[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would it take to make a cabin in the winter in an isolated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: winter_cabin.jpg (158KB, 554x368px) Image search: [Google]
winter_cabin.jpg
158KB, 554x368px
What would it take to make a cabin in the winter in an isolated area sustainable? How would you do that?
>>
you make a small lean-to with a fireplace so you're able to insulate it and seal it effectively to hold heat enough to survive winter. then you build a cabin in the spring.
>>
>>926973
wait you don't mean "make a cabin", you mean "make a cabin sustainable in the winter". well fuck I think you need to start in the summer. for one thing you'll need several cords of firewood (a typical colonial homestead in the USA burned ~200 cords of wood per year, for example).

no idea if your scenerio requires hunting and growing food, or if you're just going to live in a cabin but still go to the grocery store.
>>
>>926979
What? I have a hunting cabin, I live in Alaska, and you only need about 5 cords or so. Is 200 cords the entire town?
>>
>>926983
Well you don't live in it all year though, have animals and support a family, heat and cook all day with it, etc.
>>
>>926985
A cord is 4x4x8. Half that to 2x4x8 and you think you are going to burn through that in one day? (365 days in year 1/2 cord a day = 400 days worth)
>>
>>926995
Well nægrœ I took a class at one point about the first New England colonies and the book said each homestead needed to spliut ~200 cords of wood per year for normal cooking/heating needs. So you 1. had to work-out hoe much forest they'd need for that to be sustainable and 2. figure-out how many hours of chopping was needed.

I don't remember exact number but it was a lot, and you needed to have like 2 sons to git it all done in a year.
>>
>>926998
Maybe they shouldn't build their houses in the shade. Maybe it had something to do with it being open and made of stone. We have a steel wood stove.
>>
File: 222671514_3e2557a4b5_z.jpg (99KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
222671514_3e2557a4b5_z.jpg
99KB, 500x375px
>>927002
well these were innocent times
>>
File: CacheLakeCountry.jpg (65KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CacheLakeCountry.jpg
65KB, 715x1080px
Pic related is the journal of a timber cruiser homesteading in northern Ontario. He was up there for several years, and the journal documents one year, January through December. He was active out in the 1950's, which I think are the years where we see the last of the hard, truly independent woodsmen working with relatively modern equipment. He had no problem getting all of his timber cutting done, but you more or less had to do it in the summer alongside hunting, foraging, and preserving. He went on a few hunting trips during the winter, but for the most part he just did nothing and fucked around with his buddies.
He grew his own garden during the summer, and also canoed/portaged ~50ish miles to the nearest settlement to pick up supplies on occasion.

You make a cabin sustainable through the winter by doing a shitload of work in the summer.
>>
>>927002
Using wood for cooking increases your use consideredably
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.