[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do roads impact on ecosystems? Do they give a hard time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: roadkill.jpg (2MB, 3384x2220px) Image search: [Google]
roadkill.jpg
2MB, 3384x2220px
How much do roads impact on ecosystems? Do they give a hard time to animals even if we are talking about local roads with little traffic?
>>
>>924230
Animal's use roads because they can see down/up/across them for travel. Also serves as good landmarks.
>>
I was wondering last night how big an impact the Great Wall of China must have had on the ecosystem. Migration routes, transhumance, even the spreading of plant seeds via wind and scat. I wonder if there are any ecological studies.
>>
File: IMG_1555.jpg (236KB, 426x282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1555.jpg
236KB, 426x282px
>>924230
Deer seem to love roads.
>>
File: 20160707_192117.jpg (2MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160707_192117.jpg
2MB, 4608x2592px
>>924246
Used to be that roads were kept clear of ice with salt and during the winter the reindeer came to lick it from the roads.
During the summer the reindeer escape mosquitoes and such and like hanging around on roads and sides since there are less bitey bugs there.

Since they are half-domesticated they don't mind cars and this causes crashes thanks to people not paying enough attention(it's not like roads in Lapland have traffic jams).
>>
>>924230
what about fences?
>>
In addition to causing direct mortality, roads can have a number of indirect impacts such as habitat fragmentation. This can result from either animals not being able to cross the road without being killed or through avoidance of the road. For example, some snakes have been shown to turn around and not cross the road when they encounter it.6 Some animals avoid the surface of the road even when there are no cars driving on it. Birds that typically fly short distances from one tree to the next may also be hesitant to fly across a large open space, which restricts their movements across roads.13
>>
>>924230
>>924246
horrible, it's 2015+1 after all
>>
>>924301
There is some namefag who posts here sometimes about seeing squatches and skinwalkers and makes Youtube vids and I believe wherever he lives there is some sort of wildlife bridge or tunnel like that over the major highway.
>>
>>924305
I wouldn't worry about it though.
>>
>>924334
I'm not worried. I was just tryin to remember where he lived.

Skinwalkers hate salty air and humidity so I don't have to deal with em around here. The shit lurking in the Bermuda Triangle, that is a different story.
>>
>>924338
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_crossing
>>
>>924230
Depends on the ecosystem and the road.
It will have some impacts drainage and runoff, which may or may not be a problem.

Roads in the north that are treated with salt which is eventually finds it's way into surface water or ground aquifers which can impact local flora and fauna.

>>924281
Also this
>>
>>924301
Too bad those bridges cost millions.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.