[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best flashlight /out/ there? Either budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 20

What's the best flashlight /out/ there? Either budget or operator-worthy.
>>
File: third_eye.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
third_eye.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
Also interested in opinions.

Not a flashlight but planning to get Petzl light. Pic related
>>
>>924551
if I jad to buy just one light for all my adventures right now I would buy a tikka.

3 tripple a batteries. 200k lumen max. 3 brihhtness lebels plus red for nightvision. 30 dollars.
>>
File: rhino_equipment_2011_final-95.jpg (100KB, 921x1410px) Image search: [Google]
rhino_equipment_2011_final-95.jpg
100KB, 921x1410px
my current flashlight
used for 10+ years, hasnt broken and under 3K so algood
>>
File: DSC_2862.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2862.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
I bought a Manker Quinlan U11 from BangGood (was a little worried about the hit and miss reviews of BangGood) but it arrived pretty fast and everything was okay. It's a bright 1050 lm, uses an 18650 battery but there's a USB charge port on the torch itself so that's cool.
I've used it as an EDC now for about a year and it's never let me down, pretty small and lightweight.
>>
I had many flashlight and sold them all when i got a Zebralight H600w
>>
Zebralight, AA or 18650 depending on your preference.
>>
File: fenix-hl60r-1.jpg (107KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
fenix-hl60r-1.jpg
107KB, 600x338px
I had a Petzl that I lost, it was great.

Had a few issues. The intensity tailed off significantly only after 2 nights of use
The headband lost its stretch, and became warped only after 3 years.

I've been thinking about replacing it with a Fenix HL60R
It uses a single 18650 battery, 1000k lumens output. Can be recharged via USB, or with a battery charger.
Only downside is that it doesnt have a red LED which I find very useful. Claims to have a neutral white light, but doesnt list the temp other than Cree LED.
dirt, water proof, etc.

Opinions? I really need a red LED tho. what do?
>>
>>924676
Get a Fenix HL30
>>
Black diamond spot or storm are best depending on what your use is

I have a spot and ita more than enough for what i do, camping, night fishing, around the house odd jobs ect

I might invest in a decent actual flashlight eventually but for now headlamps will always be better
>>
I've got a nitecore mh20gt that's fantastic
>>
>>924678
How does it compare vs Black Diamond, or Petzl?

Reasoning for the HL60R is that it uses 18650 batteries. I already have 6 of them. I can easily use the charger off solar panels. Otherwise I need to bring a dozen or so AAAs on trips, keep track of used ones, and recycle them.
>>
File: TH10.jpg (132KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
TH10.jpg
132KB, 640x480px
I've owned about 30 dif head lamps (I love flash lights, have a legit fetish over them) so far my favorite has been the thrunite th10. It's a full Metal build, so nothing to break like the shit plastic ones.

Has multiple settings, with the highest output being like 850 lumen, lowest being 20. Also has a SoS mode.

Battery life is good, even on that max output, battery life is almost 2 hours. Mid setting (like 250 lumens) for like 10 hours.

The light itself is strong. You can take one and slam it as hard as you can against the cement, it will still work. Same with all their flashlights. Their products are so strong, that they got a 2 yr warranty. If you manage to break it in that time period, they replace the entire thing with a new one for free.

Only negative thing about this light is the battery. It's a 18650, though I love those ones, only use those, it is an expensive battery. It beats the shit out of double and Triple A batteries. Well worth buying rechargeable set of them.

Pair this flashlight with like the Tn12 from Thrunite, or a Fenix pd35 (very similar flashlight)

Another thing, proce. Only 40 dollars for the thing. Fuck all other suggestions in this thread.

Pic related. The head lamp.
>>
File: 1483654174516.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1483654174516.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
What are these flashlights called?
>>
>>925132
Autism
>>
>>924676
> I really need a red LED tho
Personaly gave up trying to find anything on 18650 and with front facing red led.
Ordered Skilhunt H03 for about $35 that has a lot of intensity settings including a very low one and memory for last modes etc. Looks sturdy and compact, still waiting for it to arrive.
Decent review in russian on differences between various variations of the headlamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPurhnBS5c8
Also just to trigger you more, the power switch BLINKS RED when its in locked mode.
>>
File: Fenix-MC11-LED-Flashlight.jpg (156KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Fenix-MC11-LED-Flashlight.jpg
156KB, 800x1200px
I have this one and I really like it, for both /out/ and /in/ usage.
>small, can easily fit on your pocket, also really light and you don't notice it clipped onto a backpack strap or your belt
>only takes 1 AA
>60 hours of light on the lowest setting which is plenty to see where you're walking, the higher settings are really bright but drain the battery pretty damn fast
>burst setting lights up trees at least 300ft away but drains the battery after an hour
>no annoying SOS/strobe functions, i don't like those on a flashlight
>remembers the last brightness setting you last used so you dont have to cycle through every time
>supposedly impact resistant, i haven't dropped it yet but it seems pretty well-made and has a nice aluminum case
>waterproof down to 2 meters
>head you can swivel up and down is really useful to look under or below stuff, indoors or out
>only costs around 40 bucks
i don't think i'll ever buy another flashlight again after getting this desu, unless they make a bigger version with more battery life
>>
>>925190
>red LED

that always triggers me. Tell me guys, what do you get from a red light that you can't from a low lumen output white light.

and don't say

>muh night vision

because a <1 lumen white light will preserve your night vision just as well and yet let you discern colours...
>>
>>925243
But you cant get a 200 lumen lamp to dim that low.

So unless your suggesting we take a shitty light for the purposes of night vision on top of a good one, ill stick with having a lamp that does both.
>>
>>925243
you literally have no idea what you are talking about. I am using a blue light right now to trace the blood from your ears.

you wanna see my duck?
>>
File: 2017-01-06 10.41.36.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-06 10.41.36.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>925283
actually the new petzl has a 200w setting and a 5w setting, althou it uses different leds for both it aslo has a 100w setting anda red light. oh and the headband clasp is also a rape whistle.

it costs 30 dollars and doesn't even use meme batteries.

butthese morons circlejerk over tactical flashlights thatthey coduldnt use to wipe their own ass

also, if you faggots want tactical, nothing beats pic related for size and versatility
>>
>>925291
I dont buy tacticool shit. i bought a bd spot for 40 bucks and it has all of the above except a rape whistle ( why the shit is that on a lamp??)

Just dont say a red light is useless just because you dont like it. There is no arguing it, you can get a higher lumen output without effecting nighttime vision with red vs white light.
>>
I use a Fenix UC35, clips right through a loop on my pack strap. Works pretty well, only thing I don't like about it is the rounded button on the base prevents it from balancing on end on a flat surface.
>>
>>924905
Get yourself the HL60 and be done with it. I have a modded HL55 and that shit lasts for days if you don't have it on full blast the whole time. The construction is on point, the beam and the tint is right for flooding. I compared my light to my co-worker's black diamond and his looked dim as crap with both on their highest settings. Can't imagine the HL60 performing that much different.

If you really need your tacticool colored led's, get an HC90.
>>
>>925243
do red lights attract bugs? it would be nice to walk the dog at night and not have insects swarming around my light
>>
File: 1467428853033.jpg (53KB, 638x475px) Image search: [Google]
1467428853033.jpg
53KB, 638x475px
>>925334
<he doesn't need the rape whistle
>>
>>925334
ine rine, on the outskirts of khandahar, one of my buddies shot an innocent man. we all took part in covering it up. but ehwt is the punishment for an unreported xrime? can you repent from a sin unspoken?
>>
>>925369
><
>>
>>925360
>HC90
Thanks mate. Might just get that one
>>
>>925243
> because a <1 lumen white light will preserve your night vision just as well and yet let you discern colours...

That's what i am hoping for, however there's something extra comfy about the red when you sit around the campfire and suddenly realize you haven't turned it off because it blends perfectly with the ambient fire light. Its kinda an amazing feel how something so simple and mundane as cheap red led can improve the experience much more then thousands of lumens most manufacturers are aiming to put within their products.
>>
Fenix PD35
>>
>>925379
>but ehwt is the punishment for an unreported xrime?
All of you getting charged with murder.

>can you repent from a sin unspoken?
To repent is to turn away.
>>
>>924551
The mini maglites look good to go for /out/ purposes.
>>
>>925283
You're ignorant.. A lot of lights offer low or sublumen (<1) lumen settings.

>>925287
Because that's a common occurrence when inna... Kek
>>
>>925687
thanks
>>
>>925741
But they are all either an unreasonable price or have other adequate modes (like a high output)

But like i said, regardless of if a sub 1 lumen white light is available youre going to get a hugher output without effecting your vision with red light
>>
>>925741
Name one that also has an output over 100 lumens and is under 50 bucks.

Bet one with a red light is cheaper.
>>
>>924608
>$30 shit light
>concerned about night vision

When you can afford AN/PVS 14 talk to me.

>>924551
Op I do not buy if not USB rechargeable. Think about it.
>>
>>925820
not my fault your a poorfag.

and heres one, in fact it's one I own. Now it's not a head torch but you could run it as one with a strap:

http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination/L3-Illumination-L11C-Nichia-219B-p373.html

>0.03 lumen
>3
>30
>120
>all in glorious nichia219b
>>
File: Latarka_Olight_S30R.jpg (98KB, 700x547px) Image search: [Google]
Latarka_Olight_S30R.jpg
98KB, 700x547px
I carry an Olight S30R

5 power settings between 1 and 1000 lumens, plus strobe, waterproof up to 2m, shock proof, magnetic tailcap for attaching to things and for charging without having to take out the battery. Pretty neat.
>>
>>925857
Thers a vast difference between poorfaggotry and sensible spending. But you go ahead and enjoy your consumerism
>>
Here are my picks:

>Pocket light
Thrunite Ti3 (available in neutral white) 100 lumens $15 to $17
Olight S1 Baton $35 pocket powerhouse (500 lumen)

>Headlamp
Skilhunt H03 neutral white $33 angle head 18650 powered light with 1000 lumens. Slight green tint on low mode.

>Heavy duty/backpack light
Thrunite TN12 in NW has everything I want in a light for $50. I managed to get one on sale for $35, so it pays to keep an eye out.

>Budget 1000lumen
Convoy S2+ for $12 to $15 depending on tint.

I like neutral white lights a lot more than the standard cool white. I recommend going the NW route.
>>
>>925963
what consumerism are you spilling your spaghetti over?

The fact that you challenged me to,

>Name one that also has an output over 100 lumens and is under 50 bucks.

and I did.

get a grip, son, and accept I bested you.
>>
>>925219
How is the 90 degree angle on it? Seems like it could be more impractical than practical sometimes.
>>
>>925996
not at all, if anything more practical.
>>
Best best: surefire, my usual carry is the maximus headlamp, a p3x and a titan. Wife carries the same setup when we're out. I do with the p3x had a setting for like 150 lumens though, often 1000 is too much and 15 is too little. We both also have X400s on our firearms, with the green laser (easier to see in bright light).

Best value: probably fenix, there are a lot of good options in the 50 dollar range

Best for one single thing: depends what that thing is, brightest is different than longest running, etc.
>>
>>924551
What do you mean by best flashlight? more light? smaller? more comfortable to use? more lumens/$ ?

If you want the quick rundown:
- anything that uses 18650s as batteries is going to have a lot more output/last longer than aa based lights
- how far the light will reach has more to do with the beam profile than the total output, a 500 lumen torch might reach farther than a 1500 one, but of course it will need a narrower, more focused beam
- the right tint and high cri of a light can make it easier to see stuff even with a less powerful light
- more power usually requires a bigger light and if you want a lot of power in a small form factor you'll have to pay more

So as you see there can be no best, only different compromises depemding on your needs.

>>925283
That's funny, my zebralight goes all the way from 1500 lumens to 0.18
>>
>>924685
Agreed, although I have a soft spot for the BD Revolt, looks like its been phased out though.
>>
File: IMG_1583.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1583.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>925291
Kek. Probably the best thing in this thread. Too many neckbeards tryin to out-tacticool eachother with their $100 tubes of aluminum. Most of them use the same exact bulbs. It all comes down to how much these small companies have to pay for their overpriced mill work.

I have a $35 Princeton Tec headlamp with white and red lights and an LED Maglite and they work fine. The regular Duracells last days when I'm using them a lot and I don't have to order overpriced meme batteries from Asia. I guess the USB rechargeable light could be good if you are innawoods for months and have to charge it with the solar panel thing, but LEDs consume so little power that you could just bring a couple spare AAAs for the headlamp and be straight for days. You don't need that 10,000 lumen setting for walking down the path at night.

Only problem is I don't own a sweet tacticool flashlight to take pics of when I post my EDC.
>>
>>924551
usually a small headlamp is more than enough.

mine takes 2 AAAs and can do red or white. The goal is to have light when you need it and for it not to take up much weight or space when you don't.

>being afraid of the dark
>not maximizing night vision
>>
>>925975
You called me a poorfag for buying something at a reasonable price instead of just buying what is the best for no reason i.e. consumerism

Also i cant find anything on that light that says it has a sub 1 lumen mode.

Face it. High red output > low white. Its okay that you cant grasp such a simple concept, this is 4chan after all. Plenty of others just like you here. Now go ahead and turn all the lights off in mothers basement so you can get some use out of that pretty light of yours
>>
>>926258

> i am mr toughguy i talk tough on dah internets

Oh you!
>>
>>926260
Lol nice response hombre

I said nothing tough. But go on
>>
I bought a Fenix LD12 for myself for Christmas. Takes 18500s and AAs, good luminosity, good number of settings, solid build quality, and I got it for $60. I don't really notice it in my pocket and I use it when my phone light won't cut it. Definitely would recommend.
>>
>>924905
I don't own a Petzl yet but Black Diamond don't impress me all all. I gave mine away.
>>
>>925379
>can you repent from a sin unspoken?

There is no sky fairie to punish you, so you have no obligation to repent. Shit happens. Sin is a made up word and HIGHLY variable by location and superstition, sandniggery having many amusing examples.

I'd cover my bro over some sandnig. They are cultural enemies of modern civilization so one less is no loss. The Nam vets I grew up with didn't care about one gook more or less and most of them are well-adjusted today. We are taught certain behaviors to make us behave in peacetime. Like any other training, it has situational exceptions IRL.

I don't emotionally invest in social conditioning. It's a tool. Forgive yourself and pull yer head out of the bottle. Booze is world's worst drug and the military booze culture kills more vets than combat does G.I.s. Grab both ears, pull until you see daylight then go live life.

The past is a story. It no longer exists. The future isn't here yet. You are in the now. Make wise choices.
>>
>>925243
Red lights dont attract bugs.
>>
>>925996
imo, angle head lights are pretty much objectively better than standard flashlights
>don't have to hyper extend wrist to use it normally
>being able to stand it on the ground and point it forward without it rolling around or being too low to light up things properly
>+ all of the advantages in my post, can clip it onto your pocket or backpack strap and it acts as a mini headlamp or you can hang it from stuff
>>
>>924954
t. Thrunite youtube paid shill
>>
File: Titanium-Flashlight.jpg (46KB, 583x574px) Image search: [Google]
Titanium-Flashlight.jpg
46KB, 583x574px
Git good, poorfags
>>
File: IMG_0385.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0385.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>926899
I'll fuggin shill it for free shit, they don't even have to pay me
>Lookin at you, Mepps™

>>926902
Except that. That thing is retarded. I'll take one for free but I aint tellin nobody shit about it.
>>
ive got a 800 lumen dive light i use for scuba, but works fine as a tactical light. its a blow torch. plus the case is super beefy so it would make a nice bludgeon too. http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-56/126400/Ocean-Quest-800-L.E.D.-Rechargeable-Dive-Light.html
>>
>>926906
Shill this one instead
>>
File: 003-62.jpg (44KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
003-62.jpg
44KB, 800x600px
>>926906
>I'll take one for free
Just buy one, it only costs 3300 overweight dollaridoos
>>
File: IMG_9474.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9474.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>926936
I'm gonna need a few free test models first
>>
I have the Olight S30R II, ranges from 1 to 1000 lumens, has a strobe light mode and comes with a handy charging dock.
>>
>>926258
You're a faggot.

1) that torch is like 35 bucks - that is NOT expensive

2) it comes in 3 or 4 mode version, the 4 mode version has the sub-lumen mode - try looking harder

3) I called you out on your claim that I couldn't find a sublumen torch for under 50 bucks

4) I called you a poorfag because you put a 50 buck limit on it. A torch is SUPER useful, in fact I'd say it's more important to me than my knife. I don't put needless cost criteria on essential equipment, hence, you are a poorfag.

5) Still waiting on your proof that a comparatively higher output red light effects your nightvision less than a lower output white light.

6) 0/10 for using basement dweller cliche.

Red lights were needed BACK IN THE DAY with incandescent bulb torches. It was not technologically possible to have super low outputs on them. Hence, a secondary red light was introduced. It's old tech. There's absolutely no reason to use a red light other than personal preference.

If that's your preference, that's fine. Go ahead. But don't claim that it's better than a white light without proof - all you're gonna do is spread misinformation amongst newbie sc/out/s who can't discern your bullshit from truth
>>
>>927197
Good flashlights cost like $20 mang. You are just a wannabe operator gearfag.
>>
File: torches.jpg (1MB, 2394x3024px) Image search: [Google]
torches.jpg
1MB, 2394x3024px
>>927197
my torches:

Zebralight H600w mkII
Eagletac D25A Ti
L3 Illumination L10 nichia219b

All 3 have sub 1 lumen output modes. ZL is my camping torch, eagletac my work torch and L3 my edc torch.
>>
>>927198
We're arguing about torches - pretty sure we're both gearfags, bro. My torches are NOT high end, they're mid tier.

Are you also the kind of anon who goes hurr durr mora is all the knife you need when people talk about 100 buck knives?
>>
>>927200
Mora is pretty good, but once you get above $60-$70 it is just more tryhard shit.

They seriously all use the same LED bulbs and a machined aluminum tube. Spending $100+ on a flashlight is stupid because all you are paying for is ineffecient manufacturing. For a big LED light that will take some abuse, $40-$50 is all you should ever need to spend.
>>
>>927204
kek,

>Zebralight H600W
>Cree XM-L2 Neutral White

>Eagletac D25A
>Cree XP-G2 Cool white

>L3 Illumination L10
>Nichia 219b high CRI

yep all the same..
>>
>>927204
also,

>led bulb
it's called an emitter

>100 bucks plus
none of my torches are that expensive, the ZL is the most expensive at 80

>machined aluminium tube
yeah apart from the titanium one

>all you are paying for is ineffecient manufacturing
1 - it's 'inefficient'
2 - no you're paying for QC and R&D. Runtimes and circuit efficiency is very good with ZL in particular (compare their mk3 against their mk1)

conclusion: you're talking out your ass.
>>
Defiant 850 lumen light. It was only 12$, durable as fuck, and it's like holding a sun beam in your hand.
A bit bulky though
>>
>>927324
> bit bulky though
> using a 3x C cell light

You don't say
>>
File: IMGP0757.jpg (711KB, 2464x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0757.jpg
711KB, 2464x1632px
just got my ratnik FSS014 in the mail
its good.
bright enough and seems really well built
battery life is pretty good considering it runs on AA batteries
pretty cheap compared to other similar lights
>>
>>926105
>MagLite pro
Same here. Maglite pro led. Reliable, runs on AAAs and bright.
>>
>>927971
>AAAs
Hiw small is that one? You sure it isn't AA? Mine is the Pro LED that takes 2x AA. Sometimes I wish it were AAA tho so it would be the same as my headlamp.
>>
>>925243
I like red for camp tasks and reading. Also good when other people are sleeping around you. And if you plan on stargazing using red insteead of low intensity white light makes a big difference.

The only problem I have with it is green foliage and grasses basically look black in red light.
But hey, you can use what you want. Whatever works for you.
>>
File: IMG_0558.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0558.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>927979
I have red braid on a couple of my fishing rods and if I'm casting around at night the red LED of the headlamp almost makes the line more visible than the bright white light. Makes it look like white line against a black background.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.