[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What meals can be based around rice when /inawoods/ for long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: rice.jpg (107KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
107KB, 640x479px
What meals can be based around rice when /inawoods/ for long periods of time. Not wanting to haul in a heap of heavy canned food or fresh vege/fruit because no storage.

What meals does /out/ make out of rice when you're out for extended periods of time
>>
>>924914
you ever actually cook rice /out/?

on a isonutane burner it cooks way too fast, add water. on the fire.it cooks slow as fug. propane cooks it about right.

most.of the time I make rice is over a fire. it takes forever but you can get it perfect. then I dump a can of chili on it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>924914
Well there's...
rice and meat
rice and fish
rice and vegetables
rice and cheese
rice and <insert any style> sauce
>>
File: fire.jpg (158KB, 1200x783px) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
158KB, 1200x783px
>>924923
It's the middle of summer here in New Zealand, and being out there for a week at a time meat would spoil, I'm curious as to what vegetables would keep though. Cheese, is a no go as well.

This is obviously my first attempt at going out for an extended period of time (while trying to make an income /out/ there) and I'm willing to carry that much canned food out there along with working equipment.
>>924918
Will be cooking on something like this, pic related.
>>
>>924923
Also trying to keep cost overhead really low as to try turn a profit quicker while /out/ there, so no tuna, ect as shit would cost a fortune for a week.
>>
File: macNcheese.jpg (40KB, 450x339px) Image search: [Google]
macNcheese.jpg
40KB, 450x339px
>>924928
>Cheese, is a no go
if you buy (pic related) the cheese comes
in a foil pouch that keeps indefinitely
sauces can also be canned or dehydrated
>>924929
naturally i don't know anything about your
price point or turning a profit. is there a
cool story to share?
>>
20 dollar dehydrator, take whatever you want.
>>
>>924938
I don't think artificial cheese would provide enough energy/nutrients of being /out/ in New Zealand. I will look into a dehydrator though, slipped my mind.

>Live in New Zealand, Possum are classed as a pest, millions of them innawoods.
>Possum fur is currently sitting stable at $120NZD/KG of fur.
>Start off with 50 leghold traps
>????
>Profit.

I'm only just starting out so this is why I want to keep overheads low while income is low while I learn the ropes.
>>
File: possum.jpg (18KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
possum.jpg
18KB, 300x225px
>>924938
Pic related
>>
File: pc_opossum.jpg (215KB, 580x400px) Image search: [Google]
pc_opossum.jpg
215KB, 580x400px
>>924972
that thing is huge
>>
File: 29186_basic_brown_rice.jpg (324KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
29186_basic_brown_rice.jpg
324KB, 3000x2000px
I just looked it up and apparently native possum meat is edible and is being pushed in Tasmania (seems we have a bit of an overpopulation issue). If you're going to be culling for a while it might be worth a try sometime.

In regards to rice meals, try adding dehydrated ingredients right near the end. I like adding strips of jerky and dehydrated vegetables. Jerky isn't cheap, but perhaps you can find something in bulk. Apart from that beans are a very good option. You can carry them dry and soak them overnight, boil them alongside or in with your rice and have them with a bit of sauce. I'd also seriously recommend eating more brown rice than white, or making a mix for more nutrition. Soaking rice for a few hours activates certain enzymes too which makes it even more nutritious. Makes it faster to cook and easier to digest as well.

Good luck with your work, man. Hope it goes well.
>>
>>924918
if you have a wide-mouth thermos, you could use it as a pseudo pressure cooker by putting hot water in. oats, butter butter, cinnamon, sugar, hot water. ramen. etc
>>
>>925043
You can make lentils this way also. Boiling water takes a few minutes but once you throw it in the thermos, it'll cook for however long you need it to
>>
>>924928
I will note that cheese when dipped in food grade wax is shelf stable for months even in moderate heat. Adding damp cloth over it would help keep it cool.

That being said rice+beans=complete protein. Add a few spices and you have a meal that has feed many a person for many years.
>>
>>925080
Look up gamma seal lids buy 4 of them and 4 five gallon food grade buckets that is enough for 50lbs of beans and 50 lbs of rice.

Add another couple of lids and buckets and you can bring 50 lbs of flour to make flat bread. A couple more and you can bring coffee.
>>
>>925088
Forgot pic
>>
>>925088
Love me some bannock
>>
>>925011
How does jerky turn out after attempting to rehydrate? And I'm sure some bin inn type place would stock bulk. Thanks for the other advice.

Also possum meat taste like ass, but yes if required it could turn up on the menu.
>>925080
Any particular spices that you would use to create a feed that is more than just "edible"?
Also forgot to note that the bait used to attract possum is made of flour, icing sugar, cinnamon. So those ingredients would already be out there.

>>925043
Will keep that in mind.
>>
Anything with rice is cool.

Onions, potatoes, carrots etc etc.

Also any kind of tuna or meat.

Try different spices to have different rices.
>>
>>925080
have you ever acrmtually cooked rice or beans? rice is my limit when /out/ it takes 15 minutes. I have never even attempted cookingkm beans while /out/ they take an hour on the stove or all fucking day in the crock pot
>>
>>925301
From the context clues OP isn't back packing he is trap lining.

>>925212
Not sure about Aussie taste but in Texas it's mostly just salt and pepper then you use your hot sauce of choice when you fill your bowl. Also we use pinto beans.
>>
>>924914
I'd say fish is the way to go.
>>
>>924914
I've never tried doing this while out but you could probably make some pretty cheap and easy chazuke, you'd just need to take some sencha, kombu, katsuobushi, and maybe dried scallions (all dry products that would work great for an outing).
>>
>>924918
>not taking minute rice with you /out/

All my wuts? Let me guess you soak your own kidney beans too instead of just bringing a can?

>inb4 can weighs too much.
Actually the water content inside the can weighs too much.
>>
>>924969
You answered your own question man. A wild possum is just as good as a wild raccoon if you are out.
>>
>>925212

now I'm curious about possum.
I have really never tasted a meat that wasn't atleast allright
>>
>>925346
Exactly when you're already carrying 20kg of trapping equipment inn woods up steep unmaintained tracks the last thing you wanna carry in is extra weight. Same with minute rice, much weight savings/price savings when you're out inn woods for extended periods of time.

>>925349
>>925450
I think I will reserve actual possum meat for the dire straights.

>inb4 muh dedication.
>>
I've always thought about just getting some minute rice and some capellini or angel hair pasta and smashing it up with chicken soup stock and having riceroni in the woods
>>
>>924918
i always bring pre-steam-cooked dehydrated rice, that way the results are smoother.
>>
>>924929
If you think a week of tuna is a fortune you are even poorer than me and far more stupid.
>>
>>925301
>I've never cooked beans properly.

The post.
>>
>>924914
Forgive me if this has already been said but I havent read the other posts yet.

I often take dehydrated rice with me hiking. To make it interesting I mix in a couple of stock cubes to add flavour. 1st night Ill use beef, 2nd night chicken, 3rd night vege - you get the picture, mixing it up for variety. Best thing about it is that its super compact.

Protip: I add some of my jerky into it which goes very well.
>>
>>924914
pro-tip in case anyone does know

only cook rice that you intend to eat right then and there while /out/

rice can contain bacteria that is activated by cooking and isn't killed during the cooking process. It only goes dormant at cooking temperature, and in your fridge at home.

if you cook rice and leave it hanging out to be eaten later on, you can end up feeling pretty shitty from the toxins the bacteria produces in regular temperatures.
>>
>>924914
Is that Basmati rice? Basmati rice a shit. Too fluffy.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.