[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here hiked the Appalachian Trail, PCT, or whatever equivalent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: springer.jpg (811KB, 1600x1185px) Image search: [Google]
springer.jpg
811KB, 1600x1185px
Anyone here hiked the Appalachian Trail, PCT, or whatever equivalent?

Seriously considering hiking the AT, but I'm not entirely sure what to pack and prepare for.
>>
>>926093
Just some advice, that stone arch has scanners built in that track your cell phone, rfid tags and credit card data.

Have you had your DNC mind control "flu shot" this year?

>mfw, this year's batch was contaminated and Trump won!
>>
>>926106
Thanks, that was really helpful.
>>
>>926119
It's quality was on par with OPs question.
>>
File: 20170107_171933.png (190KB, 406x487px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_171933.png
190KB, 406x487px
>>926122
Thank you.
>>
>>926093
I've done long sections of the PCT and I'm trying for a thru-hike this year so long as the Sierras don't get too much snow.

But the PCT is graded for horses and a completely different beast from the AT so I don't know how helpful I can be. The most important thing is probably to pack light, though. Nothing that you don't need or won't use every single day. Every ounce matters.
>>
I wanna hike the great alpine trail, it's like 650km though
>>
File: NJ-PA border on the AT.jpg (172KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
NJ-PA border on the AT.jpg
172KB, 900x1200px
>>926093
Regarding the AT: first of all, you start in early Spring in Georgia, then work your way up so that you reach Maine in early Fall. Your deadline to reach the terminus at Mt. Katahdin is basically October 15, after which Baxter State Park is closed from dusk 'till dawn.

The last 100 miles of the trail, starting in the town of Monson ME, are usually considered the most challenging, as they traverse what can only be described as the middle of nowhere, even by AT standards. You will need to have 10 days worth of supplies going into it.

It also goes without saying that, while it may be possible to do section hikes without external support, for a thru-hike you're going to need at least one other person to send you supplies. Usually this is done by having boxes sent to post offices along the route by general delivery. Instructions for this are at http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub28/28c2_033.htm and http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/508.htm#ep1052038

If you need assistance, additional supplies, or even just a ride into town at any point along the New Jersey section of the trail, I'd be willing to provide it so long as you let me know in advance.
>>
>>926093
>Seriously considering hiking the AT, but I'm not entirely sure what to pack and prepare for.

No.

>I kind of want to climb Everest, but I'm not entirely sure what to pack and prepare for.

If you can't even figure out what to pack for a backpacking trip you're fugged. Just do a 50-100 mile section up by Vermont, and work your way up to hiking the whole thing.

Parts of it (I've only done the Northern section) get sketch as fuck, if you don't know what you are you doing it's going to suck dick at best, at worst you're going to fucking die.
>>
>>926347
>The most important thing is probably to pack light,
Their was an anon who hiked it and made a post about it maybe a year ago or so. It was funny how he said he didn't need/use 9/10ths of the stuff he brought.
>>
>>926093
Most important thing about hiking any thru-trail is to bring enough money. I spent $7 on half a gallon of water in Campo, and that was only the beginning of the endless spending spree.

Seriously though. Thru-hikes suck. I had infinitely more fun just hitch-hiking down there and sleeping along side the rail tracks and highways, meeting cool new people than I did while I was pushing to do 20+ miles per day in the desert with no time to enjoy nature and only ever talking to people that had nothing to say other than just what gear they'd purchased and how they were certain that they were making it all the way to Canada. It's sorta like going to Disneyland for vacation; losers will think it was the coolest thing that could ever happen but really, you just got sucked into a long expensive waiting line.

>tldr; there's way better ways to spend a few months camping than doing it with an itinerary.
>>
>>926850
Adding onto this, whiteblaze has an entire thread dedicated to mail drops. All the info you could need.
>>
>>926093
Tons of gear list, trail vlogs, and the like on Youtube. The post hike lists are the best place to start desu.
>>
I hiked the PCT last year and had a blast. Wish I'd fucked a hiker chick though, most were taken or lesbians.
>>
File: Hiking the cAT to Cathadin.jpg (372KB, 900x594px) Image search: [Google]
Hiking the cAT to Cathadin.jpg
372KB, 900x594px
>>927025
Presumably this is the initial planning stage of the hike, just after the decision to commit to it has been made. Admittedly it probably should have started several months ago for a hike this year, but there's still enough time as long as OP gets things in gear.

>>927082
By the time in one's life where you have enough resources to hike the AT, most women are indeed taken, plus young women are often reluctant to take on a thru-hike, for a number of reasons which I hopefully do not need to enumerate.
>>
File: 20160726_160152.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160726_160152.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>927082
I know it's "hike your own hike" and all that, but I've found the hikers who like trying to get in girls' pants and spending a bunch of time drinking and smoking weed in Casa de Luna or Kennedy Meadows or wherever are pretty insufferable. The ones I really respect are the people who go in, do their laundry, take a shower, pick up their food package, refill water, and then GTFO.

I prefer spending as little time around other people as possible while I'm out. Thru-hiking for me is my chance to be alone with my thoughts out in nature and get away from the materialism and hedonism of society.

sage because no one has to give a fuck about my opinions
>>
>>927055
sounds like you just don't like hiking
>>
>>926093
WCT was crowded as fuck and I was forced to go with a group of 5 other people who were a bunch of whiners and complainers.
>>
>>927335
>The ones I really respect are the people who go in, do their laundry, take a shower, pick up their food package, refill water, and then GTFO.

Yeah, that was me. I spent one night at Casa de Luna, and one night at KM (jesus that place was disgusting). I never got sucked into the "vortex" - after I showered and had my food in town, I couldn't wait to get back on the trail. I just felt like I could have done more to loosen up on trail. Maybe I was respectable, but all I’ve done in life is work and felt like I’ve missed out on much. Still had a great time on the trail. Generally despised a lot of the folks in their early 20s though.
>>
>>926850
>You will need to have 10 days worth of supplies going into it.
by that point hikers are doing 25-30 miles every day. You only need 5 days of food.
>>
I'm hiking the thru hiking the AT in like 40 days.
>>
i live 5min away from the start of the trail baby
>>
I carry a Qur'an on my hikes.
>>
>>928756
is that possible
>>
>>928756
Stay warm senpai. I'm starting 3 weeks after you.
>>
File: large.jpg (70KB, 707x462px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
70KB, 707x462px
>>929041
kek

>>926093
If I get laid off next month, I think I'm going to give this a go. 2 months severance will keep my wife content back home and the hike would be a birthday gift to myself for my 30th.
>>
>>928754
No, the 100 mile wilderness is also extremely rugged and diffict to traverse. You need seven days supplies, plus three days padding for emergencies.
>>
>>929041
I mean that's when i'm starting.. Actually though yeah it sorta is, there was some dude that did it in 43.
>>
>>929841
Is this a joke lol
>>
>>929585
2 months severance and her backup dick you mean
>>
File: 1469402994441.jpg (55KB, 378x566px) Image search: [Google]
1469402994441.jpg
55KB, 378x566px
>>926106
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.