[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good evening, /out/ I'm going to be that guy now. Which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: KN IFE.jpg (27KB, 570x427px) Image search: [Google]
KN IFE.jpg
27KB, 570x427px
Good evening, /out/

I'm going to be that guy now. Which I never thought I'd be.

My grandfather is in hospital right now, he'll probably make it through the night, but after that predictions are sketchy at best. Probably not a question of weeks, probably days.

Aneurysm of the aorta, burst blood vessel, that sort of thing. So the prognosis is not good.

This man raised me (due to the absence of a dad) to be a real man, with /out/doorsing and such. Gave me my first pocket knife (pic related of the type - though I lost the real one when I was like 12), with the only instructions being "cut away from yourself", taught me angling, woodworking, sawing, basic auto repair - you name it.

To quote friends of my soon-to-be-wife, it's surprising I'm such an adequate, manly and even gentlemanly man, despite growing up without a father. But that's no surprise, that's just my grandpa, without him I'd be a useless pussy.

And now it looks like I'm about to lose him, and soon. I've had a talk with him, and nothing has been left unsaid, I've told him he's been more of a father to me than anyone else ever would have, and he's said if there's one thing he's happy about it's how I turned out - but still.

This fucking hurts. My mother is out of the country, haven't told her yet, and my grandmother (whom I also love dearly) has a heart condition, so I'm trying to ease her into it.

If I don't get a call from the hospital tonight, I'll call tomorrow morning, check how it all is, and probably bring my grandmother there & take him home for... no one knows how long.

My gf is lovely, but this is all a bit much to lay on her. I have no siblings, and my mother was his only child, so this is all on me now.

Hold me, /out/. This is not a good moment.
>>
>>926772
First so sorry, there are no words from me to comfort you, but I can offer support.

Second tell your mom and his wife now! You two may have nothing left unsaid, but you are keeping that from them.

All the best, anon.
>>
I just lost my grandmother whom I was very close to so I know a similar pain that you are feeling. Remember all those times you spent together while you were growing up? Those aren't going away just because your grandpa is leaving. They happened and they made you who you are, and you shaped the man he became as well. You have to remember that he loves you, and just because he won't be here forever doesn't mean that the love is leaving too.
You can get through this, and I sincerely hope you know that he is as comfortable as possible and knows that you care so much for him.
>>
>>926772
Sorry to hear that, anon. It's how life works and none of us will be here forever, make sure he is comfortable and try to be on his side when time comes.
You'll always have the memories of you two together, be strong.

I'll be here probably all night so if you want to share fell free to do so.
>>
>>926802
>>926808
>>926814

Thanks so much, guise.

I will inform my mother and grandmother when morning comes (which is in about 8 hours here).

Provided I don't get a call from an unknown number overnight. In which case that's it.

My mother is in fucking Dubai of all places right now, on a long-needed vacation, and she herself is due to turn 59, so if I can spare her a night's worth of heartache, that's a risk I feel I must take. Same goes for my grandmother, when I got the news, gramps was due to be transferred to cardiology, where they don't allow visitors past a certain hour. So I spoke to him in ER, but wouldn't have been able to drive to my grandmothers and back in time.

And I fully realize these are decisions I'll have to live with.

He's 87, and has had both a sound body and mind for essentially all of it, so he's had a good life, and he's said as much himself, he seems prepared for whatever comes. It doesn't feel much easier for me right now, but I guess it would just feel worse otherwise.

Thanks for the words of support, guys. This really does mean a lot. There's really nowhere I can turn at this hour - it's too late (and not really "urgent" as such) to call friends, and my significant other is really, really not fucking equipped to deal with this - normally I'm the strong one.

As far as reflecting goes - we've had some great times together, and at this I've been somewhat bracing myself for this moment, but that does not make it easy at any rate.

He was a man who, for all his faults - mostly being angry at my grandmother, whilst also being a teetotaller - made me the man I am today.

What does make me most sad is he won't see my kids (due in the works next year, we're planning 3, or more, until 2 are boys), but I guess I'll try and raise them right, and tell them stories of him.

No political views intended, but here's what I'll say about single mothering - your child will be robbed of a father figure far sooner than he's equipped for.
>>
>>926837
>7 girls, still trying
>different cultures, different values
>>
>>926837
Just honor him having a good life yourself and being happy, it's off your hands now, bro.
>>
>>926837
You're a good lad, OP. You've given him all you can give, and he's done the same for you. Just make sure everyone else gets that chance. In my family we've got stories going back hundreds of years and every time someone new hears them it's like that person is alive once more. Your kids will know of him, hell, they'll learn from you what you learnt from him. That's as good a way to go as any, I'd say.
>>
>>926837
>87
>be on death bed
>still pissed at granny

Who the hell was she fucking that he can't forgive her at 87, on his death bed?
>>
>pic related of the type - though I lost the real one when I was like 12)

That sucks. My grandfather grew up during the great depression and was a total DIY, outdoorsy type. He had a harmonica and a couple books that were his only entertainment through the depression and he gave them to me. I lost it all. He gave me some really old pocket knives that he had from when he was a kid. I lost them all.

I have a lot of regrets in my life but losing those things that my gramps gave me rank way up there.
>>
I feel you anon, my dad was a monster. My poppop raised me and tought me how to be a man. I still have the case knife he bought me. His sickness then death was hard. Im very sorry anon ill pray for you and your family
>>
>>927212
>>927189
>>926861
>>926856

Thanks so much, guys. This means a lot. You're a fine bunch of lads for sharing some kind words with me, a someone you've never met and probably never will.

Really does restore faith in humanity, in some small way. That there are mostly good folks out there, and that's a notion worth holding on to.

Gramps is in cardiology, due to be transferred from intensive care to regular, as nothing acute or critical is going on.

Chances for recovery remain slim - he's essentially got aneurysm of the aorta, and there's been a rupture - which caused hemorrhage that caused abdominal pain to bring him in. However apparently the internal bleeding has stopped - and barring another rupture he's hanging on.

At this point it's no sudden movements and staying in bed with some hope healing may begin. Surgery is sadly not an option, due to the diameter of the aorta, and his age. Visited him today with my grandmother - he seemed quite chipper, they'd medicated the pain away, and otherwise he was his regular self. Plus he was far from lethargic - he's aware of the situation and up for doing what gives him the greatest shot. A fighter if there ever was one.

So really it's a question of leave him where his state is most conducive to healing, and have some hope for... something at least.

He's still here, I've spoken with him, visited him with my grandmother, and I've told my mother. What's next? We'll see. But he's darn tough, and I like to think he's got that going for him.

At any rate - we've had the talk, said things men would normally leave unsaid, and at least it's neither months of misery through cancer, nor a stroke that leaves him a shell of the man I love so dearly.

So he's still here, and as a man who ate, smoked and did whatever the hell he liked and still lived to be 87, that's pretty fucking good, I'd say, at any rate.

Again, thanks for the support, that really has helped.
>>
>>927475
I hope he recovers brother. Remember sometimes the light burns brightest before it burns out. So dont get your hopes to far up. Seem like he raised a great grandson and keep supporting your grandmother. We are here for you anon.
>>
>>927521
I've got that in mind, and my hopes are low while my spirits are somewhat high, if that makes sense.

At best he pulls through in some aspect and we still have some time together. At worst - I've sad my goodbyes, we both know how we feel, and he's been himself to the end, not an empty shell, nor in pain. So that brings some comfort.

I've made my peace, last night I cried more than I'd ever admit, but now I'm at a place where I'll be more happy than anyone if he does pull through, yet am prepared for whatever comes.

He always told me stories of his father, who served in WWI, was wounded in the head and lost two finger (100 ago exactly btw), yet re-enlisted to fight the Reds again in 1919.

As far as mortality goes, I've come to think of it as greater men than myself passing on, so who am I to fear it. I feel the same way now, that even if he does pass, he will walk the path of his father, and his father before that, and I shall join them when my time comes, to whatever end.
>>
Thats a good thought to have anon. Im sure hes extremely proud of you and has every right to be. Honor him someday by passing on what he thought you. Thats how i honor my poppop. I took my nephew shroom hunting and small game hunting this fall to keep it alive. Keep us updated. Make sure you take care of yourself right now too. I know its hard to think about. Try to get yourself a bite to eat and some rest.
>>
Hey OP.

Have a grandfather just like that. Man was a forestry ranger and a farmer his entire life. Despite being a tech geek by profession, he's been a major influence on my view of nature and /out/ in general.

I know that feel my dude. I know what having that kind of person in your life can mean.

So just keep your head up. If you believe in god, there's no weakness in praying if that helps you. Keep your heart strong.

Because just as your grandfather was your rock, you're that rock now. It's not an easy role. It's not one anyone asks for. But it wouldn't be placed upon you unless you were strong enough, by his definition and any other, to be it. Be strong for him, as he was for you. Be strong for your granny, as he was for her. Be the man he raised you to be.

You can do this. You will make it through this.
If all else fails, we're here for you man.
>>
>>927536
>>927545
My thanks for your kind and considerate words are immeasurable.

Yesterday, when I first posted, I must admit I was a total wreck, shedding more tears than ever in my life. Guess that makes sense as I'm about to lose both my father and grandfather at once. At least where I'm from they say that's one of a couple a times when a man is allowed to cry.

Today I've held strong for all, and it will be my honour to pass down what he had taught me, and tell stories of him, and his kin, to my children. He set all the right values in me, of country, nature, and what it means to be a man. He always ever referred to my mother and grandmother jointly as "ladies".

I'm not really religious in the Christian sense - neither is he, despite being a baptized Catholic, and me a Lutheran - but as I said, I see this as him passing onto where all the great, brave men and heroes do, so there's no shame, nor room for doubt.

However I do feel that a good, kind thought towards him can never go awry. So thanks to you all.
>>
Hey, guys. Felt like I owed a conclusion, and final thanks for all the support you gave, no strings attached, to a fellow you'll never know.

My grandfather passed away in the intensive care unit at 00:20 on January 11th. There was no pain, his heart just gave and that was that, gone in less than five minutes.

And I must admit I'm far from the wreck I was when I first posted here about it. I truly feel I have made my peace, and instead of depression, bargaining and the like, I now feel that there is now something of warm, shimmering light in my heart, not the darkness I felt before.

Memories of all the good times with him, all the laughter, all the life lessons will be with me forever, I will cherish them, tell stories and tales of him to my children, and their children. His legacy and so he himself will live on through me, and I will continue to be the man he raised me to be.

And thanks for to the anon who said I must be the rock that he was for my family - I've talked for hours with my grandmother and have helped her get past the darker part. She seems to also have gotten over the most brutal pain, and onto the light and warming memories where I feel I am now. I've told her I love her and, what's more, need her, so she better not get any ideas that there's nothing left to live for. She smiled for the first time in days and agreed.

I feel I can be that rock, while a couple of days ago I felt I never could. It will be my honour to live as he taught me, and one in the far far future leave this world and pass onto wherever it is he went to, to join him and all of my forefathers.

Thank you guys, your kind words and thoughts helped me immensely through this. You're a good bunch of lads.
>>
That's rough man.

Now go blog about it somewhere other than /x/
>>
>>928761
Sorry for your lose.
>>
My sympathies OP. My grandpa was my father. Taught me every thing I know about being a man. I spent 6/7 days a week with him and always wanted to go for the seventh. He passed away last year, basically unexpected. Just a heart attack to hospitlization. Got released and it happened 2 days later. They said he was fine when he left. I visit his grave qt least twice a week just to talk to him. I still feel like I lost him yesterday. The pain will ease, the love never will. Always respect him with your actions and be the gentlemen he taught you to be.
>>
>>926772

Sorry OP, that sucks. Losing people is hard, but it's part of life. Write about him, get some pictures framed, and honor him. Be the man he's taught you can be, thats the best honor you can give him.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.