[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's face it. 90% of the time you use your SAK, you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 45

Let's face it. 90% of the time you use your SAK, you're using the knife and it's a shifty knife. The handle isn't great and the steel doesn't hold an edge. What are some SAK alternatives that actually have good steel? Bonus points if it has a big and small blade.

I know there's a boker out there thats a serious contender but it's only got 1 blade.

You can get a case stockman with a punch that'll cover a lot of uses but doesn't have all the tools of a SAK.

Are wengers any good? Anything else out there to consider?
>>
no, there's no alternatives. saks are great for what they cost and offer.
t. rep salesman
>>
File: 256.png (23KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
256.png
23KB, 489x423px
I primarily use the bottle opener and corkscrew.
>>
>>925424
Go outside ya bum. I never use those except at home. Glass is too heavy to pack around.
>>
I use one of these.

>>925430
Weak Pansy Ass Faggot.
>>
>>925412
Leatherman Sidekick or Wingman
>>
>>925479
This
Leatherman has bretty good metal quality
>>
>>925479
The Leatherman Squirt or Micra are more SAK size though
>>
>>925564
How big of a knife are you trying to get? If you want a 5" blade, you aren't going to fit it into a 3" tool. Leatherman does have a few models with fancy steel and aside from that their regular stuff isn't bad. Lots of them also have locking blades which is a huge step up from losing a finger to the SAK.

Sounds like you just need to get a decent ~4" folder and then carry something else if you are consistently in need of the SAK gadgets.
>>
>>925568
I'm not OP.

I own every knife I want to own already.
>>
>>925424
So do I but rarely for alcohol

SAK is handy, for stuff where I have to cut anything more than boxes or string I'll get a proper knife too
>>
Honestly, I feel if a victorinox doesn't cut it for whatever you're doing, you're asking too much of it. Wengers imo are a notch worse.

Get a secondary blade for heavy work, nessmuk style.
>>
File: 20161213_105949.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161213_105949.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Sak is fine, but no pliers! I carry a wingman. Leatherman is the way to go.
>pic related its my edc dump
>>
File: products-0200303.jpg (40KB, 900x977px) Image search: [Google]
products-0200303.jpg
40KB, 900x977px
>>925424
>>925452
>not wanting to impress plebs
>>
>>925412
I mostly use mine for the scissors and screwdrivers and only occasionally as a knife. I carry a separate knife and only cut with the SAK when I'm around people who might freak out if they see me pull out a Spyderco or whatever.

What I'd really love is a good fusion of a high-end folder and an SAK. If a good company made one that was just like the classic SAKs, but with a one hand opening locking blade made of high-end steel, nicer handles, and a pocket clip I'd EDC the fuck out of it.
>>
My sak does fine. I've even batoned dry pine with the blade.

The saw cuts way beyond its size.

Farmer or Bundeswehr are best SAKs
>>
File: Boker-Tech-Tool-Carbon-7-02.jpg (91KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
Boker-Tech-Tool-Carbon-7-02.jpg
91KB, 615x461px
Anyone try pic related?
>>
File: IMG_1045.jpg (2MB, 4012x2843px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1045.jpg
2MB, 4012x2843px
>>925629
>>
File: leatherman_chargetti-knife.jpg (140KB, 1000x797px) Image search: [Google]
leatherman_chargetti-knife.jpg
140KB, 1000x797px
>>925412

Embrace the multitool. it's well worth it.
>>
File: 1479831688265.jpg (152KB, 600x1213px) Image search: [Google]
1479831688265.jpg
152KB, 600x1213px
>>925583
Me too.

...except the next one.
>>
>>925651
>not breaking the bottle and drinking from the jagged edge
>>
>>925879
Looks nice but it sucks you have to pay an arm and a leg just to get a 3" blade made of some good steel.

I'm sure it is worth it if you don't lose the thing.
>>
>>925888

I think the charge tti is the exception

The only genuinely great multitool. I dont regret paying full price for mine when I did. It's almost perfect.

It's what Tim Leatherman carries and uses, btw
>>
>>925412
The idea of putting together every tool you could potentially need for the rest of your life in one is dumb, and was not the purpose for inventing the SAK. Soldiers needed to be able to open their food and disassemble/reassemble their guns, and a palm-sized rectangle was harder to lose than the loose odds and ends that were otherwise needed.
IMO all you really need should be a mid-to-large sized folding knife and maybe a separate tool with just a corkscrew, can opener, bottle opener, and the small blade for cutting boxes so you can open food packages. If you wanna tack on anything more you should just get a tool belt.
>>
>>925859
Glue for huffing?
>>
>>925882
Ain't that the truth though.
>>
>>925651
what is this
>>
>>925412
I've never had issues with the knife. I generally prefer carrying my SAK around on a day-to-day basis because unlike larger folding knives, I can usually get it around campus security by calling it a "tool" as opposed to a "weapon". I leave the bigger knives in my car.
>>
>>926884
This. When people think of threatening knives, they're not thinking of SAKs.
>>
>>926891
They still don't let them in courthouses or on aircraft though, but that kinda goes without saying these days.
>>
File: IMG_1592.jpg (56KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1592.jpg
56KB, 1200x1200px
>>926897
Back when I used to ride BMX as a little kid, I always carried around a 6mm hex key for crank bolts and the stem and shit.

I think I was like 14 and my mom dropped me off at an A Perfect Circle concert and I had the hex key in my pocket and the fat ratchet nig doing security made me throw it out.

>moral of the story
Nigs don't work so they don't know what tools are. That excuse would never work with them. I'm sure they could find a way to rob the corner store with it so it must be a weapon.
>>
>> when I'm around people who might freak out

>> get it around campus security by calling it a "tool"

>>When people think of threatening knives, they're not thinking of SAKs.

To be honest, this is all probably the biggest advantage of SAK's in my opinion. I have plenty of knives that are objectively better than a SAK but I know that if I carry them that I risk some overzealous cop arresting me on some obscure local law and the last thing I need is to get entangled in the legal system.

I know that most people look at internet pages that give knife laws by state and they then say "Oh, I can carry any blade less than 3" concealed in AZ, so I'm good." What they don't realize is that individual cities often have their own laws that supersede state laws and that are far stricter.

For instance, in Arizona you might have a state law that has the standard 3" or less concealed is OK thing but then you go through Scottsdale and ANY KNIFE in a public park is a crime or you go through Tempe and ANY KNIFE in an establishment that serves alcohol is a crime, etc.

Since I am not going to research every single law for everywhere I go I figure its easier to just carry the least intimidating most politically correct knife that I can. Which for me is a SAK.
>>
>>927183
>To be honest, this is all probably the biggest advantage of SAK's in my opinion

Totally.

>be me last year
>stopped by police
>anon, do you have any knives or weapons on you?
>yes I have a knife
>popo stiffens up
>tell him its a swiss army knife
>popo visibily relaxes, doesn't even ask me to take it out my pocket

I carry a SAK on a dangler when at work. I'd probably carry a SAK all the time if I could get one with the layers I want:

>knife
>multi use opener (with the flat head end)
>saw
>scissors
>philips screwdriver on the back
>>
>>925884
> being retarded
> not pushing the cork in with a knife/stick/screwdriver

welldonechump.jpg
>>
>>927194
>I'd probably carry a SAK all the time if I could get one with the layers I want:

Victorinox could make a killing by letting people buy custom knives or putting out a SAK "kit" where you could build your own with the specific tools you want.
>>
>>927395
They sure would compared to the custom SAKs - I got a quote and it was around 200 dollars iirc.
>>
File: SZAKNI00101000_LS5R.jpg (260KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
SZAKNI00101000_LS5R.jpg
260KB, 1500x844px
Here comes a new challenger!

Swiza d03.
Don't know if it's really any better steel. Grippier scales, liner lock.
>>
File: P1000344.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
P1000344.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
>tfw airport security swiped my pocket knife after I left it in my bag from a mushroom hunt
I got it from my father who used it while he was on Interrail in the 80s. I did the Camino de Santiago with it.

Looked like the one in the bottom of the pic, only with a serrated cut which my father made before going on Interrail. It still cut through pretty much anything. Maybe the blade was slightly larger.
>>
File: 105541-105541-2-Kopie.jpg (115KB, 1498x1250px) Image search: [Google]
105541-105541-2-Kopie.jpg
115KB, 1498x1250px
>>927451
Hmm.. seems like this style of pocket knife is called a Hippekniep and is still manufactured. Maybe I'll get a new one.
>>
>>927474
Looks like a case sod buster with wooden handle.

The tsa should let you mail stuff to yourself instead of just confiscating it and then selling on ebay. It's such a load of horseshit. If you can hijack a plane with a 1 inch mini sak, then you deserve the plane. Everyone on it is worthless if they let you do that.
>>
>>927435
Apparently the blade on these is 440, 57 rhc. So an improvement over victorinox.
>>
>>925412
wenger has been the same company as victorinox for nearly 12 years they've only just phased out the brand so you either know fuck all about SAKs and are trying to troll

in terms of real use, SAKs are fine, the blades will take a hair popping edge ( although as you pointed out it doesn't last long) ans are made with materials that require incredibly little maintenance- you'll get spiting far sooner on a Leatherman than you will on an SAK just down to the high chrome content of the steel

boker tectools use 12c27 stainless for their blades (have a tech tool 1) it's not really much to rave about though, the hollow grind i don't like. I get far more use from my victorinox cadet
>>
>>927435
Looks nice but I'm sure it's not 20 bucks.
>>
>>927609
It's 35 which isn't too bad, but it seems a bit wonky. Something about the liner lock release being pressed through the rubber scale seems like it's asking to fail eventually.

All I really want is a sak that holds an edge and doesn't cost a ton.
>>
>>927682
yeah I don't see why they can't do a run of 12c27 or vg10 or similar steel.

Even if it were just an option on the most popular options - the Farmer, for example, already gets shilled to death, imagine the frenzy over one with a decent steel?
>>
>>927850
its 440c which is comparable to 12c27... vg10 is something else
>>
>>925412

it may not hold an edge but it's the easiest knife to maintain, I can get a razor edge on one by sharpening it on an upside down coffee mug
>>
>>925858
I've watched a review on it in German on youtube. From what I've understood and seen (mostly seen, my German is shit)
>the blade is longer and more robust
>the saw, corkscrew, punch and bottle opener are pretty much the same thing as on Vics
>the serrated blade is retarded and may be dangerous if you try to use the screwdriver that's at the end
>the scissors are good only for paper, they are significantly worse than Vic ones
I have mixed feelings about this one, it needs some improvement to rival Victorinox knives. It would be better to carry a dedicated folder and a SAK separately.

Also, why is Cadet so insanely popular? It's nice, but it's not some ultimate gentleman knife like some people say. Is it because nutnfancy likes it?
>>
>>928011
2 layers.
Super slim alox.
You can file your nails with it?

I'm not sure why cadets are popular, but 2 layers is perfect for sticking in your pocket and forgetting about it until you need it. If I wanted an alox, I'd pick a pioneer or electrician over a cadet. An awl seems more useful than a nail file.
My edc is a spartan, though.

Gotta stop looking at saks now before I end up buying another... there's 10 million configurations and they're all acceptible. (Except the champ)
>>
>>925697
Man I had the best designed knife years ago with a beautiful blade shape and everything could be flipped out single handed.

Unfortunately it was made by Buck and so the metal was awful. I mean really awful. Even the two screwdrivers were bent like fuck after a couple of months.

But seriously great design.

Before and after that one, SAK helmsman all the way. Used it as a hammer a while ago and so it needed a warranty job - pretty sure I just got a new one for the cost of postage
>>
>>927878
I'd rate 12c27 over 440c, had a brain fart tho and had meant to type 154cm or vg10 (or even S30V that'd be nice)
>>
>>926884
>>926891
i live in the nanny state of CA and EDC a leatherman to work, school, bars, whatever. The only place where i've had issues is places where they literally check for weapons. they always miss my utilikey though
>>
>>927183
the carrying innapark/innabar thing is basically only on the books so the police can arrest you for being a dick. You can carry your spyderco or whatever as long as you aren't simultaneously a pain in the ass. Not suggesting you take a risk you aren't comfortable with, but it chaps my ass to see people carrying a tool they don't like because of some busybody city councilmember
>>
>>927240
and then you go to pour and the cork blocks the neck. is this your first day?
>>
>>927850
>don't see why they can't do a run of better steel
SAKs are for opening boxes and cutting oranges. i'd guess 99% of people who use one as their primary don't even know there are different grades of steel
>>
>>928672
True but there is a market, there's already swissbianco doing custom sprint runs and they sell out fast so there's definitely demand.

Just like leatherman have premium steel options it makes good business sense for SAKs to be offered in a similar way.
>>
>>928666
retardo, you keep the knife in until the wine level is low enough for corck to float horizontally

stay fat
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (172KB, 1000x749px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
172KB, 1000x749px
>>928686
>tfw no gold alox bushcrafter
>>
File: oh god.jpg (57KB, 362x344px) Image search: [Google]
oh god.jpg
57KB, 362x344px
>>928698
>be you
>finally convinced a grill to come on a picnic with you
>"a glass of wine for you, m'lady?"
>you forgot the corkscrew
>spill a wine everywhere trying to pour with a goddamn knife stuck in the bottle
>"t-this is how real outdoorsmen do it"
>realize you forgot to bring your insulated fannypack too
>spaghetti is cold
>>
>>927850
>>928686
I hate how conservative Victorinox is. They know well that they are the most popular brand when it comes to multifunction knives, so they don't come up with any significant changes, like including a pocket clip or getting rid of that hook and replacing it with an actually useful tool, because why would you take a risk and make an effort when your products sell so well anyway. A little bit of chink competition would do them good, I hope so at least.
>>
>>927474
Its a Sodbuster in English. Some brands that still make the pattern, and where;

KissingCrane (Italy), Carl Schlieper Eye Brand (Germany) , Böker (Germany), Böker Arbolito (Argentina), Case (USA), RoughRider (China), Schrade (China)

There are probably more, but thats just off memory.

I own two Kissing Cranes and a Böker Arbolito.
>>
I carry Leatherman sidekick.

Leathermans are like SAKs for adults.
>>
>>928758
Yeah I love my sodbuster, O1 steel, orange G10 scales. Great blade shape
>>
>>928759
Leatherman is better for fixing shit around the house or carrying with you at work. The knife is more awkward to use though. They're also way heavier.
>>
>>925412
I really like the Fieldmaster, the trade of the Philips head screwdriver instead of the corkscrew is always advised in my view.

inb4 hurr durr just use the flat head, I prefer the grip I can get with the Philips on the back.
>>
File: 14842728450301004266468.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
14842728450301004266468.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Well /out/... I did it. Late night amazon is dangerous.

Infinitely better blade. Better steel, better shape, thicker. Slightly heavier and thicker overall. All the tools are thicker and feel more sturdy. Flathead on a sak feels like you could bend or break it but this one is rock solid. Same could be said when comparing the blades. The belt cutter seems good for cutting cordage with a pull cut, but if you ever try to use that screwdriver on the tip it'll probably close up on you so it's probably more realistic to call it a nail cleaner.. Scales are way nicer. Feels better in the hand, especially if you take the belt clip off. Even though the clip was a main draw, i almost want to leave it off cause it feels so nice without it. No toothpick to clean the nail nicks and nooks and crannies, though. Or tweezers for spinter's or ticks. No awl on the 2 layer version which the 2 layer Sak has. I'll miss having that second small blade too, I think.

Sak is probably still my edc since it's lighter and thinner and people don't freak when you pull it out. But this will get used in those times where before I would've carried a Sak and a separate folder. Now I just gotta wait until it warms up a bit so I can hit the trails with it.
>>
File: 14842770367061982665864.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
14842770367061982665864.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>929427
>>
>>929456
/out/ hates thick blades

Nice pry bar fag.
>>
>>925888
I agree completely, a multi purpose plier does a great job and cost a fraction of the price
>>
>>927240
Right in the nostalgia, man
>>
>>929427

I don't know how much you paid for it but I'm looking at the online store and Boker is easily 2.5-3 times the price of that SAK. My vic Swisschamp cost roughly the same and along with all the tools you listed it has a philips screwdriver, metal file, woodsaw, scissors, pen (and some other memetools like a magnifying glass)
>>
>>929662
Cost me 32 americlams. The sak was 20 or so? Don't remember.

Swisscamps are a little uhh... excessive. For that size I'd just go with a leatherman. The boker feels like a real solid knife that happens to have a few extra tools rather than a bonerfide multitool like the sak.
>>
>>929338
more awkward to use than a SAK? show me someone one handed opening a regular SAK
>>
SAK holds a edge very well
The steel is realy hard i tried to scratch the blade´s of my knifes together and the SAK can scratch every knife i have and doesnt gets scratched itself
>>
>>930155
You're the only person to say this ever. Where did you buy this magical sak?
>>
File: Baker_Custom_Pioneer_X_grande.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Baker_Custom_Pioneer_X_grande.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
>>928686
Speaking of custom SAKs, I saw this Chris Baker custom recently and like it a lot. Shame it's $150 and still the same tools as a normal Vic.
>>
File: whyguy.jpg (101KB, 494x372px) Image search: [Google]
whyguy.jpg
101KB, 494x372px
>>930265
>$150 for different handles and handle pins
>>
File: db_cooper_enjoys_bourbon.jpg (17KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
db_cooper_enjoys_bourbon.jpg
17KB, 413x395px
>>930269
being so poor 150$ seems alot for a custom knife you'll use for the rest of your life
>>
>>930269
>calling them handles

they're called scales, son

>>930303
I agree but gear fags gonna be gear fagging, and 99% of them are not buying 'a knife for life' they're buying to satisfy their lusting.
>>
>>930303
Yeaaaaa but the $20 version is just as good, so you know.... get the $20 one...

Also, use for the rest of your life until you lose it or your weak will and poor decision making kicks in and you buy a $200 one to replace it.
>>
>>927183
Carry what ever you want.

I moved to AZ in '73 and have never, ever considered dropping my EDC Wave or folder in any park on the when I lived in SoSco or went to bars in Tempe.

And I never will. And you can count on most guys over 30 to carry a folder in AZ.

My sixgun is another thread...
>>
File: best-made-company-axe-kit-3.jpg (77KB, 575x390px) Image search: [Google]
best-made-company-axe-kit-3.jpg
77KB, 575x390px
>>930303
It's not a custom knife. It's a stock knife with different handles and handle pins. It's exactly like buying a hipster axe.
>>
File: shit costs extra.png (1MB, 1162x1422px) Image search: [Google]
shit costs extra.png
1MB, 1162x1422px
>>930303
oh good, i almost never get to post this pic
>being so bad with money that you spend it on a casemod for a shitty knife
>>
>>930303
yeah jeez what a fag. while we're on the subject, do you want to buy a custom keyring to put the knife on? It's actually just a regular keyring, but i colored it black with a marker. Only 100 bucks!
>>
>>930418
Oh my god that really is a hipster axe. I didn't think it could be done.

It's the accessories and presentation that does it
>>
>>928738
> be you
> being unable to use basic motor skills
> spilling wine
> you probably break spaghetti before boiling
> you probably use a spoon to try minimize your poor spaghetti skills
>>
>>930688
>>930418
>>930690
the plebs of society

>ohhh bro I got you good with my shitty strawman argument. m-muh 15$ wrangler jeans from walmart are just as good as your 200$ slacks from brooks brothers.

yeah no. you're a loser and would rather rationalize to make yourself feel better about stretching every dollar expeditiously than imrpove yourself make more money and buy items of character and quality.

Nobody even needs to insult you to lower you to your position.
>>
File: photo.jpg (118KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
118KB, 900x900px
>>925568
>locking blades
illegal in the UK
>>
>>930830
haha we're not even in the homeless general

but bums are still blasted
>>
>>930830
But, see, flushing $200 down the toilet means that you wasted $200, not that you bought a super deluxe premium flush. You wasted your money on gaudy shit that was not worth it.
>>
>>930834
To think that you faggots used to rulr the world.
>>
>>930830
that knife is the equivalent of buying the wranglers, writing "BROKS BROTHRS" on them in crayon, and charging 200.
>character
sure, maybe
>quality
same tools m8
>>
File: Britain.png (25KB, 560x467px) Image search: [Google]
Britain.png
25KB, 560x467px
>>930834
>illegal in the UK

>being British
>present day
>>
>>928686
They probably have a lot of people thinking about the course of the company. I guess they don't want a premium line, even though i'm sure they will sell good, because for a lot of people that would imply the normal ones are made out of inferior quality steel, and victorinox has a good name now. As stated before most of the people using a sak as their primary probably don't even know there are different qualities of steel, introducing them to this would be shooting in their own foot.

It's the same principle why mc donnalds don't offer a veggie option, while i'm pretty sure it would sell it would eventually lead to less people going to mcdonnalds because it makes people more food aware.
>>
>>932420
They'd be too expensive for the jump in quality. There'd be nothing like the economy of scale they have now now with their cheaper knives. So they'd be taking a chance on a small number of marginal sales when 99% of sak owners probably wouldn't even notice a difference no matter what steel is used. Most sak owners probably don't even sharpen their blades and just buy new ones because their so cheap.
>>
>>932434
I don't think they'd be too expensive for the jump in quality considering there are people willing to pay 150 dollars for just different scales on them >>930265. I'm pretty sure SAK can make bigger improvements while also doing it on a larger scale and thus making a better knife for well under 150 dollars.

I really think it's all about marketing, keep your costumers unaware of quality differences and they will keep thinking your product is the best around.
>>
>>926910
Me too, and then I ground a screwdriver blade into the long end.
>>
>>930303
This, but I've got a 200.00 hand made folder that I literally hate to take out of the house, because I LOSE EDC KNIVES
Case stockman is in my pocket, going on a little over a year.
>>
File: tumblr_l419rgz8ra1qzlo81o1_1280.jpg (58KB, 909x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l419rgz8ra1qzlo81o1_1280.jpg
58KB, 909x480px
>>930813
Don't forget the artisanally painted custom handles.
>>
>>925412
I've got a Victorinox SAK, knife itself is quite good and doesn't dull fast, although the plastics on the sides got loose quite fast.
>>
>>925412
5$ winchester multitool
Swiss army knives or SAKs as you call them are for fags
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>932968
Kek
>>
File: 20170118_135948.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170118_135948.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>932970
Ma nigga
>>
File: IMG_1762.jpg (17KB, 192x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1762.jpg
17KB, 192x256px
>>933037
That looks nicer than the one I had. I probably bought those like 15yrs ago when I saw the little set at Walmart. IIRC, the larger multitool wasn't a Leatherman style like yours (or the little one in my pic), but rather had the pliers at the end and the one handle pops out (looked just like pic related). I do remember it coming with a bunch of driver bits. And the little one in my earlier pic has scissors and the tonail clipper which broke because they are trash.
>>
>>933050
Ive had mine for probably 5 years and the only thing to wear out was the wire cutters. I used them to cut a bunch of chicken wire and they got knicked up. But shit i like that style with the pop out plyers
>>
File: CA095a.jpg (32KB, 1039x457px) Image search: [Google]
CA095a.jpg
32KB, 1039x457px
>>927451
The style is called "Sodbuster". Its a really awesome style but because of that, its a pain the ass to find any good ones. GEC makes the best without a doubt but because they make semi-custom knives that people collect, you're probably never going to get one.

Case makes some el cheapo ones though.
>>
>>933037
>knife is the most used tool
>have to open the multitool, take out the knife, and close the multitool
>doesn't even lock
wouldn't even pay $5
>>
>>932770
>when you want to go on a killing spree with an axe while still looking F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S
>>
>>925412
I've owned the same Leatherman Wave for 16 years or so. I carry it on my belt every day. It's not the best tool for any particular job, but it's always there. It's like another appendage.
>>
File: hipstersgoaway.jpg (51KB, 1549x432px) Image search: [Google]
hipstersgoaway.jpg
51KB, 1549x432px
>>932770
Oh my.

>store in my city sells wetterlings, hultafors, helle, etc.
>over 50% of store is old timey shaving cream, razors, and beard oil
>each time I go in to look at axes and knives, there's some guy looking exactly like your pic there
>skin tight jeans
>checkered shit
>greesed up hair
>beard
>giant mjolnir or other norse tattoo
>delicate, feminine hands
>they buy displays for 200 dollar axes

i hate them
>>
>>932770
>>
>>933333
>talks shit on mine
>doesnt post his
>plyers is most used tool
Kiss my ass
> bbbbut my shweet SAK is only 10 times the cost and less useful...
>>
>>933371
>>932770
>>930418
i don't get it. why would somebody buy an axe who has no actual use for it (assuming hipsters are city-dwellers).
this always reminds me of this:
>Wilderness Collective is a company that exists to lead men on legendary adventures. The WC-000 Beta expedition was a 334 mile journey from Sequoia National Forest to the legendary Yosemite valley. Watch the story unfold as 14 men find their way through the foothills and high mountain passes on dual-sport motorcycles.

https://vimeo.com/55420992
>>
>>933513
Hipsterism is defined by its quest for "authenticity" while at the same time being nothing but artifice and superficial pose, because postmodernism can only appropriate symbols and make pastiches, it can't produce anything original or, well, authentic. What better to capture that than an overpriced, unused axe with some stripes on the handle hanging on the wall in a NYC condo (probably above a track bike that isn't velodrome legal because it has riser handlebars and BMX pedals).

I think I read somewhere that the guy who founded Best Made Co. needed to chop some mesquite blocks for his artisanal rooftop barbecue, but he couldn't find an axe authentic enough to pair with the organic food, because the Williamsburg hardware store only had Fiskars plastic hatchets, so he decided to sell his own.
>>
>>933537
>Hipsterism is defined by its quest for "authenticity" while at the same time being nothing but artifice and superficial pose, because postmodernism can only appropriate symbols and make pastiches, it can't produce anything original or, well, authentic.
That just reminded of a conversation I had with a friend where I defended basic ass bitches. Say what you will about basic bitches, they are nothing if not authentic in the real sense. They don't pretend to be anything they're not, even if what they are is boring as fuck to most people.
>>
>>930303
>>930830
I'm the guy who posted that Baker and I carry $2-300 knives every day.

However, the $200 knife in my pocket right now gives me tangible benefits, even if some of them are "fluff" like a nice flipping action. It uses excellent steel that holds an edge much longer than an SAK and has a strong and reliable locking mechanism.

That Baker SAK, on the other hand, is a $60 knife in drag. If anything I think it may actually be WORSE than a normal SAK because the scales are structural on 93mm models and they've replaced aluminum with a weaker material. I carry an SAK to beat on it and protect my "good" knives from abuse and I'd hate to crack those micarta scales while prying something with the screwdriver or whatever.
>>
>>930834
But that's fucking wrong you faggot. If you put the knife at the bottom of your pack and only take it from there when you get into the woods it's legal, even if it's a fixed blade machete. As long as you have a sensible reason to have the blade and don't have it in an easily accessible location when traveling through populated areas it's legal.
>>
File: IMG_9161.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9161.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>933624
Kek you guys are always trying to justify it. Why don't you just admit that you guys are cucked as fuck with those knife laws? They outlawed a fucking safety feature. You can't even carry many Leathermans around because the little 2" blade locks open.

>hurr but we can carry it if we have a reason
Shit, there's almost always a reason to have a little blade. Opening packages, picking crud out from under your fingernail, improvised screwdriver or pry bar... Why can't you carry a damn multitool when walking around innacity?
>>
File: 1360688703690.jpg (6KB, 215x225px) Image search: [Google]
1360688703690.jpg
6KB, 215x225px
>>932770
>tfw you own a few plaid shirts
>tfw you regularly wear them with jeans
>tfw you know you're not a hipster fag because you'd never carry an axe in a retarded holster like that and if you did you'd actually use it
>>
File: average briton.jpg (80KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
average briton.jpg
80KB, 700x466px
>>933635
Why are you always changing your name, tripfag?
>>
>>933663
I know this feel man. I've been dressing the same way, with the same kind of beard, glasses, hairstyle etc. for years, and all of a sudden I'm surrounded by hipster clones of myself and they think I'm one of them.

Fuck off and stop ruining my style, assholes.
>>
File: Confused.png (605KB, 683x497px) Image search: [Google]
Confused.png
605KB, 683x497px
>>930418
>Check out their website
>They sell a briefcase with a few writing materials in for $1850
>'American Longbow' for $798 which they claim was 'favorited by the most storied archers in recorded history'
>Say that the axe is the oldest tool
>Sell their basic felling axe for $188, a lick of paint puts it up to $350

I can't tell if they're just being too meta but the fact that they're still in business speaks volumes for how far people are willing to spend in order to look like rugged outdoorsmen instead of going outdoors for much cheaper.
>>
>>933677
They're catering to the NYC type of yuppie. The type of rich hipster who buys things just to point at it and say "yeah that's some nice shit innit".
>>
>>925412

My SAK hold an edge just fine, and it's easy to sharpen back up.

But, I only carried one as a kid for EDC.

I've never needed more than one blade, and the tools I've never actually needed. I've used them, of course.

As an adult, I've only carried single bladed folders that lock. Ones that don't lock are dangerous I've found from cutting stuff that's harder than tape and boxes.

If I got a knife for a kid, it'd be a mini-folder that locks, like one of the small Bucks or Spydercos.
>>
>>933664
How many crack fiends have tried to break into that bin over the past month? I put the over/under at a baker's dozen.
>>
File: plsnomore.jpg (576KB, 1500x1100px) Image search: [Google]
plsnomore.jpg
576KB, 1500x1100px
>>933569
Wait what? Does this definition just say being a hipster is the same as being post-modernist? So triggered. I think that they're the opposite. For example, they have very progressive values don't they? And they're into all this gender diversity and alternative lifestyles I'm pretty sure.

Sure they feign traditional roles with their styles but they have progressive values. They will say that men should fulfill the role of a manly man stereotype but they will just as readily say women should be empowered and that there are 47 genders.

[Satire trigger warning]

But wait, we can go meta on this bad boy. Their very rejection of authenticity is post-modernist. Shit son I cracked the code. I get it. Yeah that works.

But wait, there's more. Lets go 1 level deeper m8. They are modernist because they're progressing beyond the standard accepted ideas of progress, so progress is still the basis of "hipsterism".
>>
>>934014

I'm sure this sounded a lot more clever in your head.
>>
>>934017
Absolutely. My point was don't bring up post-modernism outside of an academic atmosphere because it could mean anything, therefore it means nothing. Most of what I'm talking about there is technically correct and relevant but its just shit I made up and doesn't actually contribute anything. So using it in a definition for slang is just pretentious bullshit.

Why do I care what strangers on the internet think so much?
>>
>>934033
>Why do I care what strangers on the internet think so much?

because you're an autist who thinks anons should conform to your value systems?

>My point was don't bring up post-modernism outside of an academic atmosphere

anon can do whatever he wants, he's not making up words, it has a set definition (modified by context as with any word), so I don't see why it has to be keep in hurr durr muh academic atmosphere
>>
>>925412
i use my SAK all the time and its sharp enough to shave with. My grandfather gave it to me
>>
>>934014
Being a post-modernist doesn't necessarily make you a hipster, but hipsterism is rooted in postmodernism, by virtue of its "ironic" posturing, appropriation of the symbols of other subcultures and eras, and the smug pretense of self-awareness while actually being utterly clueless. I am of course talking about the original hipster subculture from 10 years ago, not contemporary kids who are just copying the fashion.

Post-modernism itself is just a pseudo-intellectual wank and thankfully it seems to be choking to death on its own tail. It never went anywhere productive because at its core it deconstructs to solipsism, which is an utterly pointless philosophy. I think it all started when art boffins started taking Dada seriously because they didn't get the joke, with a good dose of still being mad at scientific rationalism because they failed math in high school.
>>
>>927240
>not using an increment bore to remove the cork
Pathetic.
>>
>>935127
>not decreasing the air pressure of the surrounding area in order to force the cork out through pressure differentiation
wow
>>
>>925412
Your bait is so weak, you couldn't even catch an American.
>>
File: 31-king-arthur.w529.h529.jpg (91KB, 529x529px) Image search: [Google]
31-king-arthur.w529.h529.jpg
91KB, 529x529px
>>930830
>my casemod IS cool and you're all just poor because you conserve what you have (totally not a valuable skill to have when outdoors)
>>
>>933358
>Wave
I've had my Leatherman Wave for 2-3 years, broke the saw about a year ago so got it replaced for free. I'm more afraid of losing it in the field however, the quality is as good as it gets.
>>
>>927183
> not living in a free state and CCing everywhere

Pleb. Just pleb.
>>
>>925412

The last action the Swiss army saw was in 1874, killing unarmed striking workers. They're shit and their knife is shit. Just get a fucking Leatherman.
>>
File: IMG_2115.jpg (250KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2115.jpg
250KB, 1080x720px
>>938389
Any military fags around here?

Are you guys issued knives at all? What do most people carry? Are Leathermans popular?

Saw pic related at Gander Mtn and I know the MUT is designed for those rifles too, seemed bretty kewl.
>>
File: 637593_ts.jpg (124KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
637593_ts.jpg
124KB, 1155x1155px
>>938389
If you think their knives are antiquated you should see their bikes.
>>
So... What's a good SAK if I want something practical but isn't overloaded with crap? Victorinox Camper? Or Climber?
>>
File: IMG_0005.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0005.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>938436
Leatherman Skeletool
>>
>>930418
American Psycho stuff
>>
>>938436
I'd say something from 1 to 4 layers. What will be there is up your preferences and it depends if you're going to carry it in the city or do outdoors stuff with it. Climber is a great sak for urban carry, as well as a Compact (but it's more expensive and a bit less capable than a Climber).
check out sakwiki
>>
>>932356
wow that is some funny shit lad
notevenmad/10
>>
>>927194

>I carry a SAK on a dangler when at work. I'd probably carry a SAK all the time if I could get one with the layers I want:

>knife
>multi use opener (with the flat head end)
>saw
>scissors
>philips screwdriver on the back

You want either a Victorinox Swiss Army EVOgrip 18 (it's a rebranded Wenger P18) or Victorinox Fieldmaster if you're fussy about the classic red scales look.

I've got a Patagoinan Expeditiaon race version Wenger P18- it has a different can opener, and the tweezers n toothpick aren't as nice as the Vic'nox ones but it's been a brilliant EDC option.
>>
>>925629
is than an lcp? sorry im a britbong i dont know much about handgun brands.
>>
>>925629
>>942709
just realised it says kel-tec in the corner. I'm an idiot
>>
>>925412
Old boyscout style knives have a good variety/quality of tools

Typically two decent blades, a bottle/can opener, and a flathead screwdriver
>>
>>928748
The hook is useful, you can use it to pick up bike chains without getting your hands dirty (actually the main use of my SAK), effectively distribute the weight of something you're carrying in your hand, open beer cans when you accidentally nails too short and a bunch of other shit. Honestly it's the best part of the knife aside from the knife itself and the can opener, I wish they'd stick it on the bigger Rangergrip knives instead of those useless fucking philipshead things.
>>
File: images-1.jpg (5KB, 286x176px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
5KB, 286x176px
>>942722
I still can't remember the name of this style but 'scout knife' pulls good results

Comfy little knife: the one I had had a nice blade on it.
>>
File: cadet.jpg (221KB, 1627x1379px) Image search: [Google]
cadet.jpg
221KB, 1627x1379px
>>943798
I think "scout knife" is the closest thing to a general term for it

Maybe others would also know it as
"Camp King", "Camillus Knife", "Demo Knife",
or "Soldiers Pocket Knife"

and it is probably the most comfy and useful of all pocket knife / multitool patterns yeah. I have a victorinox cadet which I've sharpened the nail file on into a chisel edged awl to make a mini version of it (stock photo though)
>>
>>938433
What bike is that?
>>
File: IMG_2017_01_30_09_07_08.jpg (726KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2017_01_30_09_07_08.jpg
726KB, 720x1280px
I use my schrade uncle Henry just about every day. And on the inside pouch I have a little Leatherman with a mini knife, scissors and a file
>>
>>926413
Monopul cork puller. They're pretty cool, and I keep the corks of the wines I really like, so it's nice to have them undamaged.
>>
>>925452
>calls others weak
>uses the corkscrew designed specifically for women
>>
>>925879
I have this multitool. It was a very good investment, but not really specifically for /outdoor/.

It's quite heavy, and while the blade is good, the ergonomics are such that it's worse than the SAK at prolonged cutting tasks (like whittling or woodcarving).

I've used mine a lot, but mostly for repairing stuff. (I also have the extended bit kit with almost every conceivable type of bit in it). Honestly, the multitool is more like an impromptu toolbox.

What I like about a SAK is that the punch doubles as a drill and that is really useful for carving.
>>
File: 1325642908563.jpg (80KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1325642908563.jpg
80KB, 413x395px
>>925424

me too, mate. but try not to sadfrog over it.
>>
>>944297

It's a Swiss Army Bicycle,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_army_bicycle
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1207821

Not to be confused with the Swedish Military Bicycle,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_military_bicycle

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/used-swiss-military-army-surplus-bicycle?a=1781366
>MO-05
>$1,099.99

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swiss-army-mo-93-military-bicycle-7-speed?a=1847491
>MO-93
>$1,299.99

Both models available to civilians are overpriced.
>>
Now you've done it. Now I want to buy another SAK.

I'm looking at the SAK climber right now and I can get the limited edition one with the transparant gold scales (2016). But... are gold scales for faggots? Anyone know how they look IRL? Are they classy? I'm going to be carrying it in the office mostly, so I want it to be a bit classy looking.
>>
>>944007
that's a cadet. i've been carrying one of these as my daily user for about 3 years now and in all honest it's been able to handle 90% of domestic stuff i've had to face
>>
>>944524
I know thats why i said as much lol

>>944492
the gold looks dumb in person. even if you like that sort of thing its totally opposite to what something like the imitation gold plating on an iphone looks like (tasteful and attractive)

The silvertech looks good, you might like it there are many pictures of it since its been production for many models.

The red is the basic bitch scales. You might liek the black cellidor best, it gets marred up and scratched same as the red scales but it looks more "old world" and "gentlemanly" and wears better in my mind if that makes sense.
>>
>>944486
HOLY SHIT I'd rather make one myself modeled after it.
>>
>>944564
Thanks!
>>
>>935129
>not incinerating the cork with a flamethrower and drinking straight from the bottle's searing-hot mouth
You fukkin pansies.
>>
>>938429
My father was Air Force and a few of my coworkers were Army at an old job. They were issued Ka Bars from what they told me.
>>
Anyone here has any experience with swisstech microtools? I'm looking for a small multitool without blades or scissors. Their 19in1 tool looks way too flimsy (especially the pliers), so I was thinking about this one:
http://swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=32
>>
>>930830
>items of character and quality

You fedora wearing faggot
>>
>>927395
You know, I came here to troll SAK users because half the tools on the damn things are useless for /out/ purposes, but I'd totally buy one if they did this.
>>
>>925568
You don't lose a finger with the SAKs. You just follow your instinct to get your finger out of there as quickly as possible, which pretty much means that you're going to cut the top of your finger to the bone, bleed all over the place and use a lot of New Skin.

Don't ask how I know.
>>
>>933726
>The type of rich hipster who buys things just to point at it and say "yeah that's some nice shit innit".
Then I take a closer look and say "That's a factory edge, faggot. Do you even go outside?
>>
>>948986
The axe is a signifier of lost authenticity by drawing upon the pre-post-colonial frontier narrative. It's also a talisman against the banality and mass market commodification of postmodern post-industrial post-society. The factory edge is a testament to the craftsmanship of the artisan who forged and sharpened the axe head. If anything were to mar it they would have to replace the axe. I wish I was joking but I'm not.
>>
>>949021
I wish you were joking, too. I hate hipsters so much.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.