Charatan with a bowl diameter of 0.854" (21.7mm) and 1.82" (46mm) deep.
With all but the most aromatic tobacco that needs the absolute most space and no packing at all, it's too much pipe for me. I'll end up dizzy from the nicotine before I finish a bowl in it.
Pic related is the Charatan on the left next to a more average-sized pipe for comparison.
>>
>>957877
Good looking pipe
>>
do you smoke while hiking or wait until you get to your destination?
>>
File: 1915b.jpg (40KB, 640x315px) Image search: [Google]
1915b.jpg
40KB, 640x315px
thoughts on those rubber end bits?
>>
>>958225
They work to make clenching more comfy and are cheap. I don't really use them because I'm not a clencher, but if you do there's no denying they keep your mouthpieces from getting torn up.
>>
>>958132
I wait until I get to my next camp and after I get everything set up. It's a reward for me. Plus, I like to sit down and lean back when I smoke.
>>
my next tobacco to try
>three nuns
or
>dunhill night cap
?
>>
>>958342
or dunhill royal yacht
>>
>>958342
>>958349
Haven't tried nightcap, but the other two are really nice.
That said, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Royal Yacht. It's my first choice always.
>>
File: 16690c.jpg (112KB, 800x406px) Image search: [Google]
16690c.jpg
112KB, 800x406px
>>955288
i was hard set on that meerschoum. but now this showed up for the same price.

a Nording hunters pipe. rim has very minimal charring but this upside down photo shows the front carving verry well the best

damn now im not 100% sure what to get, guess ill wait and see what i walk out the shop with tmorrow
>>
File: 16690.jpg (95KB, 800x310px) Image search: [Google]
16690.jpg
95KB, 800x310px
>>958381
>>
>>958381
Still haven't decided? It's probably a good thing you waited. I'm rough with my pipes and carry them around so I'd much prefer a wooden pipe and I love the rustic ones. Since you complained about the mouth piece on the other what do you think of this one? I personally like it. If it were up to me I'd get this one over the meerschaum in a heartbeat
>>
>>958385
yes im an overcoutious buyer i know, i was locked away at a camp the past six days with nothing to do all day but think about what pipe to buy on monday .....

honestly i might end up buying both over time
>>
>>958388
Nothing wrong with being cautious where money's concerned.

Do the coin toss method. Flip a coin. If you feel strongly compelled to flip again then choose the loser since you obviously wanted that one to win.
>>
>>958389
good method, il have no shame flipping a coin in the shop tomorrow after comparing them side by side
>>
does meerschaum prevent gurgling? my problem with straight stem pipes so far has been gurgling and sucking up sludge water, i dont smoke aromatics
>>
>>958400
They tend to gurgle less, but that doesn't mean they don't gurgle at all, especially if they have a smaller than normal draft hole. Meerschaum IS naturally absorbent, but there are always limits.
Best method to cure a gurgle whatever the pipe is to run a pipe cleaner down the stem. Works like a charm, even when they're lit.
>>
How many pipe companies sell their pipes pre-smoked? I bought a Dr. Grabow because I'm new and that's all I could find locally and got pissed because I thought the shop ripped me off by selling a pre-owned pipe (I quickly googled it and found out how the company uses a machine to pre-smoke them.)
>>
>>958582
It depends on the manufacturer and how they want to best make a pipe that not only smokes well straight out of the box but also has a starting layer of protective cake on it so it can smoke true without scorching.

Yello Bole coats their bowls with honey to kickstart the formation of cake.
Butz-Choquin coats their bowls and stems with carbon.
And as you discovered with Dr Grabow, they machine pre-smoke their pipes to build that cake.
>>
>>958659
I read some reports from people that Dr. Grabow pipes smoke harsh until they're cleaned. I guess I should probably at least wipe it out, but should I go further and scrape out the cake?
>>
>>958662
Depends on you. But once it's done, it's done.
I swabbed out the stem of my new BC with alcohol but left the bowl untouched. I probably should have left it alone, but I didn't know.
>>
>>958677
So I guess I could smoke a bowl and just go from there. I'm new to this and sort of looked forward to breaking in a pipe, but I don't mind it being done for me as long as those user reports weren't the norm.

Do you think it affected your experience in a bad way?
>>
>>958680
I think it did for the first couple of bowls.

Once it got smoked more, it started to get the natural coating built up and the smoking experience improved markedly.
>>
>>958690
Were you smoking a variety of tobaccos or the same one? I bought just one pouch and I figured I'd smoke all of it before trying something else since I don't want to run out and spend too much at once.
>>
>>958691
I smoked a variety of things, mostly because I wasn't paying that much attention. It was just what I wanted to smoke in it at the time.
>>
File: 20170227_154646.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170227_154646.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
And in one fell swoop it became my favourite pipe
>>
>>958872

Meerschaums smoke wonderfully. I love mine.
>>
File: IMG_6951.jpg (489KB, 2507x1401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6951.jpg
489KB, 2507x1401px
>>958872
Glad you like it.
Good smoking meerschaums are a wonderful thing. My favorite pipe is a bamboo-stemmed meerschaum.
I've shown it before, but here's a close up.
>>
>>958872
Lol what a twist. I really thought you would get the other, but I'm glad you decided and I'm sure you're happy to have it
>>
File: 1379239052981.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1379239052981.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
>broke my corncobb a few days ago
>>
>>959000
You should grab the Missouri Meerschaum random defect bag. They're cheap because they're slightly imperfect. $33.99 for 10 various corncobs
>>
>>959000
Checked
It looks like itime to spend $7 on another pipe.
On the less bad side, at least it doesn't cost $60 or more to get a new one.
>>
>>958993
I just couldn't resist that meerschaum. That Nording is just gonna have to wait for me or go to another happy home
>>
File: 20170228_121637.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170228_121637.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Well this is the first tobacco I regret buying. ..

Smells fantastic. Zesty. Fruity with hints of vanilla
But the taste sure is more then lacking ..

Guess I'll save it for when I'm around people .
>>
>>959426
Are you still planning on changing out the mouthpiece? I think it's nice and could be a conversation starter if you smoke it in public. That other one, though, is sharp as hell. You said you're going to get it, too, sometime, didn't you?
>>
>>959585
no i dont think il change the mouthpiece it looks way better in natural light, more transparrent kind of.

and hell yes if that - checks website to see how you spell Nording - ..... aaaaaand it sold. guess some other happy fellas gonna enjoy it
>>
>>959597
I'm glad you found a quality piece you're happy with. Cheers!
>>
>>959600
yea im really happy with this purchase. glad i got in the shop on monday or both those pipes could have escaped me
>>
File: 14883085776941713624239.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
14883085776941713624239.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
My favourite tampers/ash diggers I've made. The spiral pattern is made of Apple wood, the knife is Cherry.
>>
>>959627
that knife one is very neat concept
>>
>>959627
Nice. What sort of blade do you use to carve? I've made walking sticks, tent pegs, and other basic things like that. I might have to try a tamper.
>>
okay, so now that i am a happy meerschaum pipe owner, aswell as an outdoorsman, how worried do i need to be when taking this pipe /out/?

as far as i understand taking it out in rain, let alone heavy rain would be a no no

why what about light rain? mist? fog?

how careful do i actually need to be with the weather?
>>
What's a good place to find good wood pipes?
>>
File: 20170216_202251.jpg (93KB, 733x1303px) Image search: [Google]
20170216_202251.jpg
93KB, 733x1303px
>>959674

That is my one big fear with my meers. I pretty much only use them at home, and keep my cobs for general /out/ use.

Briars as a maybe depending on what I'm doing.

I have a dutch made clay pipe I haven't used period, again because its a neat piece I dont want to break or mess up.
>>
>>959703
now dont get me wrong i dont think i would ever camp with my meerschaum, but .. can i take a stroll on a foggy morning with it? guess its reserved for non rainy days ..
>>
>>959705

Its probably not as big of a deal on a foggy day. I live in a humid ass swamp. Being able to take it back inside for care between uses is probably fine.
>>
>>959712
okay then, so im guessing a light mist wont hurt it either?
>>
has anyone tried long-pipes?
>>
>>958400
Cleaning them is a bit of a pain since you need to soak them in alcohol to leach the tar out of the stone.
>>
>>959673
I just use xacto knives
>>
>>959824
neat
>>
>>959674
>>959703
>>959705
>>959712
Don't be afraid of taking it /out/. That's one of the very best things about meers.

A meerschaum should fare just fine in light rain, mist or fog. Better, even, than briar pipes in the same weather.
It's the reason why meerschaums are so popular in Northern England. In their cold and wet winters, a briar will get wrecked in short order while a meerschaum just shrugs off the wetness and keeps smoking without a hitch.
>>
File: 20170301_121802.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170301_121802.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Bought a new MM corn cob to replaced my old used and abused one
>>
how do you carry your pipe when /out/?
>>
>>960860
I just throw all the odds and ends into a ziplock bag.

I actually posted one above >>954890 if that gives you some idea.
>>
>>953064
Thing is neat.

Now that you've had it for a couple of weeks to live with it, how do you like it?
>>
>>930645
Never tried smoking from a pipe but I do enjoy a cigar now and then and bring some with me on out adventures. Are cigars and pipes comparable? Pros and Cons?
>>
>>961123
As a regular cigar smoker
Pipe
>Nicer smelling
>flavored isnt shit
-Harder travel with cases, tool, and tobacco pouch

Cigar
>less bulky to travel with, if you can keep it from getting crushed, otherwise travel cigar cases are meh, especially those big hurfador things
>last longer depending on size
-last longer
-tobacco or coffee flavor drew estates are the only real choices

Both leave similar amounts of litter since cigar butts will fall apart with a good boot crush, the rest is ash.
Since both are about sipping or only taking the smoke into your mouth, id say theyre comparable
>>
File: tren.png (243KB, 311x394px) Image search: [Google]
tren.png
243KB, 311x394px
>>930655
>tfw this is me
>>
>>961181
>>961123

Cigars are a lot more straight forward to smoke, pipes are a lot more finnicky.

I'd argue you get a lot more travel smokability with pipes than cigars for, say, backpacking. Particularly because of the "You can't let it get smashed at all". Pipes themselves are pretty sturdy, the most basic pipe tool is a simple carpenters nail, and the smokable material itself can be kept in a container that doesn't have to worry about being crushed, since its just shredded plant matter. When I've done air travel, I just kinda shove a bag of tobacco somewhere random in a suit case, packed the pipe itself in with clothing, and had a nail shoved in somewhere. Cigars, you kinda need some sort of hard container to keep it from getting destroyed.
>>
>>961123
Cigars are easier to keep lit, They taste great, They smell great, you can sit and smoke one for a long time.

But, they are fragile and need a hard case to transport, they can take to long to smoke, they can dry out,

Pipes are sturdier, they taste great, they smell great, they have a greater variety of flavors, some tobaccos smoke better dry, doesn't take as long to smoke.

But, they might not smoke long enough, require more supplies than cigars, are harder to keep lit, can "bite" the tongue, many require a cool down period after smoking, requires cleaning

Pipes have more advantages but also more disadvantages.
>>
>>961123
They're comparable.
You'll get a lot more and different flavors from pipes than from cigars based on what tobaccos you put in them and how they're processed. Pipes are more travel-friendly too.
But as the others said they're a little more involved to get going with them. Cigars are much more accessible in that regard.
>>
in personal experiance one of the biggest advantages to a pipe contra a cigar when /out/ is that you can set a pipe down in the sand, on wet dirty logs or basicly anywhere on the ground, but you cant really do what with a cigar cause the part youve got in you mouth is basicly on the ground
>>
As an update to a previous thread I made about PipesAndCigars . com :

I placed an order on February 16th. It should have shipped out the following Monday, the 20th. However, they apparently changed warehouses so their orders were delayed, which is fine. But then it kept going on and on. I reached out to them via their site (since I couldn't get a person on the phone) and they never replied to my message. So, finally I got fed up with how shitty their customer service is and sent a message on the 25th asking for my order to be cancelled. Finally, today, without ever replying to either message, they simply cancelled it. Take it for what you will. I don't have anything within a 50 mile drive but roll your own shops and cigar bars so I have to order online and they seemed to have a great reputation. But I've never had any website just not respond to customer messages over that long of a time period.

So, if I want some Frog Morton I've got to find a new place to order from. I'm thinking about SmokingPipes . com since it also is well reviewed and has fairly good prices. Does anyone have any experience with them?
>>
>>961572
>thread
I meant post
>>
File: IMG_7031.jpg (1MB, 2315x1945px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7031.jpg
1MB, 2315x1945px
Pipe of the night

WWI-era pipe loaded with Casey Jones Last ride, a cherry caramel aromatic.

>>961572
I have an order I placed on the 19th that still hasn't shipped, so you're not the only one. Haven't canceled mine yet, though.
>>
>>961603
I'm sure it'll get out soon enough. I don't mind waiting as long as there's some kind of communication. They were mass e-mailing customers to apologize for the delay, but that stopped on the 24th.

Also, that's a cool looking pipe. How do you smoke it? It looks like the opening is on the top
>>
>>961607
It's a standard bit. It's just that the mouthpiece is worn through just in front of the end top and botton, making for a kind of poor man's P-lip.
It actually smokes great, but the mouthpiece is starting to deteriorate and get really fragile. Celluloid isn't nearly as stable as modern plastics like acrylic. I'll have to get it replaced soon.
>>
>>961615
>P -lip
I'm always learning something new.
>>
So, what's the best OTC tobacco you can get? Between stuff like Sir Walter Raleigh, Borkum Riff, Half-and-Half, etc which one sucks the least?
>>
>>962026
Depends on your particular tastes.

All of the big OTC blends are famous and have sold like hot cakes for decades, so they must be doing something right. They're all burley blends too, so they don't bite and are mild enough to smoke all day.
Thing is, they all taste a little different, and what I like may not necessarily be what you like. So don't be afraid to try different stuff and see what suits you. For most of these, you won't pay more than $5 a pouch anyway.

That said, here's what I think of the OTCs I tried.
Sir Walter Raleigh: didn't like it.
Prince Albert: liked the nutty flavor, hated the aftertaste of cheap cigarettes when I smoked it too fast.
Carter Hall: My favorite of the OTC non-aromatics and second favorite overall. Very mild flavored.
Captain Black white: Vanilla flavor wasn't bad, but wasn't that remarkable either. A good starter.
Paladin: cherry flavor tasted off to me. Didn't like it at all.
Captain Black Cherry: My favorite cherry OTC that I can find locally. I have since found better through mail order, but this isn't bad at all.
Half and Half: my favorite OTC. Just enough licorice flavor for a sweet yet slightly rich aftertaste.

All the rest I either can't find or haven't tried yet.
>>
>>962026
I myself am a fan or borkum riff and captain black white. I had to try most of them to find that out though. That's one if the best parts about pipe smoking. The journey.
>>
File: 20170306_173645.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_173645.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
Bought a churchwarden
>>
File: IMG_7071.jpg (1MB, 2570x2045px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7071.jpg
1MB, 2570x2045px
Pipe of the day

Newly-found Falcon loaded with 965. I was going to try to find something significant in British History to celebrate, but the founding of Ghana and the starting of the first royal website doesn't rate for me.
So instead I'll wish Polish expatriate, American Revolutionary War hero and Honorary American Citizen Casimir Pulaski a happy birthday and salute him properly.

Na Zdrowie!

>>963282
Have you tried it out yet?
If so, how does it smoke? Is it worth seeking out and getting a churchwarden in your opinion, or will any other pipe suffice?
>>
>>963362
smoked it 3 times now, smokes wonderfully, cool smoke, i dont have the best close up vision so having the bowl a bit further from my face actually helpt a surprising ammount in lighting,

surprise surprise its a fantastic pipe shape for sitting down and relaxing.
but it is decently light so you can walk around with it in your mouth.

the only diadvantage is the small draw hole, this will make it more prone to blockages i assume although it hasnt happened to me.

id say its worth it, definitely, if for nothing else then the novelty, you will need long pipe cleaners though

ive slapped this shitty pic together comparing it to my falcon coolway
>>
>>963362
also, would you recommend a falcon? like the one you've got? the interchangeability of the bowls is very intriguing
>>
File: Muh_pipe.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
Muh_pipe.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
>>963939
tredje gang jegser dig på /out nu madsen så nu er jeg ikke anon længere.
cool at se at du også kan lide piper.
pic related. the first pipe i made
>>
>>963939
It is, and the interchangeable bowls are nice if you want to change up the look of your pipe or something gets broken. I saw some meerschaum bowls for it that looked really good.
Smoking it is a very nice experience. It's a well engineered pipe and the tobacco burns down very evenly with minimal fuss, a function of the draw hole being in the exact bottom of the bowl.
The aluminum body is different but not bad. On the plus side, it doesn't warp in the rain, delivers a cooler smoke than a briar, doesn't hold a ghost and is a snap to clean as you might expect. On the down side, aluminum doesn't absorb moisture, so the pipe gurgles more than a briar or cob and can drip into your mouth if you aren't careful. A single pipe cleaner down the mouthpiece solves that problem.
If you live in a place that's very humid-America's Pacific Northwest, Northern England or the like-you'll reach for it a lot.
>>
>>964080
thats a good looking pipe dude. congratulations on that!
>>
>>964088
would you say the dry-rings are neccesary? or could a normal pipe cleaner just be snipped and bent into a ring?
>>
>>964095
Haven't gotten that far, honestly.
But now that you mention it, a snipped pipe cleaner would probably work just as well as the dry rings. Just remember to leave a little extra material on the outside of the ring so you can lift it out on the back end.
>>
>>964098
maybe an odd question, but when you smoke that falcon has it ever been mistaken for a vape?
>>
>>964102
Not yet but I just got it.
There's still time for somebody to mistake it for a bong or a crack pipe before too long.
>>
>>964325
that really is the true struggle of the modern pipesmoker
>psst hay what weed u got in there
does get grating, i should stop smoking in the city
>>
>>964335
I just look at them like they said something stupid and tell them that you smoke weed out of glass pipes and that the pipe I have is terrible as with the stuff.
>>
File: 20170308_004723.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_004723.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Day 5 of churchwarden. Thoroughly enjoyed ingredients it. But the smoking characteristics that I like about it just scream that I need to get a Oom paul
>>
File: IMG_7111.jpg (1MB, 2384x2293px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7111.jpg
1MB, 2384x2293px
Pipe of the night

Brewster Rhodesian filled with Red Cap, a recently reintroduced burley blend from long ago. It now comes in whiskey and cherry flavors too, but I chose the original blend.
For a budget blend it's not bad, and certainly the price of the smaller than normal pouches helps here too-just $2 for 3/4oz at full retail! My pouch arrived dry, but no big deal-I just rehydrated it a bit by breathing on it a couple of times before lighting up.
Flavor wise, it reminds me of a slightly less refined Carter Hall. Mild with the burley "nutty" flavor when smoked slow, it never bites but can turn harsh when you go too fast.
If you blend your own, this can probably be used like CH to take the edge off of harsher things too.
>>
File: 20170308_093639.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_093639.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Just got back from my grandfather's. He bequeathed me a few of his pipes from his smoking days. Any idea what manufacturers made these? I know very little about pipes.
>>
File: 20170308_093556.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_093556.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>964871
>>
File: 20170308_093625.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_093625.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>964871
This one says "freehand" on it. The orangish one has a bird that is also a pipe on the stem and the whitish one has a marking on the stem I can't make out.
>>
File: 20170308_105418.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_105418.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Here is the marking in question. Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>964873
thats a beauty!
>>
>>964884
Thanks! I am going to treasure these.
>>
>>964915
how are the bowls? good condition?
>>
>>964929
They seem like it. Well loved but otherwise in perfect working order.
>>
>>964939
great score anon! keep them puffing for years to come
>>
File: IMG_5423.jpg (309KB, 720x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5423.jpg
309KB, 720x920px
>>964881
>>964879
>>964873
>>964871
Congratulations.
Those freehands look great. I wish I had one like them.

Try to find the shapes and logos etched on your pipes and mouthpieces and then try looking them up here:
http://www.pipephil.eu/index.html

If you can't find names, it could be that it's an unbranded factory second.
Basically, they're made by one of the major pipemakers but had some sort of finish or carving flaw that made it unacceptable to be a first-quality pipe worthy of the name brand. They're still drilled fine and smoke well, they just have a minor imperfection.
If you have an unbranded pipe, the best thing to do is pull up the pipe shape charts of the major brands from the country stamped on your pipe. Then just try to match yours to the shape chart to find a maker.
I found that I have a couple of Savinelli-made seconds in my collection that way.
>>
NEW THREAD UP
>>965242
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.