[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/. Was planning on doing my first ever trip to the outback.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.adapt.1663.medium.jpg (228KB, 1663x936px) Image search: [Google]
image.adapt.1663.medium.jpg
228KB, 1663x936px
Sup /out/. Was planning on doing my first ever trip to the outback. Ive read plenty of articles and learned a bunch of shit but I wanted to know if there was anything I should know particularly.
>>
>Take enough food
>Take enough water
>Take enough fuel

Otherwise travel as light as you possibly can.
>>
>>923588
Well first let me as you these questions:
>Where are you planning to go
>Are you sticking to the main roads/highways
>What time of the year
>Are you driving (rhetorical)
>What are you driving
>Whats your camping set up

Of course this >>923593 is relevant as well but its a bit more than that. Overall you just need to NOT be retarded. Like I said though, Id be able to give you better advice if you can answer these questions.
>>
>>923644
>Where are you planning to go
I thought Id play it safe for my first time and just drive from Port Augusta to Alice Springs. I was initially planning to drive from Vic to the outback (live in Horsham) but that idea now seems pretty retarded (or not viable at the moment).

>Are you sticking to the main roads/highways
Yeah Im limiting myself to the Stuart Highway (though I'll obviously do a bit of exploring but no serious offroading).

>What time of the year
Probably winter. I dont want to be there on peak season with fucking gooks everywhere and all the rest/camp spots taken over by hordes.

>Are you driving (rhetorical)
>What are you driving
>Whats your camping set up
Borrowing out a 4WD camper from a mate. Manual of course. Its not a very flashy one though but it'll do the job. its similar to pic related just without all the luxuries (fridge etc). It does have a UHF radio and storage so thats good.
>>
>>923651
>I thought Id play it safe for my first time and just drive from Port Augusta to Alice Springs.
>Yeah Im limiting myself to the Stuart Highway
A good idea for first timers. Though Id encourage you to checkout some of the side roads to test yourself out. Also have you ever driven an excess of 500kms or more? This is pretty important because its not as easy as it sounds at all.

>Probably winter.
Once again good idea but dont underestimate the outback in winter. It can and will get fucking cold even during the day time (temp rarely goes above 20).

>Borrowing out a 4WD camper from a mate. Manual of course.
Couple this with the fact that your sticking to the highway means your pretty much good. Id say (provided you have good camping/4wd knowledge) your pretty set.
>>
Ok OP based on what Ive read here your pretty much ready but here is some shit you NEED to keep in mind.

DO NOT drive at night or dawn. You may think your hot shit when it comes to driving but hitting an animal at 130km will fuck your shit up and your trip. And seeing as you have a 4WD camper you have no excuse to keep driving. Also FUCKING NAP if you have. 15 mins makes all the difference in the world.

If your car breaks down for some reason and your away from everything DO NOT leave or walk away from your car. Plenty of people drive by and they'll help but dont be a dickhead and leave thinking you'll find someone down the road. Especially if the next town/city/station is 200-300kms away. Best thing to do is to become a motoring club member since they'll help you out almost everywhere. Im a member of the NRMA myself. Also hire a sat phone if you can since UHF can be pretty useless in most places (though not if your on the stuart highway) and get a Telstra sim. They're jews but they have the coverage in these areas.

Shit is incredibly expensive in remote areas so stock up on everything properly before you leave Port Augusta. The distance between towns is also ineradicable and deceptive. Also CARRY EXTRA FUEL ALWAYS. Id say 2 jerrycans at the least.

Also this particular point goes over everyone's heads but check if you need permits for wherever your gonna camp. While there almost fuck all police/rangers, you never know when they can show up.

Id give you more advice but your not doing anything advanced at this stage. Good luck OP an remember, take you fucking time. No need to rush anything.
>>
Well looks like Im all set then. Thanks alot bros. I'll be back for advice when I'll do an advanced outback tour.
>>
File: en_caravan_stars_0.jpg (154KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
en_caravan_stars_0.jpg
154KB, 940x627px
>>923682
Have fun anon. And remember to stay hydrated all the time.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.