[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /out/, how do you catch a catfish? didn't wanna interrupt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: Channel Catfish 1.jpg (69KB, 700x456px) Image search: [Google]
Channel Catfish 1.jpg
69KB, 700x456px
So /out/, how do you catch a catfish? didn't wanna interrupt the already lengthy fishing thread.. let's make this a catfishing general. I'm a Floridafag if that helps.. though I imagine catching catfish works the same everywhere, so chime in!
>>
>>927249
How would this interrupt the fishing general? A question like this is perfect for that thread.
You can check up on some videos on catfishing, even look up videos specific to florida.

All I know is that catfish love scent and there's a bunch of options out there for bait. Flathead catfish however prefer live bait.
>>
>>927249
Chicken livers. Hot dog chunks that were left out for a few hours. Cat fish pellets. Pretty much anything smelly. Dead drift those baits on the botom and wait for a strike. The big hogs love to just sit on the bottom.
>>
Catfish are shit teir fish. Easy as fuck to catch and greasy as balls
>>
>>927256
They're delicious and are they can grow huge.
Nothing like trout but they're a good fish to target in a southern state.
>>
>>927249
It depends on what type you are wanting to catch.

Saltwater or Freshwater?

Channel Catfish: smelly bait (12 hours dead baitfish or chicken liver and chum the water)
Blue Catfish: semi-smelly to fresh cut baitfish
Flathead Catfish: Live highly active baitfish

With blue and channel cats, if you are chumming and not getting catching 1 about every couple of minutes after 20 minutes then move to a better location. Flatheads tend to roam shallows at night for baitfish. Chumming won't help for those and moving around from one spot to another may not help since flatheads cover a lot of water in a single night.

Some say that "ohhh but flatheads will bite on _____ bait!" or "I catch 5 channel cats in this spot int he past hour so I'm staying here!" but those things are handicapping them. You'll catch the largest flathead catfish on lively baitfish and when channel cats are in the area you'll get 20+ an hour.
>>
>>927256
They are great. No pinbones. Good flavor.

Don't eat ones over 18" because of pollution and they will taste better.

>greasy

I'm not even sure how that is possible. Are you frying or deep frying them? Perhaps your oil temps are too low and you are not draining properly.
>>
>>927261
I think by greasy he meant the slimy texture that they can have. But I agree with all of the above. Tasty meat, huge fish, good fight. Trout are still top tier for me, but catfish are lots of fun.
>>
>>927253
They just seem to have a good conversation going and I was hoping to cultivate a lengthy thread on all information regarding this particular fish.
>>927254
What is dead drifting? The extent of my fishing experience consists of catching a bream a few times with a cheapo Walmart rig and some worms. I'm not even sure they were bream. I know nothing about fishing, but have recently developed the desire to sustain myself by doing so. if I can catch 7 fish and feed myself for a week, I'll be set.
>>927260
I literally just wanna catch whatever type I can find. The areas I'm thinking about fishing in are brackish water channels, I go crabbing there from time to time, it's murky water but I have no idea what lives in it aside from crab and otter. How do you know what type of catfish is where?
>>
>>927270
Dead drifting is tossing the bait in and just letting it sink. The only movement it should have would be from the water current. This would be an excellent time to use a bobber to indicate when a fish bites.

As far as what type of catfish are in your area, you need to do your own research. Murky water sounds good for channels, but I don't know for sure.
>>
>>927261
Is it toxicly unhealthy to do so or does it just not taste as good? I suppose I'd be better off just leaving them be so somebody else can have the fun of catching a biggun', then they can keep mating in the water and make more fish to catch.
>>
>>927277
Alright, that sounds easy enough. Should I avoid using weights on the line? I'm thinking if I do that then it'll prevent any drift at all. Is there a certain way that you're supposed to rig your line that works best for catfish? Or is it just a straightforward "cast bait on hook" type of deal?
>>
>>927283
You can use weight, and I would recommend it. You need the bait to be as close to the bottom as possible. The split shot will not prevent it from moving with the current. Other than that I just use the bait on a hook, sometimes with a bobber and just go with that.

The only reason I say use a bobber is that you could end up waiting a little while for the fish to bite. Also, if you are new to fishing you may not be used to the feel of a fish biting. If you are then you can use a bobber or just feel the strike with your finger.
>>
File: IMG_0220.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0220.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>927283
Wut are you going for? Channel cats, I like dip bait rigs with a ~1/2oz bell weight about 18" up the line. Flatheads or Blues, probably some big live shiners or bluegill and hook that fucker in the back with whatever big hook (octopus hook probably).

Pic related shows the dip baits for channel cats. The sticky shit in the jars is way, way better than the dough balls. Otherwise chicken livers, smaller dead baitfish on the bottom, nightcrawlers al work for channel cats. Dude from TX who always kills it with channel cats uses this "CJ's Punch Bait" that is real similar to most dip baits. His technique is cast out on the bottom and if you don't get any bites in 15min, move to the next spot.
>>
>>927290
Did that research you mentioned. Pic related, looks like blue catfish is all that's around here. That said would second the advice from this anon?
>>927293
What technique is suggested for blues? I find it really interesting that they're different from one another
>>
File: Screenshot_20170109-123013.png (151KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170109-123013.png
151KB, 1080x1920px
>>927312
And of course I forgot the pic..
>>
>>927278
The major pollutants in fish are mercury and PCBs. Catfish have more than other types of fish in the same waters. Carp have even more. Cooking the fish so that it drains more fat away from the meat before eating will also lower the pollutant content.

Check your state's Consumption advisory warnings.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/prevention/healthy-weight/nutrition/seafood-consumption/_documents/advisory-brochure.pdf

>>927263
I don't get that with my fish. I'm not sure what it is.

>>927312
>>927314
Fresh cut baitfish. Fish that have oily fats are best (drum, perch, carp, etc).
>>
File: IMG_5825.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5825.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>927312
I've only ever gotten channel cats (that's all I had around me in IL) and from everything I hear, blues and flatheads are more of predators while channel cats are scavengers. Blues also get much larger. Flatheads get big and channels are the smallest (besides bullhead).

I believe with Blues, a lot of people will just do bluegill. Bring a little UL jigging rod, catch some ~4" bluegill, get a big octopus hook, hook it through the back, and toss it out there with a good size weight a foot or two up the line.

Might want to go with shiners too if using bluegill for bait is illegal there.

I think there is an anon in NC who lands some big blues from time to time. I believe he is the same one who talks about using the bluegill.
>>
>How to catfish:

Hello Paypal user,
We've recently upgraded our security and need you to verify your account information...
>>
Ideally you need some cheese. Use the cheese to catch a bunch of Mousefish. Put each Mousefish in a bucket to keep it alive as you catch them.
When you have enough mousefish put them on the line and you can use them to catch Catfish, put the catfish in a bucket as you catch them.
When you have enough Catfish, put them on a hook and use them to catch Dogfish. I dunno what eats dogfish though, maybe it's you.
>>
File: tigerfishy.jpg (123KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
tigerfishy.jpg
123KB, 900x600px
>>927364
You can use the dogfish to bait tigerfishys. They make good pets too apparently
>>
>>927249
I live in nj. when My father and I go cat fishing we have a jar of 15 year old eggs(salmon maybe, idk) the eggs are basically past a goo now. we dip a worm in the egg and then cast. literally 30 seconds and we have a bite.
>>
>>927256
Fried catfish is proof of two things, son:

1) God exists

2) He loves us
>>
>>927371
what waters of nj btw?
>>
>>927256
>Easy as fuck to catch

That's part of the appeal, buddy. Set some rods up by the river at night, invite a few friends, have a fire and hang out.
>>
>>927329
Awesome, just a few questions regarding gear. I looked up "UL jigging rods" and found a bunch of varying shit. It dawned on me that I have no clue what type of equipment to use. What kind of rod and reel do you use for catfish? What kind of line? And does the color of the line or hook make a difference at all?

Also, I can't find bluegills or shiners on lists for local fish. I'm willing to guess that's because they're not sport fish, but correct me if I'm wrong. What's the difference between a UL jigging rig and a catfishing rig? Sorry for being such a scrub.
>>
>>927326
>>927329
Can you keep bait fish alive overnight? Like in a bucket or something? I really wanna try live bait but if not I'll have to source something else.

Is it true you should use a treble hook if using bait pieces?

Also should I put ice in my catfish bucket? I'm not really sure what to do with them once they're caught. I've seen people use chains that have hooks on them so they can just tie the fish out in the water and let it swim about until they're ready to go. Would that be a better option than a bucket or cooler? I'm worried about them dying and going bad before I get as many as I want and head home.
>>
>>927604
For the UL rod, just something light with like 4lb line. It could be a 5' rod or 7'+, doesn't matter. But you get some small <1/8oz lures or just small hooks with some damn hot dogs and you can pull a ton of bluegill out in a couple minutes to use for bait.

UL meand Ultralight btw, which is normally for <1lb fish and like 1lb-4lb line.

>>927638
If you want to keep baitfish alive overnight, you need to keep the water aerated and somewhat cool. You could buy a cheap aerator for $10 from Petsmart or even the pet section of Walmart if you wanted to do that and then just keep em in whatever water vessel without overcrowding them. They don't like chlorine tho so be careful with tap water unless you let it sit out for a day before so the chlorine evaporates. Bait shops normally open early too, my local one opens at 5am everyday so even for sunrise fishing I can go get shiners before I get to the lake.

And the chain you saw is called a "Stringer" and you just thread it thru the gills to keep then alive. Cooler full of ice is the best option. After you catch the fish, throw it straight on ice and it will knock em out fast and keep them fresh.
>>
File: nuyugggaaa.jpg (13KB, 176x220px) Image search: [Google]
nuyugggaaa.jpg
13KB, 176x220px
>>927249

YO F OFF WITH ALL THIS OTHA NONSENSE.

MASTER CATFISHER HEEYYYAAAA.

YOU WILL NEED:
STICK
STRING
HOOK
A LEAD WEIGHT
STRONG FINGERS

AND THE ULTIMATE B8 M8 IS

CHOPPED UP HOTDOGS

THE SHITTIEST BRAND YOU CAN FIND

LET THEM RIPEN IN THE PACKAGE IN THE SUN FOR A DAY, STINKIER IS BETTER.

TOSS INTO A STUPID PLACE WHERE STUPID CATFISH LIVE AND STUPIDLY CATCH THEM. THEY LOVE THE HOTTIE DOGS NYUGGAA.
>>
>>927371
>>927535

Yeah, what waters of NJ
>>
>>927604
>Also, I can't find bluegills or shiners on lists for local fish

Use any baitfish. Like shad or herring. Goldfish if you really can't find anything.
>>
>>927535
>>927654
Paulinskill lake
Lake aeroflex
there's some super shitty swamps that got turned into a series of lakes along the Sussex branch trail, though I wouldn't eat anything out of them.

cat fish in nj sucks to eat though. it taste like mud.
>>
File: 1437826640018.jpg (760KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
1437826640018.jpg
760KB, 1280x1656px
>>927653
YOO MAN SCREW THIS OTHER NONSEEEENSE

BAAAASS IS WHERE THE GRAVY IS. GET DEM footBAAAAAALLZ

YOU WILL NEED
$500 BAIT CASTER COMBO
1000 YARDS OF BRAIDED LINE
AN ADDITIONAL 300 YARDS OF FLUOROCARBON
A PACK ZOOM FLUKES IN EVERY COLOR
A PACK YAMAMOTOS IN EVERY COLOR
SIZE 20/0 EWG HOOKS
400 DIFFERENT CRANK BAITS

and no matter what body of water- you need this $25,000 BAZZ FIZIN BOAT WITH A KILLER MOTOR.

NOW JUST CAST THIS SHIT ON STRUCTURE AND CATCH SOME MONSTER- DA FUCK? THIS AINT A BASS IT"S A PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE.

FUCK THIS TRASH FISH JSUT SLICE ITS GILLS AND THROW IT IT BACK IN THE WATER.
>>
>>927249
Be careful with catfish. About a year ago I was cleaning one and had a barb go through my finger. In one side and out the other. Decided not to go to the hospital because I'm too hard for that shit. Now I have a nueroma because I couldn't get the nerve back in when I stiched it up. Feels like I'm getting shocked when I touch it still.
That's the end of my blog post now
>>
File: _20170111_125543.jpg (1013KB, 2432x2295px) Image search: [Google]
_20170111_125543.jpg
1013KB, 2432x2295px
>>928641
Pic related. My neuroma
>>
>>928644
Just cut it off.
>>
>>927329

Live or fresh cut bluegill or other panfish is my go to catfish bait too. It tends to weed out the small fry as only the larger ones seem to favor it. It's hard to pull off the hook.

And sometimes you hook up a huge bass, especially on live fish under a bobber along a weed line. Its my preferred bait for 5+ lbs bass.

And if you aren't catching anything else you can usually snag panfish all day on jury rigged and still call yourself "fishing". Once I was so bored at a park that I took a stick, an old staple, and some thread from a run in my jeans, caught a pill bug from underneath a rock, and started catching panfish in a nearby drainage ditch.
>>
>>927604

If you have catfish in a body of water, you have bluegill.

They're part of a larger group of fish commonly called panfish, perch, sunfish, and a billion other coloquial names.

There's also like a dozen closely related species with wacky names like shell crackers, long ear sunfish, pumpkinseed, green sunfish, warmouth, goggle eye, etc.

They all more or less can be caught on tiny ass hooks with worms or crickets or any bug you can fund under a log or in the grass as bait. Artifical flies, grubs, and roostertails work too. Sometimes theyll nibble on anything g put in front of them. I've caught them using bare ass hooks.

There's almost nothing they won't eat or at least taste. They can be found in even the smallest seasonal ponds. They just show up. And they're usually at the bottom of the food chain, so if a body of water doesn't have them, something funky is going on.
>>
>>927256
>Easy as fuck to catch
Thats the point drink some whisky smoke your pipe bs with friends and eat great fish cooked on the fire
>>
File: Slip-Sinker-Catfish-Rig.jpg (127KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
Slip-Sinker-Catfish-Rig.jpg
127KB, 1000x769px
>>927249
Pic related is my preferred rig for catfish, sometimes I'll use others depending on the situation though.

20lb test monofilament line is generally plenty for about any freshwater catfish you're going to catch in North America, you might want to go up to 30lb test with a 50lb test "shock leader" if you're going to be exclusively targeting trophy flathead or blue catfish.

For channel cats I use treble hooks (usually size 4 or 6, try to find some that are 3x or 4x strong) and some sort of stink bait, I prefer CJ's Catfish Punch bait as far as store bought stinkbaits go.

For blues and flatheads you'll want to use a 6/0 - 8/0 circle hook (sometimes called an octopus hook or octopus circle hook), and some kind of baitfish. Personally I prefer live shad for blues and live bluegill for flatheads. Blues will also go for cut bait as well but flatheads feed almost exclusively on live fish.
>>
>>929939
Easier said than done.
>>
>>932396
I'll do it for you anon. :^)
>>
>>930059
Perch and sunfish are two different things.
>>
>>928641
Nice job, retard.
>>
>>927254
>hot dog chunks
Marinate those bad boys in some strawberry Koolaid. Kentucky catfish love strawberry koolaid hotdogs.
>>
>>932426
Depends on where you are. In the Southern US, many people refer to various types of freshwater sunfish colloquially as "perch" or "bluegill" regardless of what species of sunfish they actually are.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.