[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been invited to go camping and hiking this winter.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1484107815117.png (775KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484107815117.png
775KB, 1920x1080px
I've been invited to go camping and hiking this winter. What gear would I need? Never hiked into the woods to camp overnight, and especially not in winter.
>>
Where are you? If you're from the northern US or further north, your first time camping should not be during winter. you might die, and I'm not exaggerating. If you're from one of the more temperate states or another country, I don't know.
>>
>>929025
The location was in southern Indiana from what I remember.
>>
>Water proof boots with good traction
>Warm wool socks+backup pair
> Snow pants
>Under thermals
>Beanie/toque
>Waterproof gloves
>Fire starting kit
>Good sleeping bag and tent
>A mat to put between your sleeping bag and floor(you'll lose a LOT of body heat without this)
>Canned Food to last you a few days in case you fuck up
>Gun
>Utility knife
Pretty much just stay water proof and warm. Make sure you don't get your fucking socks wet and if you do change into your backup socks. Carry in case of local wild life charging you or if for some retarded reason you get lost you can hunt for food.
>>
>>929017
>>
>>929147
I've never overnights in winter but bring LOTS of easy to eat/cook food. You burn lots of Cals making all that heat.
>>
Are you car camping or backpacking? Car camping is easy; thick sleeping pad, warm bag, and lots of warm clothes. Backpacking? Get pro real fast or prepare to be fucking miserable
>>
>>929059
I was agreeing with you until you said canned food. All the things above that are absolutely necessary, all the things below are absolutely terrible ideas for a first time hiker.

>canned food
weighs too much for what you get, he'll more likely wind up in a shit position because of weight/being tired out from it, than he'll gain from it. Bring light shit like granola bars- quick easy energy that doesn't weight a fuck load.

>gun
if he's going with others, let one of them bring one. it's stupid to further complicate packing for your first hiking trip AND your first winter camping trip with a firearm. I'm not saying firearms are bad out there, I'm just saying weight is a tricky thing for a novice hiker, and carrying a heavy ass gun and ammo is only going to make things worse than better, especially if someone else is already packing one for bears w/e.

>utility knife
we talking like a standard outdoors knife? That's a great idea. If you're talking box cutter, I don't think that makes much sense.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.