[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I did it guys. I bought an Opinel No. 8, thanks to all the sc/out/s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: images-70.jpg (14KB, 408x361px) Image search: [Google]
images-70.jpg
14KB, 408x361px
I did it guys. I bought an Opinel No. 8, thanks to all the sc/out/s who recommended it. I'm gonna test it out this weekend up in the mountains.

Also, knife thread.
>>
>>928408
Fuck off nigger, there's already a knife thread, go post there you fucking self righteous piece of garbage.
>>
>>928408
>serious bottom tier shit

BFD.
>>
>>928415
Kek how much did you spend on your knife?
>>
>>928418
>Cold Steel Pendalton Lite = ~$15
>Condor Sapiens = ~$40
>Condor Stratos = ~$65

And?
>>
>>928408
gj and all but a thread didn't have to die for this self-fellating trainwreck of a thread
>>
>>928422
>threadlivesmatter#
>>
>>928422
Hopefully it was just a drug thread.
>>
>>928421
>Love and acceptance = Priceless
>>
>>928447
Chances are high it was a knife or backpack thread.
>>
>>928408
Is it just me or do these things seem cheaply made? Especially the metal swivel that acts as a blade lock. Just seems like it could fall apart.
>>
>>928561
They are shit.
>>
>>928408
>I did it guys. I bought an Opinel No. 8

I like how you act like this is an achievement, op.
>>
>>928561
They aren't. The most fragile thing on an opinel is the beechwood handle. That said, you shouldn't be batoning with this thing. Why would you?
>>
File: IMG_9532.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9532.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>928408
>knoife thread!
Make sure you get a good ferro rod OP. Keep you're knife sharp while playing bushcrafter.
>>
>>928624
You are an idiot.
>>
>>928408
why does anyone buy these garbage folders?
opinel is even shit tier in the style laguiole is at least a decent brand and they have some almost proper locks.
>>
>>928625
Keep wasting time and money starting fires and sharpening with two different tools.

>>928646
Because muh carbon steel meme
>>
Opinels are great and anyone who doesn't like them is dumb, stupid, and retarded.
>>
>>928561
Low tech =/= fragile

I feel safer with one of these than a cheap liner lock that has about 2mm purchase on the liner...
>>
File: IMG_1741.jpg (389KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1741.jpg
389KB, 675x900px
>>928408

I lost my EDC - which was a Kershaw Oso Sweet - last weekend while out innadesert shooting. Just found out I work down the street from BladeHQ, how convenient. I'd been wanting the Delica 4 for years now, just never really wanted to make the investment, but when I found out I worked so close by and I needed a new one anyway I went over and picked it up.

Straight out of the box on my first attempt to flip it open, it bit me a nice gash right on the base of my thumb. This is a sort of ritual for all my EDC knives that end of being good, so I think we are in for a great relationship. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up.

>inb4 gross safety orange
I got the orange as to avoid leaving it behind anywhere and just making it easier to find.

>Opi No.8
Nice. I loved my number 8, bought two of the Carbones and one stainless for more /out/ related activities before I got my Mora. They are great knives, and you can have some fun with forcing a patina on the carbon blades which is pretty cool. I'd recommend sanding down the end a bit to give it a more natural curve - I felt that made the grip far more comfortable. I also put some wood finish on mine and sanded it down just enough to avoid the gross glossy texture without losing the color. Opinels are in my opinion so of the most customizable knives just because you can do so much with the wood and blade.
>>
File: IMG_0247.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0247.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>928708
I like the orange. Mostly so it's harder to lose. But also when normies see orange or yellow like that, they think of it more as a tool and not a weapon.
>>
>>928408
OMG, you actually did it!

Dude, you're crazy! You really did it?

I want to party with you, madman!
>>
>>928681
>Low tech =/= fragile
no a crowbar is a lot less fragile than a shit opinel
i can bend the blade right back on your fingers with two of my own.
>>
>>929150
>a crowbar is a lot less fragile than an Opinel
Opinel haters, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>928408
Good choice OP.
Keep in mind that most of these replies come from people who think to know a lot about these things in theory and have zero experience.
Pkus it is a well known fact that any 4 chan board is utterly incompetent in its own topic.
I have been using a carbon no8 for a long time now. Works perfectly, sharpening it is childsplay. Sure it isn't a survival knife, you ain't gonna baton with it or something. Surely it isn't the best knife on the market, of fucking course a benchmade or a fallkniven or whatever will be a better knife, but no person needs a benchmade 162 for a fucking 4 hour hike or an overnight camping session.
Also it is a perfect edc knife, the lock is stable and sturdy and does the job. It takes 2 seconds to open it instead of 0.4, big deal.

But yeah, all this comes down to personal preference, if you go through a bunch of knives and end up liking something more than go for it, but in my opinion the Opinel no8 is an overall better choice than any benchmade or spyderco folder.
>>
>>928646
Because 9 euro for a decent folder with an alright lock is a damn good deal. Probably some reason people like them, I wouldn't know, i don't own nor have i ever used one.
>>
What's with all the anti-Opinel trolls?

I've got a No. 9 myself, and it's a fantastic knife. Plenty rugged and durable, it's been through all sorts of shenanigans and shit.

Granted, it's not as good as expensive overly thick and heavy chunks of steel for things like chopping, prying, stabbing stupid shit like car doors, hammering into wood for no reason, AKA things knives aren't meant for.

But as a knife, a simple thing with a sharp edge meant for cutting and slicing, it is just about perfect.
>>
>>929228
>decent folder
you and i have very different criteria for that i see.
>>929233
>rugged and durable
wat the fuck are you talking about, opinels are flimsy shits. their locks basically don't even exists.
>>
>>929264
What are you doing that the perfectly serviceable lock is not sufficient? If you need to exert so much force on the blade perhaps a machete or hatchet is more suited to the task.
>>
>>929271
well my folder has a tri-ad lock that's about the weakest i would consider for my personal use as far as /out/ general use is concerned.

the opinel would be superior for light tasks like eating with (the geometry would be better in every aspect). it can even do some careful
whittling. huge cons of the opinel if the wood gets wet the knife tends to malfunction and you can accidentally close it back on your fingers because the ring lock easily dislodges.

but i really only ever use the mora companion for everything, my folder is an edc and a backup blade innawoods. having a bread and bacon knife as a third blade would be way too redundant.

i could see an opinel as a secondary blade to some fuckhuge indestructible monster like an esee junglas or a busse. but those people that buy them would never go for it. they would rather bring an izula.
>>
>>929233
Basically limiting yourself by not buying a BKII.
>>
>>929264
They function perfectly, anything that would stress that lock so much as to break it is just simply not a task for a folder. If you wanna chop wood, baton, skin a deer or some shit of course you wouldn't use it, get a fixed blade hunting knife of your preference, but for literally ANYTHING that is considered as a job for a folding knife Opinels will not only do fine but be up there amongst the best.

In my view, as I am not a knife collector or anything, price is a factor that you consider when you buy a knife in an intelligent way. You don't buy something just because it's expensive, and don't condemn anything because it costs only a few bucks.
Mora classics and opinels are fucking high up there yet they cost less then a night out. And if you break it, well fuck, just buy a new one, buy a different one.
>>
>>929288
i can tell by your post you never used a decent folder. they fall barely short from fixed blades. if you can't baton with a folder it's a shit folder. but of course you don't want to do that unless you really have to (to preserve the quality of your tool to the outmost extent). i would never advocate buying a folder instead of a fix blade, but as a backup sure why not? it should be able to step up if your fix blade is lost or accidentally breaks tho.

>price is a factor that you consider when you buy a knife in an intelligent way
i agree which is why i bought the mora for $9 it's built like a fucking tank compared to an opinel but not actually prohibitively large or anything.

i would consider an opinel or a swiss army knife as a third blade only.
>>
>>929150
why are you bending a knife, fucktard
>>
>>928624
Good to see you're still up to old tricks
>>
>>929276
So in other words you have no actual need for a sturdier locking mechanism you're just a typical retard fanboi with some contrived fantasies?

I would assume if the lock was insufficient you could have come up with even a single situation in which that is so, within the normal parameters of knife usage, rather than that inane blathering.
>>
>>929298
If you need to chop/split wood why the fuck are you using a knife in the first place? Just use a hatchet it will be infinitely superior to whatever retarded chunk of pot metal you've been trying to hammer into the wood.
>>
File: IMG_0789.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0789.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>929349
It wouldn't be a knoife bread without the best time-and-money-saving trick!
>>
The knife is supposed to arrive today and I'm leaving tomorrow morning, hope it actually comes or I'm a bit fucked.
>>
>>928535
underrated
>>
I've carried opinel no.9 carbone in my pocket everyday for 3 years now and it's the perfect folder. I was a farmer until last winter and now a woodcutter.
You don't need a sturdier or thicker knife unless you're a fanboy. The blade has very good geometry and the steel holds well the edge, the locking mechanism will not come loose like that guy thinks and I don't really see how it would break, you'll break the blade before the lock. And even without the locking mechanism it won't close on you because you don't use a knife as a prybar.
Don't try to make it a meme because it's not, people love opinel because it's a great tool. In a survival situation all I would need is a hatchet and an opinel. The real meme are all the knives thicker than 4mm
>>
>>928708
Orange is patrician taste anon
>>
>>928408
Be really careful with that knife anon, its fragile. The blade is thin, so don't use it for anything retarded. I use mine to cut salami and other little tasks, would not have as a main /out/ knife.
>>
Well the delivery guy came while I was out getting a belt, and the post office is shut so no Opinel this weekend, I'll be taking my Muela pig knife instead.

>>929520
Just wanting to use it for cutting food, whittling wood, skinning rabbits, gutting fish, maybe making wood tinder
>>
>>929353
i never batoned before with a knife cause i do have a hatchet, but it's good to know you have that option. it's also possible you will not have the hatchet on hand all the time in fact i usually don't.
>>
>glorious year of our lord 2017AD
>not using square tip knives
Its like your not even trying to survive innawods
>>
File: 543.jpg (22KB, 385x275px) Image search: [Google]
543.jpg
22KB, 385x275px
>>929638
Shit forgot pic
>>
File: wha.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
wha.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>928408
Congrats OP, it's a nice compromise, quite a good one for a winegrower's knife.

>>929638
>>929639
>glorious year of our lord 2017AD
>using a scraper while out
>mfw
>>
>>929569
So whittle a wegen out of some other wood and use more wood to hammer the wooden wedge into the wood you wish to split.

Or just don't bother splitting the wood? It's not really a necessity ever.
>>
>>929651
>wegen
meant wedge wtf autocorrect
>>
I've actually batoned 3" thick wood with a #10 Opinel.
If you keep the lock not engaged it can baton safely because its pretty much just a blade.
Can't say the same for other folders.
>>
>>928408

it's tr/out/s
>>
File: images-103.jpg (12KB, 486x303px) Image search: [Google]
images-103.jpg
12KB, 486x303px
>>929655
Swegen cocksucker sanfrancisco
>>
>>929712
Kek! Great fuggin show
>>
>>929651
it would take a hell of a lot of time to whittle down a hard wood wedge with a pocket knife anon. and you probably have to fire harden and sharpen it for it to be real useful.
>>
As others have said, and I'll just reiterate, it's a great knife but as with any tool it has its purpose. I use my no.6 carbon for food prep and eating a well as small tasks that require a more "surgical" approach. I also sharpen it up with a diamond hone and leather strop after almost every use, it only takes about a minute total and it's much easier to maintain a nice edge than to let the blade get completely dull
>>
>>929354
7Cr17Mov

have fun with your dull as a spoon fake knife, moron
>>
>>929712
goddammit
>giggled/10

that show ended too soon. i heard a wildfire destroyed the renovated ghost town they used as a set and there was no way to come back for the next season

>welcome to deadwood. can be combative.
>>
>>930986
This. I have a #8 as my 'apples and pears' knife in my bag. It takes a nice edge, but it doesn't have the heft for real work. But it looks classy, and it doesn't freak some people out like when I pop out my Blur.
>>
>>928548
That's some real talk right there.

Or fishing, homegrowmen, bear attack, or primitive technology.
>>
>>928723
K bai, snek.
>>
>>929288
I've skinned several critters with my tiny folder.
No deer, but I did a pig once...

You don't exert much pressure. A sharp knife is the tool there. That and something to cut bones.
>>
>>929309
accidents happen you know, i had a folder close on my finger once because of shit lock and the spine struck a table top.
>>
>>929354
And stil,l you are an idiot.
>>
>>928646
They really aren't that bad depending on what you use them for. For out-related stuff, no, I would not use an opinel. But I got one as a gift and use it at work for various cutting tasks, and it's nice for everyday use. And since it isn't all tacticool, my coworkers don't get freaked out by it. And I know this is super niche, but working in a bookbinding shop, I've found that because it has a pretty thin blade it is very nice at cutting bookcloth without buckling up the edges. So I guess do what works for you.
>>
>>928646

>garbage

They're fine for basic EDC stuff, which is what they've always been used for. More than adequate for opening boxes, cutting fruit/cheese and other things.

Throw in cheap price, and there you go.
>>
>>928408
bought today to see if it's a meme or not, cost $11
it's pretty trash but I'll use it as a camp site food prep knoife.
>>
File: IMG_0723.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0723.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>932601
Did you get the carbone blade?

If you got stainless, you wasted your money. If you got carbon, at least you bought a meme.

>>932592
But mostly because it is one of two carbon blades you can get for <$20.

>>932393
>carbon

>>931037
I bet I can make a spoon pretty sharp. I also bet I fan find a fake Esee that claims to be made of SV30 or D2 for cheap as fuck.

>>931064
>carbon

>>931078
4u

>>932280
>carbon
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.