[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just picked up a couple of these, going to get back into snorkeling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

Just picked up a couple of these, going to get back into snorkeling and spear fishing (in Western Australia). Any recommendations for other gear, particularly spear guns?
>>
we're gonna need a bigger boat
>>
>>929579
I'll bet you'll go back to an old school snorkel and mask
>>
>>929583
already used one for filming, they're good
>>
These are a meme. There's constantly threads about how shit they are.
>>
>>929579

in what way should they be better than a normal set ?
>>
>>929579
Well I'm assuming you're a big guy.
>>
>>929579
bro... theres a disclaimer by the company who made those specifically not to use them for freediving, theyre dangerous as fuck. Get a low profile mask and a normal snorkel or your asking for trouble.

Ive had a Cressi Geronimo for 4 years now and I love it, and would reccomend it to anyone I know. Its $120, laser accurate and bomb proof.
>>
>>929951
Can damage your eyes or something?
>>
Unless you are one of those guys who can equalize pressure without pinching your nose, these are no good for free diving.
Love mine for snorkeling though.
No snorkel dick in your mouth.
>>
>>929598

I use them for my snorkel cosplay group, so it's dual use.
>>
>>929598
>i have never used one
>but i can parrot gud
>>
>>930367
You can cause squeezes in your sinuses when you dive too deep because its impossible to nose-pinch equalize. Also (more importantly) if you blackout with one of these on you're fucked. When freediving its important to spit your snorkel so you dont have to clear it when you break the surface.

If you broke the surface and blacked out with this thing on and your head fell backwards you wouldnt be able to breathe and you would die.

Dont use this for anything other than snorkeling, these things are designed for people who are noobs and uncomfortable with the traditional mask-snorkel set up, and people who cant spot a gimmick
>>
>>930803
>>931055

Plus it's nearly impossible to equalize a mask of that volume. Hope OP enjoys damage to his eyes.

Concerning blackout (if it happens underwater) and assuming OP isn't a fucktard diving alone, then the mask has to be removed at depth. If the mask isn't removed, then the rescuer can't seal off the breathing passages which could prove fatal if OP isn't surfaced before the end of the laryngospasm.
>>
>>929579
kook
>>
>>931248
You know your shit, have you gone through a PFI course or anything? Cool to see some other freedivers here.
>>
>>929722
For you
>>
>>931406

Earned my level one last summer with an SSI affiliated shop.

And agreed, it's good to see others here who know their stuff. There's so much crap floating around on freediving that I'm surprised there isn't more fatalities annually from the sport.
>>
>>929579
All meme masks aside, what the fuck is the point of snorkeling.

You literally can't go anywhere with it but sticking to the surface, is it really that much of a chose to just raise your head up and breath every minute vs being stuck at the surface looking down?
>>
>>931627
Lol nice one
>>
>>931622
Nice, I went through the intermediate PFI course a few years ago. Its expensive, but odds are it could save mine or a friends life some day.

So true. Its little things like this that can get people killed going into the sport. There has been 2 deaths at my favorite spearfishing spot in the last few years, experienced divers too. They just made a few bad decisions and got unlucky.

One guy was keeping his dive knife on his weight-belt. When he was at the bottom his belt got tangled in the kelp so he ditched it and tried to surface. He then got tangled AGAIN on his way up and had no way to cut himself out. Scary shit. He was diving with a buddy and everything, one tiny mistake of strapping it to his belt and not his arm or leg cost him his life.
>>
>>931647
No really whats the point.
>>
File: DSC03746.jpg (1MB, 2401x1568px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03746.jpg
1MB, 2401x1568px
>>931853
>tangled in the kelp
no,,how? I can dump all,, no tangle points.
Eatit!!,, you can just bite thruit., micronutrients.
>>931890
,,,,,,,hmmmmmm.
,?
,,,,, realy tho,, hmmmmmm.
>>
>>932089
So yes, there is no point.
>>
>>932133
Why is this autistic person trying to communicate.
>>
File: mg_4552.jpg (454KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
mg_4552.jpg
454KB, 2000x1333px
>>932089
Were not talking about one strand wrapping around your ankle bro, were talking about him trying to push through a solid wall of kelp.

>pic related

I have been to the spot where he died many times and I have been tangled myself and had to cut out.

Also, use English please.
>>
>>932451

Why would you want to dive in an area you regularly get tangled in? Asking for a slow death there.
>>
>>929579
Either stay armed or carry around a can of gasoline to bribe off abo tribes from attacking you
>>
File: Kelp-Forest.jpg (286KB, 690x250px) Image search: [Google]
Kelp-Forest.jpg
286KB, 690x250px
>>932857
That is an extreme example, I was just using it to show that you wont just be dealing with one strand wrapped around you, there can be a thicket which you get stuck in, here is a more realistic picture.
>>
File: DSC04146.jpg (1MB, 2178x1019px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04146.jpg
1MB, 2178x1019px
>932133
sotrue.,
>932999
,Im skeptical,, Never had a tangle,, loveslinking thru kelp, Sneaky up on fish.,, whats to snag?
, killerkelp?,, na.
>>
>>931853

I dive with one knife on my leg and one on my belt. The point of knife on belt right above your nuts is you can access it with either hand in case the one on the off-knife side gets tied up.
>>
>>932857

The fish like cover.

OP, if you're going to really get into it then go ahead and get the good gear. It's worth it to get the legit gear free dive fins, open cell suit, low volume mask, regular snorkel. I've never dove aus, but from what I understand gun size is the same as here generally. Get a 110 or 120 Rob Allen or Pathos.
>>
File: DSC04091.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04091.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
The problem for divers usually comes when they snag items that are not streamlined with the rest of their bodies. The most notorious culprits are dive knives

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=22351

seals and otters swim through the kelp effortlessly and without incident
>>
>>929579

>spearfishing

>that mask volume

if that snorkel even seals well, which it wont, that mask would suck your eyeballs out if you take it to any depth
>>
File: AwBJdve.jpg (166KB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
AwBJdve.jpg
166KB, 2592x1728px
>>931853

2 knives on opposite sides of body and not on the belt is definitely best, left forearm and right thigh or something

Anyone here use a polespear? i watched Ted's, of Ted's Holdover, Bahamas spearing videos ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRm0BheSR_Q ) and decided to make one myself
>>
>>935085
Its best to keep 2 knives, one on your leg and one on your arm on the same side. This ensures that if you have at-least 1 hand free you will always be able to reach a knife.

If you run into trouble free-diving the first course of action is to drop your weight-belt, immediately. Having your knife strapped to your belt complicates the process and gives you another thing to think about (grabbing your knife before dumping your weight). In a situation like that the mistake of forgetting to grab your knife can be fatal, as shown by the example I used earlier. In a scenario like that it is best to leave nothing to chance. Even if you think that you will remember to grab it you will never really know until that moment comes. I understand the convenience of it, especially considering you have 2 knives, but you are inevitably sacrificing safety.
>>
>>935682
>>935575
Correction, opposite sides. Thats what I meant to say.

I taught myself how to spearfish originally with a polespear, but haven't used one in several years. Making one is a project I will definitely undertake some day though.

How do you get fish to stay on that thing with no barb or flopper? It looks like fish would wriggle right off of that thing. Other than that a really nice build, I like the aluminum.
>>
>>935546
Thats a good link. Kelp kills ALOT of people.

I was wearing smooth fins once and got my ankle tangled in thick kelp. By the time I ripped out and got to the surface I was basically unconscious, if I had been stuck 10 more seconds I wouldn't be here typing right now. That was the last day I dove without a knife.
>>
File: knife guide.jpg (855KB, 1125x2000px) Image search: [Google]
knife guide.jpg
855KB, 1125x2000px
why havent they made some kinda tether snorkeling mask

like its a buoyed vent on top with a so and so length of hose that lets you dive however many feet?
>>
File: 17231.jpg (195KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
17231.jpg
195KB, 1000x667px
>>935763
Perhaps they could incorporate some sort of helmet to wear, weights to keep your down and a suit to keep you nice and dry

seriously though I imagine its harder to suck air down a long tube, and breath it out through the same long tube
>>
>>935763
Oxygen poisoning and the bends, mainly

>>935769
You made me chuckle, ol' chap
>>
>>935769
CO2 is heavier than normal air and will build up in the tube. Also you wouldn't be able to suck air down a tube more than a couple feet long, the pressure on your chest and lungs is immense underwater. I tried this one time when I was very young with a friend using a garden hose and it was one of the scariest feelings I've ever experienced.

Theoretically something as simple as a bicycle pump could work, you would just have to exhale into the water so no CO2 built up. Look up hookah diving, I think you might like it.
>>
File: 81oT2fP9bxL._SL1500_.jpg (126KB, 1361x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81oT2fP9bxL._SL1500_.jpg
126KB, 1361x1500px
This speargun is DEADLY, made in the USA baby! It's really good quality though, al be it a bit expensive. I've own it for 3 years and it still works great. There are many more here you could find if this one is a lil bit too expensive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DYNGJ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0000DYNGJ&linkId=06ec39f442d7a9a81cecde67454f1859
>>
>>935834

Overpriced, wasted length, and ships with a terrible shaft/band setup. I'm sure they worked great back in the day, but it's a pretty antiquated design. Get a decent railgun instead.
>>
>>935793
bullshit you can get the bends between 30 and 100 feet?

then again I didnt know that snorkeling really was this dangerous before this thread.
>>
File: DSC03828.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03828.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>935763
Pressure,, Feelit!
,, if you take a Full SCUBA breath at 4 feet depth then surface,,, your lungs will Micro tear,, bubbling under the skin,, Subcutanious embolisim,, or somesuch.
,, at 9 feet you can blowyour lungs out your nose!!
,snorkelove.
>>
>>935964

You anons wanna hear a secret?

There's a Italian dive store on Ebay selling OMER Cayman HF Camu 3D spearguns with an OMER match reel pre-installed for literally $175 dollars. For those of you who dont know, that gun normally retails for $350 minimum WITHOUT the reel which costs an additional $90.

I didn't really believe it was legit until it got delivered yesterday, but it is oh-so real.

proofs

>$174 with $20 international shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omer-Cayman-HF-Camu-3D-Pro-Speargun-With-Reel-02UK/131251771743?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D0f38110483ed468190fe32cca2a99679%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D131251771743#shpCntId
>$334 on Amazon, and that is without the $90 reel.

https://www.amazon.com/OMER-Cayman-Camouflage-Speargun-75cm/dp/B00J0ZUC5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485520311&sr=8-1&keywords=omer%2Bcayman%2Bhf%2Bcamo&th=1&psc=1

If you guys are in the market for a new speargun with a $200 budget you will not, and can not, get a better gun at this price point. I wasn't even in the market for a new gun yet, my old one still have a year or two left in it, but when I saw this I had to jump at it. I have no idea why they are so cheap with this website, but youre looking at close to a 60% discount off of normal retail.
>>
>>938713

European prices are far cheaper than here in the US for freediving equipment. I have no idea why.
>>
>>938713

Sweet, how was the seller? I saw free dive computers from them for $200 and my analog dive watch crapped out the other day.
>>
>>932089
>this meme again
Thought this shit died last year
>>
>>939140
It has 99.9% positive rating from like 3000+ reviews. I read the 3 negative ratings and they were all BS, I would go for it.
>>
>>939062
I was in Cornwall a few years ago and stopped in a dive shop, they had guns for like 30% less than what I could get state-side. I know brands like OMER, Cressi, Beauchat, Mares and a few other big names are based out of Italy, so Im guessing import taxes are mostly to blame for that.
>>
>>939156

And freediving is a lot bigger over there. They probably move more stock and have more competition and all that economics stuff.
>>
>>939162
We went to a public beach and there was multiple groups of freedivers, and I also saw several dedicated freediving shops. No sharks and lots of fish makes for good diving I guess. I

Id rather pay more for gear than have a fuckload of people at every shore diving spot on the weekends frankly.
>>
>>939249

>lots of fish

As I understand it the Mediterranean is really overfished.
>>
>>939576
I was talking about Cornwall, which is in England.

I dont know anything about the Mediterranean's biomass, but considering a lot of the nations which border it are 3rd world one could assume its pretty heavily exploited.
>>
>>939905

Ah gotchya, diving the UK would be cool. What's the water temp, etc.? I've seen videos of there and it kinda looks like central/northern California.

I don't know if it's because of the native species or if it's overfished, but every time I see Med divers they have to dive to like 80 feet before they start seeing any fish.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.