[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a car camping thread? I've been sleeping out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13

File: car-hoarding-14.jpg (39KB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
car-hoarding-14.jpg
39KB, 500x319px
Can we have a car camping thread?

I've been sleeping out of a small 4 door. Windows tinted. 20% on the front and 5% on the rear. I crack the sunroof at night to stop condensation build up. Use libraries for wifi. Make rice and lentils with a small water boiler and a thermos.
>>
Hi gonna chuck a few questions below, feel free to ignore or answer! so many be personal!!

1: what car are you in; and how do you set up for sleeping?

2: what items to you are most valuable, either for living and survival or comfort etc.

3: how do you maintain relationships, and what do you get out of this situation socially?

4: how do you maintain hygeiene?

5: how do you earn money? if you do earn money, what type of job and how much does it give? is this situation financially better off than housing?

6: how did you get to this point? Hope you're okay, good luck if i dont hear back!
>>
>>929559

1. I've got an older Honda Accord. The backseat is too small so I just lay the front seat back as far as possible and sleep on my side. Usually from 11-6

2. Laptop cellphone and battery pack are nice to have. I'd say my essentials are a dark sleeping bag, and a water boiler+ thermos for cooking rice lentils or veggies

3. The friends who know me well know about it. Other people I just say I'm living in whatever part of town in parked in.

4. A 24/7 gym membership is essential. Partially for showers. Also for building your lower back muscles which will inevitably get sore at some point

5. I've got a part time internship at a news station doing teasers. It pays ok. Enough to get an apartment but not enough for a house. I just see rent as flushing money down the toilet. And I can't see myself staying in one house for to long

6. I've actually done this before not by choice. I had moved to a new town and didn't know anyone and my housing arrangement fell through, and I didn't want to pay for a motel, so I just started sleeping in my car.

Instead of going home and watching TV, you find other things to do. You wander around streets and start to know the area your in. It also makes you cut out all your non essentials. I can actually fit everything into my trunk for when I need to pick someone up who doesn't know about my situation.

I think my future goal is to either buy a piece of land to camp on, or a bigger car
>>
thanks for reply, reason for asking is my company i work for is making us redundant, so i have to pack up and may very well end up in a car living situation, however am quite excited for some reason. I've basically bought all the backpacking equipment even though most unnecessary. Just gotto find a new job maybe in line with what im used to in a new area.

Hope all goes well for you, thanks for the list i've taken all the notes from it! God bless!
>>
>>929597
That's pretty cool. I'm due to start a job in the summer for a year and have been considering this pretty heavily as well. Not same anon as before, but I have some questions too-

1. Where do you do this? (Don't really care about city in particular, just region of country)

2. Have you done it in the middle of summer? How was it?

3. Have you done it in the middle of winter? How was it?

4. What kind of bigger car would you buy?

5. Where do you park? How long do you stay there?

6. Do you date much/when do you reveal you're in a car/how do they react?
>>
vanning is an impoverished lifestyle. The money isn't worth the memes my friends

anyways op, go to an all-night coffee shop every evening (with cheap coffee) if you don't plan on hitting the gym around that time. It's dry and makes your lot livable, and the staff will start to get sympathetic to you if you hang around enough
>>
>>929891
It's honestly the most fun I've ever had. Just be sure to take the time to go out and see things and talk to random people and know none of it matters. It helped me out tons with my social anxiety.
>>
>>929891
Also don't feel like the hiking stuff is useless. I went on a lot of trails in my free time
>>
>>929983
1. First time I did this was in an area near the coast of California. Memes aside, the weather was perfect and there was plenty of trails and swimming to do. Right now I'm doing it in a Philadelphia sized city. I visit a few coffee places and libraries on the weekdays, and plan bigger trips for the weekend.

2. Summer kind of sucks because you can't cool down. After work, you either have to be outside with a breeze or inside somewhere.

3. Its winter now and it can get down to 0F where I am. I still crack the sunroof to prevent condensation build up, and I'm thinking about getting a wool blanket to complement my sleeping bag. Its only rated at 30F.

4. Probably not a van, because they get bad mileage and they stick out more. Maybe a CRV or a Mini van. My goal is always to be inconspicuous.

5. I only stay in a spot for one night, but I'll revisit them. Sometimes it'll be a parking lot with businesses that don't open till lunch, sometimes I can get a spot near a park. This time around Ive been parking in some beat up industrial areas. I try to avoid residential neighborhoods as much as possible.

6. I have a few dating profiles I use when I get bored and I've got lucky twice. It only works if they have a place you can go over, because as soon as you tell them you live out of a car, You've gone from possible hookup, to poor sad car person.

>>930900
Do you mean the big vans? Like the Ford e150 and Chevy Express? They sound nice, but you would never be able to hide the fact that you live in a van. Coffee shops are nice though. I'll visit them every once in a while when I'm feeling social.

>>930900
>>
File: 280px-Dodge-Ramcharger.jpg (9KB, 280x120px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Dodge-Ramcharger.jpg
9KB, 280x120px
I lived out of a Dodge Ramcharger for about a month one summer. I was working 2nd shift in a warehouse. I'd get off at 9pm and just go out into my truck, take my boots off, crawl into the back and go to sleep.

My alarm would wake me up around 5am and I'd strip down and wipe my body really clean with antimicrobial wipes, brush my teeth, put on deodorant, etc. Then put on fresh clothing and drive to Dennys every morning for a big breakfast, multiple cups of coffee and a big shit in their toilet.

It wasn't bad but I wouldn't want to live that way forever.
>>
>>929559
You aren't car camping
You are living in a car
>>919952
>>
>>931070
Came in here to do this
>>
>>929567
im not a full blown camper but i do do it in the summer.
1.subaru outback
2.i usually bring a gun / camera equipment
3.i dont have many friends to begin with so non issue
4.you can get a gym membership for x amount a month they have showers
if you work usually they have showers
in the winter or before like 7am and after 7pm almost every state or national park you can camp at has showers that are available 24/7
5.i have a job monday through friday ill tke time off and car camp
>>
File: IMG_3515.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3515.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Please provide pics of your sleeping setup.
PROTIP: it's not as comfy as mine
>>
>>931012
I lived in a previa, and until I added an air vent I had pretty good stealth

in the long run it doesn't really matter if people notice what you're doing, as long as the police don't at a glance and you're not infringing on somebody's property
>>
File: van lyfe.jpg (10KB, 333x405px) Image search: [Google]
van lyfe.jpg
10KB, 333x405px
>>931099
I have pics but not here. Tons of stuff in that vehicle, the schematic really doesn't do it justice. Having a couchbed with space underneath is probably the single best way to arrange your van. I got lucky when I found a free cubicle type desk wraparound setup which meshed well
>>
File: IMG_3468.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3468.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>931111
That's actually pretty rad; I want to see.
>>
File: rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg (209KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg
209KB, 1328x747px
>>931099
>pls
>>
>>931099
More info on your setup?
>>
>>931127
Go away, bus native, everyone knows you mac on other anons' gfs
>>
File: rsz_1img_20160409_124704.jpg (171KB, 898x1177px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_1img_20160409_124704.jpg
171KB, 898x1177px
>>931132
...hah

Just get to know me instead of making shit up my nigga.
>>
File: IMG_3451.jpg (323KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3451.jpg
323KB, 1280x960px
>>931130
'04 GMC yukon xl. Drive across country on leave/coming back. Hide gas stove/tarp/cooking supplies under third row fold-down and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
File: IMG_3453.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3453.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>931137
obviously in Australia because shitty camera is shitty
>>
>>931132
Why would you even worry about that? Unless your girl is really fucked in the head and/or a total whore, she ain't gonna go very far with dude who lives in the same short bus he rode to second grade.

>>931120
How bright is that shit from the outside when you have all those lights on? That just seems sketchy and even if you have the lights out it is still easy to see the light from laptops and phones even with darker tint. And if you go with curtains it looks even sketchier.

Btw you guys are all straight hobos.
>>
>>931141
Hobos ride rails you fizzy fish fucking faggot
>>
>>931145
Should we just call OP a Vietnam vet with substance abuse problems? Vagrant?
>>
What kind of thermos do you use to make lentils, and how long does it take?
>>
This is mine from last June. Nothin special, it was for just a small trip around the U.P. with the gf
>>
>>931337
Looks cozy. How did it go?
>>
>>931012
>as soon as you tell them you live out of a car, You've gone from possible hookup, to poor sad car person.

So live out of a $20k Sprinter van with another $20k spent on the conversion.

Bitches love that.
>>
>>931070
>>931083

I have a home, it just happens to have wheels
>>
>>931441
Keep telling youself that. Where does your 1040 get mailed?
>>
>>931441
If you live innacar youre homeless fgt. Thats how that works. Even the dude that lives in the bus is homeless and hes got the best set up ive seen on this board so far.
>>
File: IMG_1725.jpg (74KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1725.jpg
74KB, 1024x614px
>>931465
>>931441
If you don't have a land line, you are homeless
>>
>>931471
Showin your age there
>>
>>931141
Tint keeps it under wraps; looks at most like streetlight reflections.

Also: not homeless, military. Close but no cigar
>>
File: IMG_1730.jpg (28KB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1730.jpg
28KB, 400x269px
>>931550
Do you have a land line?
>>
>>931550
Having a job does not make you not homeless. You live in a car, youre homeless. Fucking simple logic here my man. What it means to you is your business.
>>
>>931568
I live in a barracks...I save on travel expenses by sleeping in my vehicle during cross-country trips.
>>
>>931755
So you're only temporary homeless, but soon you'll be full time like 82% of vets
>>
If he calls the car his home he is not homeless. Its where the heart is. Faggot.
>>
>>931755
Das cool. Thank you for your serve ice.
>>
>>931558
Well...shit.
Disregard.
>>
File: IMG_3544.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3544.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>931760
Probs.
>>
>>931345
Not bad. However i'm like.. an inch too tall to sleep without bending my knees. Had to sleep with one leg on the divider between the two front seats and the other on the handle for the passenger door in order to stretch out. Other than that, very comfy
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.